Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:50:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Screen saver, domain group policy, yadda yadda yadda.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 2:01:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Can someone explain the SETI thing to me?
View Quote

SETI = Search For Extra Terrestrial Intelligence, if I remember right.

SETI@home was a program you could run on your computer that only did anything when your computer was idle. I forget the details but it would basically work to process data for SETI and their quest to find aliens. I think it analyzed data from radio telescopes?  I could be wrong as I haven’t even thought of this since the 1990s.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 2:35:13 PM EDT
[#3]
We used to use SETI@home for burning in new servers. Could keep them at max CPU utilization for as long as you wanted.  Great stress test for the CPU, power supplies, and cooling.  It did not do much in the way of exercising any locally attached storage.

We ran it for a week on a massive Dell PowerEdge cluster.   This was back around 2002.  We hit the top 100 list at Berkeley for Seti work units processed each day :)
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 2:38:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

SETI = Search For Extra Terrestrial Intelligence, if I remember right.

SETI@home was a program you could run on your computer that only did anything when your computer was idle. I forget the details but it would basically work to process data for SETI and their quest to find aliens. I think it analyzed data from radio telescopes?  I could be wrong as I haven’t even thought of this since the 1990s.
View Quote

Yep.  Essentially, it looked for artificial rf signals during dish movement..  A legit source would look like a bell curve.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 2:39:57 PM EDT
[#5]
There are video cards out there specifically for that purpose. They have NO video output but they can be used to Bit-Mine. Having said that, there was a flood of them on the market at one time because the electricity to Bit-Mine cost more than the return in Bitcoins.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 2:49:07 PM EDT
[#6]
<----Totally ignorant about Bitcoin so I did a little searching.

From WIKI: In December 2020 Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company announced it has purchased $100 million in bitcoin, or roughly 0.04% of its general investment account.
What did they "buy"? Some already "mined" bitcoin? How does it translate into dollars?

Why are incredibly large amounts of power for needed for "mining"?  

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 2:57:58 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm sure this has been going on for a very long time.  With how clueless most people are about computers it would be child's play to do that.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 2:59:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

From WIKI: In December 2020 Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company announced it has purchased $100 million in bitcoin, or roughly 0.04% of its general investment account.
What did they "buy"? Some already "mined" bitcoin? How does it translate into dollars?

View Quote

Yes, already mined mined Bitcoin.  They likely bought it from an exchange and if they wanted to liquidate it they'd have to go back to an exchange and put in one or more sell orders.

I'm sure at that scale, the operators of the exchange would be holding their hand or atleast offering to.

Lots of power is required because its an arms race.  There are only so many Bitcoins coming into creation per hour as is dictated by the protocol itself.  Whichever miners can throw the most computing cycles at mining get the largest share of those Bitcoins so there is a huge incentive for all the miners to constantly throw hardware and energy at the problem as long as its profitable.

The entire Bitcoin network could run on 100 watts if everyone simultaneously agreed to throttle back their mining efforts but thats never going to happen as long as the potential reward is over a million bucks per hour.

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 3:02:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Microstrategy bought 425 million worth back in  the fall sometime.  The have already almost tripled their investment.  I think they bought another 4 or 500 million worth recently.  Michael Saylor is the ceo.  You can look him up on YouTube.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 3:10:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

You were wrong and you decided to make yourself even more wrong with the edit.

It's true you likely won't ever make your money back, but it is possible on most any computer if you feel like heating up a room and wasting some electricity.
View Quote

Okay, then show me CPU or GPU BITCOIN mining software.

I used to mine Ethereum, and I mined it because every actual Bitcoin miner that I could find had CPU/GPU mining disabled.  Ethereum and the other alt-coins still allowed GPU mining.

Maybe I am wrong, but I wouldn't be wrong enough to be laughed at, since I actually have done several months worth of mining myself.  I searched for a long time for a Bitcoin miner that would work with my computer with zero success, so please show me where I am wrong.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 3:15:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Yes it can  be done EASILY.  You can deploy the  mining software to all 5,000 desktops(or whatever). And have it run the software automatically between certain hours.  But cpu mining is dead.

