Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/3/2020 6:37:49 PM EDT
I am a Canadian ex-pat living in the United States. As most of you likely know by now a despicable and tragic gun ban is being enacted in Canada, and many of my friends there are facing the prospect of losing many of their guns. They've got two years to decide whether to dispose of them somehow, or become criminals. It's very sad.

My question is, which of the firearms being banned can be legally imported into the United States? In other words, to what extent can FFL's facilitate the sale of these Canadian owned firearms here? This is to provide a means for Canadian gun owners to recover some of the money they have spent on these firearms should they choose to comply (and I can tell you, many people are planning not to comply).

Here is the "order in council" listing the guns Canada is banning: http://gazette.gc.ca/rp-pr/p2/2020/2020-05-01-x3/pdf/g2-154x3.pdf

It's a list of 1500 or so guns, but summarizing, it's the following guns, with many variations called out by name:

-- AR-15, M16, AR-10 and variants
-- Ruger Mini-14 rifle
-- US Rifle M14 and variants including M1A, etc.
-- Vz58 rifle and a long list of variants
-- Robinson Arms XCR
-- CZ Scorpion EVO 3
-- Beretta Cx4 Storm
-- SIG Sauer MCX and MPX
-- Swiss Arms "classic green" and "four seasons" carbines

In addition they are banning anything capable of firing rounds with more than 10k joules of force--basically 50 Cal BMG, and anything with a bore diameter greater than 20mm.

SO.....

What of all that can legally be imported to the United States? If an FFL were to broker sales by Canadians, what can be brought in and sold here?

My reading of the law is NOT MUCH. Which is tragic. Then I think many of these guns are destined to be destroyed. I found this article which seems to imply that anything with a detachable magazine or pistol grip is a no go:  https://www.smallarmsreview.com/archive/reference.04-2017.cfm

Is that true? Any way around it? There's going to be a very large number of Canadians trying to sell their now prohibited firearms over the next two years and I'm trying to understand what the options are for these folks.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 7:17:48 PM EDT
[#1]
They can turn them into parts kits to send South. All but the receivers and (unfortunately) barrels.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 8:09:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I read that monstrosity and what a fucking nightmare. I sympathize. I own at least a half dozen rifles named on that list. I hear the PM is talking about pistols now.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 8:39:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I am a Canadian ex-pat living in the United States. As most of you likely know by now a despicable and tragic gun ban is being enacted in Canada, and many of my friends there are facing the prospect of losing many of their guns. They've got two years to decide whether to dispose of them somehow, or become criminals. It's very sad.

My question is, which of the firearms being banned can be legally imported into the United States? In other words, to what extent can FFL's facilitate the sale of these Canadian owned firearms here? This is to provide a means for Canadian gun owners to recover some of the money they have spent on these firearms should they choose to comply (and I can tell you, many people are planning not to comply).

Here is the "order in council" listing the guns Canada is banning: http://gazette.gc.ca/rp-pr/p2/2020/2020-05-01-x3/pdf/g2-154x3.pdf

It's a list of 1500 or so guns, but summarizing, it's the following guns, with many variations called out by name:

-- AR-15, M16, AR-10 and variants
-- Ruger Mini-14 rifle
-- US Rifle M14 and variants including M1A, etc.
-- Vz58 rifle and a long list of variants
-- Robinson Arms XCR
-- CZ Scorpion EVO 3
-- Beretta Cx4 Storm
-- SIG Sauer MCX and MPX
-- Swiss Arms "classic green" and "four seasons" carbines

In addition they are banning anything capable of firing rounds with more than 10k joules of force--basically 50 Cal BMG, and anything with a bore diameter greater than 20mm.

SO.....

What of all that can legally be imported to the United States? If an FFL were to broker sales by Canadians, what can be brought in and sold here?

My reading of the law is NOT MUCH. Which is tragic. Then I think many of these guns are destined to be destroyed. I found this article which seems to imply that anything with a detachable magazine or pistol grip is a no go:  https://www.smallarmsreview.com/archive/reference.04-2017.cfm

Is that true? Any way around it? There's going to be a very large number of Canadians trying to sell their now prohibited firearms over the next two years and I'm trying to understand what the options are for these folks.
View Quote
They need to just say no.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 10:17:53 PM EDT
[#4]
There are a couple of FFL's with Type 08 import licenses who participate in the FFL forum on this site.  I would ask there.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/FFL-Discussions/44/
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 10:35:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Unfortunately a lot of the popular stuff in Canada is not importable into the USA, at least for sale to consumers. We have our own AW ban which applies to imported firearms, which is much more restrictive than what is allowed for domestic firearms.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 10:45:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 7:54:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Pinging on this again. I'm going to simplify the question.

Has anyone ever legally imported an AR15?

At all?

I saw the cost breakdown and while that might be prohibitive for someone importing their own guns individually it's likely not cost prohibitive if they are imported in batches of twenty to a hundred, by aggregating.

But it still looks to my reading like it's simply illegal to import an AR15 for private sale. Period
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 11:21:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By PolarBear416:

But it still looks to my reading like it's simply illegal to import an AR15 for private sale. Period
View Quote

Correct, AR-15 parts can be imported for private sale but not receivers & barrels.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 12:57:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks, disappointing but that's what it t looks like.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 11:15:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks, disappointing but that's what it t looks like.
View Quote

BATFE and there sporting purpose clause.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 11:56:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Technically doesn't the barrel ban only ban military surplus barrels? That's why AK kits can't have a barrel, but you can still buy a complete Glock.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top