Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/13/2021 11:59:42 AM EDT
Still seeing news of it going on.

Can it?
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 12:01:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes. I don't think there is anything preventing proceedings from going forward after he leaves office.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 12:02:45 PM EDT
[#2]
The house may vote to impeach but there isn't time for the senate to remove him. Unless they don't think he plans on leaving next week
Eta: just wasting more money
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 12:02:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Not enough time to go from House to Senate and once he's out, cannot impeach a private citizen.  At least that's what I read on the internet, so it must be true.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 12:03:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Impeachment will happen, won't get the votes in the Senate though, even with mcconnel becoming a turncoat due to his feels.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 12:03:43 PM EDT
[#5]
House can impeach and it's likely.

One amusing possibility is the senate could find him guilty and set the punishment at removal from office. After he's out.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 12:04:32 PM EDT
[#6]
This is merely a move for history books.

“A president so horrible and corrupt, he was impeached twice!”
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 12:05:05 PM EDT
[#7]
theater to make the country still think there's two parties

Link Posted: 1/13/2021 12:05:22 PM EDT
[#8]
At this point it seems like anything is possible.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 12:06:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

One amusing possibility is the senate could find him guilty and set the punishment at removal from office. After he's out.
View Quote
I think that is a possible outcome. It's an interesting legal question as to whether the other things that go along with impeachment besides removal from office would also attach with a conviction.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 12:06:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The house may vote to impeach but there isn't time for the senate to remove him. Unless they don't think he plans on leaving next week
View Quote

The senate can impose two sanctions: removal from office, and disqualification from holding office in the future. Obviously there isn’t enough time for congress to accomplish the first, but holding a senate trial after Trump leaves office could still accomplish the second.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 12:06:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Anyone claiming that the dems can't go after him, or some how he's safe from impeachment because of rules, laws, or constitutional provisions please check yourself into the nearest mental health facility.  You obviously are no longer living in reality if you still believe rules, laws, and constitutional provisions apply to a government run exclusively by democrats and corrupt or pussy republicans.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 12:06:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 12:08:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Not sure they could get the votes in the senate anyway. It requires a two-thirds majority. Then again, there is no shortage of weak dick republicans in the senate, so who knows?

Trump should just fuck with them by waiting until 11:59 PM on the 19th, then issue his resignation.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 12:08:40 PM EDT
[#14]
They can impeach him after leaving office and bar him from running again. Thats the game.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 12:09:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Anyone claiming that the dems can't go after him, or some how he's safe from impeachment because of rules, laws, or constitutional provisions please check yourself into the nearest mental health facility.  You obviously are no longer living in reality if you still believe rules, laws, and constitutional provisions apply to a government run exclusively by democrats and corrupt or pussy republicans.
View Quote

Exhibit A:  States can't just CHANGE their election laws all willy-nilly.  That would go against their respective constitutions!
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 12:12:41 PM EDT
[#16]
The last time they impeached it allowed covid to go unchecked and become a serious problem. I would almost bet this is a distraction to allow some other crisis to go out of control.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 12:14:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Impeachment is 100% likely.   It only requires a simple majority in the House, which the Ds control.

Conviction is quite unlikely.  It requires 67 votes in the Senate of which only 50 are Ds.  They would need 17 Rs to vote to impeach.  That is unlikely even if they had more than 7 days.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 12:16:03 PM EDT
[#18]
T
Quoted:
Impeachment is 100% likely.   It only requires a simple majority in the House, which the Ds control.

Conviction is quite unlikely.  It requires 67 votes in the Senate of which only 50 are Ds.  They would need 17 Rs to vote to impeach.  That is unlikely even if they had more than 7 days.
View Quote

This.

He'll be impeached but not convicted, again.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 12:17:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Yes. I don't think there is anything preventing proceedings from going forward after he leaves office.
View Quote

Article 1 section 3 of the US constitution

"Judgment in Cases of Impeachment shall not extend further than to removal from Office, and disqualification to hold and enjoy any Office of honor, Trust or Profit under the United States: but the Party convicted shall nevertheless be liable and subject to Indictment, Trial, Judgment and Punishment, according to Law."

Edit; And not or.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 12:18:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The senate can impose two sanctions: removal from office, and disqualification from holding office in the future. Obviously there isn't enough time for congress to accomplish the first, but holding a senate trial after Trump leaves office could still accomplish the second.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The senate can impose two sanctions: removal from office, and disqualification from holding office in the future. Obviously there isn't enough time for congress to accomplish the first, but holding a senate trial after Trump leaves office could still accomplish the second.
Not to nitpick . But it does not say or it says and. In my somewhat feeble mind that would mean the second punishment can only follow the first. If a private citizen cannot be removed from office the whole punishment part would be moot.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 12:20:22 PM EDT
[#21]
They aren’t thinking this thru.......

Link Posted: 1/13/2021 12:20:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Exhibit A:  States can't just CHANGE their election laws all willy-nilly.  That would go against their respective constitutions!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Article II section 4 The President, Vice President and all civil Officers of the United States, shall be removed from office upon impeachment...

seems pretty clear to me, but it would not surprise me if they did it anyway  
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 12:22:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Not to nitpick . But it does not say or it says and. In my somewhat feeble mind that would mean the second punishment can only follow the first. If a private citizen cannot be removed from office the whole punishment part would be moot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would agree, BUT the people doing this only use the constitution as a door mat.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 12:22:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
theater to make the country still think there's two parties

View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 12:23:22 PM EDT
[#25]
If it’s just the house that impeached Trump why do they call him impeached if the senate doesn’t do it.

