Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:18:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I have 3 rooms full of stuff.  Most is military or gun related.  I suppose the oldest would be some of the samurai swords.  Lots of WWI and WWII items.  I still need more.  It is an obsession.

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:19:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have 3 rooms full of stuff.  Most is military or gun related.  I suppose the oldest would be some of the samurai swords.  Lots of WWI and WWII items.  I still need more.  It is an obsession.

https://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/0/2/2/4/6/0/webimg/1075638057_o.jpg
View Quote

oh man I can smell it already just by looking at the picture
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:23:17 PM EDT
[#3]
American Gold and Silver coins, Japanese swords, historic firearms such as flint locks, muscle cars from the 1960's and 70's.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:25:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Purebred dogs.

They are a living historical object, representative of a time, geographical location, culture, and purpose for which they were developed. Learning the history and purpose behind a breed or breed group is fascinating, and the idea that through your own involvement in that breed, you can help preserve that living history for future generations is exciting.

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:25:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The Constitution?
View Quote

Ain’t that the truth
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:35:48 PM EDT
[#6]
My great Aunt and Uncle had an ashtray with a piece of Hitler's hearth imbedded in it.  This was in the late 50's or early 60's.  They weren't Nazis or even politically active, it was just a curiosity or conservation piece.  Here's of picture of what they had:

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:39:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:41:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Things that have a story are some of the best things. Nothing too special about the Soviet army fur cap I have, but the fact my uncle got it from a Russian soldier in Berlin in the early 60s for a couple packs of cigarettes ... and hearing the story directly....makes it personally quite a treasure.

Then there's this....
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:47:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Trinitite
View Quote

Came here to post this.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:01:20 PM EDT
[#10]
I collect a bunch of different things, antique arms and ordnance etc. However, my great passion is old books, primarily Swedish 17th-19th century literature. If you don't limit yourself to Swedish literature, there's a tremendous amount of French and German books available from that era.

I now own three Swedish bibles of Gustav Vasa's edition (1641). They're all missing a few pages, but the combined monetary value is still quite high, about 3-5 thousand USD each.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 6:13:03 PM EDT
[#11]
BTT
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 6:17:21 PM EDT
[#12]
The US Naval Academy is replacing the 90 year-old copper on the chapel dome, and you can buy artifacts made from the copper here:

https://usnachapeldome.com/
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:55:30 PM EDT
[#13]
LawyerUp, you have some very cool items in your collection!
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:01:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:04:42 PM EDT
[#15]
There was a thread on illuminated manuscripts a while ago that was really cool. Some of the stuff was very reasonably priced.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:12:04 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a commie flight clock that I plan on putting in my old truck build.
Tried to buy another one, but it got turned back at customs for being "military equipment".......  A fucking wind up clock.

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:14:01 PM EDT
[#17]
You can buy dinosaur fossils,mastodon ivory,amber,etc. some are just small pieces that can be had for 30ish dollars framed. I dug around on the site for a bit and they had complete t-Rex teeth too but they were like $14000 or some shit.
Same site has all sorts of other stuff too. 3.4Mil for this

https://minimuseum.com/
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:16:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Literally anything that exists that somebody has, that you want. I'm not advocating it, but thievery exists, and it's not just in hollywood that rich people commission thieves to steal some artifact. When I was in Scotland I went to a manor/museum (it was weird because the family still lived there and I saw some old lady chilling behind the public section looking fondly out the window, probably waiting for death), the guide mentioned they had a couple of original paintings by some famous artist stolen, but they were caught and the paintings were in police evidence.

It really does happen.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:22:46 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a piece of tile from the Cavern Club in Liverpool.

I also had some spare parts from the Mars Curiosity rover, but I gave most of them away.

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:26:50 PM EDT
[#20]
shipwreck silver is always cool, i've got several pieces from various sunken ships

but mostly i just buy old food (got any for sale?)

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:35:23 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm a collector. I've got a bunch of cool stuff I've snagged along the way over the years.

Some of my favorites:

Yankees 1927 Yankee's team signed ball with the OG murderer's row and Ruth in the sweet spot

Honus Wagner signed ball (not single signed)

Salvador Dali tapestry (and a shitload of authenticated litho's)

A huge brass nail spike made in Paul Revere's foundry. Recovered from the wreck of the U.S.S. New Hampshire which served 40 years later in the civil war.

Based Stickman's broken stick. It will be historical some day.

Bunch of other rare stuff, mostly wines and hobby devices that only a fellow hobby geek would understand.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:53:17 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a bunch of Weimar Republic paper money.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:03:35 PM EDT
[#23]
There are quite a few WW-2 things that are affordable.  I have a dozen or more canteens, plus other web gear.   You can find papers from the civil war, like memos between officers in the field.  I also have some civil war era silverware.   I used to have a Hogans Heros thermos.  Probably a ton of cool thermoses and lunch boxes.  I assume you don't have a lot of money, or you would be searching out vintage guns and no time for arfcom.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:27:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
LawyerUp, you have some very cool items in your collection!
View Quote

Thanks. A lot of it has been from my father. A hoarder of all things he likes. He once had a machine gun collection of over 100 guns. Sadly almost all of those were sold. He was a doctor in FL and used to meet all sorts of interesting patients who would sell him guns from all over.

This is actually the tip of the iceberg. I'd bet I could fill the museum in the OP. Or close to it.

ETA:I'm at probably 2,500 square ft already
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:33:22 PM EDT
[#25]
This gun room is pretty cool. All contemporary flintlocks and related items. At the home of the head of the contemporary longrifle association.

I took some pics of one particular gun in there that cost like 60k to have built. That statue right there was close to that also, I believe.

He had another room dedicated to WWII and cowboy stuff that he collected with his son. And an entirely other building for the actual antique guns. Still nothing tops being in Reed Knight's gun room. But I've seen some cool stuff.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:34:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

True.  Too bad I can't afford it.
View Quote

It's all faded anway.  Something about the ink transfer process to make duplicates back then faded the sh*t out of the original.  I'd rather have a reproduction (4 sheets).
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:41:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Copper culture spear heads.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:58:43 PM EDT
[#28]
I have a copy of a book about Alvin York, "Last of the Long Hunters", that is autographed by SGT York.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 2:39:27 PM EDT
[#29]
I have two packs of Lucy Strike "Green" cigarettes from my grandfather on my

fireplace mantle.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 2:40:52 PM EDT
[#30]
I'll sell you a rock that's over a million years old!
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 2:42:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Powder/ shot measure I use with my BP shotguns.

Attachment Attached File
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top