Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 4/14/2021 10:44:15 AM EDT
...what would you pick?  (Please post a pic).

I've used the Ontario 499 Air Force Survival Knife since 1992.  It's Old School Cool but I'm wanting something else.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/14/2021 10:45:40 AM EDT
[#1]
tag for interest

thinking though that a Glock FM81 wouldn't be a bad choice though
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 10:46:39 AM EDT
[#2]
As my old man used to say, anything that claims to do it all usually does a poor job of everything. Better off with a few compact tools or a decent knife and a better multitool
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 10:47:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Gerber LMF II ASEK
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 10:48:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Esee PR4

Link Posted: 4/14/2021 10:51:19 AM EDT
[#5]
K-bar.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 10:52:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Ka-Bar BK-7. Street price of $100 or a little less, everyone should own a few. Good knife to stash behind a truck seat or in a UTV.  

Link Posted: 4/14/2021 10:52:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Glock 19 although I hear you can use the barrel of a G34 as a straw.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 10:56:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Why one, in survival, I'm fishing, that means a cheap dexter fillet knife, they are under $30. I don't want to fillet a trout or mackerel with a kabar.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 10:57:54 AM EDT
[#9]
The Blind Horse Knives PLSK2 is perfect for camping hiking. Not sure what you mean by "do it all" but this does everything a fixed blade this size is supposed to do.

The company is now called Battle Horse Knives and they have a similar knife to the PLSK2 called the Highlander.

These are all hand made knives in the USA not machine made in China like the others posted above.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 10:58:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Esee 4. Or something similar.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/14/2021 10:58:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why one, in survival, I'm fishing, that means a cheap dexter fillet knife, they are under $30. I don't want to fillet a trout or mackerel with a kabar.
View Quote

Point taken.  Some knives are specialized and if it's a cheapo you don't mind fucking it up.

But the one you wear on your belt?  What knife would that be?
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 10:58:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 11:07:50 AM EDT
[#13]
I’ll bite.

I have used lots of knives over my life including the USAF bolt knife.

A few production brands stick out to me as having useful knives that might meet your desire.

ESEE 4
KaBar Becker companion
Gerber strong arm
Tops Fieldcraft
Tops HOG

Also I gave a friend of mine a KaBar Mk1 and they used it teaching SERE for four years. Knife still in one piece and works so it may also work for you.

Link Posted: 4/14/2021 11:20:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Tops tracker knife.  Once you learn its uses  it will accomplish pretty much everything thrown at. It doesnt do everything great but it works on every task
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 11:22:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Tops tracker knife.  Once you learn its uses  it will accomplish pretty much everything thrown at. It doesnt do everything great but it works on every task
View Quote
@Aimless
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 11:26:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
@Aimless
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@Aimless

"The Tracker is the scout rifle of survival knives"  -- Aimless (probably)
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 11:27:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

In survival I am not filleting any fish. Gutted and stick through mouth cooked on open fire.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 11:27:27 AM EDT
[#18]
I just bought this knife and it is definitely now my SHTF do it all knife

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 11:29:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
@Aimless
View Quote

What's this about.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 11:32:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Is that the one from The Hunted?  I never handled one, seems gimmicky but I am open minded.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 11:33:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Threads like this one are filled with nothing but pictures of 400 dollar safe queens.  Flash!!  There is no do all knife.  If you want something useful, get a Morakniv, and a decent Leatherman or Gerber tool.  Take the rest of the money and spend it on something useful like maybe an Appleseed shoot.  

Q:  When was the last time you were in combat?

A:  During your last wet dream.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 11:37:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Esse 6

Link Posted: 4/14/2021 11:37:14 AM EDT
[#24]
I used an older Cold Steel Carbon V SRV as an all around knife for a long time before deciding I didn't really need a large knife and switching to a DH Russell Canadian Belt Knife as my pack knife.  You're not going to get instagram points for it on your bushcrafting page but it does most everything you are realistically going to do in the woods.  A cheap Mora will work if you're on a tight budget.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 11:38:09 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Is that the one from The Hunted?  I never handled one, seems gimmicky but I am open minded.
View Quote

I thought that also until I used one. Only real draw back I find is the weight of it but its built like a tank. Its not great in every task as I said but it will accomplish everyone.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 11:39:28 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The Blind Horse Knives PLSK2 is perfect for camping hiking. Not sure what you mean by "do it all" but this does everything a fixed blade this size is supposed to do.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/514647/3EB5E0EE-548C-4C86-88CF-EAFAFD01F946-1901947.jpg

The company is now called Battle Horse Knives and they have a similar knife to the PLSK2 called the Highlander.

These are all hand made knives in the USA not machine made in China like the others posted above.
View Quote

None of the knives posted above yours are made in china. I assume glock is made in Austria, the rest are all USA
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 11:39:29 AM EDT
[#27]
I would avoid anything rebranded with gun company logos.  Almost always cheap garbage.  Hogue brand knives being the exception.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 11:40:25 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Threads like this one are filled with nothing but pictures of 400 dollar safe queens.  Flash!!  There is no do all knife.  If you want something useful, get a Morakniv, and a decent Leatherman or Gerber tool.  Take the rest of the money and spend it on something useful like maybe an Appleseed shoot.  