But when the electricity bill suddenly jumps huge outside of office hours, people will try and figure things out.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 3:17:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I used to mine Ethereum, and I mined it because every actual Bitcoin miner that I could find had CPU/GPU mining disabled.  Ethereum and the other alt-coins still allowed GPU mining.

Maybe I am wrong, but I wouldn't be wrong enough to be laughed at, since I actually have done several months worth of mining myself.  I searched for a long time for a bitcoin miner that would work with my computer, so please show me where I am wrong.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's true you likely won't ever make your money back, but it is possible on most any computer if you feel like heating up a room and wasting some electricity.

Maybe I am wrong, but I wouldn't be wrong enough to be laughed at, since I actually have done several months worth of mining myself.  I searched for a long time for a bitcoin miner that would work with my computer, so please show me where I am wrong.

Yes, you are correct.  You wouldn't actually be mining BTC.  Nowadays that is only done with ASICs.  There is definitely mining programs out there that will let you mine alts and directly convert them to BTC though.  Like I posted earlier, the mass media doesn't know the difference.  They should have said "200 of his employers computers to mine cryptocurrency".
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 3:20:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Yes it can  be done EASILY.  You can deploy the  mining software to all 5,000 desktops(or whatever). And have it run the software automatically between certain hours.  But cpu mining is dead.

But when the electricity bill suddenly jumps huge outside of office hours, people will try and figure things out.
View Quote

Tell that to my 3950x that makes about $1 a day mining Monero.  There will always be alts that can be mined with CPUs and GPUs.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 3:20:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Maybe I am wrong, but I wouldn't be wrong enough to be laughed at, since I actually have done several months worth of mining myself.  I searched for a long time for a Bitcoin miner that would work with my computer with zero success, so please show me where I am wrong.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are right.  But you can mine alt coins and trade for bitcoin.

I mine Ethereum on my desktop. Figured why the hell not. Just got my first payment for my first week. Not hooker and blow money. But it is something.
https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Ethereum-Crypto-Mining/5-2412926/
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 3:20:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yes, you are correct.  You wouldn't actually be mining BTC.  Nowadays that is only done with ASICs.  There is definitely mining programs out there that will let you mine alts and directly convert them to BTC though.  Like I posted earlier, the mass media doesn't know the difference.  They should have said "200 of his employers computers to mine cryptocurrency".
View Quote

Thank you and agreed
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 3:22:19 PM EDT
[#16]
In some environments, yes.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 3:26:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Thank you and agreed
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you and agreed

99% of the population has no idea what we are talking about anyway.  It truly is like the internet in the mid 90's right now.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 3:30:10 PM EDT
[#18]
I heard about this guy who rigged up a mine in the phone /utility room of an industrial complex once and it ran for like 2 years.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 3:31:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I heard about this guy who rigged up a mine in the phone /utility room of an industrial complex once and it ran for like 2 years.
View Quote

If he did that back from 2010 - 2012 then he is definitely retired now.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 3:32:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Tell that to my 3950x that makes about $1 a day mining Monero.  There will always be alts that can be mined with CPUs and GPUs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well.. I am sure you are mining Monero. But lets do some simple math here.

Average kWh in PA is 12.75 cents
3950X uses roughly 270 watts at full load by itself

Attachment Attached File

So that leaves you a profit of 0.18 cents per day. $1.26 a week. $5.04 per month.

Once you factor in the power for the rest of the PC and that the sales brochure for power usage on the cpu is probably low balled like a mofo.. You are paying to mine. And that isn't even getting into the wear and tear aspect of things.

But for all I know you get free electricity in your moms basement. In that case, mine on brother!  
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 3:39:33 PM EDT
[#21]
If I were going to do something like this at a company, the easiest way would be to use the Nicehash service. It will full bore mine GPU and CPU whatever coin people pay you to mine. And you get paid in Bitcoin.  Automagicly.  

