User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 2:52:10 PM EDT
[#1]
HP MP 1/7 chrome lined  is what I use .
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 3:13:26 PM EDT
[#2]
All my AR are Colt so it's chrome. Now I did recently pick up a PSA which is nitride so I'll get to check that out.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 3:16:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Chrome or go home...

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 3:39:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Realistically how susceptible are unlined steel barrels to rust?

I have a Colt 16” 1/9 carbine length HBAR barrel that Adco turned to medium profile (at the same time it was threaded for a FS).  It is unlined but does have a chrome chamber. And if it is ever out in inclement weather the bore will be cleaned.  It is old school 1/9 and carbine gas.

I have considered swapping it out for something chrome lined, 1/7, mid length.

But it is a really accurate barrel, even with Black Hills 68 grain (I have not tried it with SMK 77 grain but should, that would be interesting).  And the medium contour was really nicely done.

I don’t need to chase cool guy specs, but rust is the only thing I would be concerned about. So realistically what conditions and lack of maintenance would it take to hurt an unlined barrel?  Are we talking days in a swamp, or something as simple as getting wet and not cleaned that night?

I maintain my stuff, I am just looking for where the limits are.
View Quote

I am bumping this to hopefully get a response. Anyone used and abused an unlined barrel?
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 3:45:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I have nothing against chrome lined barrels, but wish they could use a better exterior finish than phosphate/parkerizing.

Nitride seems to be the superior finish for exterior corrosion resistance, and holds up much better in damp/wet environments like the soggy PNW, in my personal experience.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 3:45:06 PM EDT
[#6]
I doubt realistically anyone here shoots enough to notice a difference.

Nitride has the added rust protection on the outside of the barrel.

I still like my chrome guns because I’m old school.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 4:01:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I didn’t know that aftermarket nitride was available. How much for an AR barrel?
View Quote

The place I use does not do your typical Nitriding, they use a process called Blacknitride+, it is an enhanced Nitride process.

You can look at the parts done and tell it is different, they are a deep glossy black that is smooth as glass. And the stuff is very tough. They use a proprietary salt bath process that has some type of lubrication chemicals in it that bond to the part, the stuff is slick as gorilla snot.

Rubber City Armory is owned by them.

You can get every steel and stainless steel part done for $250.00 per rifle, including your firing pin if you wish.

H&M Metal Processing

http://blacknitride.com/
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 4:05:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Chrome lined nitrided stainless steel ftw
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 4:34:55 PM EDT
[#9]
My chrome lined Noveske 16" shoots 3/8" at 100 yds with hand loads. I'm good with that.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 6:35:47 PM EDT
[#10]
A good barrel is a good barrel.

I'll take a good shooting nitride barrel over a pile of shit barrel with a chromed bore and chamber any day.

That being said, some places do chrome better than others. Noveske makes some spectacular chrome lined barrels as well as Daniel Defense, and you WILL pay a premium for them.

Nitride is a cheaper process. that being said, it's not equally proportional to a decrease in performance under chrome lined. A well finished barrel that is nitrided will generally have an edge in accuracy in the beginning vs that same barrel in chrome just from the fact a nitride is a surface treatment, not a coating. Over time and use, a well done chrome coating will eventually equal, and surpass a nitride barrel in it's ability to hold accuracy, especially at the throat against erosion.

So, if you see yourself taking a carbine course every other week, spend the money on the chrome barrel and you will likely make up the difference in price before your barrel is flat ass worn out.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 6:38:18 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm not picky.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 6:42:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Go chrome of go home.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:34:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Chrome for hard use and stainless for precision? Bullshit, get nitride barrels and have your hard use and precision in one. Chrome was the answer in the 60's, but things have gotten better. Nitride is the way to go. Consistency in a long wearing barrel. Chrome was the answer to poor carbon steel barrels in a hot humid environment, but times changed and a better process has come along.

I still have chromed lined and stainless barrels on some of my AR's. They still serve their function ( I won't shoot them out with the way I shoot), but nitrided barrels have given me longevity and accuracy in one package.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top