Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2023 8:31:10 AM EDT
I'm not having much luck figuring out the age of this bottle.

Thought I might ask here in hopes one of you have run across this before and might have insight.

Belongs to a friend.  He wanted to open and I told him it has some value.  Now he's on hold until I figure this out.

Any help is awesome.  Pics below.Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 9:02:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Maybe contact this shop?

Lots of hits on Google for specialty shops / auction sites selling examples.  It's credited to Pappy Van Winkle (distiller).
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 9:26:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Maybe contact this shop?

Lots of hits on Google for specialty shops / auction sites selling examples.  It's credited to Pappy Van Winkle (distiller).
View Quote

Its a Stitzel Weller distillery product. I know that.

I haven't been able to find an exact example online.  Bottles from the 70's are round and the labeling is different. I know this bottle predates 1972 because it still carries the Stitzel Weller distillery on the label.

I'm going to contact 2 auction sites, but wanted to see if I could gather info to compare it to what they tell me.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 1:16:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I’ll ask on a local board for you and see what I can find.

Can you get a picture of the bottom of the bottle please and any additional information on the tax strip (series info if available)? @rob78

Eta: prelim info puts the bottle anywhere from 61-77 based on the strip but if you can get those pics, may be able to narrow down further
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 7:04:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I’ll ask on a local board for you and see what I can find.

Can you get a picture of the bottom of the bottle please and any additional information on the tax strip (series info if available)? @rob78

Eta: prelim info puts the bottle anywhere from 61-77 based on the strip but if you can get those pics, may be able to narrow down further
View Quote

I'll get all the pics I can.  Here are some more:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 7:06:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 7:20:19 PM EDT
[#6]
That tax stamp (red paper) is from the 60’s IIRC.

Because it’s Weller, it might be worth a little…if you can find a buyer. I’d personally drink it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 9:01:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
That tax stamp (red paper) is from the 60’s IIRC.

Because it’s Weller, it might be worth a little…if you can find a buyer. I’d personally drink it.
View Quote

There are bottles from the 70s that sold for a couple grand to $7k.  It's worth something. It's not mine to drink, the owner will probably sell it.  Just needs as much info as possible before reaching out to brokers/resellers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top