I actually just started testing it out today to see how it goes for a week. GPU only though because I pay for electricity.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 3:47:45 PM EDT
[#22]
When Bitcoin first became "a thing" (ie, when I first saw the word on slashdot) I suggested to the college admins that over our winter break (~2 weeks) we use our labs (about 4k computers total) to crunch out a few coins or lease out the facilities to someone else to let them crunch coins.

Considering we're down almost a million on our revenue for the budget year (jul1->jun30) I probably shouldn't remind the CFO about this ....
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 3:49:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Hypothetically I might have considered doing this at the hospital I work at. Just hide a rig in the drop ceiling.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 3:50:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/327887/brave_1lfIrRKj6l_jpg-1782053.JPG

So that leaves you a profit of 0.18 cents per day. $1.26 a week. $5.04 per month.

Once you factor in the power for the rest of the PC and that the sales brochure for power usage on the cpu is probably low balled like a mofo.. You are paying to mine. And that isn't even getting into the wear and tear aspect of things.

But for all I know you get free electricity in your moms basement. In that case, mine on brother!  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

With that logic, it wouldn't have been cost effective to mine BTC back in 2010 when it was only worth fractions of a cent and you were getting a couple coins a day.  But if they HODL'd for a couple 5 years they are retired now.  I've been mining for about 4 years or so with up to 5  8 card rigs rigs at one point.  1070ti's used to be cash cows.  So far I've never lost money holding.  I don't go by the price today but the future possible price.  Yes it's gambling but it is better odds than AC.

Profitability is a relative term.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 3:52:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

With that logic, it wouldn't have been cost effective to mine BTC back in 2010 when it was only worth fractions of a cent and you were getting a couple coins a day.  But if they HODL'd for a couple 5 years they are retired now.  I've been mining for about 4 years or so with up to 5  8 card rigs rigs at one point.  1070ti's used to be cash cows.  So far I've never lost money holding.  I don't go by the price today but the future possible price.  Yes it's gambling but it is better odds than AC.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very true.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 3:57:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Very true.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very true.

If you want see some cool shit, go back to the very first pages of Bitcointalk.  Where they are talking about how many coins they get in a day and are swapping their coins for pennys.  That will really make you kick yourself in the ass for not starting sooner.  I know i do.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:02:40 PM EDT
[#27]

MINING IS NOT PROFITIBLE
March 01, 2011, 07:21:31 AM

"I listened to all of these stupid projections on here and spent thousands of dollars on high end ATI graphics cards and computer systems to house them in.  Thus far I have gotten back only pennies on the dollar and now the difficulty is twice as hard and increasing every week!  The price of Bitcoins is plummeting.  I have lost everything.  The car, the house, the wife, the kids.  I think the people hyping this whole thing own stock in ATI and are doing this just to get people to buy the cards and make money for themselves.  They don't care about the little guy. "

Mind you that this was the average price of 1 BTC was $1.  It's all relative.  The guy was probably getting a couple of coins a day.  Now look at that in a 2021 perspective.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:02:59 PM EDT
[#28]
I had five Antminer S9s mining Bitcoin 24/7 in my basement back when it was $4,700 in 2017 and 2018. The noise and heat regulation drove me nuts even though I was mining a lot of coins. It literally heated the whole house in the winter though lol. Sold the farm at a good profit. With the difficulty increases I doubt it is profitable to mine any more. I bought additional Antminers for Etherium and Siacoin but sold those too.

