Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 73
Link Posted: 9/19/2019 11:51:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ripple64:
There is not a lot of structure to this more a verbal vomit.

First off I want to thank everyone involved with this thread. You have helped me over the last few days even though I never reached out here. Just reading the words of encouragement to others really gave me strength to keep going.

My wife of 4 years informed me on Friday that she wanted a divorce. This is after she scheduled us couples counseling and backed out. I am devastated. To me this came out of nowhere. I guess she has been hurting the last couple of years because I’m not really the partner that I should have been. I never raised my voice to her, never raised my hand to her. Really it’s because we never do much of anything together. We work different schedules, I’m on days and she’s on evenings. But that’s really not an excuse. Whatever free time we had together i pissed away drinking or taking care of myself and not taking care of our needs.

Friday night I slept on the couch and then went to work Saturday morning on my day off to try and take my mind off it. I couldn’t concentrate and decided that me being at work was unsafe for me and those around me. I came back home, my wife was awake so I tried to talk to her again. Asking her if this is really what she wants. Is this really how she wants to end this. We have a 10 month old daughter and 3 dogs and a house.

She’s heard it all from me before. I can change. I can do better. But I never really do. I grew too complacent and too comfortable with me and I stopped developing, stopped challenging myself.

After pleading with her to reconsider she dropped the bombshell on me. That she had met someone else and had feelings for them. Not that anything has happened. Yeah right. Like I should take some comfort from that. Doesn’t matter whether or not it’s physical. You’re reaching out to someone else when you should be reaching out to me. It broke my heart. I packed a bag and left. She wants to keep this as amicable as possible. She wants nothing from me. 50-50 split on the child and she would like to refinance and keep the house.

I’m staying at my parents house while I’m in the process of moving out of mine. She wants the house because it’s set up perfectly for the dogs and the kid. And realistically she can have it.

Saturday night I got drunk. Just the typical bravado of a guy who just got dumped. Yeah fuck that bitch I’m better off without her. Sunday I went out and picked up more beer. I was going to have a two day pity party and then get my life back on track. But I ended up not drinking. I started thinking what if she calls and wants me to come home?  What if something happened to my kid and I can’t race to be with her?  I got to thinking that this shit has ruined my life, and I don’t need it anymore. I dumped it all down the drain. Haven’t had a drop or really thought about it in the last four days.

Sunday night I was trying to figure out how I was going to kill myself. My sober ass was lying in bed.  In the dark  and the walls were closing in. I couldn’t breathe. I didn’t know what to do. Didn’t know how to cope. Didn’t know who to talk to. I remembered this thread. So I came here and started reading other people’s stories.

Eventually I read a post by @HALFNATTYGAINZ about a book he read, Can’t Hurt Me. So I said fuck it at this point what do I have to lose. Downloaded it and started reading.  Holy shit, talk about reading exactly what I needed to hear at that moment, and in a way I could understand. Simple as that. How fucking unreal is that.

I read the book in a day and am in the process of reading it again. Taking my time and doing the challenges in it.  That’s where I came to the realization that I just stopped pushing myself. I stopped putting myself out there. And that’s why my marriage fell apart. Honestly everyone, I’m trying to put my marriage back together.  I think we can work through this.  I have support from my family as well as members of her’s. Even though my wife backed out of counseling. I still went for myself. And I scheduled another appointment that I’m going to invite her to. I’m not ready to give up on us and I am ready to change and challenge who I am and how I deal with myself on a daily basis.

As I type this out my 10 month old is lying sleeping next to me. If I had given up on Sunday I wouldn’t be here with her now. If things don’t work out with her mom and me that’s ok. I think I’ve finally come to grips with that. But I’m going to be stronger and better for my daughter. There is still a lot of work to do. A lot of hurt to heal.

To everyone else out there, you’re not alone. And shit probably won’t be better today, or tomorrow, but I’m holding out hope that someday it will. Thanks guys.
View Quote
I'm really glad I could help you out man. To be honest I really hated posted my shit but I knew I needed to vent at the moment. I often thought about going back and deleting all of it. Most of it is pretty cringe. But seeing as it helped out another it really made it worthwhile. Keep that head up man. You'll make it through one way or another. I've had to learn some pretty difficult lessons during this journey and they're just starting to reveal themselves even months after my break up. But I'll post them once their slightly more thought out.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 6:53:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: edb66] [#2]
Mixed news today. Good news is I'm  going to be evaluated for a transplant at UMMC. Bad news is I'm getting admitted Monday to have the second toe on my left foot amputated(already got half the big toe on that foot amputated.)

Instead of Häftoe, I shall henceforth be known as Ocho y media.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 7:00:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By edb66:
Mixed news today. Good news is I'm  going to be evaluated for a transplant at UMMC. Bad news is I'm getting admitted Monday to have the second toe on my left foot amputated(already got half the big toe on that foot amputated.)

Instead of Häftoe, I shall henceforth be known as Ocho y media.
View Quote
Your spirit, attitude, and humor in which you choose to deal with this is awesome to see.

You can live without those toes, not so much with regards to internal organs.

I'll keep you my prayers, and keep up the fight.  You'll beat this thing in time!
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 12:50:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By CarmelBytheSea:
Gettin old watching friends and family die
View Quote
All that remains are memories.  After my mother passed away,  I made a promise to spend more time with my father and other members of my family.  There were times when I asked my mother about her life growing up, and she said there was not much to say.  Speaking with her sisters, they shared several stories.  Sometimes you think you know someone, then you learn that's only one side of the story.  In discussing the past, I hear more stories I never heard before.  Not all of them are happy, and some have been unpleasant to recall, but add to the history and understanding.

I guess it all boils down to how this affects you.  Do you fear your own mortality?  Do you regret how you have treated others?  Do you miss the times spent with others?
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 8:59:16 PM EDT
[#5]
"Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, but have not love, it profits me nothing.

Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

Love never fails. But whether there are prophecies, they will fail; whether there are tongues, they will cease; whether there is knowledge, it will vanish away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part. But when that which is perfect has come, then that which is in part will be done away.

When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things. For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as I also am known.

And now abide faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love. "
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 3:28:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Sorry if I ramble and don’t make much sense. But today and the last couple of days have been pretty rough for me. I have come down  with some sort of flu/bug. I missed my seven year olds birthday. His mother and I are not getting alone(some of my fault and some of hers). I have zero motivation. Because I was sick for the last two weeks I have missed work. I am completely depressed and have been in bed in bed the last couple of days. I don’t give a shit about anything.

I absolutely hate my job and I am looking for a new one but I can’t take anything less than $20/hr to cover expenses. I am completely lost and don’t know what to do. I am just sick of it all. I haven’t seen my oldest boy in a month which absolutely kills me. No his mom does not keep him from me but with being sick and tied up with work, it’s been a battle. I refuse to go on anti depressants but I do take the occasional Xanax to take the edge off. I have been in tears all day. No motivation to get out of bed.

