Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 1/26/2021 3:55:57 AM EDT
Inspired by a discussion I had with a guy earlier today.

You get pulled over, your hands are on the wheel, and your window is down. The officer asks for your license and registration. Do you inform him that you are carrying a pistol or have a rifle in the car and/or hand over your CPL with your dirvers license and proof of insurance?

Why or why not?

Personally, I will not. My state does not require me to declare my status to an officer, so I'm gonna keep my yap shut. I have zero intentions of shooting a cop, or even arguing about why he pulled me over while we're still on the side of the highway. I have no idea who this officer is, if he's new or what, so I see no sense at all in making a green cop jumpy for no good reason when he probably just wants to write me a ticket for speeding and go about his day.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:04:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Never been pulled over.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:06:11 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't volunteer any information that is not asked for.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:09:04 AM EDT
[#3]
If I get pulled over, it's required.

I figure the best way to tell the officer would be to start out with "listen, motherfucker..."
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:10:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If I get pulled over, it's required.

I figure the best way to tell the officer would be to start out with "listen, motherfucker..."
View Quote

"Sweet Glock bro! Check mine out!" might work better
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:11:44 AM EDT
[#5]
No I do not.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:16:28 AM EDT
[#6]
I give him all pertinent information, including my shoe size, sexual preferences and preferred pronouns.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:18:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If I get pulled over, it's required. This

*shrug* And this.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 5:01:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Ohio requires it. I hand the CHL and my license to them. This works well.  Half don’t ask anything else. The other half as where.

“It is on my right hip at 3 o’clock.” The G word never leaves my lips.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 5:08:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Texas State had (I assume still does) my CHL linked to my DL; you had to hand both the LEO if pulled over, even if you weren't carrying.  I say that last piece, because I got my ass chewed by a cop for not carrying...I had to inform him I was running into work (military base).  

Moved back to GA and got pulled over, handed the LEO both license of GA CHL, he just laughed and said they don't care about that in GA.

If not asked, I won't tell.  Bigger challenge is to have your wallet out and both hands on the wheel at all times; talk slow and clear, be calm and respectful.  I know it's easy to bash some of the stupid shit cops do, but I've seen some that are very wary and on edge depending on their routine beat.  

ROCK6
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 5:08:26 AM EDT
[#10]
No duty to inform here but the one and only time I've been pulled over he asked about it. So I'm guessing it shows in their system whether or not someone has a license to carry when they run the plates.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 5:15:55 AM EDT
[#11]
I don't bring it up but one time I got pulled over for a missing mud flap in my wrangler and had a loaded handgun on the passenger seat. Cop ended up coming up to the passenger side, saw it, asked if it was loaded. I said yes. He asked if I minded if he put it on the roof while we talked. Lol. Did his business, put it back on the seat and we both continued on our way.

Another time or was late and i was driving home from shooting in the desert with a friend from Canada. We got pulled over and he started freaking out that we were going to jail because of all the guns in the trunk and asked me if they were licenced. I was like, dude this is America, relax.

Cop was looking for drunk drivers, asked where we were coming from. Told him "shooting". He thought it was cool and asked if we had the guns in the trunk. Yep. Well ok, drive safe.

My friend was

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 5:16:27 AM EDT
[#12]
My state requires notification at first opportunity. Usually, they don't care, but sometimes they do. There has been three times in the past I was pulled out of my car, disarmed, and then put in the patrol car, one was OHP, one was OKCSO and one was a bull dyke Mayes county deputy.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 5:31:09 AM EDT
[#13]
My state requires informing if you have a permit. If you don't have a permit then there's no duty to inform. When I was too young to obtain the permit I did not inform unless asked.

I've been on both sides of this. When I'm the officer conducting the stop, I'll see on my computer (or hear from dispatch) if the DL associated with the license plate has a valid (or expired/revoked) permit issued by our state. Same for running individual DLs. It's kinda like a "good guy" flag. I'll go up there and wait for them to inform during the conversation. If they don't I'll ask, but I wouldn't consider messing someone up if they just forget. (Maybe they're not carrying at the moment?) Then we usually talk about guns for at least 15 seconds.

People I've got no permit data on (which is most people)... If I'm considering removing them from the vehicle or think I might be onto PC for a search (or about to request a consent search) I'll definitely ask, but for traffic stuff I usually don't bother.

They instructed us to always ask in the academy but if they're alone and staying seated it's not super challenging if they suddenly produce a weapon, assuming the officer is doing their job correctly. (We ran many scenarios on this specifically).

(We like to see both hands as we approach the driver, of course.)
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 5:36:10 AM EDT
[#14]
I haven't been pulled over since my college days (I had forgotten to put the registration year on my license plate - luckily, it was in the glove compartment). I didn't have any weapon in those days.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 5:55:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Not required, so no.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 5:57:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Yes, my state requires me to
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 5:59:26 AM EDT
[#17]
I do because it's required here.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 6:02:51 AM EDT
[#18]
I've told my story before about why I don't, so I won't rehash it again. Fuck that cop, in particular. When I heard he got fired, I wasn't upset.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 6:29:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
No duty to inform here but the one and only time I've been pulled over he asked about it. So I'm guessing it shows in their system whether or not someone has a license to carry when they run the plates.
View Quote

Same here, only been pulled over twice since I got my license to carry. Both by state patrols and they both asked, nothing past that from the though.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 6:34:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Not unless they ask. The last time I was stopped was on my way to the range and the front seat was loaded with rifle and pistol cases so it really didn't matter.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 6:36:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Required here and in Ohio, both of which I put some miles on my vehicles.

