Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 7/21/2021 8:07:41 PM EDT
I used to think drinking during the day was a terrible idea. Mainly because when I was younger I had a very hard time regulating the amount of booze I drank, and I always ended up having too much.

Now, I find that 2 cocktails around lunch hour is quite nice. It's enough for a little "head change" but not so much that you start noticing that awful "coming down" feeling.

I also find that if I have a couple drinks (4-6oz of 80 proof, for example), I am actually MORE focused.

Of course, like a lot of places work does not allow us to drink during our workday.

My go-tos during the day are some kind of cheap American beer (I'm an unsophisticated slob, don't judge me) if I am having it with lunch, or if I'm not eating, I like a gin/tonic or a Tom Collins.

I was wrong about drinking during the day, and I am sorry.

Link Posted: 7/21/2021 8:08:54 PM EDT
[#1]
its still a terrible idea, you're just drunk like I am
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 8:12:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 8:14:22 PM EDT
[#3]
In.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 8:19:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I drink all day too.  Mostly water though.  

I'll go be poor somewhere else.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 8:21:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Having a drink in the middle of the day kills my motivation for most of the rest of the day, I figured that out early.

I rarely drink anyway, but when I do, it's after the work is done, no point in ruining a whole day by getting lazy halfway through it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 8:22:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

2 cocktails hardly makes me "drunk".....

If you're 110 pounds, YMMV.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 8:23:18 PM EDT
[#7]
I dont miss drinking, but I do miss day drinking.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 8:23:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Having a drink in the middle of the day kills my motivation for most of the rest of the day, I figured that out early.

I rarely drink anyway, but when I do, it's after the work is done, no point in ruining a whole day by getting lazy halfway through it.
View Quote

A couple (I'm talking 2-3) tends to actually make me slightly MORE focused for a couple hours.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 8:25:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I used to think drinking during the day was a terrible idea. Mainly because when I was younger I had a very hard time regulating the amount of booze I drank, and I always ended up having too much.

Now, I find that 2 cocktails around lunch hour is quite nice. It's enough for a little "head change" but not so much that you start noticing that awful "coming down" feeling.

I also find that if I have a couple drinks (4-6oz of 80 proof, for example), I am actually MORE focused.

Of course, like a lot of places work does not allow us to drink during our workday.

My go-tos during the day are some kind of cheap American beer (I'm an unsophisticated slob, don't judge me) if I am having it with lunch, or if I'm not eating, I like a gin/tonic or a Tom Collins.

I was wrong about drinking during the day, and I am sorry.

View Quote

Seems somewhat sensible...
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 8:25:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes.....a 21'er fight. My body is ready.

Link Posted: 7/21/2021 8:28:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
Two doubles is "a couple drinks"?
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 8:31:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

A couple (I'm talking 2-3) tends to actually make me slightly MORE focused for a couple hours.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You just think you are more focused, because you're buzzed.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 8:31:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Alcohol is a depressant.

It doesn't make you focus more, it just slows down your thinking and let's you give two shits less about everything else and you can "focus" on that one thing more than you would've before.

I see no problem with it
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 8:31:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sorry, I meant 4-6oz total, not per drink.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 8:32:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't mean to shit on you, but it is an early sign of withdrawal.  For a lot of people, the beers aren't making you focus better.  They are clearing your mind of wanting booze.

Then again, a couple drinks does make the average person better at most things (including driving), so maybe it's not WDs.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 8:32:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Exactly how substance abuse starts. Every day drinker started exactly the same way.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 8:32:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

2 cocktails hardly makes me "drunk".....

If you're 110 pounds, YMMV.
View Quote

sure it does

you are drunk
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 8:33:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

You just think you are more focused, because you're buzzed.
View Quote

Well, whatever it is. I'm not chasing as many rabbits like I normally am.

