Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:43:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Pretty nice setup........ what helmet and IR Illuminator do you use?
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:44:31 PM EDT
[#2]

How is the Nightfox Cape treating you?
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:49:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I agree with your assessment, the flaws that you point out.

I like the fact that the GlassOwl binoculars I purchased can see out to 500 yards or so, but if I'm pointing it at a person, they can probably see the red blob from the infrared side, and I don't see any way I can use it to point a rifle or carbine, because I'm using one hand to hold the binoculars and need two hands for the carbine. So I can see things close up or far away, but if I need to shoot at something, I'm still going to have to do that in the dark.

The other models that can be mounted to a helmet...you could use those with a carbine, but you will have to move your head back six or eight inches to get the sights lined up. I guess with practice you could do it, but it sounds unwieldy.
View Quote

It's impressive that you can see out to 500 yards. That's probably the best use case for these...spotting baddies or critters from a long ways off. At 500 yards your IR glow probably isn't likely to be spotted by the naked eye either. Shooting with them I don't think makes much sense for the reasons you pointed out.

In order to helmet mount or shoot with any of these options you'd want a 1:1 zoom and some sort of IR laser on your rifle. I don't think these cheaper devices can focus on anything under a meter (so traditional sights and red dots are not going to be an option).

With a 1:1 zoom and something like this on your rifle/pistol you'd actually have a very inexpensive setup that would work as long as you don't mind throwing a lot of IR around. That comes down to knowing your enemy's capabilities and your own limitations.

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:51:17 PM EDT
[#4]

Can you take some video or stills for us with that setup?
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:56:11 PM EDT
[#5]

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:57:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I have a pvs-14 I use at work....

need something at the house...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ill just get a pair of PVS-7 if my stocks pan out well.

I have a pvs-14 I use at work....

need something at the house...

I need a job that requires me to use NV.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:29:00 PM EDT
[#7]

Let me guess....made in Chyna.

How thick is your neck?

Plz post a video of you doing some shooting, I could use the laughs.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:32:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What it comes down to is this: if you're a plebe, with zero NV experience, like most, these are pretty effective. Plain and simple. The "wow" factor is there, no matter how minimal, for us amateurs.

For the high speed, Tier1, Operators, who can make their own night vision with a mason jar, and a  3 lightning bugs, these are junk. Very underwhelming, when you're used to having PVS-14 or similar NVGs.
View Quote

Contrary to what the gear geeks here on Arf think, hardly anyone (<1% of the population) is going to be running around with any night vision capability at the end of days. It's just not that common or even accessible to the average citizen.

With that said, having a set of these cheap binocs and an IR laser would probably give the average citizen warlord status within their neighborhood (at least for a short while).
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:52:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Its not military quality but better than a 1950's flashlight
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:54:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08LW3QKP1/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A3DWNDOWB9PU0F&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MNLD6C2/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=A3OUDPJCHZLQ3L&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WNHVH24/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_3?smid=A1F59EKMAVB96G&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IQPD9DU/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_4?smid=ACSWHAS0RUSKH&psc=1

dont buy the flashlight mount its too small for that light I "Forced" it to work find another one.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:54:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

How thick is your neck?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

How thick is your neck?

I bought this to hunt rodents in the yard at night not for combat...
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:55:11 PM EDT
[#12]
A year ago, I would have said PVS 7 body and a quality Omni VII tube for it.  

I still think that's viable IF you can find a decent tube for 500 bucks or less.   But that's a big IF now.

I don't follow night vision market as closely as I should.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:00:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How thick is your neck?

Ok, please film that. I love seeing rodents die under NV/Thermal.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:18:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

How will you be aiming?
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:24:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

How will you be aiming?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How will you be aiming?

tested in the bed room with irons and red dot on lowest setting seemed to work...

looking for a small ir laser for pistol now...
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:26:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

tested in the bed room with irons and red dot on lowest setting seemed to work...

