Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 5:43:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

My dealer has only gotten a few of them, I stopped in for something else and they just happened to be putting one on the shelf.  

So my wait was only the 60 seconds or so it took me to impulse buy it
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If I could only have one, it'd be my ported ms 261. It rips compared to the stock version.
I reserve the right to change my answer when my 500i shows up. I've been waiting about four months now.

for those that have the 500, how long did you have to wait?

My dealer has only gotten a few of them, I stopped in for something else and they just happened to be putting one on the shelf.  

So my wait was only the 60 seconds or so it took me to impulse buy it

Pretty much like this?
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 5:47:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

We searched the internet and they came up in stock @ a couple sores in the east, my nephew had his shipped to him, then one popped on a local watchlist he had, and I snagged it :)  about a month wait for me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If I could only have one, it'd be my ported ms 261. It rips compared to the stock version.
I reserve the right to change my answer when my 500i shows up. I've been waiting about four months now.

for those that have the 500, how long did you have to wait?

We searched the internet and they came up in stock @ a couple sores in the east, my nephew had his shipped to him, then one popped on a local watchlist he had, and I snagged it :)  about a month wait for me.

That's about what I expected.
I got tired of waiting so I ordered a new 462 with a 3/4 wrap handle. It took a month to get here. I think I'm going to send it out for port work, and keep the 500 stock.
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 6:39:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Tell me of this "porting" ye speak of please...
View Quote

How much time do you have?
Rabbit hole #261
Rabbit hole #462

Other Utube searches to consider for porting lessons
hotsaws101
Donny Walker
Tinman's saws
Redbull661

Excellent tree cutting channels.
Buckin' Billy Ray Smith
Reg Coates
August Hunicke
Guilty of Treeson

Firewood channels
Back 40 Firewood
In The Woodyard
Outside with Scheib

If you like some of the above channels, you'll probably like.
Steve's Small Engine Saloon

Link Posted: 9/22/2021 8:06:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

How much time do you have?
Rabbit hole #261
Rabbit hole #462

Other Utube searches to consider for porting lessons
hotsaws101
Donny Walker
Tinman's saws
Redbull661

Excellent tree cutting channels.
Buckin' Billy Ray Smith
Reg Coates
August Hunicke
Guilty of Treeson

Firewood channels
Back 40 Firewood
In The Woodyard
Outside with Scheib

If you like some of the above channels, you'll probably like.
Steve's Small Engine Saloon

View Quote

Awesome thread bump...port all the things
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 8:15:49 AM EDT
[#5]
I have two 038 Magnums with 24-inch bars. The older I get the more they bust my balls.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 11:40:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
OP, you're gonna hafta do work to get the 461 + 28" Light Bar out of my hands. I haven't yet tried the 500 though, but the old and reliable 461 is just near impossible to beat, IMHO.

ETA: Oh and once you go full-wrap, you never go back.

https://i.imgur.com/7GxuOfV.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/aVW9WjF.jpg
View Quote

No need for a 500i if you have a 461, unless of course that 461 gets dirty.

Cleanest damn saws outside the store display I have ever seen.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 9:07:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The only solution is obviously to buy a new chainsaw and start cutting down trees that might reach your truck
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've been paying too much attention to this thread, I had nightmares last night about trees falling on my truck

The only solution is obviously to buy a new chainsaw and start cutting down trees that might reach your truck

I hate you guys

Alright.
So if I wanted to run a 24in lightweight bar, what's a good chainsaw to run?

How do I do it RIGHT not cheap
If forced to choose between the 2, I pick RIGHT.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 9:09:14 PM EDT
[#8]
MS 170 here: be all you can be...

Chris
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 9:12:23 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a MS-271,it has served me well and gonna put it to some more work this fall, it should last me quite a long time.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 9:16:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I hate you guys

Alright.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've been paying too much attention to this thread, I had nightmares last night about trees falling on my truck

I hate you guys

Alright.