I'm diagnosed "ADHD", so that might explain it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 8:35:01 PM EDT
[#19]
You can’t drink all day if you don’t start in the morning.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 8:37:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I don't mean to shit on you, but it is an early sign of withdrawal.  For a lot of people, the beers aren't making you focus better.  They are clearing your mind of wanting booze.

Then again, a couple drinks does make the average person better at most things (including driving), so maybe it's not WDs.  
View Quote

I sort of doubt that....

My typical drinking habits consist of:
1 night / month (not lately due to COVID) of pretty heavy drinking (maybe 6-10 over 4-6 hours) during a night out on the town with the wife.
2-3 cocktails 1-2 nights per week to unwind at the end of the day
Very infrequently I'll have 1-3 during the day around lunch

I don't think I use alcohol with enough frequency or in sufficient quantity to start experience "withdrawals" from it...
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 8:38:52 PM EDT
[#21]
6 ounces of 80 proof liquor is 4 standard drinks.  If you’re having that in an hour, you might be over .08.  Just FYI.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 8:40:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Exactly how substance abuse starts. Every day drinker started exactly the same way.
View Quote

I don't know man.... I've been doing this for several years with no real increase in the amount of alcohol I consume or the frequency with which I consume it...

I have the same 40-hour dayjob that I've had for about 6 years, plus a wife and 4 kids, and a mortgage...

Maybe some people can use alcohol without letting it ruin their lives? I can also have a slice of pizza without ballooning up to 400lbs. Go figure....

Link Posted: 7/21/2021 8:43:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

it doesn't, you are just confusing thinking harder with being focused
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 8:49:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Also, can’t believe this hasn’t been posted yet.

Link Posted: 7/21/2021 9:13:18 PM EDT
[#25]

Where are the cookies? I was promised you had cookies.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 9:16:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Also, can't believe this hasn't been posted yet.

https://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/ballmer_peak.png
View Quote

Interesting...

https://observer.com/2012/04/bottoms-up-the-ballmer-peak-is-real-study-says/
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 9:21:14 PM EDT
[#27]
I do my job better drunk.. But usually only when working from home
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 9:29:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Actually, the significant "benifit" of drinking when (trying to) work, only applies to skills also practiced when drinking.

The study group was professional UK darts players, whose OJT mostly took place in bars all their lives.  They needed 2-3 pints on board to get in "the zone" and could self-regulate their drinking from there on to stay buzzed but focused.

Of course, this result only really applies to fine motor skills, not general focus/concentration.  And the "practice said skills while buzzed" should probably not be attemped with shooting, or driving....

No word on whether they tried the same study with Lawn Darts.

BR
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 9:44:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
 Mostly water though.  
View Quote

Fish fuck in it.

You could be giving some large mouth bass a blowjob by proxy.

Link Posted: 7/21/2021 9:51:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I sort of doubt that....

1 night / month (not lately due to COVID) of pretty heavy drinking (maybe 6-10 over 4-6 hours) during a night out on the town with the wife.

I don't think I use alcohol with enough frequency or in sufficient quantity to start experience "withdrawals" from it...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I sort of doubt that....

With that info, I agree.  Not WDs.  Carry on.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 9:54:01 PM EDT
[#31]
My friends and I call it the two drink fuck its

You're safe with one drink, but when you go to the second you run the risk of saying fuck it, we're getting drunk
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 9:58:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Actually, the significant "benifit" of drinking when (trying to) work, only applies to skills also practiced when drinking.

The study group was professional UK darts players, whose OJT mostly took place in bars all their lives.  They needed 2-3 pints on board to get in "the zone" and could self-regulate their drinking from there on to stay buzzed but focused.

Of course, this result only really applies to fine motor skills, not general focus/concentration.  And the "practice said skills while buzzed" should probably not be attemped with shooting, or driving....

BR
View Quote

That's interesting, actually...

Since I typically play pool when I am at least have a buzz going, I'd probably be worse playing the game sober, then?

