Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2021 11:09:49 PM EDT
Ordered some tooling and stuff from KBC. Needed a new dial test indicator and some odds and ends.

Used to be the cheap line items in a machine tool catalogs were Chinese, now they come from India.

Search on eBay for things like angle plates and milling vices... tons of results from India. China isn't king of cheap stuff anymore.

Honestly I don't feel bad buying shit from India, cause fuck China, China is asshoe.

Mitutoyo is still made in Japan... thank God for that.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:12:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Alot of Mitutoyo stuff is made in Brazil and has been for a long time.

eta: at least, up until a couple of months ago.  Apparently their Brazil plant just closed.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:15:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Alot of Mitutoyo stuff is made in Brazil and has been for a long time.
View Quote

Yes thats true, just not the indicator I bought.

But still I would rather send my money there than China, fuck I would gladly buy from lots of other countries than them.

I just noticed this the other day, so India is tooling up for manufacturing.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:20:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Yes thats true, just not the indicator I bought.

But still I would rather send my money there than China, fuck I would gladly buy from lots of other countries than them.
View Quote

Same.

I've got very little CCP stuff.

Fair number of Grizzly Taiwan woodworking tools.

Most all of my metrology is Starrett, a little bit of Brown and Sharpe, and one Mitutoyo 0-1.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:22:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I've seen more Taiwan and Vietnam stuff lately which is fine by me if I can't find USA.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:26:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I've seen more Taiwan and Vietnam stuff lately which is fine by me if I can't find USA.
View Quote

Taiwan = China

Unfortunate but true. Though the quality is usually better out if Taiwan than your average no name Chinese oem.

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:29:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Is it possible that Chie Na produces a product and labels it as made in a different country?
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:31:00 PM EDT
[#7]
two more weeks

biden will have his china back on top  
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:31:35 PM EDT
[#8]
A lot of prescription and over the counter meds come from India

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:32:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Is it possible that Chie Na produces a product and labels it as made in a different country?
View Quote

No, otherwise all the shit at Walmart would say “made in America”.

Too much national pride in their junk shit products to do that.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:47:31 PM EDT
[#10]
OP is correct.  Chinese labor costs have exploded in the past decade.  They're not even in the bottom third anymore, nowhere near the same ballpark as India.  They've got a ton of infrastructure now, so there are reasons to manufacture there, but they completely ran out of cheap labor.  I realize that's almost impossible to believe, but here we are.  Thanks one child policy!

Want your mind blown?  Compare them to Mexico.

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:53:38 PM EDT
[#11]
I work in a pharmacy, all the drugs went from Made in China to made in India....
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:10:51 AM EDT
[#12]
But... what about the manufacture of rubber dog shit?

I’d bet that China still rules in that department...

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:25:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Taiwan = China

Unfortunate but true. Though the quality is usually better out if Taiwan than your average no name Chinese oem.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Taiwan = China

Taiwan is Republic of China, on the island of Formosa, and is NOT CCP.  Free people (with Biden, who knows how long now).  

Taiwan=good
CCP=bad

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:02:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Since drugs were mentioned, I had a heart attack couple years ago due to "acute kidney injury." Cardiologist said to stop taking generic version of Benicar, cause there is an impurity killing kidneys and lots of lawsuits, drug was made in India.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 2:14:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Speaking of stuff made in India...

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 2:36:33 AM EDT
[#16]
I'd much rather buy cheap Indian shit than cheap Chinese shit. Indians HATE China.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 2:39:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Aren't the Trump tariff lists still in place for China?

Assuming Biden 86's those, you can count on almost all Chinese exports being 20% cheaper in the coming months.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 2:45:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Taiwan is Republic of China, on the island of Formosa, and is NOT CCP.  Free people (with Biden, who knows how long now).  

Taiwan=good
CCP=bad

View Quote

All you have to do is look at a 1/2" taiwan wratchet vs a 1/2 chinese to understand the entire situation
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 2:45:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Also brazil makes good shit too. WEG comes to mind
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 3:09:19 AM EDT
[#20]
A lot of things were moved to India to avoid the tariffs.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 3:18:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

All you have to do is look at a 1/2" taiwan wratchet vs a 1/2 chinese to understand the entire situation
View Quote

Not sure the drive size is relevant but yes Taiwan is better than PRC for tools.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 3:28:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 3:37:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Good for India.  I'd rather buy from them than China any day.

Taiwan is always good too, and they deserve our business as the bastion of Free China.  The quality of their tools is much better, too.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 3:41:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Avoid both. Indian stuff is just as low quality, if not worse.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 3:55:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
OP is correct.  Chinese labor costs have exploded in the past decade.  They're not even in the bottom third anymore, nowhere near the same ballpark as India.  They've got a ton of infrastructure now, so there are reasons to manufacture there, but they completely ran out of cheap labor.  I realize that's almost impossible to believe, but here we are.  Thanks one child policy!

Want your mind blown?  Compare them to Mexico.

https://topforeignstocks.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/Mexico-Cheap-Labour-vs-China-Chart.jpg
View Quote

I’d much rather our cheap labor be handled by Mexico and India. Especially Mexico. Give our southern neighbors jobs and dollars they can use to improve their country, which would begin to help with illegal immigration on its own, rather than going to Chinese communists who are literally using it to undermine our country and buy our government.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 4:14:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Avoid both. Indian stuff is just as low quality, if not worse.
View Quote

Absolutely.  They have less incentive and ability to launch a war against us, though.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 4:44:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Can’t I dislike both of them?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top