Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 8/2/2021 8:51:25 PM EDT
Edit for anyone who hasn't seen this all yet. Already bought everything I needed. Easy Jig 3 (5D was out of stock) DeWalt router, etc. Cut my first with good results and now working towards the 2nd.
Attachment Attached File

OK, now I've done it. Never did the 80% thing.

Likely will be my one and only, but who knows.

Did some googling for jigs. Lots out there. Not looking to spend three or 4 hundred bucks for something I may only use once.

Any reasonably priced options that aren't going to leave me frustrated with a scrapped receiver?
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 8:54:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Lol
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 8:55:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Lol
View Quote

Better off using it as a paper weight then?
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 8:55:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Spend the money on a decent jig.
Use once or twice
Sell, recoupe most of your cash.

Link Posted: 8/2/2021 8:56:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Better buy half a bunch more 80% receivers to reduce the cost per gun... That's the logic that made me build three FALs last year
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 8:58:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Did some googling for jigs. Lots out there. Not looking to spend three or 4 hundred bucks for something I may only use once.

Any reasonably priced options that aren't going to leave me frustrated with a scrapped receiver?
View Quote

5D Tactical

Get the multi platform jig. AR-9, AR-10, AR-15 all in one.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 9:03:04 PM EDT
[#6]
From personal experience, trying to do one without a nice jig and router is just going to frustrate you and give you a shitty looking lower. Looks like you’re buying a 5d jig and dewalt router
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 9:09:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
From personal experience, trying to do one without a nice jig and router is just going to frustrate you and give you a shitty looking lower. Looks like you’re buying a 5d jig and dewalt router
View Quote

Yeah. I looked at that one at the link posted above your post. Puts me in the 400 dollar range all said and done.

Guess I'll have to get a couple dozen more 80% receivers to make it worthwhile.
OK, now what router?
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 9:32:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yeah. I looked at that one at the link posted above your post. Puts me in the 400 dollar range all said and done.

OK, now what router?
View Quote

I'd perhaps check out what 5D recommends, assuming you're going to use their router specific cutter. The Rigid from HD works OK, though you've got to watch the lock as it's prone to moving (keep a thumb on it), there's probably better choices.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 9:34:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lol

That Lol was probably in response to the "only do it once" part of your post...
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 9:37:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Good for you. Buy more. Buy a 3D printer. Teach others.

Become ungovernable. Fuck the king.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 9:39:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

OK, now what router?
View Quote

DeWalt. Get the DeWalt.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 9:40:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

OK, now what router?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
From personal experience, trying to do one without a nice jig and router is just going to frustrate you and give you a shitty looking lower. Looks like you're buying a 5d jig and dewalt router

OK, now what router?

Link Posted: 8/2/2021 9:44:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

5D Tactical

Get the multi platform jig. AR-9, AR-10, AR-15 all in one.
View Quote

+1 to this. I've always done lowers on a proper Bridgeport with a basic jig, a DRO and a set of prints.

Tried a 5D with a router and I'm blown away. Did 3 in the time I usually do 1-2 on a mill. Setup is crazy easy and fast. It just works. Liked it enough that I borrowed my buddy's jig and I'm not the designated 80% guy.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 9:49:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

DeWalt. Get the DeWalt.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK, now what router?

DeWalt. Get the DeWalt.

Yeah, DeWalt seems to be whats available locally. Corded? Cordless? Any difference? Corded is cheaper and I'm already in to this deal more than I wanted to be.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 9:49:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Why do they call them 80% receivers?

Because 80% of them turn out badly due to people with no metal working skills attempting to do the 20% finishing machine work with wood working work tools.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 9:53:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Good for you. Buy more. Buy a 3D printer. Teach others.

Become ungovernable. Fuck the king.
View Quote

This is the way.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 9:54:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Corded.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 9:55:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

OK, now what router?
View Quote

There are members who have them they will loan out.  Just keep the thread alive and I would bet someone will come along.

Oh, now buy a 3D printer.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 10:01:45 PM EDT
[#19]
You should have just bought a legit receiver for less after all is said and done. Is it anodized? if not trash. If you'tr not a machinist? good luck with it. It will look like crap when you butcher it.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 10:04:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

There are members who have them they will loan out.  Just keep the thread alive and I would bet someone will come along.

Oh, now buy a 3D printer.
View Quote

Thats a pretty decent investment to loan out over the net. I'm sure someone might offer, but I'll just buy it so I can keep it.

