User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 1/21/2021 10:55:35 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:57:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:57:39 AM EDT
[#2]
I liked it well enough. The programming must be taking hold.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:58:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I didn't bother watching it in the theatre, because I heard it was bad and was loaded with SJW/feminist bullshit, instead of the typical fun superhero story.

But now that I have seen it, I think that criticism is way overblown.  Sure, there was some "you go girl!" type stuff, but I didn't see it as really interfering with the story or ruining the experience for me.  It certainly didn't seem to be at the expense of tearing down other groups (like men), and it didn't seem mean-spirited.  It certainly wasn't ANYTHING like the total Mary Sue shitshow that was The Last Jedi.  Now, Brie Larson might be a gigantic bitch in real life (I have no idea), but I thought she did a perfectly acceptable job as an actress, and I thought it was a decent and entertaining superhero movie.

I had fun watching it, and that's all I really expect from a Marvel franchise superhero movie.  Not the greatest movie among the Marvel movies, but a decent solid superhero movie.
View Quote

SJW crap and a wooden actress.  I like what one of the guys on youtube was calling her "Plank."   I thought it was a crappy movie w/ a Mary Sue character.

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:59:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I didn't bother watching it in the theatre, because I heard it was bad and was loaded with SJW/feminist bullshit, instead of the typical fun superhero story.

But now that I have seen it, I think that criticism is way overblown.  Sure, there was some "you go girl!" type stuff, but I didn't see it as really interfering with the story or ruining the experience for me.  It certainly didn't seem to be at the expense of tearing down other groups (like men), and it didn't seem mean-spirited.  It certainly wasn't ANYTHING like the total Mary Sue shitshow that was The Last Jedi.  Now, Brie Larson might be a gigantic bitch in real life (I have no idea), but I thought she did a perfectly acceptable job as an actress, and I thought it was a decent and entertaining superhero movie.

I had fun watching it, and that's all I really expect from a Marvel franchise superhero movie.  Not the greatest movie among the Marvel movies, but a decent solid superhero movie.  

View Quote

I missed the first 15 minutes of the start and by the time I started watching she was already kicking alien ass and doing magical things. I heard the same things but no thanks, I turned the channel and watched a re-run.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:59:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Her "acting" was absolutely terrible.
View Quote

She has all the acting range of a cinder block.

You know she’s awful when people here said “who is Brie Larson?” I would respond with “the woman in Kong: Skull Island,” and people who had seen Kong: Skull Island said quizzically, “there was a woman in Kong: Skull Island?”
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:59:35 AM EDT
[#6]
I watched it a few months ago. It was decent. However I’m glad that I didn’t see it in a theater.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:00:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:01:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

This....I laughed that they kept telling her to control her emotions, yet her face was basically emotionless the whole movie.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:01:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep, frequently through the show you are pulled out of the story and reminded that this is a horrible actress.  It really hurts the show.

The SJW stuff wasn't bad, the acting was.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:02:13 AM EDT
[#10]
I don't think it was the movie, the actress said there were too many white men watching her movies

Therefore, I decided to help her with that
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:02:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Naaaaah...it'll be fine.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:02:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Not free.  Didn't watch.

When I was a child, Capt. Marvel was a male in a  red jumpsuit with a yellow lightning bolt across his chest.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:03:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Rewriting the Skrulls as space Mexicans victimized by the MAGA Kree was BS
View Quote

The Penguin gets it.

If you are not a comic nerd though you wouldn’t know.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:03:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Comic books and comic book movies are for children
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:03:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Captain Resting Bitch-Face
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:04:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Space Mexican's
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:05:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Shitty movie imo.  And not because it was full of sjw femimist bullshit or because the lead character is a raging twat but because the acting was terrible, the story was garbage and the action was pathetic.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:05:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Comic book movies are waaaaay overdone.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:05:46 AM EDT
[#19]
It's better than a sharp stick in the eye.  