Where are you?  More specifically, what wood will you be cutting?
Here in the PNW where everything is fir and pine shops sell 60cc pro saws with 24 and 28" bars.  Back east where everything is oak they'll say 20" is the max for little saws like that and you need a MS461 or 372xp for 24"
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 9:28:40 PM EDT
[#11]
A muff modded Stihl ms200, 261 and a MMWS 461.

A 261 would serve 90% of people well but is a pro saw with a pro price. We use the ms291 on the fd for storm cleanup, cheaper and they work good but not a hot rod like the 261.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 9:55:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Well you assholes cost me more money.

Have been looking at upgrading my 20yr old craftsman my grandad gave me. Seeing all the praise for the ms261 pushed me over the edge.

Now I've got a MS261 with 16 (what it came with) or 20" bars, and a MS170 with a 14" 0.05 bar/chain.

Absolutely loving this combination.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 9:57:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Here in the PNW where everything is fir and pine shops sell 60cc pro saws with 24 and 28" bars.  Back east where everything is oak they'll say 20" is the max for little saws like that and you need a MS461 or 372xp for 24"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hate you guys

Alright.

East coast, North east.
I have a 16in ECHO electric that's decent. But being honest, when it gets hot from being used, the saw will slow down a bit. If the saw slows down a bit it stops the chain.
TLDR: The saw has anxiety and will ragequit under prolonged or serious use.  

While it's pretty good for small jobs/convenience, I'd like to pick up a "serious saw".

I'm wondering if a strong 20in is significant enough a job and suitable for big trees - I've got a few with 2ft diameters around here.
Lot of oak and maple by me.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 10:39:55 PM EDT
[#14]
I have  nothing to add to the discussion except old Stihl pics. Helped the old man drop an old tree on the family property. Probably not impressive to some but it made me do a double take.

" />
" />
" />
Made in West Germany
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 8:41:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

East coast, North east.
I have a 16in ECHO electric that's decent. But being honest, when it gets hot from being used, the saw will slow down a bit. If the saw slows down a bit it stops the chain.

While it's pretty good for small jobs/convenience, I'd like to pick up a "serious saw".

I'm wondering if a strong 20in is significant enough a job and suitable for big trees - I've got a few with 2ft diameters around here.
View Quote

If you want to run a 24" bar in big oak a lot, I'd go with a 462cm or 500i.  If it's mainly smaller trees with a few bigger ones, I'd go with a 362cm with the 24" bar.

You can for sure cut bigger trees with a smaller bar, you just have to be able to cut from both sides of the tree when making notches / bore cuts...etc.  It does make a little more complicated if your not used to it.  I dropped some pretty good sized trees with a 20" bar in the past, when it's all you have, you make it work.  Then you start bucking those trees up and it takes forever because you have to cut from both sides on every cut you make....it gets annoying fast....fast enough to start justifying a bigger saw
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 8:44:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Have been looking at upgrading my 20yr old craftsman my grandad gave me. Seeing all the praise for the ms261 pushed me over the edge.

Now I've got a MS261 with 16 (what it came with) or 20" bars, and a MS170 with a 14" 0.05 bar/chain.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/322543/20210924_190410_jpg-2107532.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/322543/20210924_170218_jpg-2107533.JPG
View Quote

Good combination for what most people do.....congrats.

I bought my wife a 181 with the easy start, I use it all the time for limbing and small jobs....it's hard to beat a small lightweight saw for that stuff.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 9:43:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Good combination for what most people do.....congrats.

I bought my wife a 181 with the easy start, I use it all the time for limbing and small jobs....it's hard to beat a small lightweight saw for that stuff.
View Quote

I'm all about lightweight.

When I do use my saws I use them alot. I'll go 8 months without using them and then use them everyday for a month.

Loading a heavy ass saw every single day will really wear you out. The 10lb MS261 with a small bar/chain is really comfortable to saw with. I haven't regretted dropping the $600 for one second!
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 10:00:45 AM EDT
[#18]
OP, it's really a personal choice based on the jobs you face.  