View Quote

That's surprising. I figured it would be all out of focus that close in. Good deal.

ETA: https://tnvc.com/shop/steiner-tnvc-tor-mini-ir-vpc-variable-power-control/?doing_wp_cron=1611368833.4504530429840087890625
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:17:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

That's surprising. I figured it would be all out of focus that close in. Good deal.

ETA: https://tnvc.com/shop/steiner-tnvc-tor-mini-ir-vpc-variable-power-control/?doing_wp_cron=1611368833.4504530429840087890625
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

tried it outside.

IR on binos light washes out the red dot. ir mounted on front of gun and you can use it at 10 yards in or so.
Irons are still usable.

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:19:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

@BURN
I picked up one of these (some other members mentioned them), but haven't tried using it yet. Was said to be ok for 22lr. Ships from Chyna tho

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Subcompact-Tactical-Laser-Sight-for-Self-Defense-Picatinny-Handguns-and-Pistols/254362445905?pageci=d1c7e07a-f38a-4a9b-9137-a56cae4c9971
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:20:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

@BURN
I picked up one of these (some other members mentioned them), but haven't tried using it yet. Was said to be ok for 22lr. Ships from Chyna tho

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Subcompact-Tactical-Laser-Sight-for-Self-Defense-Picatinny-Handguns-and-Pistols/254362445905?pageci=d1c7e07a-f38a-4a9b-9137-a56cae4c9971
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@BURN

Going to order one. thanks
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:20:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

The TNVC Tor Mini is a fine piece of gear, I got one like 4 months ago.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:29:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ordered the china one for my suppressed cp33 if it works ok with this set up might order the steiner for one of my 9mm's
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:31:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Waste of money.

Add $1000 to it and get yourself a used PVS-7 or PVS-14
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:34:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@BURN

@BURN
Also if you can find one of these. I can confirm that these work on something like a Ruger 10/22. Some members have claimed decent results on 5.56 and 9mm long guns.

The 2 lasers are not slaved, but you can have them both on at the same time. Zero visible in the day, adjust the ir to match under NODs at night.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NcStar-Green-IR-Infrared-Laser-Designator-Box-w-QR-Mount-Pressure-Switch/192121056637

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:41:48 AM EDT
[#24]
The Nightfox Cape is no longer in stock at Amazon and it says it is unavailable and it's unknown if or when it will be in stock again.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:42:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The Nightfox Cape is no longer in stock at Amazon and it says it is unavailable and it's unknown if or when it will be in stock again.
View Quote

Sold out, will probably be in stock when the company receives more shipments from China.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:03:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Video with recording of night shooting with NightFox Cape recording.

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:31:02 AM EDT
[#27]

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:38:39 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHbGJwZwOiw
View Quote

Thats the video that made me pull the trigger on this.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:59:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I am far from an expert on NV or fighting day or night.

I know just enough to know that having the stuff is a small part of the equation. Getting out and practicing with it is a big deal. Otherwise you're a fumbling, bumbling, goofball, stumbling around in the dark with some gadgets and guns.

Competent training, then practice/experience. I'm still learning shit I didn't know that I didn't know.
View Quote
Bumbler here.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:17:01 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Hell, that's WAY better than the issued NV we had in the 80's.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:28:57 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's like you are waking around with a giant spot light on your head to anyone with even gen 2.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:29:51 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Hell, that's WAY better than the issued NV we had in the 80's.
View Quote

That was almost 40 years ago. I hope things improved.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:30:45 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

It's like you are waking around with a giant spot light on your head to anyone with even gen 2.
View Quote

Fair enough, but what amount of people near you own NVG in the first place? Maybe 1/100 or 1/500? It may depend on where you are from, but I'm not expecting many near me to own NVGs at all in a Liberal area like NOVA.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:51:13 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Fair enough, but what amount of people near you own NVG in the first place? Maybe 1/100 or 1/500? It may depend on where you are from, but I'm not expecting many near me to own NVGs at all in a Liberal area like NOVA.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've never met a person in my state that owns night vision. That said, in a serious situation, there's no fucking way I'd be running any IR light more than absolutely necessary. But I also have two gen2+ units and two gen3 units.