Otherwise, it falls on the low end of the Marvel spectrum for me.  Not a great movie.  The SJW stuff wasn't too bad.  She's not a great actress and the character is so OP'd that it isn't very compelling.  I have no desire to watch it again.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:06:48 AM EDT
[#20]
As someone who read and collected comics for most of the 80's and 90's I'm just about done with superhero flicks.  I've pretty much stopped watching them.   I'll watch a new Batman movie since I love the character but that is about it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:07:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

She is one of the worst actors in Hollywood.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:09:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Not free.  Didn't watch.

When I was a child, Capt. Marvel was a male in a  red jumpsuit with a yellow lightning bolt across his chest.
http://www.brooklyncomicshop.com/BCS/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/Shazam-Captain-Marvel-3-Brooklyn-Comic-Shop.jpg
View Quote

That was DC's version. Captain Marvel at that time already existed as well, but had a very different storyline. DC's had magic, Marvels was a mysterious space parasite that essentially chose a new host every now and then. The idea of a woman version was no big deal because it had been done a dozen times in the comics, starting pretty early. The issue with clunky writing and bad acting was the real problem here.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:11:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

She is one of the worst actors in Hollywood.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:13:35 AM EDT
[#24]
For me, I know these movies are BS so I just enjoy them for a moving comic book. I can pretty much ignore the sjw stuff with out even thinking about it, I see it but just ignore it.

Bad acting is pretty much the same thing. I guess I watched too much old tv when the acting was horrible so even new stuff with bad acting is better.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:13:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:14:52 AM EDT
[#26]
OP is correct.

However, fuck Brie Larsen.

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:15:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Her tits are fantastic, though.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:16:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:16:38 AM EDT
[#29]
It was on FXX (or something like that) and I turned it on. I tuned in wanting to give it a try but the "action" scene that was in play was difficult to watch. Whatever the actresses name is looked completely mismatched when it came to action movie acting. I had to turn it off.

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:16:43 AM EDT
[#30]
I saw the movie for free at a theater because I have a connection that lets me see lots of movies for free.  It was not  a good movie.

Bad writing acting and relied only on special effects.  Rinse repeat plot lines.  Chosen one, mysterious past, must find inner strength, becomes more powerful than all teachers instantly, defeats the evil.  Rinse repeat.  

To be honest most marvel movies are not good.  I love Iron Man 1, the first couple of Cap America are ok, and Thor Rag, is pretty good and funny but kind of a different recipe.    Guardian of the Galaxy are also pretty good.  Other than that the rest are pretty ok to relatively bad, and I don’t have the desire to watch them again.   The Avenger series are way overrated.  They are a circle jerk of special effects and your favorite heros all in one, But from a film making , writing, acting etc. standpoint they’re kind of a hot mess.  If you take out the charm between Tony Stark and the young Spiderman that new franchise  is pretty blah too.  Deadpool was fun and different.  Deadpool 2 fell into the same problem most sequels do — take the charm uniqueness and fun of the first movie and totally overdo it to the point of ruining it.  

They are all watchable don’t get me wrong, but saying they are great complete fulfilling movies and storytelling..... ehhh.   So then on some of the more recent ones you throw a bunch of SJW stuff in there........it doesn’t help.

Captain Marvel wasn’t as bad, or SJW as the pushback at the time.  The problem is, Brea, the other actors, the director and producers could not keep their mouths shut.  The other actors didn’t even like Brea.  It’s noticeable on and off screen.  They almost literally told people “if you’re a white man, we don’t want you to go see this movie. “.   When the bad reviews came out, like many things these days, the creators used identity politics as an ideological shield  from criticism.  Fuck them, fuck her, fuck it.  Same thing happened to the Ghostbusters remake with Karens.  I still haven’t seen that movie.  

Captain Marvel represents what’s wrong with movies in general now, what’s wrong with Disney, and what wrong with Marvels future all rolled in to one.  Because of that movie and some of the other things surrounding some other Disney BS, I’m pretty much burned out on marvel as well as the political bent.  I’m not boycotting them because boycotting Hollywood would mean I wouldn’t see any movies.

I would just say that I can’t imagine anything coming out of Disney Studios associated with the Marvel universe that could possibly get me excited at this point.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:19:00 AM EDT
[#31]
I haven't seen it, and I can't say that I ever will.  I might, if it happens to be on when nothing else is on, and I'm burned out on surfing the internet, and have already taken all the useful baths I can take for one day.  I'm just tired of all the "Hey, here's another golden goose we haven't fleeced yet!" way that the entertainment industry is treating original literature from the last century.  Some shit just does NOT need to be made in to a new, vibrant, woke motion picture.  