For me, MS170.  Small and light enough not to kick your ass working in the canopy, powerful enough to take 32" wood.  Mine has a lot of hours on it, and just keeps running strong.  Zero issues.  Only real cons are that the oiler and carb aren't adjustable.  I've got an adjustable replacement carb that I have been meaning to swap in for about four years now, along with the rest of the hop-ups that guys tend to do to saws (porting, timing, opening up the muffler).  But the saw continues to laugh at wood in its bone stock condition, so I just keep running it.  If it ain't broke, something something.  

IMO, quality fuel, oil, and chain, along with proper maintenance, knowing how to keep your chain sharp, and having a good oiler are more important than how big the powerhead is.  

An anecdote: Buddy of mine just got a brand new MS391.  I had him meet me on a job a couple of weeks ago so that I could play with it.  I was not very impressed with the saw.  I would describe performance as lackluster.  And even maxed out, the oiler was anemic.  Everything that I tried the 391 at, my 170 did better.  It was kind of frustrating for us both.  Him because of the performance issues, and me because I really wanted to love the saw.  

Link Posted: 9/27/2021 10:20:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
OP, it's really a personal choice based on the jobs you face.  

For me, MS170.  Small and light enough not to kick your ass working in the canopy, powerful enough to take 32" wood.  Mine has a lot of hours on it, and just keeps running strong.  Zero issues.  Only real cons are that the oiler and carb aren't adjustable.  I've got an adjustable replacement carb that I have been meaning to swap in for about four years now, along with the rest of the hop-ups that guys tend to do to saws (porting, timing, opening up the muffler).  But the saw continues to laugh at wood in its bone stock condition, so I just keep running it.  If it ain't broke, something something.  

IMO, quality fuel, oil, and chain, along with proper maintenance, knowing how to keep your chain sharp, and having a good oiler are more important than how big the powerhead is.  

An anecdote: Buddy of mine just got a brand new MS391.  I had him meet me on a job a couple of weeks ago so that I could play with it.  I was not very impressed with the saw.  I would describe performance as lackluster.  And even maxed out, the oiler was anemic.  Everything that I tried the 391 at, my 170 did better.  It was kind of frustrating for us both.  Him because of the performance issues, and me because I really wanted to love the saw.  

View Quote

What type of 32" wood are you cutting with a 170?

The 391 is an overweight / underpowered saw....there are a lot of better options in the Stihl lineup.  

At the same time I had a buddy bring a saw over and complained it was garbage, it wasn't the saw that was the problem, it was his inability to sharpen a chain.  He thought it was magic that the "saw" did so much better after I sharpened the chain for him.  Knowing how to sharpen a chain can make an average saw look good and a great saw look average.  Not saying this was the problem with your buddies saw, your story just reminded me of it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 12:31:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 6:05:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 6:13:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is the way. My 170 is 16 inch green chain and the 261 is 20 inch yellow chain.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 7:09:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

@TaxPayer77

This is the way. My 170 is 16 inch green chain and the 261 is 20 inch yellow chain.
View Quote

You should look into converting the MS170 to the 14" 0.05 chain. It makes a world of difference.

How To Install A More Robust Bar & Chain On A Stihl Ms180, 170, 018, 017 Chainsaw

I can send the part numbers if you need them, but he gives them in the video.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 6:54:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

If you want to run a 24" bar in big oak a lot, I'd go with a 462cm or 500i.  If it's mainly smaller trees with a few bigger ones, I'd go with a 362cm with the 24" bar.

You can for sure cut bigger trees with a smaller bar, you just have to be able to cut from both sides of the tree when making notches / bore cuts...etc.  It does make a little more complicated if your not used to it.  I dropped some pretty good sized trees with a 20" bar in the past, when it's all you have, you make it work.  Then you start bucking those trees up and it takes forever because you have to cut from both sides on every cut you make....it gets annoying fast....fast enough to start justifying a bigger saw
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

East coast, North east.

Not to sound like one of the poors, but, I'm thinking I might get myself an Echo-CS620 or CS680
Note I would just be doing bucking work, and heavy storm cleanup - no felling!