I've followed the 3-D printer thing for quite a while now. Not super computer/electronics literate, so I don't know about that yet.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 10:07:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Thats a pretty decent investment to loan out over the net. I'm sure someone might offer, but I'll just buy it so I can keep it.

I've followed the 3-D printer thing for quite a while now. Not super computer/electronics literate, so I don't know about that yet.
View Quote

3D printing Glocks is easier than milling an 80%.  I do both but don't own the 5D, I went to see a fellow Cola Warrior to make mine, he has the jig.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 10:09:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
You should have just bought a legit receiver for less after all is said and done. Is it anodized? if not trash. If you'tr not a machinist? good luck with it. It will look like crap when you butcher it.
View Quote

The only thing true in the above is that it is not cheaper to finish yourself.  But you likely already know this.
In the white receivers will outlast you.  If you don't like the look, spray paint it.  Krylon flat black enamel holds up well if you degrease it first.
Plenty of non-machinists have finished them with jigs.  Why do you think they are after 80% manufacturers.
Will it look as good as a commercial receiver?  Not likely.

Get a decent corded trim router, follow the directions, and go slow.  Check out the build it yourself forum here for great info.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 10:10:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

So how many have you butchered then?
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 10:10:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well, aren't you a ray of sunshine!

Yes, its anodized. I am not a machinist in the strictest meaning of that word, but I do have metal working experience in an industrial setting, aluminum and cast iron (CNC operator, not CNC Machinist, we operated, changed tools, made adjustments and offsets, but no programming. They decided that was electrician work).

I think I can hog out a fire control pocket and drill some holes.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 10:11:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

The only thing true in the above is that it is not cheaper to finish yourself.  But you likely already know this.
In the white receivers will outlast you.  If you don't like the look, spray paint it.  Krylon flat black enamel holds up well if you degrease it first.
Plenty of non-machinists have finished them with jigs.  Why do you think they are after 80% manufacturers.
Will it look as good as a commercial receiver?  Not likely.

Get a decent corded trim router, follow the directions, and go slow.  Check out the build it yourself forum here for great info.
View Quote

A 5D jig and sharp endmills can produce damn near perfect results.

My pistol isn’t done yet. I am waiting on my barrel and sights.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 10:12:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

This can't be serious...can it?
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 10:14:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

21er with 10 posts. Likely one of the Kings men not liking another peasant bucking the system.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 10:16:25 PM EDT
[#28]
OP you failed at the first rule of 80%

Hint, it's the same as the 2nd rule.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 10:19:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have multiple registered NFA items, Im a registered Republican and I'm a member here. I'm already on all the lists.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 10:25:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I have multiple registered NFA items, Im a registered Republican and I'm a member here. I'm already on all the lists.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is the way.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 11:43:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Well, well.

I just got my first 2 80% lowers in the mail today.

Jig and router are next.
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 10:24:30 AM EDT
[#32]
A member here recommended a foot operated switch. I love mine, nice to have both hands on the router when it spins up.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VSF64RM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have a mill and an 80% arms Jig. Takes about 4 hours on the Mill, about an hour on the jig.
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 10:35:09 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
Might as well have bought a complete one now that you have documented that you have it.
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 10:37:04 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

So....did you actually read any threads in the "build it yourself" area of the forum ??

Have you watched any youtube videos ??

Start there.
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 11:46:44 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Might as well have bought a complete one now that you have documented that you have it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh look, another one.

I bought it on a whim, thinking "You know, that might be a fun thing to do. Would be interesting to complete an 80% lower to put the dedicated .22lr upper I just completed on, instead of just having it as a spare upper to stick on a lower from another gun I already have."

I did not buy it thinking "I have to have a lower with no serial number so THE MAN doesn't know I have it! That way, when the bans and raids come to confiscate my shit, they'll only be looking for guns they know I have and won't know to look for this one! HAHAHAHA!"

Ever bought a firearm you filled out a 4473 on? They know who you are already.

Ever gone to a gun show? They know who you are already.

Ever written a letter, email or called your senator to appose a proposed firearm bill? They know who you are already.

Ever participate in those online comment periods for BATF proposed regulation changes? They know who you are already.

Belong to any pro gun websites? They know who you are already.

Got any weapons cached on land that doesn't belong to you? Didn't take your cellphone with you when you did it did you? Didn't drive a modern vehicle there did you? You also killed and buried they guy that helped you do it in a different location didnt you?