Sorry for the rant but I just needed to get it out there. I have a wonderful girlfriend and a wonderful 14 month old son but something has to change.

I’ve thought about quoting my job but have nothing lined up. But I am truly miserable at work and don’t know how much longer I can take it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 3:31:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By davidb1982:
Sorry if I ramble and don’t make much sense. But today and the last couple of days have been pretty rough for me. I have come down  with some sort of flu/bug. I missed my seven year olds birthday. His mother and I are not getting alone(some of my fault and some of hers). I have zero motivation. Because I was sick for the last two weeks I have missed work. I am completely depressed and have been in bed in bed the last couple of days. I don’t give a shit about anything.

I absolutely hate my job and I am looking for a new one but I can’t take anything less than $20/hr to cover expenses. I am completely lost and don’t know what to do. I am just sick of it all. I haven’t seen my oldest boy in a month which absolutely kills me. No his mom does not keep him from me but with being sick and tied up with work, it’s been a battle. I refuse to go on anti depressants but I do take the occasional Xanax to take the edge off. I have been in tears all day. No motivation to get out of bed.

Sorry for the rant but I just needed to get it out there. I have a wonderful girlfriend and a wonderful 14 month old son but something has to change.

I’ve thought about quoting my job but have nothing lined up. But I am truly miserable at work and don’t know how much longer I can take it.
View Quote
Sounds like work is at least partially responsible for your sickness. In what ways can you reduce expenses?
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 3:46:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GreasyEasy] [#8]

View Quote
Based on your very last sentence, it sounds to me like clinical depression, rather than just feeling the blues due to a negative situation in life.

Xanax, or any other benzo will sadly only delay the inevitable, or even make things worse.   They are appropriate for panic attacks, or bouts of extreme anxiety, but are a net negative for use on depression.

Sometimes a professional is the only route to getting better.   A job change could ultimately leave you feeling the same way unless you address the underlying depression.

Depression leads to a compounding effect in regards to negative aspects of your life.  You're depressed so you stay in bed all day, thus you don't see your kids, or go to work....this makes you more depressed, thus you stay in bed longer the next time, and so forth.  You must break this vicious cycle, and sometimes the only way is with professional help, and anti depressants.

I'm truly sorry you're not feeling better, and many of us are here for you if you ever need someone to talk with one on one.   Sometimes you got to accept help from places you'd rather not in order to get well again.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 3:46:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By wtfboombrb:

Sounds like work is at least partially responsible for your sickness. In what ways can you reduce expenses?
View Quote
I was out of work for awhile. My parents have been able to help me out but I do have CC debt, rent, utilities. I owe nothing on my car. I am able to cover all my bills but I refuse to sell any firearms as it wouldn’t even make a dent. There’s not much I can do to reduce my expenses. I could get a second job but the. I’d never see my oldest boy. He lives over 100 miles away.

The worse part is working for a company where everyone is miserable. I also commute 160 miles around trip. I may ha e some good prospects close to home. Hoping to get that sorted out in the next few weeks. The job I have no was supposed to turn into a great career but it doesn’t seem to be working out that way,
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 3:49:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By GreasyEasy:

Based on your very last sentence, it sounds to me like clinical depression, rather than just feeling the blues due to a negative situation in life.

Xanax, or any other benzo will sadly only delay the inevitable, or even make things worse.   They are appropriate for panic attacks, or bouts of extreme anxiety, but are a net negative for use on depression.

Sometimes a professional is the only route to getting better.   A job change could ultimately leave you feeling the same way unless you address the underlying depression.

Depression leads to a compounding effect in regards to negative aspects of your life.  You're depressed so you stay in bed all day, thus you don't see your kids, or go to work....this makes you more depressed, thus you stay in bed longer the next time, and so forth.  You must break this vicious cycle, and sometimes the only way is with professional help, and anti depressants.

I'm truly sorry you're not feeling better, and many of us are here for you if you ever need someone to talk with one on one.   Sometimes you got to accept help from places you'd rather not in order to get well again.
View Quote
Thank you. I really do appreciate each and everyone if you. I’ve got to get up a do a few things but if you’re open to a pm I’d like talk to you, or a homemaker for that mtter if they’re willing.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 4:09:51 PM EDT
[#11]

Thank you. I really do appreciate each and everyone if you. I’ve got to get up a do a few things but if you’re open to a pm I’d like talk to you, or a homemaker for that mtter if they’re willing.
View Quote
Sure thing.  You can send me a PM whenever friend.    I likely can't offer much in the way of homemaker issues, but I'm sure we have a few here that might have experience with those issues.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 9:48:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By j0hn:
I wish there was a way team members could post in this thread (and this thread only) anonymously; obviously staff / mods would know if intervention was needed. Some good people here don’t like admitting their demons / shortcomings and an ability for privacy may help with this.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 10:46:43 PM EDT
[#13]
I just want to thank everyone involved for this post and all the replies.

Because of this thread and the comments inside it ... I have started to share more on this forum about my childhood and some of the shit I went through than I've ever shared with anyone in my entire life. Including my wife. Including multiple therapists. Maybe it's feeling comfortable here after so many years. Maybe it's the support and friendships I've discovered. Maybe it's the anonymity we have here. Maybe it's because the majority of people here are regular dudes like me. But I kinda think it stems from reading so many posts in this thread that make me realize I'm not alone. I feel like a 1500lb weight has been lifted off me because I have now actually said the shit that has been murdering me out loud here ... not literally, but in my own way. I said it out loud and some people here now know who I was as a little boy. The ghost of that kid isn't just mine to hold onto anymore. The world didn't spin off its axis when I finally let those words fly. I'm okay. I'm actually okay. And I can speak about it a little easier now. I can confront it and accept that it happened a little easier now.

We may not all have the same experiences but a simple interest in guns and our rights have brought us to this place at this point in time and that means something. We're here for a reason. We are here TOGETHER for a reason.

I hope and pray that I will be able to help just one person here as I've been helped.

I hope and pray and think about all the people in this thread who have shared. Your courage became my courage. Your will and determination became my will and determination. The words of support you've posted for others became words of support for me. And while I was struggling to share my own shit ... I was praying and sending you good vibes and hoping the best would happen for all of you.

I thank you. From the bottom of my heart, I thank you. If you know nothing else in your life please know that the presence of this post and your participation in it ... made a difference for someone else they've waited years and years to finally find.
Link Posted: 9/30/2019 12:14:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: -CUJO-] [#14]
Originally Posted By iteotwawki:

Because of this thread and the comments inside it ...

I thank you. From the bottom of my heart, I thank you. If you know nothing else in your life please know that the presence of this post and your participation in it ... made a difference for someone else they've waited years and years to finally find.
View Quote
Very well written, Sir.  I just quoted a few sentences but that was fantastic.