Supposedly when compared to one of the modern saws the 680 is a heavy dog, but torquey, simple, and reliable.
I'm attracted to that

The 16in electric I have doesn't like prolonged cutting on the big trees here that fall
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 8:29:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Not to sound like one of the poors, but, I'm thinking I might get myself an Echo-CS620 or CS680

Supposedly when compared to one of the modern saws the 680 is a heavy dog, but torquey, simple, and reliable.
I'm attracted to that

The 16in electric I have doesn't like prolonged cutting on the big trees here that fall
View Quote

I would get the 590 Timberwolf, same saw minus aluminum handle, magnesium cover, metal rear handle, and something I'm forgetting for $180 more.  After the initial first start, this thing just goes like hell. I bought a 24" bar this week to do a few cuts and see how it likes it but the 20" will be my main bar.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 9:00:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I would get the 590 Timberwolf, same saw minus aluminum handle, magnesium cover, metal rear handle, and something I'm forgetting for $180 more.  
View Quote

Or you could get a much better saw such as a Stihl or Husky.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 9:15:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Or you could get a much better saw such as a Stihl or Husky.  
View Quote

The Stihl or Husky comparable to the Timberwolf is $300-400 more, and from what I've seen, not worth the
extra money.  The ones in the same price range as the Timberwolf are outclassed by it.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 9:23:17 PM EDT
[#28]
I picked up an interesting one yesterday to start playing with, a Stihl MS362C...
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 9:24:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 9:44:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Fuck, when did I get old?

FI chainsaws?  The hell you say!  

... I'd take it for a rip and test it out.

My favorite all around saw would be a 360 Stihl of all the Stihls I had.

372xp Husky is my favorite of all time.
View Quote

I suppose you're still ripping a carb'd snow machine? You should check out one of them new turbo/FI jobbies.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 9:50:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 10:00:52 PM EDT
[#32]

I have that same saw. I grab it more than anything else. I ran 4 tanks through it on Sunday. Dolmar makes a nice saw.

My "big" saw is a ported Husky 261 with a 24" semi skip. I like that saw. Reasonably light and powerful.

My baby saw is a Echo CS310. I love how light it is. It's my camping saw, too.

The 500i has my attention, for sure. I'd drop all of my bar sizes. 16" on the Dolmar and 20" on the 261. 24" and 28" for the 500i. It would be a perfect lineup.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 10:13:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

This.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Most recently?  A pair of black locust.  One of which had a section of chain embedded in it.  That's always a delightful surprise.  

If there's a hardwood species native to here, this saw has eaten it.  

Link Posted: 9/28/2021 10:47:51 PM EDT
[#34]
My "big" saw is a ported Husky 261 with a 24" semi skip
View Quote
One of my favorite saws has always been a Husqvarna 61, and have owned several over the years...all with 20" bars.  Never messed with a 261, but do have a 268 and a 266XP.  I thought about sending the 266XP off to be ported, it would be impressive with a 20" bar.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 11:57:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Do you have a saw detail service that washes and waxes for pics ?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP, you're gonna hafta do work to get the 461 + 28" Light Bar out of my hands. I haven't yet tried the 500 though, but the old and reliable 461 is just near impossible to beat, IMHO.

ETA: Oh and once you go full-wrap, you never go back.

https://i.imgur.com/7GxuOfV.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/aVW9WjF.jpg

Do you have a saw detail service that washes and waxes for pics ?

I always wonder that in these saw threads. Then again, all I cut is pine and fir. Sap litterally flying as you cut. My saws all look like a major league baseball bat.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 7:23:13 AM EDT
[#36]

That's a sweet saw !
I like my 361 alot.

The 362 will run great.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 7:24:44 AM EDT
[#37]
This thread is so much better than all the doom and gloom threads.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 7:28:36 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I'm attracted to that

View Quote

I have that saw and love it.
During the Texas ice issue it stayed in the back seat of the truck to cut trees (small ones) and limbs off the road to get into town.
It definitely has its limits but I don't use it for big work, I left the MS361 at home.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 8:58:56 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Most recently?  A pair of black locust.  One of which had a section of chain embedded in it.  That's always a delightful surprise.  

