Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/2/2020 4:18:24 PM EDT
I have an old GT Avalanche 2.0 that has had some upgrades (hydraulic disc brakes for example), but it still has a triple drive train and 26" tires. I'm wanting to spend less than $1,000 and just get a decent bike with a 1x9 or 1x10. I won't be doing any major downhills, jumps, or anything super rocky. I do not want fat tires. And I THINK I'd be fine with 27.5" tires instead of 29".

Anyway, I came across the Diamondback Line and the Vitus Nucleus VRS in my searching. Specs seem good on these bikes, especially for around $750.

Anything wrong with either of them? Is one any better than the other? Since everything is sold out temporarily, I have a little time to consider options.

Any advice is appreciated.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 10:02:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Between those two, the vitus has an air fork, that’s more Adjustable but less travel. I had a spring/hydraulic fork and didn’t like it. Too stiff. The vitus looks to have a slacker angle too so more forgiving. I would like to see it have 120mm travel min though.
The vitus also has a lower geared transmission too so better for climbing.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 11:30:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for that. I’m very new to this so I’m not at all entirely sure what’s necessary.
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 4:28:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Got to try out a 29” Kona. My next will be a 29”
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 6:57:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Got to try out a 29” Kona. My next will be a 29”
View Quote

I love, Love, LOVE, my 29.
Link Posted: 6/18/2020 11:23:30 AM EDT
[#5]
After being off the mtn bike for 19 years, I thought the 27.5 was the way to go.  You have to go to shops and test ride.  Most will let you rent for a half-day or whole day.  I'm now on a 29er that I love.
Link Posted: 6/18/2020 1:05:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Pinkbike did a "field trip" video series on YouTube a few months ago that compared a bunch of budget bikes that might be worth checking out.

edit: Get 29" if you are riding for fitness, 27.5 is for people who like to be playful on a bike, get in the air, and have better cornering.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 4:20:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have an old GT Avalanche 2.0 that has had some upgrades (hydraulic disc brakes for example), but it still has a triple drive train and 26" tires. I'm wanting to spend less than $1,000 and just get a decent bike with a 1x9 or 1x10. I won't be doing any major downhills, jumps, or anything super rocky. I do not want fat tires. And I THINK I'd be fine with 27.5" tires instead of 29". . .

d.
View Quote

OP: sounds like you considered upgrading the Avalanche 2.0 to a 1x10 single chain ring.  

Did you ultimately  buy a new bike, or upgrade the Avalanche ?

I have the SAME bike; even considered upgrading it.

Attachment Attached File

But I will likely just upgrade to dual-suspension with 1x11 or 1x12.

Don’t buy a Trek or a Fuji, whatever you do.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 8:56:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Vitus has some killer specs for the money, that's what I would recommend.
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 11:05:18 AM EDT
[#9]
edit: Get 29" if you are riding for fitness, 27.5 is for people who like to be playful on a bike, get in the air, and have better cornering.

Not true anymore.

A 29er has Superior roll over 27.5 bike. As far as being "playful" a well designed 29er gives up nothing to a 27.5 bike.
Five years ago that was somewhat of a legitimate statement.
Not anymore.
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 11:20:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Not true anymore.

A 29er has Superior roll over 27.5 bike. As far as being "playful" a well designed 29er gives up nothing to a 27.5 bike.
Five years ago that was somewhat of a legitimate statement.
Not anymore.
View Quote

Agreed 100%. With modern 29" geometry, I wouldn't go 27.5.
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 12:27:21 PM EDT
[#11]
I know where this is going - MARLIN 7!
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 12:35:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

You have my attention.  What I’m considering:

- 29 in.
- dual suspension
- 1x12 SRAM drivetrain
- hydraulic disc brakes
- aluminum frame; hopefully more up to date than my 2006 GT Avalanche

What will the Vitus cost me with those features?
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 3:59:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