Although I have no dog in this fight, it is amazing the quality and compassion of the members that have contributed to this thread.  There should be an  “Unofficial Arfcom 2019 Person of the Year Award.”  I’d be nominating GreasyEasy for the contributions that he has made, the people that he has listened to and the lives that he has touched.  He’s made a big difference to somebody out there that just needed a little. . .
Link Posted: 9/30/2019 12:40:10 AM EDT
[#15]
As always you're too kind CUJ0, but I sincerely appreciate the kind words.  I get tenfold the help, and comfort from our small community, and you guys in this thread as I put in.   This thread is full of inspirational individuals, and the stories they've so unselfishly shared for others to gain strength, and help from.

I'm proud to be a small contributing member to an overall amazing group of folks here that truly care about each other.
Link Posted: 9/30/2019 1:43:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By iteotwawki:

Because of this thread and the comments inside it ... I have started to share more on this forum about my childhood and some of the shit I went through than I've ever shared with anyone in my entire life. Including my wife. Including multiple therapists. Maybe it's feeling comfortable here after so many years. Maybe it's the support and friendships I've discovered. Maybe it's the anonymity we have here. Maybe it's because the majority of people here are regular dudes like me. But I kinda think it stems from reading so many posts in this thread that make me realize I'm not alone. I feel like a 1500lb weight has been lifted off me because I have now actually said the shit that has been murdering me out loud here ... not literally, but in my own way. I said it out loud and some people here now know who I was as a little boy. The ghost of that kid isn't just mine to hold onto anymore. The world didn't spin off its axis when I finally let those words fly. I'm okay. I'm actually okay. And I can speak about it a little easier now. I can confront it and accept that it happened a little easier now.

We may not all have the same experiences but a simple interest in guns and our rights have brought us to this place at this point in time and that means something. We're here for a reason. We are here TOGETHER for a reason.

I hope and pray that I will be able to help just one person here as I've been helped.

I hope and pray and think about all the people in this thread who have shared. Your courage became my courage. Your will and determination became my will and determination. The words of support you've posted for others became words of support for me. And while I was struggling to share my own shit ... I was praying and sending you good vibes and hoping the best would happen for all of you.

View Quote
This thread is a priceless resource and you've added value to it, just like everyone else who's contributed. I'm truly happy you decided to open up and deal with the past. May all go well with you and yours.

Arfcom is filled with compassionate and knowledgeable people ready to jump in and help. I'm inspired and hopeful.
Link Posted: 9/30/2019 10:28:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Hey all, new poster in this thread.

I've had a few breakdowns in the past week where I've got near catatonic and just wanting some kind of release from it all. I feel overwhelmed by worry on a daily basis it seems like.

I think most of it stems from being laid off earlier in the year from my first real job using my degree. I ended up out of work for 4-5 months before landing an internship where I still am. I am a few years behind where I should be in skill and pay because of the first job being very specific and not transferring into what I really want to do well.

In addition to that, I got married and purchased a house and all of those expenses added up as well.

I wasn't the smartest with my money and purchased a vehicle that was okay as a daily driver at best. Between payment, insurance, tolls and gas I was spending near $700/mo which was incredibly difficult with low or no income. I've seen sold this car and purchased a motorcycle to commute on.

Thankfully my wife is gainfully employed and able to cover all of our expenses but it is tough not contributing much to the equation.

I feel like all of my thoughts in this post are scrambled but that's just how my brain is working right now.

I've hurt my wife emotionally over and over because I have no outlet for my anger towards myself and my situation. I pick fights unintentionally and blow everything out of proportion when something goes wrong.
This is by far my greatest sin and that which I regret the most. She has been wonderful to me and brought me back from the edge of ruining everything we've worked towards multiple times.

I've started going to therapy, which in itself has been extremely difficult because I've always seen it as weak and I've been able to deal with my own shit. I'm not sure if it is helping but I'm trying whatever I can to help fix me.

Each day is a battle. Negative thoughts come quick, easy and build on each other.

I'll add to this when I have more time to.
Link Posted: 10/1/2019 12:27:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Narwhals:

I've hurt my wife emotionally over and over because I have no outlet for my anger towards myself and my situation. I pick fights unintentionally and blow everything out of proportion when something goes wrong.
This is by far my greatest sin and that which I regret the most. She has been wonderful to me and brought me back from the edge of ruining everything we've worked towards multiple times.

I've started going to therapy, which in itself has been extremely difficult because I've always seen it as weak and I've been able to deal with my own shit. I'm not sure if it is helping but I'm trying whatever I can to help fix me.

Each day is a battle. Negative thoughts come quick, easy and build on each other.

View Quote
I don't know how to explain it but back in 2004 (I think) I was very much in a weird place and thought about going down that road to suicide but knew I did not want to go down that road. PM me if you want to talk. I can give you my cell phone number as well via PM.
Link Posted: 10/1/2019 12:48:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By F15Mech:
I don't know how to explain it but back in 2004 (I think) I was very much in a weird place and thought about going down that road to suicide but knew I did not want to go down that road. PM me if you want to talk. I can give you my cell phone number as well via PM.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By F15Mech:

Also

Please note that my avatar is now a very good FO Dog. I was in a bad place years ago but am in a good space today. Seriously I was stupid years ago.
Link Posted: 10/1/2019 2:36:21 AM EDT
[#20]
I have a thread about it in Team, but my grandma is in the middle of dieing. I've had plenty of people I care about die, but with this, one second she's seeing the light and Jesus is standing by her bed, next second she's bitching about being in the hospital.

I'm not hoping she'll die, but on the other hand, I'll be glad when she does because her suffering will be over.

I was doing good with my drinking, but this shit has it back in full swing.
Link Posted: 10/1/2019 6:08:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Narwhals] [#21]
Originally Posted By BornToLooze:
I have a thread about it in Team, but my grandma is in the middle of dieing. I've had plenty of people I care about die, but with this, one second she's seeing the light and Jesus is standing by her bed, next second she's bitching about being in the hospital.

I'm not hoping she'll die, but on the other hand, I'll be glad when she does because her suffering will be over.

I was doing good with my drinking, but this shit has it back in full swing.
View Quote
I've been there as well. It was one of the hardest things for me to do, watching my grandma slowly lose her mind and she was always much worse on medication.

Both her and my grandpa needed pretty extensive care that required my mother to run around after work everyday to at least see them. During that time they would say a mix of things along the lines of "I want to die", "these nurses are awful" which was a lie and always asking when they could go home.

I never wishes for them to die, only for their suffering to end and a byproduct of that would be to relieve my mother of her stresses.

They both passed within the weeks of my wedding. Emotional rollercoaster.

My advice, remember her how she was, pray for her peace. Please continue to talk here with us. Some of us may have gone through similar situations and can share.

If you are around Austin, it's better to not drink alone? PM me
Link Posted: 10/1/2019 6:38:29 AM EDT
[#22]
To all the posters here just hang in there one more day it does get better.
Talk to somebody ,there are many here that will listen and not judge.

I am still so broke and poor if I offer to pay attention. I am lying.

