Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2019 8:55:10 PM EDT
If Jupiter left our solar system and flew off into interstellar space, would it still be a planet or would it just be an asteroid?

Are there giant planets out there without stars?
Link Posted: 9/14/2019 9:25:12 PM EDT
[#1]
My definition of a planet is a body large enough that its gravity pulls it into a spherical shape.

So, by my standard, Jupiter would still be a planet.

Of course, by my standard, Pluto is still a planet.

I am not an astronomer.  You have probably guessed that by now.

Supposedly, there is a large planet we don't know where it is, but it is out there, and its gravity affects the orbits of our known planets.

I see no reason why a planet could not exist without a star.  Probably formed in a solar system, but some how left it.

How?, I don't know.
Link Posted: 9/14/2019 9:35:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My definition of a planet is a body large enough that its gravity pulls it into a spherical shape.

So, by my standard, Jupiter would still be a planet.

Of course, by my standard, Pluto is still a planet.

I am not an astronomer.  You have probably guessed that by now.

Supposedly, there is a large planet we don't know where it is, but it is out there, and its gravity affects the orbits of our known planets.

I see no reason why a planet could not exist without a star.  Probably formed in a solar system, but some how left it.

How?, I don't know.
View Quote
Your definition of planet would also include our moon and several other moons and asteroids in the solar in the solar system.
Link Posted: 9/14/2019 9:39:24 PM EDT
[#3]
It'd be a rogue planet.
Link Posted: 9/14/2019 9:43:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Your definition of planet would also include our moon and several other moons and asteroids in the solar in the solar system.  
View Quote
I have no problem with that.  We need more planets.
Link Posted: 9/14/2019 11:18:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
It'd be a rogue planet.
View Quote
I never knew this was a thing.  Cool!
Link Posted: 9/14/2019 11:53:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It'd be a rogue planet.
View Quote
This.

I think asteroids tend to be grouped up space trash that compacted a bit or ejections from planets but never had a molten core and also don’t meet the requirements for gas giants. Then there’s the classification of Pluto. Celestial dwarf? (although this seems arbitrary and petty) There’s a rick and Morty that discusses that.

If you love space, check out The Planets series.  There’s an older bbc one and then a science channel newer one. Absolutely amazing shit.  Also the SciShow YouTube channel has some great info.  Being as old as I am, I still learn jaw dropping crap about space and planets all the time. Ie theorized Jupiter has a core of metallic hydrogen that is what causes its massive magnetic field. Also supposedly rains diamonds there.  Another thing I recently learned is that out galaxy's supermassive black hole started feeding again overnight and it’s developed a quasar (which was mistaken for being a bright star in a similar region of space) which has the potential to sterilize the entire galaxy.
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 12:07:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 12:44:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Jupiter is a gas giant

with a significant amount of input, it could be a brown dwarf star
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 1:01:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Jupiter is a gas giant

View Quote
Those bastards who sterilized the human race managed to do that on Stargate sg1
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 1:29:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Somewhere between rogue planet and brown dwarf.

Jupiter radiates more energy than it receives from the Sun.
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 1:19:16 PM EDT
[#11]
It would be a rogue plant.  There's lots of them out in deep space.
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 1:20:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Jupiter is a gas giant

View Quote
13 to 80 times it's current mass.  Jupiter is no where close to a brown dwarf.
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 1:40:07 PM EDT
[#13]
I would be less concerned about Jupiter's current designation and more concerned about our total lack of asteroid protection at that point.

Jupiter is a supermassive shield for Earth that pulls in a lot of the incoming stuff that'd destroy our planet.
Link Posted: 11/24/2019 9:55:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Here's a better definition:

A planet is an astronomical body orbiting a star or stellar remnant that is massive enough to be rounded by its own gravity, is not massive enough to cause thermonuclear fusion, and has cleared its neighbouring region of planetesimals
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 8:04:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I made a thread in GD about this a few years back.

3 main criteria.

1) in orbit around the sun (see exemption for rogue planets)
2) enough mass to pull itself into a rounded shape
3) clears its own orbit and the area around it, in other words anything nearby is either eaten or cast away.
#3 is what tends to eliminate asteroids and whatnot.
View Quote

I still find #3 a bit troubling.  Put earth in a 2:3 resonant orbit with a gas giant and it's no longer a planet simply because of its neighbors.  Convenient if you wan't to disregard a lot of objects, but that seems the primary reason for inclusion of this rule.  Likewise, if you were to nudge pluto into an orbit of it's own, suddenly it magically becomse a planet again.  #3 is just too arbitrary for me.

To get around the "we teach kids 350+ planets", I think it would have been better to say "The 9 Cannonical Planets" including Pluto, and then just deal with the fact that you have a lot of minor planets and planetssimals, of which Pluto really is one but it seemed uncouth and revisionist to oust it from it's station.

Not that my view really matters.
Link Posted: 11/14/2020 4:57:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Gee gosh, if only there were words to describe that. It's like nobody in science has ever thought of what a non-gravitationally bound planetoid would be called, or even if it were possible. Truly you are a trailblazer, OP.
Link Posted: 11/14/2020 5:15:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Its a gas giant

it could almost be a star
Link Posted: 11/15/2020 6:13:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Its a gas giant

it could almost be a star
View Quote

If by almost, you mean that it only needs to increase its mass by about 70 times, then yes, "almost" a star (lightest known red dwarf star,  EBLM J0555-57Ab, is approximately 70 times the mass of Jupiter, though it is much more dense, actually having a smaller diameter).

Mike
Link Posted: 11/15/2020 6:19:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 11:05:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Of course, it would be a rough planet, but by no means a brown dwarf. But can I ask you why you decided that Jupiter could leave Solar System?
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 2:08:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Almost, for lage orders of almost
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 4:25:09 PM EDT
[#22]
It would be a rogue planet.
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 9:26:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Jupiter is a 'Gas Giant', totally incapable of ever being classified as an asteroid.
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 10:46:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top