- 29 in.
- dual suspension
- 1x12 SRAM drivetrain
- hydraulic disc brakes

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

- 29 in.
- dual suspension
- 1x12 SRAM drivetrain
- hydraulic disc brakes

Vitus will be good no doubt, literal shit-ton of bike for the money, but another company I like is Jamis, the Avalanche series.  Looking at some of the full squish Vitus bikes they have on their site, they have a lot of travel, and looks like they don't have a rear shock lockout(I admit I didn't look at all of them though)  That translates to a lot of pedal bob going uphill, and a lot of wasted pedal power.  Thats all good for the young bucks riding downhill parks with a skilift taking them back uphill but not so great for regular trail riding in hilly country.  Just looking at some of the pics you posted, which look like fun with tje family BTW, I'd look at a good short travel FS bike or even a good trail hardtail with good geometry and the drivetrain you want.  But somthing with 140mm travel front and back, you'd be overbiked for the trails you're riding. Assuming of course you're not planning on riding much more challenging trails in the future, but you haven't specified the kind of riding you plan on.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 11:42:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Vitus will be good no doubt, literal shit-ton of bike for the money, but another company I like is Jamis, the Avalanche series.  Looking at some of the full squish Vitus bikes they have on their site, they have a lot of travel, and looks like they don't have a rear shock lockout(I admit I didn't look at all of them though)  That translates to a lot of pedal bob going uphill, and a lot of wasted pedal power.  Thats all good for the young bucks riding downhill parks with a skilift taking them back uphill but not so great for regular trail riding in hilly country.  Just looking at some of the pics you posted, which look like fun with tje family BTW, I'd look at a good short travel FS bike or even a good trail hardtail with good geometry and the drivetrain you want.  But somthing with 140mm travel front and back, you'd be overbiked for the trails you're riding. Assuming of course you're not planning on riding much more challenging trails in the future, but you haven't specified the kind of riding you plan on.
View Quote

Ahh - good point.  I didn’t detail my / our riding:

I ride hard tails with my kids (age 12 and 10) - mostly in local parks, but also several trips to this place (I’m not as fast as this guy) :

Fountainhead Green Trail // VA MTB

If the kids stay in shape over the winter, I hope to take them on a low-pressure, beginner XC event like maybe this one (sold out for 2020, but maybe in 2021:  )

https://www.blueridgeadventures.net/couch-potato/race-3/

My kids are really tall for only being 10 and 12; they can already ride my large-size GT Avalanche Disc (from way back in 2006) if I lower the seat height.  Daughter is on a Cannondale Trail 7 and son on a C0-OP DRT - the hard tail with hydraulic disc  brakes.

My idea is to buy a newer 29” bike for myself that hopefully my kids can also try out - IF they really get into XC and could make use of a better bike.

They also love the downhill ski lessons they’ve done, so I feel like getting summer lift tickets for downhill biking might be just as fun for them to try.  Son especially loves going fast; his ski teacher wanted to take him on black diamond runs and felt he could handle it.

Who knows what sports will “stick?”  If they end up hating biking as teenagers, I guess I’ll still have a decent bike to take the MTB parks around here.

I will take your advice and take a look at the Vitus and the Jamis Avalanche series MTBs.

Thanks!  

(Btw I’m 6’2”; my kids are currently 5’10 and 5’8 or so, and growing like weeds).

Link Posted: 10/19/2020 6:01:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I ride hard tails with my kids (age 12 and 10) - mostly in local parks, but also several trips to this place (I’m not as fast as this guy) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqMd1p7yYME

If the kids stay in shape over the winter, I hope to take them on a low-pressure, beginner XC event like maybe this one (sold out for 2020, but maybe in 2021:  )

My kids are really tall for only being 10 and 12; they can already ride my large-size GT Avalanche Disc (from way back in 2006) if I lower the seat height.  Daughter is on a Cannondale Trail 7 and son on a C0-OP DRT - the hard tail with hydraulic disc  brakes.

My idea is to buy a newer 29” bike for myself that hopefully my kids can also try out - IF they really get into XC and could make use of a better bike.

They also love the downhill ski lessons they’ve done, so I feel like getting summer lift tickets for downhill biking might be just as fun for them to try.  Son especially loves going fast; his ski teacher wanted to take him on black diamond runs and felt he could handle it.

Who knows what sports will “stick?”  If they end up hating biking as teenagers, I guess I’ll still have a decent bike to take the MTB parks around here.

I will take your advice and take a look at the Vitus and the Jamis Avalanche series MTBs.

Thanks!  

(Btw I’m 6’2”; my kids are currently 5’10 and 5’8 or so, and growing like weeds).

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqMd1p7yYME

Thanks!  

Thanks for the video.  From what I saw that trail and ones like it are tailor made for a good hardtail.  Long, flowy with little to no features - that's hardtail heaven.  He edited out the climbs which makes me think they were a bit lengthy, even more argument for a good hardtail bike with a good drivetrain.  Now that's not to say you can't ride a FS bike on that trail, of course you could, the question is what at what costs and benefits.  You're looking at easily twice as much for the upfront cost of the bike.  You're going to expend more energy on the FS bike overall, moreso on the climbs, for little benefit especially on trails like the one in the video, the FS is really only going to help you go faster on a rockier, rougher descent (which I didn't see on that trail).  To me, that trail and ones like it are XC bike territory all the way.  Nothing on that trail to indicate otherwise.  I'd have the most fun on a XC hardtail on that trail, hands down.

As for the kids and wanting to try downhill, that's hard to say for me.  Bikes can be a whole lot of coin, especially ones built to take the kind of pounding of downhill riding.  Then if they don't like it, now you have to try to sell the bike to recoup the several thousand you spent on it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top