Last week it was looking so bleak over my pension my Demons came back.
This thread and a promise made kept kept me from being in the News

As of yesterday it looks like my pension will be safe and I can retire in March

Hang on for just 1 more day. It does and will get better
Link Posted: 10/1/2019 6:40:24 AM EDT
[#23]
I am struggling with the thoughts of being a burden on my wife. She deserves so much more than me and my problems.

Somewhere along the way I've lost my way. I was happy, I was healthy and enjoyed things. Now, not so much. I mean I still get happy but it's usually very briefly and then swings back to very unhappy or neutral and unfeeling.
I really want to be happy for others just because they are happy but I struggle with it unless it also brings me joy. I have empathy for when people are feeling down, but not necessarily when they are up.

Expanding on the job situation, being rejected so many times HURT. I applied to well over 100 jobs and it seems like in software that they are really trying to push for "diversity". I applied at a few companies a month apart or so and one I answered the race/gender questions and the other time I didn't. I got responses from when I didn't....

My current internship, they took a chance on me not having experience in the field directly, but I have some knowledge about the language used and the degree they wanted. I've had days where I sit around and do near nothing, and days where I'm super productive.
They are currently considering me for a full hire role, but the boss of the company made it known that he has noticed I show up and leave at not consistent times. Nearly every software position has flexible hours and considering my commute can be 35-75 minutes I cant guarantee the time I show up. I leave early sometimes for therapy and I don't feel comfortable sharing that with them. I put in my hours, maybe not 8 a day but I put in the time I bill them for. If I don't meet 40 hours that week, I don't get paid for 40.
I like the work and the company is alright. I see them as a great place to learn and move forward from and I would really love to not be unemployed again.

No one else in my family, besides my wife understands this industry because they all have "old world" thinking and the advice they try to give is not helpful for it. I listen and make sure I don't just blow them off but it gets harder each time.

I want to keep the peace and not alienate myself from my family.
Link Posted: 10/1/2019 11:36:48 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By DoverGunner:
To all the posters here just hang in there one more day it does get better.
Talk to somebody ,there are many here that will listen and not judge.

I am still so broke and poor if I offer to pay attention. I am lying.

Last week it was looking so bleak over my pension my Demons came back.
This thread and a promise made kept kept me from being in the News

As of yesterday it looks like my pension will be safe and I can retire in March

Hang on for just 1 more day. It does and will get better
View Quote
@DoverGunner

That is good news!

Link Posted: 10/1/2019 12:05:33 PM EDT
[#25]
I am struggling with the thoughts of being a burden on my wife. She deserves so much more than me and my problems.

Somewhere along the way I've lost my way. I was happy, I was healthy and enjoyed things. Now, not so much. I mean I still get happy but it's usually very briefly and then swings back to very unhappy or neutral and unfeeling.
I really want to be happy for others just because they are happy but I struggle with it unless it also brings me joy. I have empathy for when people are feeling down, but not necessarily when they are up.

Expanding on the job situation, being rejected so many times HURT. I applied to well over 100 jobs and it seems like in software that they are really trying to push for "diversity". I applied at a few companies a month apart or so and one I answered the race/gender questions and the other time I didn't. I got responses from when I didn't....

My current internship, they took a chance on me not having experience in the field directly, but I have some knowledge about the language used and the degree they wanted. I've had days where I sit around and do near nothing, and days where I'm super productive.
They are currently considering me for a full hire role, but the boss of the company made it known that he has noticed I show up and leave at not consistent times. Nearly every software position has flexible hours and considering my commute can be 35-75 minutes I cant guarantee the time I show up. I leave early sometimes for therapy and I don't feel comfortable sharing that with them. I put in my hours, maybe not 8 a day but I put in the time I bill them for. If I don't meet 40 hours that week, I don't get paid for 40.
I like the work and the company is alright. I see them as a great place to learn and move forward from and I would really love to not be unemployed again.

No one else in my family, besides my wife understands this industry because they all have "old world" thinking and the advice they try to give is not helpful for it. I listen and make sure I don't just blow them off but it gets harder each time.

I want to keep the peace and not alienate myself from my family.
View Quote
Can you reschedule therapy? Would you feel secure in your current employment if you quit therapy?

If not, have a talk with the owner. Tell him you like the company and strive to be an asset, but your schedule is difficult to meet due to family time vs widely varying commute times. Ask if there is any way he can make it work for the both of you. Since the commute time can vary widely, can you start work earlier than scheduled so your time is consistent?

You also need to make clear to extended family that you're in charge of your immediate family. Or, just tell them what they want to hear and be done with it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2019 1:18:29 PM EDT
[#26]

Can you reschedule therapy? Would you feel secure in your current employment if you quit therapy?

If not, have a talk with the owner. Tell him you like the company and strive to be an asset, but your schedule is difficult to meet due to family time vs widely varying commute times. Ask if there is any way he can make it work for the both of you. Since the commute time can vary widely, can you start work earlier than scheduled so your time is consistent?

You also need to make clear to extended family that you're in charge of your immediate family. Or, just tell them what they want to hear and be done with it.
View Quote
I already have therapy scheduled for as late as possible during the week to not miss work. As long as I make it to work on time I can put in enough time for it to not be a problem. I don't know if it's helping overall, but my interpersonal communication has improved.
I will give it a few more sessions before I make a decision whether or not to continue. Your question has really made me think about it.

If it comes up again or is questioned, I will have a discussion with the owner. Which I've never actually met, only said hi to in passing. I guess carrying a helmet through the office has made me standout and be noticeable.

You're right, I'm going to have to tell my family to not worry about my job situation. I haven't told anyone about my mental status, and I don't feel like I can with my family. It will hurt/scare them too much and then I imagine them being overly concerned and always in my business.

I don't like this constant battle, but I'll continue on. What are some coping techniques yall have found helpful? Sadly they need to be free/cheap as money is an issue right now.
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 12:16:26 AM EDT
[#27]
I already have therapy scheduled for as late as possible during the week to not miss work. As long as I make it to work on time I can put in enough time for it to not be a problem. I don't know if it's helping overall, but my interpersonal communication has improved.
I will give it a few more sessions before I make a decision whether or not to continue. Your question has really made me think about it.

If it comes up again or is questioned, I will have a discussion with the owner. Which I've never actually met, only said hi to in passing. I guess carrying a helmet through the office has made me standout and be noticeable.

You're right, I'm going to have to tell my family to not worry about my job situation. I haven't told anyone about my mental status, and I don't feel like I can with my family. It will hurt/scare them too much and then I imagine them being overly concerned and always in my business.

I don't like this constant battle, but I'll continue on. What are some coping techniques yall have found helpful? Sadly they need to be free/cheap as money is an issue right now.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Aside from trusting in God, there are things i do that train my brain to live in the moment. While engaged in any kind of exercise (which we should be doing anyway) concentrate on what each muscle is doing and how it feels. Feel the breathing and heartbeat. When walking, be aware of the mechanics in every stride , and frequently adjust speed and technique.

When taking a break from work, I'll look around at every detail in my surrounding. Lay in bed or on the floor and do the same.

