Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/20/2022 2:14:15 PM EDT
I have a love hate relationship with these things.  On the one hand you can definitely see progress over long periods of time.  On the other it varies so much from week to week sometimes.

I started dieting about a year ago.  I am down about 50lbs.  I have mostly been in deficit the whole time but I did bulk for 3 months to try and reboot my metabolism (seems like it worked).

Anyways last week it said I was 6.5% body fat.  That is the lowest it had been but I had not had much to drink that day.  Fast forward to today (after a weekend of camping and eating crap) it says 7.7% I have been ultra strict the last couple of days and my weight actually read lower than last time.

If I was actually 6-7% pbf I would consider my work done and move to doing a slow lean bulk.  I just don't trust the numbers on these.  I think they underestimate PBF.  I could be wrong.  I can really see my abs now and even when I am not flexing they are visible when I am active/walking etc.  I honestly think some of what I don't like in the mirror is my 41 YO old man skin.  I can't tell if I am chasing something impossible to achieve or not.  

Does anyone else use these things that really does know what their PBF is?  How did it measure up to the InBody measured PBF?
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 12:55:41 PM EDT
[#1]
If you really want an accurate measure of body fat find a place with a bod pod or dexa scan.

The at home ones are good to follow trends, but not accurate for real body fat % IME

6-7% body fat is really shredded.  Not saying you are not, but with the description you gave with abs i would guess 12% or so without seeing a picture
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 7:53:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you really want an accurate measure of body fat find a place with a bod pod or dexa scan.

The at home ones are good to follow trends, but not accurate for real body fat % IME

6-7% body fat is really shredded.  Not saying you are not, but with the description you gave with abs i would guess 12% or so without seeing a picture
View Quote

I don't think I am 6-7%.  I would like to reach 10% before changing much on my nutrition where it is at.  I may already be there.  I am not sure.  I am really starting to see my ribs more on my sides under my pecks when flexing.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 8:33:06 PM EDT
[#3]
It’s not the number that’s important-as long as your are consistent with how you test it will be a good tool.

Use it as much as you can in a fasted state before working out. Get as many data points as you can to establish a trend.
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 11:00:53 AM EDT
[#4]
NVM on this post I am going to redo it later.
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 10:13:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Alright I took these photos in a changing room at the gym today.  I just pulled my tank top off.  I realize now i should have pulled my pants up some.  Sorry .  Anyways I know I am not 6-7%.  Realistically what does my BF% look like.  I have no desire to remain in deficit any longer so regardless I am going to try and lean bulk now.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top