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:07:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I had five Antminer S9s mining Bitcoin 24/7 in my basement back when it was $4,700 in 2017 and 2018. The noise and heat regulation drove me nuts even though I was mining a lot of coins. It literally heated the whole house in the winter though lol. Sold the farm at a good profit. With the difficulty increases I doubt it is profitable to mine any more. I bought additional Antminers for Etherium and Siacoin but sold those too.

https://i.imgur.com/BCcelQa.jpg
View Quote

Nice racks, i use those myself and I like the color coded ethernet cables as well.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:19:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Mining porn, and the guy has a really good channel for anyone that is interested.
40k SUB & Community Mining Rig Showcase EPISODE 100 GIVEAWAY! LIVE STREAM!
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:08:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I've heard this, but I've also heard that video cards are completely sold out again because of cryptomining.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I could do it with about an hour of work, over a thousand computers

Bitcoin mining isn’t worth it anymore tho

200 computers?  Lol

I've heard this, but I've also heard that video cards are completely sold out again because of cryptomining.

No, because of MSFS2020.

And the 3080 series is just unobtainium
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:12:54 PM EDT
[#32]
To this day, I still don't understand why cryptocurrencies have any value.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:16:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I could do it with about an hour of work, over a thousand computers

Bitcoin mining isn’t worth it anymore tho

200 computers?  Lol

Graphics cards aren't good for Bitcoin, but other cryptos can still be mined with them.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:22:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Quite a few people have gotten in trouble for mining on employer or gov systems.  My favorite one was the russian scientists mining on a super computer cluster in Siberia or someplace like that.

Nicehash has enabled me to buy a new top end gaming PC every year for a few years now.  And the PCs keep paying for themselves (at least during cold weather - during the summer miners get turned off).

The problem right now is getting new graphics cards at a reasonable price.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:22:24 PM EDT
[#35]
I had a University customer who discovered someone with authorized access to their servers was mining the shit out of some BTC. They discovered it because the power and cooling in one or more server racks had gone insane. If you're gonna do shenanigans, you need to fly under the radar.

I think the left learned that in GA. They did a better job smoothing the data in the runoffs than they did in the general election.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:47:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Yes, already mined mined Bitcoin.  They likely bought it from an exchange and if they wanted to liquidate it they'd have to go back to an exchange and put in one or more sell orders.

I'm sure at that scale, the operators of the exchange would be holding their hand or atleast offering to.

Lots of power is required because its an arms race.  There are only so many Bitcoins coming into creation per hour as is dictated by the protocol itself.  Whichever miners can throw the most computing cycles at mining get the largest share of those Bitcoins so there is a huge incentive for all the miners to constantly throw hardware and energy at the problem as long as its profitable.

The entire Bitcoin network could run on 100 watts if everyone simultaneously agreed to throttle back their mining efforts but thats never going to happen as long as the potential reward is over a million bucks per hour.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the great explanation.

By coincidence, Friday I spoke to a friend I hadn't since last March. He mentioned a guy in my old electric shop who did a side job wiring a ton of mining equipment in someone's home.  
@woodsie
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:54:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
CPU mining went out a while ago.

Now the only miners that can make any ground are specialized ASICs and clusters of GPUs, and even then you need an industrial scale to make any real money.
View Quote

And sell the waste heat in a place where it can be used to keep a greenhouse, etc warm in winter.

My concept for crypto is to mine at a place with cheap land/solar/wind where there is no electric transmission grid outbound.

That way, you don’t need to move joules, just bits.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 2:49:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/BCcelQa.jpg
View Quote
IF you were using electric heat anyway, putting one of those things in the chain to create heat from electricity might help make it more efficient.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 5:34:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
IF you were using electric heat anyway, putting one of those things in the chain to create heat from electricity might help make it more efficient.
View Quote
Yeah but my better half was definitely not loving the noise. There was a constant loud hum like a bee swarm, and we are talking 24/7.

Mining $6k a month hands off and she was like, yeah, that's too loud and hot
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:36:32 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
To this day, I still don't understand why cryptocurrencies have any value.
View Quote

There are 2 main reasons why. First, it requires actual, verifiable work to generate (mine) to coin. The fed can’t just press a button and create Bitcoins, and if they tried and succeeded the proof would be in the blockchain.
Second is the reason any money has value; because people believe and agree that it does.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:48:51 AM EDT
[#41]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top