Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Posted: 2/15/2023 3:20:07 PM EDT
We have 2 weimaraners.  Both are chipped.  The county is setting up a new online licensing program so I've entered both the critters into the county system.  As part of that I entered both of their chip no's.  They are through different services.  A few days later I get two emails from 24petfinder wanting me to verify my account.  Went to their website, both dogs show up with their chip numbers.  It's telling me I have several plans from which to choose - starting at $50/mo per critter.

So, I'm confused.  I thought chipped meant chipped, someone finds dog, scans for chip, chip id's owner from a registry.  I don't recall anyone ever saying anything about $50/month/dog for having my dogs chipped.  Is this a scam or are they trying to sell me some other insurance plan.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 3:26:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By johnh57:
We have 2 weimaraners.  Both are chipped.  The county is setting up a new online licensing program so I've entered both the critters into the county system.  As part of that I entered both of their chip no's.  They are through different services.  A few days later I get two emails from 24petfinder wanting me to verify my account.  Went to their website, both dogs show up with their chip numbers.  It's telling me I have several plans from which to choose - starting at $50/mo per critter.

So, I'm confused.  I thought chipped meant chipped, someone finds dog, scans for chip, chip id's owner from a registry.  I don't recall anyone ever saying anything about $50/month/dog for having my dogs chipped.  Is this a scam or are they trying to sell me some other insurance plan.
View Quote

From my understanding of chipping is that there's no standardized system.  I looked into it, but my breeder gave me some food for thought and I decided against chipping.  First, there are several chips out there, not every vet office is setup to scan chips they don't use.  Second, chips migrate.  A chip inserted in the scruff can migrate , could move around to the chest.  So when a vet scans it may appear that the dog isn't chipped. Third, what if the dog's immune system rejects the chip?  Fourth, yeah some charge a lot of money for this imperfect system.
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 11:21:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MarkBinSC] [#2]
Our dog is chipped. We paid a one time fee to get it registered. I think it was 25 or 50 bucks.

I’ve never heard of a service that had a monthly fee for chips.

Some of the GPS trackers have monthly charge.

Edited to add cost for the registration
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 11:50:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I paid a fee when I had Rosie chipped. I think it was close to $100

We adopted Jäger from a shelter, he was chipped when we got him.  They gave us what we needed to change the contact information from them to us which I did last fall.

Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top