Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/20/2020 2:26:03 PM EDT
So my group of buddies and I are big FPS fans, and have been riding the WarZone wave since it came out. However, we’ve grown tired of Activision’s absolutely criminal mismanagement of the game, from doing eff-all about hackers, to breaking twice as many things as they fix with updates, to their latest Charlie Foxtrot of blending their latest ass cake, “CoD: Cold War,” with Modern Warfare/WarZone. They started out with SOOO much potential, and then squandered their gift.

We don’t plan to abandon it entirely, but we need something else for when we get burned out or need a change of pace/scenery. We play R6:Siege and enjoy it for what it is, but we want a more open world experience like what Battle Royale style games offer. Heck, another BR game would be great, but PUBG and Fornite aren’t quite the right style and/or have too many hackers as well.

We’re united in our hate of people who go bunny hopping around corners and land headshots in midair. We’re hoping for a fairly realistic, but at the very least a well balanced, team-based experience with more than just twitchy, in-your-face CQC shootouts. Two of us have BF4 and BF1, so maybe we just need to convince the others to get it?

I’d love a Metro or STALKER type shooter (survival/post-apocalyptic). While I do have Escape From Tarkov, my PC can’t handle it and we can’t afford a newer one right at this moment, so I’m limited to the PS4. What’s out there for us to check out?
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 3:34:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Not strictly first person but you're basically describing Vigor. I haven't played it as it's not on PC but it looks like a Tarkov-lite for consoles. Seems like it'd be right up your alley. Other than that I think the pickins are pretty slim. I think there's a couple that would be good to check out but they're on Xbox so that doesn't do you much good. If you're not completely opposed to PC (depending on your specs?) then Squad, Post Scriptum, Hell Let Loose, and Rising Storm 2: Vietnam would all be some good ones to look into. You basically named most of the other shooters on console though.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 2:12:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Doom and Doom Eternal are fantastic FPSs, albeit single player. Have you tried GTA online?

If you can stand playing co-op with your friends and not always competitive, I'd suggest Borderlands 3. Pretty rock solid game. The Division 2 and Ghost Recon: Wildlands are also rock solid co-op shooters, but in third person (which is better for those types of games anyway IMO).

Wildlands had one of the most unique competitive multiplayer modes I've ever seen. 4v4 class-based combat on big ass maps where camouflage and ghillie suits actually work... could spend literally 2/3 of a round creeping through the jungle trying to find the other team. It was awesome.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 1:11:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the feedback, gents.

I did end up snagging Vigor (it was free, so why not?), and though I’ve only played Shootout and a small handful of Encounters, I’m digging it so far. The third person perspective is taking a little getting used to, and aiming took awhile to dial in, but I like it a lot. I really enjoy the different environments and day/night maps. Graphics are good, the sounds are great, and I enjoy the ability to hop in an encounter, loot a bit, and bail when I’m ready to.

I did get popped using a phone once. I had no idea what it did, but it had a “use” prompt, so I figured it had loot somehow. Nope! Instead I got hunted down by the other duel participant. Joke was on him though, I had squat for loot (went in without any weapons and only had a few resources I’d picked up), LOL.

The second time, I was dumb enough to answer the phone as it rang, but as soon as I did, I realized what I’d done and beat feet towards an exist.

As for Borderlands and the others suggested, I may pick them up eventually. Turns out half of the guys I play with aren’t interested in a 3rd person shooter, and the other half said Borderlands was “too cartoony” for their tastes. So that narrowed it down for me a bit. I may still get them when they’re on sale or something just to try out, though.

But for now, I appreciate the Vigor suggestion, it’s my new jam!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top