BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 10:31:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had been told that 81 was the last year of the Gen X'ers.

View Quote

I’ve seen half a dozen variations of what is or isn’t so depends on who you reference Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 10:40:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 10:46:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Born in 80

I prefer to be identified as a member of the "Bad Motherfucker" generation

Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:00:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have literally never heard anyone call someone born in 1980 a millennial. Those were the last of the genXers.

Sounds like more millennial cancer to try and shore up their ranks of faggotry.
View Quote

The choice of 1980 as the cutoff is stupid. Someone chose it arbitrarily because the year ends in zero.

A much more meaningful choice in categorizing generations is how they had to conduct mating rituals (since that, afterall, is what produces later generations).

Some people say 1980-1996 for millennials, but that's stupid. The idea that people born in 1980-1986 have anything to do with people born 1990-1996 when it comes to mating rituals is ignorant of history.

People born in 1980 likely had to _talk in person_ to a girl to ask her to high school prom, or, even worse, actually call her house's landline, talk to her father when he picks up, ask to talk to his daughter, then ask her out. They did not have their own cell phones until college at the earliest. They did not have "high speed internet" until high school, if early adopters, but more likely college.

People born in 1990 were texting before puberty. They never had to talk to the father of the girl they were trying to f***.

I don't care if people born in the 1980s are categorized as Gen X or not (because there were undoubtedly differences as well), but to group them with people born in 1990s is beyond stupid. It ignores the development of this thing called the internet and this other thing called a cell phone.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:02:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I was born in 81, in the south, so I identify more with genX but I see how this distinction is pertinent.

I work in metal fabricating and I feel exactly  like a bridge between the old guys that were in my dad's sphere but are still alive and kicking and the newer guys that don't know what life was before cell phones.

Where I grew up we didn't have computers at home, only word processors if school needed typed reports. No internet at home until after I graduated. No cell phones until then too unless you're grandma had a bag phone. I didn't even trust something in our house to be connected to the internet.  I remember thinking that was totally stupid and privacy was fucked. LOL

Latch key kid who rode bicycle at least 20 miles a day. Left home alone all summer with my bb gun while in elementary school. I distinctly remember my elementary school getting a bunch of computers when I was in 5th grade. They opened a computer lab and sent the kindergarteners in there. We weren't allowed to touch the new highly prized computers.

I do feel like I was born on the knifes edge of two different experiences/ lifestyles/generations.
View Quote

Right there with you brother.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:06:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Monica.

I mean there are some hot millenial chicks, but yeah.
View Quote

Not any more, most are all cellulite
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:07:27 PM EDT
[#7]

Yep.  Nobody seems to agree on the dates so it's basically meaningless for anyone who was born in one of the contentious years discussed.  As if being part of a "generation" really meant anything at all.

Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:09:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Where is “30yr old boomer”?
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:10:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:11:44 PM EDT
[#10]
View Quote

LOL that's great. Early 80s here. Was giving presentations on overhead projectors in college. Didn't use powerpoint or similar until after finishing college. Literally nothing in common with people born 10 years later.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:15:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Are you saying that Limp Bizkit is "grunge" ?

According to true grunge die-hards, grunge died in '94 with Cobain's suicide (or maybe it was killed by the birth of Limp Bizkit, the rap rock band founded in the same year).  The musical overlap of grunge being sandwiched between 80s hair metal/glam rock and the mid-90s alternative rock explosion is somewhat fascinating to me.

Fwiw the overwhelming majority of what I listened to growing up was pre-1980 but in school we had LaserDisc players so I guess I'm an oddity
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I fall in that category.

I never associated with GenX culture, especially grunge rock.  That shit is terrible.  I also don't particularly enjoy typical millennials either.  I guess I'm just a man without a generation.  Meh.  Don't really care.

I think we can all agree though that GenZ is worthless.

lol Grunge is Millenial culture.  While many of the artists who created it were Gen X'ers, their audience was just hitting the preteen and teen years when that garbage hit big.  Gen X was a lot more the Guns N' Roses, Metallica, "We're Not Gonna Take It" generation, not the Limp Bizkit lovers of the world.  Gen X was the crossover point between analog technology and the entitled digital generation.