If there's a hardwood species native to here, this saw has eaten it.  

View Quote

If you cut two 32" black locust's with a 170....you have more patience than I do

Joking aside, you use the tools you have to get the job done....been there done that many times.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 12:12:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I always wonder that in these saw threads. Then again, all I cut is pine and fir. Sap litterally flying as you cut. My saws all look like a major league baseball bat.
View Quote

Some people like myself will take a pic of something when it is new and never think about it again, here is my Stihl.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 12:50:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Quick detailer makes em look good for a photo shoot!!

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/29/2021 4:25:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

If you cut two 32" black locust's with a 170....you have more patience than I do

Joking aside, you use the tools you have to get the job done....been there done that many times.
View Quote

Well, the one with the chain embedded in it was a pain in the ass for obvious reasons (That tree was also home to a colony of carpenter ants.  Ugh.).  Otherwise, it really wasn't bad.  I just keep my chains sharp and let the saw do all the work.  I think the only real sorcery here is sharp chain and an oiler that actually works.  Normally I keep a couple of freshly sharpened chains with me so I can just swap them out in the field.  And then I just touch up the chains that I used that day once I'm back at the house and cleaning up the saw.  If I'm doing a lot of cutting or I notice that the saw is getting gummed up or not oiling like it should, I'll take a ten minute break, yank the bar and chain, and clean out the saw and bar with a brush, a pick, and a putty knife.  

Sharpening is super fast if you don't run your chains to where they're making sawdust instead of chips. Maybe 3-8 passes per tooth with the file, touch up the rakers as necessary, and you're done.  Sharp chain is where it's at!    I use one of those stamped depth gauges if I'm filing rakers, otherwise it's all freehand.  I think the all-in-one sharpeners with the guides are bullshit.  I'm way faster going freehand, and IMO, I end up with a sharper chain.  Files are Vallorbe rounds, they're Swiss and excellent.  Nicholsons are good too.  Just pop 'em in the handle of your choice.  

Believe me, nobody has probably been more surprised with how good this little 170 is than me.  It's just a bone stock Sthil 170 with a 16" Rollomatic E bar and Stihl chain.  It's been such a delight to use that I have been putting off purchasing more saws, but I think after I knock out a couple of jobs this coming week, I'm going to finally bite the bullet and upgrade.  I need a top handle for more maneuverability up in the canopy.  The 170 is really good up there, but less weight and having a saw that's actually designed for one handed use would be even better.  And then because I want to start taking on bigger jobs, I need a big ol fatdaddy saw.  Decided on the Echo 2511T for the top handle, and big daddy gunboats will be one of the MS660 clone kits.  

Link Posted: 9/29/2021 4:29:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
This thread is so much better than all the doom and gloom threads.
View Quote

@rtlm
If you went out and bought a new chainsaw or used you currertlm nt one it would be even more enjoyable for you.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 4:35:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Well, the one with the chain embedded in it was a pain in the ass for obvious reasons (That tree was also home to a colony of carpenter ants.  Ugh.).  Otherwise, it really wasn't bad.  I just keep my chains sharp and let the saw do all the work.  Normally I keep a couple of freshly sharpened chains with me so I can just swap them out in the field.  And then I just touch up the chains that I used that day once I'm back at the house.  Sharpening is super fast if you don't run your chains to where they're making sawdust instead of chips. Maybe 3-8 passes per tooth with the file, touch up the rakers as necessary, and you're done.  Sharp chain is where it's at!  

Believe me, nobody has probably been more surprised with how good this little 170 is than me.  It's just a bone stock Sthil 170 with a 16" Rollomatic E bar and Stihl chain.  It's been such a delight to use that I have been putting off purchasing more saws, but I think after I knock out a couple of jobs this coming week, I'm going to finally bite the bullet and upgrade.  I need a top handle for more maneuverability up in the canopy.  The 170 is really good up there, but less weight and having a saw that's actually designed for one handed use would be even better.  And then because I want to start taking on bigger jobs, I need a big ol fatdaddy saw.  Decided on the Echo 2511T for the top handle, and big daddy gunboats will be one of the MS660 clone kits.  