They need to get back to telling stories that haven't been told yet, instead of more "Oh, gee, plucky hero raised up from nobody to be somebody fights off monsters and madmen, overcoming unbelievable odds, underdog of the century, whatever will he/she/it do?" bullshit.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:19:37 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:20:08 AM EDT
[#33]
I enjoyed it.   The SJW claims were overblown imo
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:20:33 AM EDT
[#34]
I think most of the backlash against the movie was due to her attitude during the press tours.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:22:33 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I think most of the backlash against the movie was due to her attitude during the press tours.
View Quote

Yes this is correct.  Even her fellow actors on and off screen were off about it and Brea.  The movie was still completely forgettable.

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:22:59 AM EDT
[#36]
Did you happen to notice how she defeated the bad guy at the beginning and again at the end without much trouble? Ya... that's poor storytelling. Just like Rey.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:24:04 AM EDT
[#37]

I too plan to write favourable reviews on acceptable Biden culture pieces so that my searchable content shows I am not a suitable candidate for re-education camps.

Prost.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:24:40 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:24:45 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I don't think it was the movie, the actress said there were too many white men watching her movies

Therefore, I decided to help her with that
View Quote

She's got a 'resting karen face'  pretty much the whole time
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:25:27 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

The entire military base portion of the movie makes no actual sense logically.

But it was ok other than that.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:26:17 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Naaaaah...it'll be fine.
View Quote

Go away nao
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:27:39 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I heard the Mary Sue criticism and was looking for it, and I honestly am not really seeing it.

She gets her ass kicked during training, and is criticized for not being able to control herself.
She fails completely at the first mission, and actually gets captured and interrogated.
After arriving on Earth she chases a bad guy, and completely fails to kick his ass or capture him, and he just gets away.
Throughout most of the movie she is riddled with self-doubt, and lacks confidence.
As she discovers what is really going on, she realizes that she has been totally duped, and the people she thought were her allies and friends were just manipulating her.

So there's a long list of failures and shortcomings, which is not characteristic of a Mary Sue at all, imo.

... then sure, at the end, she becomes this super-powerful hero, who can effortlessly kick ass, but that's not an uncommon story arc (and personal journey) in a super-hero story line.

I mean, if you compare that to the Last Jedi - as an example of a ridiculous Mary Sue - I honestly wouldn't describe the character as a Mary Sue.
View Quote

Part of people's issue were more around what was happening outside of the movie. When this was coming out, they were rushing for her to be the ultimate hero of the entire universe and to be able to fight against thanos despite the movie only popping up a few months before the conclusion of the decade long story arch. The other issue was the press around marvel saying that she was the backbone of the entire future of the marvel universe before anyone had seen the movie yet. At the end of the day though, the captain marvel character in marvel comics had the same issue as wonder woman in the dc comics. Unexplained convenient powers popping up when needed to do whatever needed to be done. Captain marvel was one of the least popular marvel comics and characters long before this movie.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:29:00 AM EDT
[#43]
Annette Bening was quite GILFy

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:31:44 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

You know she’s awful when people here said “who is Brie Larson?” I would respond with “the woman in Kong: Skull Island,” and people who had seen Kong: Skull Island said quizzically, “there was a woman in Kong: Skull Island?”
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who the fuck are you to disparage all the accomplished cinder blocks out there!?
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:32:18 AM EDT
[#45]
It was meh.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:32:25 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:32:38 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Naaaaah...it'll be fine.
View Quote

lol

F__ O__ movie!
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:33:36 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Who the fuck are you to disparage all the accomplished cinder blocks out there!?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:37:57 AM EDT
[#49]
One other problem I had with the movie is that it really didn't help the overall plot.  The only thing that she did was help Tony get back to Earth after the SNAP.  She did distract Thanos for a second before she got power stone punched in the face but that could have and should have been Thor in my opinion.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:39:36 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

lmao
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top