There are a bunch of meditation methods we can use. One of the simplest is to lay on the floor in a dark, quiet room, close your eyes, and he aware of how your body feels while motionless. Place one hand on your chest and the other on your abdomen. Remain still and notice what happens.

New activities that challenge body and brain. These might cost a few bucks, but take lessons at bowling, billiards, swimming, etc. Music lessons. Try looking at YT videos if you can't afford real lessons. Buying a harmonica or cheap guitar would be a good way to get started in a learning activity through youtube.

Take climbing lessons. Universities often have resources for that stuff through their outdoor programs. They can be quite affordable.
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 8:11:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BornToLooze] [#28]

I've been there as well. It was one of the hardest things for me to do, watching my grandma slowly lose her mind and she was always much worse on medication.

Both her and my grandpa needed pretty extensive care that required my mother to run around after work everyday to at least see them. During that time they would say a mix of things along the lines of "I want to die", "these nurses are awful" which was a lie and always asking when they could go home.

I never wishes for them to die, only for their suffering to end and a byproduct of that would be to relieve my mother of her stresses.

They both passed within the weeks of my wedding. Emotional rollercoaster.

My advice, remember her how she was, pray for her peace. Please continue to talk here with us. Some of us may have gone through similar situations and can share.

If you are around Austin, it's better to not drink alone? PM me
View Quote
Granny is griping about the nurses, but she's more stubborn than I am and hasn't stopped griping about the nurses and being in the hospital. Especially when it takes a long time to get her Coke in the mornings. My wife's been going to see her everyday, and I keep telling her she needs to put a splash of whiskey in Granny's Coke, and then she'd really be giving the nurses hell.

But while I know it's coming soon, she's 91, and like 4-5 years ago she broke her back and was struck by lightening, and up til last week was living by herself. At this point, she might be too damned stubborn to die.

Me and my wife have been talking about it. She's spent the last year taking care of her, and at this point, I'm surprised she's not raiding my liquor cabinet. She's been up at the hospital while Granny has been talking about how tired she is, and how my dad and uncle are keeping her alive for their benefit, and she's made her peace and is ready to go.

I spent 3 years watching my mom's mom die from cancer and how before she went how she had no clue who anyone was or what was going on, and was just groaning from all the pain she was in. It was bad enough I was praying for her to die to end her suffering.

Granny's ready to go, and she's had a hell of a run. I just wish we could get her out of the hospital and take her home, and get her some Elvis records, her Coke and a strawberry shake and let her go how she wants to.
Link Posted: 10/3/2019 9:52:17 PM EDT
[#29]
This thread, and a few others, persuaded me to re-up my membership.  The people here are amazing!
Link Posted: 10/4/2019 11:39:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Granny finally got moved to a nursing home yesterday.

This morning she rolled out of bed and busted her head open, but they can't give her a bed with rails on it because of some bullshit law some cunt like Hillary Clinton thought up
Link Posted: 10/4/2019 11:54:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GreasyEasy] [#31]
Granny finally got moved to a nursing home yesterday.

This morning she rolled out of bed and busted her head open, but they can't give her a bed with rails on it because of some bullshit law some cunt like Hillary Clinton thought up
View Quote
I'm terribly sorry to hear about your Grandmother.   Before my Grandfather passed years ago he was in a nursing home that I believe was neglectful at times.  He refused to leave Ohio, so nobody could check in constantly to make sure everything was being taken care of.  It's just a tough thing to deal with, and it'll break even the toughest people down.

Stay strong friend, and know that you're doing all that you can, and then some.  She wouldn't want you to be destroyed, or weaken by this.  You have to make sure you're taking care of yourself, and that this doesn't drive you back to dark places.  Just vent when you need to brother, and take a step back as well when you need it.    You got a support system, so don't hesitate to use it.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 5:08:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ripple64] [#32]
So this is night two of not being able to sleep. I keep laying in bed and allowing everything to just pile up in my head. Things I should have said. Things I should have done. I keep allowing myself to be hurt. Whether by my hand or someone else’s. But really it’s mostly me hurting myself by dwelling on what I’ve lost or am going to lose. I’m not giving up on me. I’m dealing with the shit sandwich life is trying to feed me. I know that my shit is nothing compared to most others out there. Just need to vent.  Not many people to talk to at 1am. I’ve given up any thoughts of wanting to hurt myself physically. I just can’t stop beating myself up mentally. I just have to keep reminding myself that everything will be ok. I just have to start believing it.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 8:25:40 AM EDT
[#33]
So this is night two of not being able to sleep. I keep laying in bed and allowing everything to just pile up in my head. Things I should have said. Things I should have done. I keep allowing myself to be hurt. Whether by my hand or someone else’s. But really it’s mostly me hurting myself by dwelling on what I’ve lost or am going to lose. I’m not giving up on me. I’m dealing with the shit sandwich life is trying to feed me. I know that my shit is nothing compared to most others out there. Just need to vent.  Not many people to talk to at 1am. I’ve given up any thoughts of wanting to hurt myself physically. I just can’t stop beating myself up mentally. I just have to keep reminding myself that everything will be ok. I just have to start believing it.
View Quote
I got up early this morning myself...at first I just laid there and then, just like that, all this garbage started streaming through my head. I like beating myself up for all kids of stuff. I got to the point in my life where I believed it was the only thing I was truly good at. I never considered myself to be much of a fighter, but damn if I don't love to kick the shit out of myself!

For starters, don't compare your concerns to those of others. Yours are yours, they are real, and they are causing you stress and anguish. If someone berates you for it, it just means they haven't truly resolved their own issues no matter how severe.

In the past, I used to wake up like that and then lay there for hours just hammering myself. Then I would dread that I couldn't sleep before I had to get up for a job (which I hated) at 04:30. It was a sick thought process going around a very short Mobius strip for the rest of the night.

For the past year I've begun accepting the sleeplessness caused by a racing mind. No matter how tired I am, when I wake up like that I get up and start writing out each issue, new or old, rational or irrational. List that shit. Then, if I feel like it, I start writing out why I feel "X" about issue "Y" even if the answer is "I don't really know..."

Then, if I feel like it, I start brainstorming solutions. This is where I really like to start f'ing myself over, however. :) This is where I learn Acceptance.

I wish I had gone to college for a different degree thirty years ago. I can still change that but it's going to be a lot harder. I work full time, don't have much money etc. If I really want to I can find a way, but I'm going to have to accept that it's not going to be as easy as it was the first time around. Ughh, I shoulda made better decisions back then...

I hate my job, but I'm stuck. Get something that pays less with no benefits, whatever. I just can't seem to accept that is what it might take (and going back to school). Damn, I just really screwed up all these years...

I shoulda spent more time with my mom who was dying from cancer. I can't seem to accept that I did the best I could given my own circumstances at the time.