A bill doesn’t get passed just because the house votes for it. They need the senate also
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 12:24:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Supposedly the earliest they can do it is the day before Biden is sworn in.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 12:24:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Not enough time to go from House to Senate and once he's out, cannot impeach a private citizen.  At least that's what I read on the internet, so it must be true.
View Quote

Article II refers to removal of the "President"....After Jan. 20th, he will not fit that category, therefore, he can't be "impeached" fully to trial because he's no longer President.

The US House could probably impeach him in the sense that the articles were sent to the US Senate, but they do not have near enough time to act on them.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 12:25:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
If it’s just the house that impeached Trump why do they call him impeached if the senate doesn’t do it.

A bill doesn’t get passed just because the house votes for it. They need the senate also
View Quote

The House impeaches the Senate convicts or not.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 12:26:09 PM EDT
[#29]
National healing through a bipartisan impeachment.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 12:26:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
They can impeach him after leaving office and bar him from running again. Thats the game.
View Quote

No, they can't....He's no longer "President", which is what is required in Article II of the USC.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 12:31:29 PM EDT
[#31]
It;s a Check move.  The strategic value is if Trump goes nuts on his last 2 days, the hurdle of the house passing Impeachemnet is already done, and all that's left is the Senate to finish it.  It's not expected to actually go through.  And any smart person on ANY political level shouldn't want it to - because the only way it actually will finish to full impeachment, is if Trump actually really does go nuts.  Which he won;'t happen and wasn't going to, but it's a shot reminding him that he needs to be careful in his last 2 weeks.

So it's technically possible, but only if he really does go ape-shit nuts.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 12:31:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

How do you impeach a private citizen?  This is all for show, nothing more nothing less.  If they wanted to bar him from holding office again they should of done that like 6 months ago.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 12:32:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Correct, but what is the Constitution to them?....
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 12:33:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 12:35:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The last time they impeached it allowed covid to go unchecked and become a serious problem. I would almost bet this is a distraction to allow some other crisis to go out of control.
View Quote
You mean like multiple false flag armed insurrections at state capitals? Something like that?
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 12:36:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Dog and Pony show resetting the board for the next 4 years.  Keep the public distracted while both sides cash in and more communists are appointed to positions of power.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 12:37:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
This is merely a move for history books.

"A president so horrible and corrupt, he was impeached twice!"
View Quote

or as I prefer to look at it.  "Impeachment has become a political weapon w/ no relation to any crimes committed."
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 12:38:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

"Judgment in Cases of Impeachment shall not extend further than to removal from Office, and disqualification to hold and enjoy any Office of honor, Trust or Profit under the United States: but the Party convicted shall nevertheless be liable and subject to Indictment, Trial, Judgment and Punishment, according to Law."

Edit; And not or.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Edit; And not or.
Yeah, it's an interesting legal question. I don't know that it has been settled, but I certainly see the argument you are making.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 12:39:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Any congresscritters who oppose the impeachment or conviction have already been threatened with being blacklisted from everything. I bet they won't even be able to get a coffee at Starbucks at this rate.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 12:41:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Yeah, it's an interesting legal question. I don't know that it has been settled, but I certainly see the argument you are making.
View Quote

Yeah, but if he is no long President which is required and he cannot be convicted, because of time and lack of votes in the Senate, then he was not successfully impeached.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 12:41:59 PM EDT
[#41]
They can’t legally impeach if he’s not holding office I believe......but who knows.  

If that isn’t true can the house and senate impeach before someone ever holds office before they ever had?  Can they precrime potential political opponents before they even run for office?
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 12:44:56 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Edit; And not or.

I see nothing ambiguous in the constitution in this case, it does not say can, may or possible.   But like I said above the government is using the constitution as a door mat.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 12:45:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

If they do this, Trump can not run again and that is the purpose of this whole clown show.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 12:48:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Yeah, but if he is no long President which is required and he cannot be convicted, because of time and lack of votes in the Senate, then he was not successfully impeached.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Impeach means to bring the charges against them not to convict them.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 12:48:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

Lol. Imagine thinking they won't get at least 25 of the republican senators to vote to convict. Just imagine. Lol.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 12:50:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Impeachment will happen, won't get the votes in the Senate though, even with mcconnel becoming a turncoat due to his feels.
View Quote
You have too much faith in Republicans.

I'm 100% they are going to continue throwing Trump and Trump supporters under the bus. They don't realize that the future of the GOP Rests with Trump supporters. If they alienate Trump's supporters, they might as well go and disband the GOP, and join the DNC.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 12:50:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 12:51:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
I think enough people in the GOP are willing to cuck out, thinking this is their best way forward.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 12:53:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
It;s a Check move.  The strategic value is if Trump goes nuts on his last 2 days, the hurdle of the house passing Impeachemnet is already done, and all that's left is the Senate to finish it.  It's not expected to actually go through.  And any smart person on ANY political level shouldn't want it to - because the only way it actually will finish to full impeachment, is if Trump actually really does go nuts.  Which he won;'t happen and wasn't going to, but it's a shot reminding him that he needs to be careful in his last 2 weeks.

So it's technically possible, but only if he really does go ape-shit nuts.
View Quote

So Pre-Crime prosecution at all levels is now in full effect...
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 12:54:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
They can’t legally impeach if he’s not holding office I believe......but who knows.  

If that isn’t true can the house and senate impeach before someone ever holds office before they ever had?  Can they precrime potential political opponents before they even run for office?
View Quote

Yep the word means to bring charges against a setting official for the reason of removal from office if it is believed they have committed a crime. If one is a private citizen you would indite them for a crime not impeach them.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top