Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/18/2021 4:03:39 PM EDT
Any of you guys playing this one?  I know we have some DCS guys in here, and some World of Tank guys.

I got into it cause they added Tank Crew, so you can run around in a Tank!  I was wanting some kind of single player tank game, and this is it!  Plus, you can take it online as well. It's been pretty fun.  And of course, IL-2 as a flight sim has always been pretty good with the focus on realism.  I guess it's been getting steady graphics overhauls, so if you can run it at full graphics, especially with the 4K textures, it looks pretty dang amazing!

(I also want to get into Post Scriptum and/or Hell Let Loose, primarily for the Tank side of things, but my ancient PC won't run them.  It'll run IL-2 OK.  Plan is to upgrade the Rig here to VR capability in the next couple of months.)

I run it with TrackIR and my X-55 Rhino HOTAS.

I did hop onto multiplayer one night.  But dang, with no modern day game HUD pointing everyone out, I couldn't figure out where anyone was at!  Having to pull up a real map and navigate....pashaw!

But if any of you do play it, post up your game name here.  (I don't have mine setup yet, so currently I'm PlayerXXXXX or whatever random number it assigned me.  But I'll hopefully be Kamicosmos soon.)
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 6:43:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I Have IL-2 but haven't played in a long time. Guess I'll have to dust it off and see what the tank stuff is about.

I have played Post Scriptum recently. I don't last very long. Graphics are awesome. For something kind of different watch some YouTube videos of PS uploaded by Germans that also includes their in-game audio.

So if you like PS you might try Red Orchestra 2. It's a little easier.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 7:10:22 PM EDT
[#2]
from time to time. But I am too good for that game. Everytime I go on the wings of liberty server I make a massacre
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 8:07:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I Have IL-2 but haven't played in a long time. Guess I'll have to dust it off and see what the tank stuff is about.

I have played Post Scriptum recently. I don't last very long. Graphics are awesome. For something kind of different watch some YouTube videos of PS uploaded by Germans that also includes their in-game audio.

So if you like PS you might try Red Orchestra 2. It's a little easier.
View Quote

That's how I found Post Scriptum, Watching Vade's videos!  He is extremely good at it!  And, it's just a bit unsettling hearing a german crew operating a Tiger against Shermans, ya know?

The Tank Crew DLC for IL-2 is a paid module.  And it's like 80 bucks!  When I discovered this a month-ish ago, I was lucky that Steam was having a sale, so I got it for 50 I think, and steam required the original base game for it, which was only $7 at the time.  So definitely wait for a sale!  But it is very cool, and I can't wait to both fly and drive a tank in VR!  (The trackIR is awesome, but just not the same as the 1:1 scale, full 360 of VR!)
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 8:09:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
from time to time. But I am too good for that game. Everytime I go on the wings of liberty server I make a massacre
View Quote

Nice!  I hopped on the Finnish server, and was not even sure if I was in a grid square anywhere near the battle!  But I drove around for like 30 minutes before, uh....maybe sorta missing a bridge and falling into a river and drowning my whole crew.  Oops.  
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 8:09:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Are there any dynamic co-op campaigns for IL-2 yet?
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 11:58:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Are there any dynamic co-op campaigns for IL-2 yet?
View Quote

Dynamic, I don't think so. I think the official campaigns are just scripted, kind of old school from what I've read.  Co-Op, other than having wingmen and/or crew members, I don't know. (And the multiplayer would be co-op, being team based.  Not sure how squads work, or if you just have to use like Discord and know people. I don't know if the campaigns support multiplayer or not, I'll look into that.

I know the AI in the Tank Crew is very basic, and not much of a threat to even my very inefficient noobie self.  Kind of hoping for an update on that.  But I haven't cranked the difficulty up yet to see how good it can get.

There are quick mission builders, and a full mission builder and the community has made their own campaigns, there could be co-op and maybe better AI there?  I think the Aircraft AI is better, but, again, I haven't gotten brave enough to push the difficulty up yet on air missions.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:58:40 PM EDT
[#7]
I picked up Battle of Bodenplatte and the FW190 D-9 Dora collector plane.  Bodenplatte has a lot of nice late war stuff: P51D, P47D, Spit 9, Tempest, ME262, FW190 A8.  Couple more late model 109 variants.

The Dora is very nice.  And you can take up rockets that fire in salvos to take down bombers!  That's pretty fun.

I made a little video of that:

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top