This is where I f'ck myself because this is where I struggle to accept the consequences of my life and/or choices. And that can be HARD. I try to accept that with some of my problems, fixing them means that I have to make tomorrow Day One of the rest of my life. Sell my nice new truck and buy a beater so that I can go back to school. Or make rent on a slum apartment because I was a horrible spouse and am now on my own. Insert your own problems here: _______________________________________________________________

But with the process of doing something constructive with my time, even though I can't sleep and should be, I am able to resolve or clear my plate of a few things as well. The time I got bullied and belittled in high school that always comes back to me when I'm physically and mentally exhausted? Just reading and seeing it in print I'm able to comprehend the senselessness of focusing on that memory. I can draw a line through it and move to something far more important like outlining what it will take to say I'm sorry or straighten out my finances, or whatever.

It's been so much better than dwelling on the negative thought loop. List problems. List the reasons and feeling they create. Outline/brainstorm solutions, no matter how difficult. Accept that shit. Easier said than done, I know. But it's really the process I find helpful, rather than the mechanical nature of lists.

Hope you are doing better this morning.  God Bless!
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 6:46:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Hey guys, don't stay in bed if you can't sleep.

Get up and read, watch tv, do the dishes, whatever.

Bed is for sleeping and sex.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 6:49:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dolor] [#35]
Sorry for not checking up recently. I should be more active on here. Just helping each other out and whatnot.
Stumble a bit recently, I was feeling really good about myself and everything. Stopping some negative feedback loops inside my head, even simple shit like having better posture and whatnot.
I went to a social event over the weekend, I heard a rumor that my ex might be there but I'm like "fuck it, I'll be fine, I'll just ignore her, I'm way stronger now". Thankfully turns out she didn't show up. The next day I'm sitting in a coffee shop getting some work done,  I decided just to sort of test myself and looked up my ex's IG real quick. My heart felt like it was going to pound out of my chest.  Just fucking afraid.......a fucking 245lb 6' tall man, prepping for a Thai fight, squats 800lbs+......scared shitless by a picture of a 120lb girl. So obviously she did a number on me. Which is weird because I try not to lie to myself, I really thought that she wouldn't have that effect on me anymore. But for some reason deep in my subconscious there's still a scar or an open wound caused by that trauma. And what's even more shameful is there are people who have seen way worse but are somehow way stronger than me. Sometimes I feel like externally it's like "oh okay we get it, you dealt with a bad break up, a girl broke your heart, man the fuck up and get over it HALFNATTYGAINZ", if that makes sense.
So those who are dealing with toxic people, get the fuck away from them, and never fucking never look back. Don't try to "do the right thing", block them, and don't ever even think about looking back. Don't let your curiosity get the best of you and distance yourself the best you can from that person.
I had a slip up, I was doing really well, so I was bound to stumble again for a bit, lol. Doesn't mean I'm not on the right path and it doesn't mean that I'm not doing better. And the same goes for anyone else reading this, no one is 100%. You may make a mistake, shake it off and stay the path.
After I calmed the fuck down, I went up to one of the coffee girls working "hey how's it going, where to you from.....blah blah blah" not because I wanted to fuck her or get her number, but because I knew I needed to get the fuck out of my head. It didn't matter who I was talking to I just needed to connect with a human. And 2, I knew that if I didn't act and face my anxiety and fear I would be 3 steps back instead of just one.
Also:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eClN__7Avuk[/youtube]
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 8:58:06 PM EDT
[#36]
View Quote
It's a very difficult thing to do, but accepting the things that you've done is helpful.
Meditate on that, you did the things you thought were right at the time. You can't change them now, but you can adapt to their outcome.

Venting on here does help as well.
Link Posted: 10/8/2019 9:29:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BornToLooze] [#37]
Granny passed today. You would think as many people as I know that have died this shit would be easier by now, but it just fucking wears on you.

At least now its just a couple every year or so, when I was 13 I spent 2 years watching my grandma die of cancer, and the pair of cowboy boots I got for her funeral I broke in the next year going to funerals because people started dropping like flies.

There's one of those bullshit motivational quotes that says something about life breaks everybody, some people are stronger at the cracks. I've always kinda liked it because every time life throws something bad at me I tend to say bring it on motherfucker, is that the worst you got? With all the bullshit that's been going on with Granny, it feels like somebody's beating on those cracks with a sledgehammer saying how strong's the JB Weld motherfucker?

The one good thing...who the fuck knows what happens when you go, but the best thing that ever happened to Granny was Elvis waved to her when he was pulling out of Graceland. Hopefully she's got her cloud up close to the King's.

Metallica - The Unnamed Feeling (Live In Studio)
Link Posted: 10/8/2019 9:38:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GreasyEasy] [#38]
Granny passed today. You would think as many people as I know that have died this shit would be easier by now, but it just fucking wears on you.

At least now its just a couple every year or so, when I was 13 I spent 2 years watching my grandma die of cancer, and the pair of cowboy boots I got for her funeral I broke in the next year going to funerals because people started dropping like flies.

There's one of those bullshit motivational quotes that says something about life breaks everybody, some people are stronger at the cracks. I've always kinda liked it because every time life throws something bad at me I tend to say bring it on motherfucker, is that the worst you got? With all the bullshit that's been going on with Granny, it feels like somebody's beating on those cracks with a sledgehammer saying how strong's the JB Weld motherfucker?

The one good thing...who the fuck knows what happens when you go, but the best thing that ever happened to Granny was Elvis waved to her when he was pulling out of Graceland. Hopefully she's got her cloud up close to the King's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsK92OtsQlY
View Quote
I'm tremendously sorry for your loss, and I know you're really going through a tough time.  I honestly believe she's in a better place now, and she's free from any pain or suffering that she was going through on earth.

I think your analogy is very true, and even the strongest among us have their breaking point.   Sadly only time heals much of this, and you just have to go on living day by day, staying busy, and slowly putting it behind you as time goes by.

Things will get better friend, you just got to make sure you're there when it does.
Link Posted: 10/8/2019 10:01:30 PM EDT
[#39]

I'm tremendously sorry for your loss, and I know you're really going through a tough time.  I honestly believe she's in a better place now, and she's free from any pain or suffering that she was going through on earth.

I think your analogy is very true, and even the strongest among us have their breaking point.   Sadly only time heals much of this, and you just have to go on living day by day, staying busy, and slowly putting it behind you as time goes by.

Things will get better friend, you just got to make sure you're there when it does.
View Quote
That's one thing I keep thinking about, she was 91 and had made her peace a long time ago. My wife's been taking care of her for the past year, and she waited till 5 minutes after my wife left this morning before she went.

As much as it's tearing me up, I'm glad she's at peace now. She was about gone when they moved her into the nursing home, but while she was in the hospital, she was raising hell about how they couldn't bring her a Coke in the morning, had to bring her apple juice in a cup because they were too cheap for a bottle and she couldn't turn FOX up loud enough where she could hear it. Now God's the one going fucking really???