Ohio state troopers get an erection seeing Michigan plates. Got popped doing 68 in a 65, in the slow lane getting passed. Had guns on the front seat and the guy came up to my passenger side door of my truck with manual locks and windows. That made for an awkward moment.

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 6:39:06 AM EDT
[#22]
No. Not required. I was pulled over a few weeks ago and the officer asked, so yes, I told him I was carrying a Colt revolver. No ticket.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 6:49:17 AM EDT
[#23]
I had moved from a state that requires it to one that doesn't.  I couldn't remember if I had to or not so I did anyway.  The cop was really cool about it, even said "oh you don't have to do that.  I wish more people carried."  We chatted a bit and he let me off with a warning.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 7:00:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Yes, and not required in Idaho.

I have an enhanced permit which FLASHES ON HIS SCREEN when he runs my plate so he already knows.

I hand over a baggie with my license/cwp/insurance/reg.  By including the cwp it avoids awkward conversations like "I have a gun".

But most cops just assume it here in Idaho since a Cons. carry state.

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 7:01:12 AM EDT
[#25]
I know here in my state, the cop knows before he even approaches you if you have a CCW. It's tagged with your license plate. I got pulled over several years ago, did my "I am in possession of a fire arm" spiel, the officer thanked me, we shot the shit about what I was carrying, (make/model ) then he gave me a warning and I was on my way.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 7:02:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Only of asked which I am required to at that point.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 7:03:14 AM EDT
[#27]
To answer your question, I don’t personally tell the officer, I let my passenger tell them that I’ve got a gun.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 7:03:14 AM EDT
[#28]
No, I don’t volunteer that information as it’s not required for me to do so. However, I was asked once during a traffic stop and so I answered truthfully and added that I’m a CCW holder. The officer was cool and responded “no problem” He asked what kind of pistol I was carrying, we talked guns for a couple minutes, and he sent me on my way with a warning.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 7:25:20 AM EDT
[#29]
Its required here in Wisconsin.

I work in Security and any firearm violation can cost me my job.

I've been pulled over three times while armed.  Each time I've placed my hands out my window and informed the officer of the weapon present.

Every time its happened the officers have thanked me and treated me respectfully.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 7:34:21 AM EDT
[#30]
Yep, and I've found this gets you a better chance at getting a warning rather than a ticket.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 7:35:50 AM EDT
[#31]
I haven't been pulled over, but Michigan is a shall inform state
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 7:39:01 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Never been pulled over.
View Quote

It doesn't say "when you were..."

It says "if you are."
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 7:43:03 AM EDT
[#33]
Not unless they ask.

(I have never been pulled over while carrying)
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 7:43:50 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

It doesn't say "when you were..."

It says "if you are."
View Quote

lol
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 7:44:08 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 7:45:07 AM EDT
[#36]
Only if they ask.  If they ask me to step out of the vehicle I will inform.  At that point I'm going to be searched anyway.

The last time I was pulled over that was the first thing the officer asked.

Not, "Drivers license, registration, proof of insurance."  She asked, "Are there are any firearms in the vehicle?"

I thought that was odd.  I told her about the one in my pocket, but not about the ones in the gun vault.  She'd need a warrant for that one.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 7:52:23 AM EDT
[#37]
I hand my pistol permit with my info.  

If you've ever overheard the cop's radio in CT, they usually inform the officer already.  
Everytime the cop has glanced at it, said thank you, and gave it right back.  

I see no reasons for me to change.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 7:54:09 AM EDT
[#38]
Ive never been pulled over while carrying concealed.

I think I may have been pulled over 2-3 times in 30+ years....it just doesn't happen often enough for me to have a planned process. If it happens, I deal with whatever the situation demands.

As far as I recall, there is no duty to inform in PA...and if there was no good reason to make a point about it, I probably wouldn't bring it up.

I guess I've been pretty lucky as far as the cops go...any time I've been be pulled over I have never gotten in as much trouble as I should have.  Always either a warning, or a significantly reduced ticket from what i was actually pulled over for.

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 7:54:51 AM EDT
[#39]
No
But I don't get pulled over much either.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 7:55:07 AM EDT
[#40]
I can't answer because I hand him my permission card with my license, I don't tell him.

I want him to find out I have a permit before he finds out I have a gun.

With that said, I'm in AZ now and am not sure what the rules are, I am under the impression I don't have to....

I've been pulled over 4 times in TX, one asked for it and one piece of shit took it(jerked it out of my iwb without warning), hopefully he's burning in hell.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 7:56:48 AM EDT
[#41]
It's required here. I've been pulled over a couple of times, once for speeding and once for running stop sign. I forgot to tell the officer I had a gun one of the times and he knew it. He didn't care. Both times they didn't give me a ticket. The cop in the small town near where I live let me off for speeding and told me the general policy of their police department is to let people off with a warning if they have a CCL.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 7:57:37 AM EDT
[#42]
Not required so, no.

If he asked if I was carrying I'd be honest about it because at that point you have to be. CCW license requires to show if asked.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 7:57:42 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Not unless they ask.

(I have never been pulled over while carrying)
View Quote

Same here.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 7:57:56 AM EDT
[#44]
If your legally carrying and have a permit they already know before they approach your vehicle.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 7:58:13 AM EDT
[#45]
Yes. Ohio Law.

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 7:58:35 AM EDT
[#46]
I don't "personally" tell him. My trunk monkey lets him know.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 8:04:22 AM EDT
[#47]
No, but it’s hard to hide the carbine between the console and passenger seat.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 8:04:27 AM EDT
[#48]
No. But I informally do because I have my license and my concealed carry permit ready for them at the window.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 8:07:52 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I don't volunteer any information that is not asked for.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 8:10:03 AM EDT
[#50]
If LE asks for "ID" then we must inform....
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top