According to true grunge die-hards, grunge died in '94 with Cobain's suicide (or maybe it was killed by the birth of Limp Bizkit, the rap rock band founded in the same year).  The musical overlap of grunge being sandwiched between 80s hair metal/glam rock and the mid-90s alternative rock explosion is somewhat fascinating to me.

Fwiw the overwhelming majority of what I listened to growing up was pre-1980 but in school we had LaserDisc players so I guess I'm an oddity

I listened to classic rock in middle and high school. Then alt rock college. Now those tunes are on the classic rock station.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:16:26 PM EDT
[#12]
I was listening to Chris Cornell when Sound Garden was metal so go fuck a hornet nest with your bullshit that I'm a millennial.  That used to be someone born in the fucking 90s.  I'm Gen X, born in '81.

They must have changed it when they changed the SAT scoring so that those of us that did really, really well get lumped in with the riff raff long-term.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:24:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Anyone younger than me is a pussy.

Anyone older than me is a fudd.
View Quote

This is a good position to be in. Feels good man.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:27:22 AM EDT
[#14]
This millennial, Gen Xyz shit is so faggy
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:27:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I am so sick of the generational "war."

You are either a shitbag or you are not.  Birth date has zero to do with it.
View Quote

Yeah but we need to blame something on other people. It’s like if you work first shift you blame any problems on the second shift.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 2:57:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Yeah but we need to blame something on other people. It’s like if you work first shift you blame any problems on the second shift.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am so sick of the generational "war."

You are either a shitbag or you are not.  Birth date has zero to do with it.

No, no, no. That's not how it works.

I work second shift and I blame all my ills on first shift.  They are old lazy queers with "seniority" and leave all their shit half assed and unfinished for all of us young guys to clean up.

That is how it works in generation war too. Old people blame young people for fucking things up, young people blame old people for leaving a mess, but really it is just the shit bag human race doing shit bag human things.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 2:59:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
1982 here, and really hate that I qualify as a millennial.
View Quote

1985 here. I'm a geriatric millennial lol.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 3:27:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Nobody cares about GenX
View Quote

That's OK.  We don't care about anyone because you're all a bunch of crybabies.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 4:17:18 AM EDT
[#19]
We already had a name its the oregon trail
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 7:58:21 AM EDT
[#20]
The digital divide is real. That’s what messes up the standard generational formula and confuses the issue. Those born up until say 1985 or so still remember the old analog world, abet as children.

I was born in 1979 this was our information technology

Physical books
Encyclopedias in book form
Land rotary phones (long distance calls)
Microfiche
Rolodex
Card Catalog
Typewriters
Yellow Pages
8 tracks, records and cassette tapes
Overhead projectors and slide projectors
Beta Max and VHS (even laser disc and CDs are old now)
Analog CRT televisions and monitors
Carbon paper credit card machines
Dot Matrix Printers
Fax Machines
Physical snail mail was the only mail

Link Posted: 5/16/2021 8:09:13 AM EDT
[#21]
'82 here, and highly disagree with the millennial tag. I was a pool manager in college, so I was a 20-21 year old in charge of 16-17 year olds, and there was a huge difference even then. I put some of that up to just age, but I think we were seeing the gap then as well. I think a lot of it is on your age at 9/11 as well. Those of us who were older, think late high school into college, were already formed as adults when the planes hit. Younger than probably 16 were still being formed, and their parents got scared and over protective.

Back to the pool example, my age of lifeguards all walked, rode bikes, or had our own (shitty) cars. When I was managing, we were already seeing the guards being dropped off by parents. I think overprotective parents post 9/11 combined with digital revolution really made the millennials what they are, and that doesn't really hit until 85-86 birth years.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 8:10:27 AM EDT
[#22]
'81 and embrace the millennial label. IDGAF. Cringey Gen X "millennials suck derp" are usually just trying to stay relevant, or are too dumb to understand they're being manipulated to be a part of a generational war.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 8:46:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 9:18:00 AM EDT
[#24]
This bullshit labeling of everything is a tool of the left anyhow. They love dividing everyone into victim groups.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 10:18:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Yep.  Nobody seems to agree on the dates so it's basically meaningless for anyone who was born in one of the contentious years discussed.  As if being part of a "generation" really meant anything at all.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/408071351111516170/843322738998771742/112812_masnick_annual_births_chart_sm.png
View Quote

