Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/5/2018 11:37:10 PM EDT
I needed to look into the details of ISO 27001/27005 recently. Dang, but they're proud of their information. $209 to $599 just for a copy of compliance standards. Ouch.

I could see it if they had something confidential or proprietary, but no - these are IT security standards.

Then again, I grew up a country kid who still thinks it's weird to pay for water in bottles and can't grasp the concept of paying for parking, so maybe it's just me.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 2:21:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I needed to look into the details of ISO 27001/27005 recently. Dang, but they're proud of their information. $209 to $599 just for a copy of compliance standards. Ouch.

I could see it if they had something confidential or proprietary, but no - these are IT security standards.

Then again, I grew up a country kid who still thinks it's weird to pay for water in bottles and can't grasp the concept of paying for parking, so maybe it's just me.
View Quote

The cash cow on charging for shit like that is coming to an end one segment at a time.  At least it is in the information technology sector.

Anything of mission critical importance is standardized through the IETF, and those specifications (RFCs) are always free to get.

In other news, put a fork in MPEG because it's as good as dead.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 5:28:55 PM EDT
[#2]
It gets really interesting when governments adopt codes & practices created by private entities. It's the law, but you can't get your own copy of it (or even sometimes legal access) without paying the private company that created it.

Hmm... I wonder if my local library system has the ISO standards in their collection...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top