All it takes is one person to see you and that IR light will look the same as a white light to someone under NODs.

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:09:42 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

No clue how many people own it around here. But all the people I hang out with do.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:11:43 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Waste of money.

Add $1000 to it and get yourself a used PVS-7 or PVS-14
View Quote

I'd hate to see what a clapped out $1200 PVS-14 looks like. Probably not much better than one of these cheap binos.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:19:57 AM EDT
[#37]
very interesting
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:22:57 AM EDT
[#38]
So, basically from what I'm gathering from reading this and the Sionyx thread is that these digital NV cameras give you a leg up on adversaries with no NV at all but may actually put you in a worse position than the people with no NV against adversaries with real NV, correct?

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:25:57 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:26:06 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Wow those look.. really shitty!
View Quote

Tech is coming. The pretentious night vision assholes are going to have some really retro, overpriced toys in a few years.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:15:38 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

No clue how many people own it around here. But all the people I hang out with do.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm 41 and I have never met someone who owns any NV. I'm a member of two gun clubs. I have to imagine someone out of the 2000 members may own some.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:43:14 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Mine came with an SD card
View Quote

I just checked my case, no SD card ws in it unless I dropped it or lost it.  No worries, I have some.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:48:44 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
So, basically from what I'm gathering from reading this and the Sionyx thread is that these digital NV cameras give you a leg up on adversaries with no NV at all but may actually put you in a worse position than the people with no NV against adversaries with real NV, correct?

View Quote

Not worse then people with no night vision the same if those people are using flashlights

But to be fair if the "bad guys" are using NV and they are using IR light or laser to enhance their abilities you could see them with a pair of these with you IR turned off.

Plus most people in this thread are not looking at these as a combat rated system but rather something to use for hunting/shooting at night and I swear to God that if the rats in my yard breakout NV i am going out in a blaze of glory.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:55:05 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I got the same set for Christmas from my girlfriend OP.
I am also in SWOK.
I need to confirm that my gf is not your wife.

They do work well for what they are.
My gf and your wife did good.
View Quote

@ch1966
Does her first name start with an "L"?  
If so, the next time she is at your place, "finders-keepers"  she is yours, please keep her over there.
Where are you located?  I am in SW corner of Caddo.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:29:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018UR7BL0/

I got one of these last week. Seems pretty good for the price.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:33:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Tech is coming. The pretentious night vision assholes are going to have some really retro, overpriced toys in a few years.
View Quote

Wrong
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:31:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Not worse then people with no night vision the same if those people are using flashlights

But to be fair if the "bad guys" are using NV and they are using IR light or laser to enhance their abilities you could see them with a pair of these with you IR turned off.

Plus most people in this thread are not looking at these as a combat rated system but rather something to use for hunting/shooting at night and I swear to God that if the rats in my yard breakout NV i am going out in a blaze of glory.
View Quote

Digitals will work for spotting people who are using active IR. I'd never call them useless, I would just be very limited in what application I employ them in.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:33:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Wrong
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wrong

Yeah I don't expect low cost digital to be comparable to analog in passive (no ir use)  for at least 10 years, more like 20.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:50:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was trying to class up this thread just a little and got ignored.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:53:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Digitals will work for spotting people who are using active IR. I'd never call them useless, I would just be very limited in what application I employ them in.
View Quote

Use case is really what this comes down to. People here planning on using these to watch their livestock, hunt, camp, etc...all good. And 9 out of 10 times they'd give an advantage over 2 legged adversaries as well. Just because everyone on Arfcom owns 10 PVS-14 tubes doesn't make it normal in the real world.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top