Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/29/2022 6:58:22 PM EDT
We are a very small company making formulations.  Think "Breaking Bad" minus the illegal substances.

So far, our blending is 100% manual.  Operator fills tank, adds ingredients (by weight), does a few pH, etc. checks along the way.

Anyone familiar with ways to automate this?  We have our formulas and would like a system to turn on pumps and transfer raw materials to the blend tank using the load cell weight to add X lbs to the tank, then move on to the next ingredient.

Happy to do this in-house, so we can make adjustments, but maybe there are some canned systems out there?
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 7:33:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds pretty fun. Are most of your raw materials liquid? Sounds that way if you’re wanting to pump to a mix tank. Load cells seem to be good for certain applications, flow meters could be another option.

You would also need to think about automated valves to cut off your feeds. Variable frequency drives for your pumps and agitation. PLC for I/O controls. You could try to do some sort of push button controlled system, or expand into some HMI and software batching application.

Link Posted: 7/29/2022 7:39:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Mostly liquid, but some powders.  I envision this:

Operator chooses a recipe for product XYZ
Maybe he has to verify the tank is empty, etc.  Presses a button that says "ready to go"
System adds water to X lbs as specified by the recipe for XYZ
System energizes a buzzer telling operator that he needs to add X lbs of powder
Operator adds that powder, presses a button
System then adds liquid ABC until load cell reaches 392 lbs
System mixes formula for 3 minutes
System adds X lbs product PDQ
System energizes a buzzer asking operator to verify pH
System then adds 19 lbs Product ZZZ
System buzzes operator telling him that it's done

Is that a huge deal?  $xx,xxx?  $xxx,xxx?

Would be really cool to have that on an iPad, wirelessly controlling things.  I see that type of automation in the brewing industry.

We have a few engineers on staff that would tackle this, but none of us has any experience with this type of automation.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 10:04:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 10:19:29 PM EDT
[#4]
OP,,,This is ONE of hundreds of equipment auctions that WILL have the equipment you need. I was looking at a SALSA mfg. company the other day ( may still be here) that had most of what you are asking about.
https://www.bidspotter.com/en-us/auction-catalogues/new-mill-capital/catalogue-id-bscnew10280
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 4:32:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I use to have a client, "the family company," with one of the largest chemical manufacturing facilities in the world. Their systems were no canned in a package but custom built. I also know that the most difficult part was scheduling of production to maximize efficiency since some chemicals cannot mix going through the pipes and must be thoroughly cleaned before the next product can be made.

They also have one the largest powder mixing facilities in North America.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top