View Quote

No doubt that it can be done....and people leave the chain out of the equation way too often.  A sharp chain makes all the difference.  That being said, if I'm cutting up a 32" tree, I'm grabbing one of my big saws (with a sharp chain) not a small one.  

I don't sharpen in the field, I keep plenty of chains on hand and sharpen later.  I bought the Oregon grinding setup and will never go back to hand filing again

Link Posted: 9/29/2021 4:41:09 PM EDT
[#45]
I’ve always loved the 461. I’ve had 5, and I’m getting my first professionally built saw back from a builder tomorrow. I can’t wait!!
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 4:54:26 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

No doubt that it can be done....and people leave the chain out of the equation way too often.  A sharp chain makes all the difference.  That being said, if I'm cutting up a 32" tree, I'm grabbing one of my big saws (with a sharp chain) not a small one.  

I don't sharpen in the field, I keep plenty of chains on hand and sharpen later.  I bought the Oregon grinding setup and will never go back to hand filing again

https://www.oregonproducts.com/medias/image-620-120-Blount-500Wx500H?context=bWFzdGVyfGltYWdlc3wxMDQ0ODl8aW1hZ2UvanBlZ3xpbWFnZXMvaDdlL2gyYi84Nzk3ODM3Mjk1NjQ2LmpwZ3wxZWJlYTIxYWQxZWY4MmQwODIxYjhhMjhmMzFiODgzMjQxNTAzYWJiMGNjNDMxNmFmN2QxNWJjYjBhNGIzYWFl
View Quote

Yes.  Yes they do.  "Why won't my saw cut!?" And then you take a look at their chips, and it's all sawdust.  I think a lot of people really don't have a grasp on how saws work, and how to set them up.  They might pull it out once or twice a year to buck firewood, prune, or clear storm damage, so they ride it hard and then put it up wet.  

I feel like I've learned more making due with the smaller saw, and I like challenges, but yeah, I think it's high time for a bigger saw.

I have considered one of those Oregon grinders, but I know that the second I do that, I'll probably never hand sharpen again...  And then there go my hand sharpening skills out the window.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 4:58:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

What model and how much.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 5:34:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
....it would be an old Husquvarna with a poorly sharpened blade, covered in oil and sawdust, smelling of gasoline, cigs, and Red Rose tea, with my Old Man on the end of it.  He looks up at me with one eye closed and one eye full of woodchips.  His huge smile sticks out because his perfect false teeth do not match the thick, suntanned, and scarred skin he wears from a lifetime of hard Labor for little money.  He found enjoyment from work, because that's all there was.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Thanks for the memories! 4 generations of us now have all been loggers, my Dad passed away 2 years ago and my grandfather passed away 40 years ago, I consider myself lucky to have worked in the log woods with both of them. Now its my 2 sons and myself left carrying on the tradition.
 As to the OP and his thread: my saw I use to stump with every day is a 372XP that Ive rebuilt into a 75cc. I did however spend most of the day today running a 390XP with a 32" Tsumara bar on it since Im in timber that a smaller saw with a shorter bar cant handle. I also cut the 2nd largest tree Ive ever cut today, a tulip poplar with 2740 bdft in it.
Yeah, I know just a little about using a chainsaw lol.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 6:39:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

@rtlm
If you went out and bought a new chainsaw or used you currertlm nt one it would be even more enjoyable for you.
View Quote

Go outside and do something
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 6:51:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

What model and how much.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What model and how much.

I’ve got the Oregon 520….I think it was around $275. We have 2-4 saws cutting firewood every weekend fall/winter…which equals a lot of chains to sharpen. I’d rather spend time with the family than sharpen chain…so the saved time made it worth every penny.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top