Used to, every year at Christmas Granny would fry up some chicken. Here recently, we've been getting KFC because she couldn't' do it. I'm thinking me and the wife need to try out Alton Brown's Generals Chicken. It won't take much to outrank the Colonel.
Link Posted: 10/8/2019 10:24:54 PM EDT
[#40]
She certainly sounded like an amazing person, and obviously fantastic Grandmother.    I find telling those funny stories about lost loved ones to be the best medicine for healing the heart.  It keeps them alive in some small way as well.
Link Posted: 10/11/2019 1:54:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BornToLooze] [#41]
She certainly sounded like an amazing person, and obviously fantastic Grandmother.    I find telling those funny stories about lost loved ones to be the best medicine for healing the heart.  It keeps them alive in some small way as well.
View Quote
You have no idea.

My wife's been monday morning quarterbacking the shit it out of it. Coulda, shoulda, woulda. I've been telling her how thinking about that is just going to lead to you being a bitter alcoholic, and thank God she's listening to me.

The day Granny fell when she had to go to the ER she went over there late because she was getting the kids ready for school. But from what we've figured out Granny fell about an hour after she left the night before. But Granny also had asphyxiation pneumonia, which we didn't find out about until she went to the ER, but, it was making her mind go along with throwing her balance off, which is why she kept falling. And when Granny went, my wife had been sitting with her all morning, and she waited about 10-20 minutes after my wife left before she went.

Something I realized a couple years ago when I was doing my damnedest to drink myself to death, I have all this shit that's been eating me up about what I could of or should of done with all the people I know that have died. Despite the fact that no one hates me more than I hate myself, I'm a Maserati in a world of Kias. My kids love the fuck out of me, I have the greatest wife that ever lived, and I'm raising a family with a special needs kid on, for now, just my salary. But despite all the dumbass mistakes I've made, and despite my self hated, I have no regrets. I believe in me. I'm a little screwed up, but I'm beautiful.

I just hope my wife doesn't start following in my footsteps.
Link Posted: 10/11/2019 2:09:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GreasyEasy] [#42]

You have no idea.

My wife's been monday morning quarterbacking the shit it out of it. Coulda, shoulda, woulda. I've been telling her how thinking about that is just going to lead to you being a bitter alcoholic, and thank God she's listening to me.

The day Granny fell when she had to go to the ER she went over there late because she was getting the kids ready for school. But from what we've figured out Granny fell about an hour after she left the night before. But Granny also had asphyxiation pneumonia, which we didn't find out about until she went to the ER, but, it was making her mind go along with throwing her balance off, which is why she kept falling. And when Granny went, my wife had been sitting with her all morning, and she waited about 10-20 minutes after my wife left before she went.

Something I realized a couple years ago when I was doing my damnedest to drink myself to death, I have all this shit that's been eating me up about what I could of or should of done with all the people I know that have died. Despite the fact that no one hates me more than I hate myself, I'm a Maserati in a world of Kias. My kids love the fuck out of me, I have the greatest wife that ever lived, and I'm raising a family with a special needs kid on, for now, just my salary. But despite all the dumbass mistakes I've made, and despite my self hated, I have no regrets. I believe in me. I'm a little screwed up, but I'm beautiful.

I just hope my wife doesn't start following in my footsteps.
View Quote
That's the right perspective to have, and it's without you when I think your wife would be in jeopardy of going down that dark path.

It sounds like you've come from that bottom rung of the well, and have formed a strong mental base because of it.  She'll need you, and you'll be the perfect person to help her navigate these difficult times.

It's terrible how regret can absolutely eat you alive from the inside if you don't tamper it down.   Accepting, and moving on in life is the best medicine many times, but it's also the hardest to deliver for many.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 1:49:45 AM EDT
[#43]
Its a shitty situation.   But you need to accept what she is saying and focus on yourself.   There is nothingyou can do to make her change her mind.

Believe me.  Its all about you and your kid now.  My wife of 17 years, partner of 21+ years decided lastyear that she wanted to nail her 60 year old boss and ruin her family.  At first I pleaded and pursued.  But I realized I aman alpha.  I am the prize not her.  I detached from her and moved on.  We are both 39.

I found a wonderfulnew girlfriend.  Shes honest, loving and hot as hell.  Shes 26.  I thank my whore ex wife for my get out of jail free card.

It hurt like a mother dont get me wrong.  But I deserve better.
You deserve better.   Go pick up the divorce remedy book.
Read it several times.  Practice what it says.  You will be a better person in the end, for you and your kid.

There is not a lot of structure to this more a verbal vomit.

First off I want to thank everyone involved with this thread. You have helped me over the last few days even though I never reached out here. Just reading the words of encouragement to others really gave me strength to keep going.

My wife of 4 years informed me on Friday that she wanted a divorce. This is after she scheduled us couples counseling and backed out. I am devastated. To me this came out of nowhere. I guess she has been hurting the last couple of years because I’m not really the partner that I should have been. I never raised my voice to her, never raised my hand to her. Really it’s because we never do much of anything together. We work different schedules, I’m on days and she’s on evenings. But that’s really not an excuse. Whatever free time we had together i pissed away drinking or taking care of myself and not taking care of our needs.

Friday night I slept on the couch and then went to work Saturday morning on my day off to try and take my mind off it. I couldn’t concentrate and decided that me being at work was unsafe for me and those around me. I came back home, my wife was awake so I tried to talk to her again. Asking her if this is really what she wants. Is this really how she wants to end this. We have a 10 month old daughter and 3 dogs and a house.

She’s heard it all from me before. I can change. I can do better. But I never really do. I grew too complacent and too comfortable with me and I stopped developing, stopped challenging myself.

After pleading with her to reconsider she dropped the bombshell on me. That she had met someone else and had feelings for them. Not that anything has happened. Yeah right. Like I should take some comfort from that. Doesn’t matter whether or not it’s physical. You’re reaching out to someone else when you should be reaching out to me. It broke my heart. I packed a bag and left. She wants to keep this as amicable as possible. She wants nothing from me. 50-50 split on the child and she would like to refinance and keep the house.

I’m staying at my parents house while I’m in the process of moving out of mine. She wants the house because it’s set up perfectly for the dogs and the kid. And realistically she can have it.

Saturday night I got drunk. Just the typical bravado of a guy who just got dumped. Yeah fuck that bitch I’m better off without her. Sunday I went out and picked up more beer. I was going to have a two day pity party and then get my life back on track. But I ended up not drinking. I started thinking what if she calls and wants me to come home?  What if something happened to my kid and I can’t race to be with her?  I got to thinking that this shit has ruined my life, and I don’t need it anymore. I dumped it all down the drain. Haven’t had a drop or really thought about it in the last four days.

Sunday night I was trying to figure out how I was going to kill myself. My sober ass was lying in bed.  In the dark  and the walls were closing in. I couldn’t breathe. I didn’t know what to do. Didn’t know how to cope. Didn’t know who to talk to. I remembered this thread. So I came here and started reading other people’s stories.

