Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2020 2:48:37 PM EDT
My Weber propane gas grills is failing and the cost/effort to rebuild it is beyond me.  So I'm thinking replacement.  It's gotta be cheaper than a new Weber; I'm "between jobs."

Looking for propane with a side burner.  And I'm thinking about a Charbroil at Lowe's.

I see they have "regular" and they have infrared.  

I know wood and charcoal is the best.  But, sadly, I need the convenience of gas.

Any thoughts/experience with this infrared idea?

Link Posted: 5/8/2020 4:43:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a small, portable infrared propane grill I bought to use on my sportfishing boat.

I bought it because the infrared feature vaporizes most of the fat and grease, which are problems on a boat. It works very well, but you cannot get a true black and blue steak (aka: Pittsburg - burnt outside, still rare or even cool in the center) like I can get on my Weber Summit with sear burner (or better, if I'm not feeling lazy, a Weber kettle.) The winning feature of the infrared is reduced, almost nonexistent flare ups, but to get a black and blue steak you need the flare up!

This is the infrared grill I have: https://www.westmarine.com/buy/magma--catalina-2-infrared-gourmet-series-gas-grill--15972599?recordNum=6

Also, FWIW, my Weber grill was starting to go a couple of years ago, the burners, flavor bars, grates and even the box. I called Weber, gave them the serial # and they sent replacements free of charge. The burners, flavor bars and grates were easy and got changed. The box was going to be a pita, and I tossed it. My original firebox still has several years left, though it has one hole in it. So maybe Weber will provide free parts?
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 6:01:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I have 3 char broil infrared grills. I liked them because of not flaring up. The earlier 2 have a stainless facade but most of the grill is regular steel. They started rusting after 6-8 years. My latest is almost all stainless. We'll see how long it lasts.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 6:29:24 PM EDT
[#3]
When my Weber goes I will try one of the Charbroil infrared grills. I figure I've got a couple of years yet.

The price is a bargain compared to the replacement cost of my Weber Summit (which has been the best gas grill I've ever owned by far.)
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 11:23:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Just wondering but what is wrong with the Weber? My 22 year old Weber, while tired, is still going. I just put new burners in it for $25 plus 30 minutes time... super easy to do...
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 8:42:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SigOwner_P229:
Just wondering but what is wrong with the Weber? My 22 year old Weber, while tired, is still going. I just put new burners in it for $25 plus 30 minutes time... super easy to do...
View Quote

Weber300, about 8 years old. Very frequent use. Igniter seems to be shot.  I've been lighting manually.  One burner is extremely weak.  It probably needs new flavor bars again.  It looks like maybe $125 in parts.  But it looks like a hassle to replace the igniter and the burners.  The videos I watched said I virtually had to remove the whole front.  And, of course, they were demonstrating on a new, clean grill!  It was cost + hassle = new grill.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 9:46:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 10:12:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks DV8.

Link Posted: 5/9/2020 11:45:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 12:05:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top