Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/27/2020 10:41:12 PM EDT
Heres my favorite baked beans recipe. Enjoy!

1) 1lb of navy beans, soaked overnight with a half gallon of water and 1.5T of salt.
2) Set oven 300F. Drain, rinse and pick over beans. Combine beans with : 1qt water, bay leaf, 2T dry mustard, salt+pepper to taste, 1/2c molasses, 2T packed brown sugar, 1/2 med or large onion (cut like this for easy removal at the end, or you could dice it and mix it in I suppose), 6oz salt pork sliced like i have displayed, 2T soy sauce. Bake for 3 (2 covered, last hour uncovered) hours, checking at the 1,2,3 hour mark as the liquid bakes off. When its done the liquid will be just under the surface of the beans, and the beans will be tender.
3) Remove bay leaf and onion. Serve immediately or refrigerate for 3 or 4 days ( not sure on this as Ive never needed to store them this long).

I have archived the transformation from boring beans in a bag to delicious side dish through the brine, combining and cooking. Ive added a photo at the 1,2,3 hour mark.

After the first hour.

2 hours in the over.

Done and smelling awesome!
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 10:50:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Um,,,, yeah.    Fuck yeah.

Looks terrific man. Thanks for sharing.

Link Posted: 4/27/2020 10:57:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Saved, thanks.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 11:13:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Old school tag to try this.

Mine is usually just a pound of black beans in a pot with water, add 1 packet of Lipton onion soup mix, cube up a can of spam, then cook until beans are soft.

Not even close to yours, but easy and delicious.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 12:37:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I’m sure you’ll enjoy them of you get around to giving them a whirl. I keep meaning to dice up some jalapeños or serranos to throw in, of I ever remember and it’s good I’ll update the recipe.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 5:40:22 PM EDT
[#5]
That looks really good.  I've done Alton Brown's baked beans before, they're tasty.  I also do a modified version of Malcolm Reed's beans, where you add leftover bbq meat into the pot of beans and smoke them.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 9:33:54 AM EDT
[#6]
These do look great, well done.  I think some beans are in my future!
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 2:54:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Logan45:
That looks really good.  I've done Alton Brown's baked beans before, they're tasty.  I also do a modified version of Malcolm Reed's beans, where you add leftover bbq meat into the pot of beans and smoke them.
View Quote

I will add let over smoked brisket or pulled pork to a pot of pintos often. Pretty tasty.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 1:21:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By 1shott:

I will add let over smoked brisket or pulled pork to a pot of pintos often. Pretty tasty.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 1shott:
Originally Posted By Logan45:
That looks really good.  I've done Alton Brown's baked beans before, they're tasty.  I also do a modified version of Malcolm Reed's beans, where you add leftover bbq meat into the pot of beans and smoke them.

I will add let over smoked brisket or pulled pork to a pot of pintos often. Pretty tasty.

Me too, but I don't add it to the pot but instead I kind of chop up the smoked pork butt and keep in a container in the fridge. Then whenever I heat up a bowl of barracho beans I just add how much I want to my bowl. That smokey flavor kicks them up another notch.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 7:43:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Tagscribage
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top