Eventually I read a post by @HALFNATTYGAINZ about a book he read, Can’t Hurt Me. So I said fuck it at this point what do I have to lose. Downloaded it and started reading.  Holy shit, talk about reading exactly what I needed to hear at that moment, and in a way I could understand. Simple as that. How fucking unreal is that.

I read the book in a day and am in the process of reading it again. Taking my time and doing the challenges in it.  That’s where I came to the realization that I just stopped pushing myself. I stopped putting myself out there. And that’s why my marriage fell apart. Honestly everyone, I’m trying to put my marriage back together.  I think we can work through this.  I have support from my family as well as members of her’s. Even though my wife backed out of counseling. I still went for myself. And I scheduled another appointment that I’m going to invite her to. I’m not ready to give up on us and I am ready to change and challenge who I am and how I deal with myself on a daily basis.

As I type this out my 10 month old is lying sleeping next to me. If I had given up on Sunday I wouldn’t be here with her now. If things don’t work out with her mom and me that’s ok. I think I’ve finally come to grips with that. But I’m going to be stronger and better for my daughter. There is still a lot of work to do. A lot of hurt to heal.

To everyone else out there, you’re not alone. And shit probably won’t be better today, or tomorrow, but I’m holding out hope that someday it will. Thanks guys.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 10:05:59 AM EDT
[#44]
Thanks for the advice. I will take any and all that I can get. As an update it has been a little over a month since she told me she wanted a divorce. As more and more interactions happen with her, the more I think that I am dodging a bullet. I think she is very unsure of what she wants moving forward but in my mind the cat is already out of the bag. No talks of reconciliation, which I am 100% not willing to do at this point contrary to previous posts. More along the lines of her waffling on what she wants and why she’s doing this. At this point I don’t fucking care.

I’ve used the last month to really reflect and look at what I need to improve on as a person. I’m 31 days sober. I’m working out daily. I’ve lost 20lbs. Doing 30-40 minutes of cardio and a lot of high rep low weight lifting workouts. Watching what I eat and stretching! I feel really good about myself. And for the first time in a long time I am able to put myself first. When I have my kid it’s all about her. I’ve got play dates set up for her and have surrounded her with people who love and care about her.

I’m not out of the woods on this yet. Still a lot of things to work out. Seeing my soon to be ex is still hard. But my focus now is moving forward. Getting right with my mind and body, and being the best dad that I can be.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 1:39:08 AM EDT
[#45]
Thanks for the advice. I will take any and all that I can get. As an update it has been a little over a month since she told me she wanted a divorce. As more and more interactions happen with her, the more I think that I am dodging a bullet. I think she is very unsure of what she wants moving forward but in my mind the cat is already out of the bag. No talks of reconciliation, which I am 100% not willing to do at this point contrary to previous posts. More along the lines of her waffling on what she wants and why she’s doing this. At this point I don’t fucking care.

I’ve used the last month to really reflect and look at what I need to improve on as a person. I’m 31 days sober. I’m working out daily. I’ve lost 20lbs. Doing 30-40 minutes of cardio and a lot of high rep low weight lifting workouts. Watching what I eat and stretching! I feel really good about myself. And for the first time in a long time I am able to put myself first. When I have my kid it’s all about her. I’ve got play dates set up for her and have surrounded her with people who love and care about her.

I’m not out of the woods on this yet. Still a lot of things to work out. Seeing my soon to be ex is still hard. But my focus now is moving forward. Getting right with my mind and body, and being the best dad that I can be.
View Quote
Thats the right mentality man.  Keep it up.  You cant fix her.  You can fix you.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 10:56:40 PM EDT
[#46]

View Quote
Good for you you have the right mindset and trust me you'll be much better off in the long run
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 11:06:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By DoverGunner:

Good for you you have the right mindset and trust me you'll be much better off in the long run
View Quote
I thought about you the second I read his most excellent reply.   You conquered, and defeated that demonic woman that was holding you back, and now you're back to succeeding!

Proud of you friend, keep up the great work!
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 11:11:39 PM EDT
[#48]

View Quote
Proud to hear all this brother!   Those are the words of a man that is getting better.  You're doing the extremely hard things it takes to get back to living life on your terms, and enjoying it for all it's worth.

Keep up the really great progress, and I imagine things are only going to get better, and better from here on out.
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 12:04:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: iteotwawki] [#49]
This thread is proof that the good in General Discussion far outweighs the bad.

To those of you who are suffering with insomnia and anxiety and depression and PTSD and so many other things, I can tell you that my experience with EMDR therapy (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing) has been life-saving. It's been life-changing, too. It literally rewires how your brain thinks about and reacts to certain situations you've experienced. At least that's what it did for me. When I see something that would have triggered me a few years ago now ... my mind immediately jumps to something else. Something *I* chose for it to jump to.

My therapist says EMDR is like a Patronus Charm in Harry Potter. In Harry Potter, you have to think about something happy before you cast the Patronus (which is your spirit animal), which scares away the Dementors. The happy thing you think of in EMDR is what replaces the bad things when you're reminded of them. I don't know how or why it has been so effective for me but it has.

And so is the presence of this thread here at ARFCOM. This thread, combined with my EMDR, has allowed me to open a vein here on this site and begin to talk about some of the more horrendous elements of my childhood and life in general. Yes, I've had the usual GD responses at times and I've had a couple of responses here that left me cold and clammy and sitting in my therapist's chair bawling, but for the most part ... all I've encountered is support. I've found people here, regular men like me with families and wives, who had similar childhoods. It's so hard to talk about being raped as a little boy when you're a man. It just is. It goes against everything we are as men and what we're taught. There are so many local rape support groups for women in my area but none for men. It's not something that's talked about openly among men from my experience. So, to have found friends here who can actually say, "I get it. I know. I was only six when it happened to me. It's okay. Just breathe." That means more to me than I will ever be able to fully articulate.

And to the gent who lost his grandmother and is having a hard time:

If you need to talk to a professional about your grief please understand that it isn't a sign of weakness. You are the only person in your head and heart who knows you well enough to know if you need grief counseling. If you do ... get it. I bet there are local grief support groups you can find near you for free, too. Usually, your local hospital will have a list of all the groups in your area and that's a perfect place to start. Keep talking about it. Even if it's just talking to us or your wife. Death is a natural part of life but that doesn't mean it doesn't rip the carpet from beneath you and leave you with a concussion from the fall. I am so sorry for your loss. Please ... know yourself and get help if you think you need that. Your wife, too. Godspeed, friend.
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 12:49:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GreasyEasy] [#50]
Thanks for sharing iteotwawki.  It's really awesome, and inspiring to hear how you're conquering your past traumatic history.  I can only imagine how much your journey through all this helps, and then saves those you foster/parent.

It's very helpful to many when we share the medical treatments we've had success with like you're doing, as we men still tend to stigmatize medicine quite badly.  I think that's a big reason why this is a helpful thread, as it removes the stigma that so many of us have felt at one time, or another.

Thanks for being you!
Page / 73
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top