The main thing that distinguishes Gen X from Boomer or Millennials is the lower birth rate which dropped in the mid 60s then plummeted in the 70s and only returned to boomer levels in 1989 until 1993 Gen Z also is a wide year but low birth rate generation with only years 2006 and 2007 reaching 4 million births after subtracting illlegal aliens births. The last decade has dropped even lower than Gen Z. The only reason births reach 3,500,000-3,700,000 now is immigrants kids {legal immigrants}
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 10:29:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
This bullshit labeling of everything is a tool of the left anyhow. They love dividing everyone into victim groups.
View Quote

You're only a victim if you're not Gen X and you get upset when someone calls you a boomer or millennial.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 10:41:18 AM EDT
[#27]
Sounds right. My body is starting to feel geriatric.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 11:58:18 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

You're only a victim if you're not Gen X and you get upset when someone calls you a boomer or millennial.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok Boomer
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:09:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Ok Boomer
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok Boomer

Gen X here so...ZFG.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:09:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Gen X here so...ZFG.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok Boomer

Gen X here so...ZFG.

Boomer is a state of mind....
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:22:28 PM EDT
[#31]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
All millennials suck.

Go Fuck Yourself...

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/crycryGirl-329.gif

Can't tell if she's pretending to cry or rubbing two the heads of two imaginary cocks.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:23:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
born in 1980 would make you 41 today.  thats hardly geriatric.
View Quote
For the generation of fat kids who never left the basement, 40 is the new 60.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:26:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Wrong.

Wrong,

Wrong.

Geriatric Gen X master race.
View Quote

Fixed for you.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:26:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
born in 1980 would make you 41 today.  thats hardly geriatric.

Wait, you mean the same generation that's been fighting a 2 front war for almost 20 years?
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:35:36 PM EDT
[#35]
I vote for Neoboomer.    Just to see how they like that.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:38:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Fuck that. I was born in February of 1980. I identify as Gen X.
View Quote

Technically, you're a Xennial. Google it; it's a micro-gen between Gen X and Millennial.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:46:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Technically, you're a Xennial. Google it; it's a micro-gen between Gen X and Millennial.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fuck that. I was born in February of 1980. I identify as Gen X.

I reached adulthood without a cell phone, didn't have a household computer until I was a teen, didn't get internet until I was a late teen, and dial up at that. I grew up outside, riding bikes, fishing, breaking and fixing shit as I went. There is definitely a huge disconnect between early and late millennial years.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:50:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Sounds right. My body is starting to feel geriatric.
View Quote

I used to read black belt magazine as a kid and I remember reading how the older guys like Benny the Jet recommended stretching for older guys doing kicks because of age and I thought. No way I’ll ever be that old
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:53:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Boomer is a state of mind....
View Quote

Poster child for that idea would be
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 2:01:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Hush woman, men are talking
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nobody cares about GenX

Hush woman, men are talking

seethe harder GenXer
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 2:03:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 2:05:43 PM EDT
[#42]
1983 here.  I have NOTHING in common with someone born after 1990.  

I grew up on a farm in a very rural tiny town in Vermont.  I carried a knife in school and didn’t own a cell phone until i was in my 20’s.  The internet played no role in my life until high school and even then it was limited.  I studied in the library with real books most of the time.  I had a computer in 1999 so i did get to experience kind of the early mainstream internet before it became what it is today but plenty of very vivid memories of life before that and before cell phones and other technologies.  

I definitely feel out of place and simply do not fit into the millennial generation outside of graduating high school after the year 2000.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 2:06:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Targetting an entire generation of apathetic, despondent, trust-fund babies. Radio X...
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 2:09:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Late 70's Gen X. I was in before the lock.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 2:13:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 2:15:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
1982 here, and really hate that I qualify as a millennial.
View Quote

Come up with a snappy new name like... Postterm Gen-X'er
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 4:50:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm saying that Gen X was about fun and self empowerment, while millenials were about spoiled entitlement under a mask of pretentiousness and empty angst.  The same type of people that canonized Dirt Nobrain and his heroin addiction are the same ones who would "break stuff" with Fred Durst.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top