View Quote

I have talked to people who ran into crazies out in the wild, so there is that.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 11:40:36 AM EDT
[#29]
M9 bayonet, if not actually intending to use it as a bayonet.

Corrosion resistant, has some decent functions, full tang, and decent crossguard, and made in USA.  And it can be a mediocre bayonet if you just have to have one.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 11:41:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 11:43:23 AM EDT
[#31]
ESEE 4 is a very practical general purpose knife. A 'do all' knife probably can't do much at all.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 11:44:23 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
If I Told You I Wanted a Do-All Camping/Survival/Combat Knife...
View Quote

I would assume the OP was Aimless
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 11:45:39 AM EDT
[#33]
This has been on my short list for a while as my end of the world knife.

Morakniv Garberg Full Tang Fixed Blade Knife with Sandvik Stainless Steel Blade
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 11:45:48 AM EDT
[#34]
Esee laser strike

Or

Buck GCK.

Link Posted: 4/14/2021 11:46:17 AM EDT
[#35]
Morah Kansbul or Garberg

Garberg is the pull tang version so probably a bit better as a do all knife, but I’ve got the Kansbul as a lightweight backpacking/hunting knife and have no issues batoning wood, etc with it despite the partial tang.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 11:46:55 AM EDT
[#36]

https://www.topsknives.com/knives/survival/fieldcraft-by-brothers-of-bushcraft-coyote-tan

Very stout knife.  I have been pretty hard on mine, and it has done well.

Link Posted: 4/14/2021 11:47:21 AM EDT
[#37]

What you have to decide is what kind of steel you want. Something that will hold an edge for a while but also something easy to sharpen back up without  fancy sharpening systems . Just a flat stone easy to carry. There's a lot of good knives posted and you want a comfortable handle for chopping. Nothing grooved. 9
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 11:55:04 AM EDT
[#38]
Most any fixed blade will be an improvement over that AF survival knife.  I'd take a Swiss Army knife over one of those.  I had one and nothing about it made me happy.

I have a Bark River Kephart that is my main goto knife for general outdoor cutting.  If I want something bigger I grab my ESEE 6.  If I want a knife bigger than that I grab my ESEE Junglas and then I go to my Becker machete.

I have a big drawer full of other knives, Cold Steel, Bark River, Blackjack, ESEE, Gerber that I could also recommend.  

The Gerber Strongarm is about the same size as the AF knife and a good recommendation.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 11:56:43 AM EDT
[#39]
I bought a Tops Fieldcraft knife for hiking/camping and for the money it is a good knife that I can beat the shit out of.  The only issue I have is that it is 1095 and will rust if you don't take care of it.  

https://www.topsknives.com/fieldcraft-by-brothers-of-bushcraft

ETA: beat in the time it took me to type up the post.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 11:57:20 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 11:58:13 AM EDT
[#41]
Any esee 4 knife

My fav is a KaBar mk 1 though
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 11:59:58 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Point taken.  Some knives are specialized and if it's a cheapo you don't mind fucking it up.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Remember, you have limited space in a survival kit. I can use my kabar mk 1 to clean a fish, then build a shelter
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 12:03:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Most any fixed blade will be an improvement over that AF survival knife.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Most any fixed blade will be an improvement over that AF survival knife.

Fucking America-hating Commie.  

I'd take a Swiss Army knife over one of those.  I had one and nothing about it made me happy.

I have my grandfather's Swiss Army Knife.  Know what function I use the most?  The awl.  That's hard to find on a modern one.  I don't think more than a couple of current models even have the awl, and it's not the same as the one on my knife.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 12:04:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/514647/3EB5E0EE-548C-4C86-88CF-EAFAFD01F946-1901947.jpg

View Quote

That's kind of cool. Clicked on the link to look at the knives. Turns out, they are made in the same city I work in. I might stop in there some time.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 12:07:35 PM EDT
[#45]
One knife would be tough. Probably my Terava Skrama. I could make due with an Esee 4 or Terava Jakaaripukko too though. If I could have 2, Terava Skrama and a Victorinox Farmer.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 12:08:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

You must be quite the badass.

Some people here have been on a two way range. Some people just value the utility of a knife. Some are both.

Link Posted: 4/14/2021 12:08:47 PM EDT
[#47]
ESEE 5 6 gets my vote.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 12:10:41 PM EDT
[#48]
While you are making up your mind on what $$$$ Survival knife to get, grab a few Mora Knifes (different models/colors),
and have fun with them and then eventually forget you were going to spend $$$$ on a fancy surival knife.

Link Posted: 4/14/2021 12:12:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well if it makes you feel better, mine was about $100 and I actually use it so.....

Yeah.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 12:16:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Cold Steel SRK is good enough.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top