The increased "focus" benefit basically comes from a feeling being much less distractable.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 9:59:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Day drinking is a waste of booze and a day of work.  Wait until around 7 pm and start pounding that shit.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 10:03:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Day drinking is a waste of booze and a day of work.  Wait until around 7 pm and start pounding that shit.
View Quote

Work is far too much of a corporate HR-Karen-dominated environment for me to be allowed to drink during work hours.

There is a specific carve-out exception if you're entertaining clients/potential clients (though that doesn't apply to me).
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 10:04:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

BR
View Quote

There have been a number of tests that show driving improves with 1-3 drinks.  IIRC, ever the Myth Busters admitted this.  

Motorcyclist magazine did an extensive test about 15 years ago that showed the same.  1 to 3 drinks significantly improves the ability of the average rider.

I'm not advocating it, but a small amount of alcohol is a huge PED for clay shooting.  Like a single sip from a flask and "xoxxooxo" SC stations turn into "xxxoxxxx".
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 10:04:21 PM EDT
[#36]
These 21'ers are something else.....
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 10:05:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
These 21'ers are something else.....
View Quote

Thanks for showing up to say this, Boomer.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 10:08:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm exactly the same.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 10:10:28 PM EDT
[#39]
You can’t say that you’ve been drinking all day if you don’t start first thing in the morning.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 10:16:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I do my job better drunk.. But usually only when working from home
View Quote

A quarters player, it seems...
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 10:23:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 10:29:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

BR
View Quote

I can say that I would like to read more of your posts.  Welcome aboard.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 10:36:19 PM EDT
[#43]
I dont know if its still allowed, I retired in '06, but I used to have a couple beers at lunch while I was still on active duty.  We had a beer fridge in the Chief's Mess and I would go there for lunch.

With my current job as a consultant, we all drink during the day, even when visiting clients.  There are still lots of office bars in the corporate world.  I telecommute but the guys who keep a desk in the office all have bottles on their bookshelves.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 10:36:54 PM EDT
[#44]
I workout 4-5 days a week directly after work. I can't drink during the day or it wrecks my motivation and strength (my main focus is growing the main 4 compound lifts). Good thing I use fitness as an excuse, otherwise I'd probably have a whiskey on the rocks at lunch everyday.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 10:38:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Slightly less than two drinks, a classic:

That Mitchell And Webb Look - Slightly Less Than Two Drinks
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 11:18:33 PM EDT
[#46]
Having a little alcohol at lunch typically makes me an unmotivated piece of shit all afternoon.  I have to be a “self starter” and work with no supervision or guidance, and even a couple beers gives me a major case of the fuck-its.

Cannabis, on the other hand, seems to bestow upon me inhuman levels of focus.  I’ve only used it a few times - the first time, I spent a couple hours TIG welding stainless in a trance.  Beautiful beads.  It’s like time slowed down and I was able to watch the puddle freeze in slow motion and really focus on my rhythm.  Second time, I plowed snow (on my own property) for a couple hours and felt like I was one with the machine.  Like I had some scalpel-like precision through the joystick.

And then I registered an arf account under my real name and admitted to using a schedule 1 narcotic.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 11:26:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

so 2 or 3 double shots. Got it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 11:31:15 PM EDT
[#48]
I've come up with a much better solution.

I just empty the saline out of a regular old IV bag, and refill it with vodka.  Needle in a vein, slow steady drip, Bob's your uncle.  I can keep a good buzz going this way almost indefinately.  Infinitately.  Indefinably.  Whatever.  Hasn't hurt MY performance none.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 11:34:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Username checks out.

I won't usually day drink unless we go to the lake or I'm smoking meat.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 11:37:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

so 2 or 3 double shots. Got it.
View Quote

Typically a cocktail contains 1.5oz of 80 proof. Of course if it's free-poured, who knows?

Assuming a jigger is used, 4-6 oz would be 2.5-4 drinks or 1.33-2 "doubles."
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top