Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2019 11:05:22 PM EDT
Discussion with the gf sponsoring immigrants. She sponsored her mom and said that she would have been on the hook for her financially for 10 years. How would that have worked if her mom racked up huge medical bills during that period? The agreement was with the feds not the hospital???

Is more just a symbolic agreement with the feds?
Link Posted: 5/3/2019 11:46:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Used to be real, symbolic now, as I understand it.
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 10:12:56 AM EDT
[#2]
The sponsor files I-864 (affidavit of support). The intent is that the immigrant will not become a "public charge" to the US government. No idea what would happen with medical bills though.

Not a lawyer, but my wife sponsored me for a green card so she had to file an I-864.

https://www.uscis.gov/i-864
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 11:08:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes. She filed the forms but we were discussing how she could be held responsible when the only 'agreement' was filed with the feds.

And this is just academic. There are no medical bills.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top