Some of yall are wound up too tight.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 12:11:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

21er with 10 posts. Likely one of the Kings men not liking another peasant bucking the system.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or, he's just a no talent hack with a router and end mill.
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 12:56:56 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm not a machinist, but somehow managed.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 1:11:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Mill it with a REAL machine using prints.

No “jigs” required.

Or have a buddy mill it while you bring over drinks and stand there.
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 1:14:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Mill it with a REAL machine using prints.

No “jigs” required.

Or have a buddy mill it while you bring over drinks and stand there.
View Quote

Not today, ATF!
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 1:17:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I'm not a machinist, but somehow managed.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/180398/ghostguns__jpg-2038304.JPG
View Quote

monica.jpg

Now get them anodized!

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 1:17:15 PM EDT
[#41]
OP, how many operational AR15s do you own?  You need an 80% for each one (non-NFA), then you can sell your serialized receivers and as far as the .gov knows, you own nothing.  Then you can sell the jig for 90% of what you paid for it and in the end, you'll probably have made a few bucks.  

You NEED a drill press and a good router (I have the deWalt, highly recommend).  You can do the drilling without a press, but in my personal experience, the bit will wallow just a tiny bit and it'll make the holdes for the trigger, hammer and safety a bit loose, so if you do it that way, plan on buying KNS Precision pins to hold everything in place.

FTATF.
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 1:17:24 PM EDT
[#42]
I also recommend the updated 5DTactical jig and the DeWalt router.
I can easily finish a lower in well under 30 minutes.
When they proposed legislating 80% lowers I was glad that I stocked up years before that.
I think that I purchase my 80% lowers from Aero Precision for 35 bucks each in quantities of 5.
They sure got expensive.

I polished a couple up real nice and clear coated them.
A friend works on Harleys and has a powder coating machine in his shop, that's handy to have access to.
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 1:20:00 PM EDT
[#43]
80% or bust these days.   Especially in the AK market.
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 1:24:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Careful OP....I started with one 80% and a jig....now I have a Bridgeport mill in the garage
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 2:49:31 PM EDT
[#45]

That is next after I verify that I have the correct dimensions. Batch anodizing turns out to be an excellent value.
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 3:06:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
OP, how many operational AR15s do you own?  You need an 80% for each one (non-NFA), then you can sell your serialized receivers and as far as the .gov knows, you own nothing.  Then you can sell the jig for 90% of what you paid for it and in the end, you'll probably have made a few bucks.  

You NEED a drill press and a good router (I have the deWalt, highly recommend).  You can do the drilling without a press, but in my personal experience, the bit will wallow just a tiny bit and it'll make the holdes for the trigger, hammer and safety a bit loose, so if you do it that way, plan on buying KNS Precision pins to hold everything in place.

FTATF.
View Quote

I was under the impression that most folks using the 5d type jigs use hand drills with good result. Do I have that wrong? Any input appreciated. What sort of drill press would be recommended?
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 3:12:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I was under the impression that most folks using the 5d type jigs use hand drills with good result. Do I have that wrong? Any input appreciated. What sort of drill press would be recommended?
View Quote
I've done about six receivers with the 5D jig and a hand drill. It can be done, but it suuuuucks.
If you have access to a press to do the holes, especially the main pilot hole down the middle, use it.

eta:
I also don't use the included depth guides on the jig. I did that on the first one, and the floor was very thin.
Set and measure as you go with a depth mic or even a Vernier.
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 3:15:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. IMO, YMMV, etc...if you're going to do this at all you need to do it "right" and something like 5D's jig is the minimum as far as doing it "right" is concerned.

Anything less is more trouble than it's worth and results are going to be sub par.
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 3:15:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Careful OP....I started with one 80% and a jig....now I have a Bridgeport mill in the garage
View Quote
Next will be a Tormach or a Haas MiniMill!
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 3:17:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I'd perhaps check out what 5D recommends, assuming you're going to use their router specific cutter. The Rigid from HD works OK, though you've got to watch the lock as it's prone to moving (keep a thumb on it), there's probably better choices.
View Quote

I don't know how it compares to alternatives, but I got the Rigid one off a guy on craigslist for cheap. Basically, you can't just take it out of the box and use it. You need to adjust the nut on the locking clamp and tighten it a bit to make sure it's not moving. Once I did that it has been solid.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top