Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/30/2022 7:20:42 PM EDT
Want a new hobby now that shooting is too expensive.
Used to build scale models.
Big WW2 history buff (like have a masters and stuff).

All in all Bolt Action looks cool and I was thinking about building a 1000 point US Army.

Anyone have experience with this?
Any playing the Fort Worth area?

Link Posted: 3/30/2022 7:37:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

All in all Bolt Action looks cool and I was thinking about building a 1000 point US Army.

View Quote

Never done bolt action, but do play Warhammer 40K and have been interested in trying out bolt action.  

In for responses.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 7:50:30 PM EDT
[#2]
You should get into WWII reenacting
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 11:07:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You should get into WWII reenacting
View Quote
Funny you should mention it: https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/I-want-to-do-WW2-reenactments-/5-2542023/&page=1&anc=98020859#i98020859
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 9:06:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

Bolt Action is a great game. Works really well for smaller squad level actions. Not as sold on it for tank battles.

I like the alternating unit activation mechanism rather than the 40k style “my whole army goes and shoots half yours off the board, now it’s your turn “ play style.

The US Army seems like a pretty balanced force with good mobile firepower and decent morale.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 11:37:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Bolt Action is a great game. Works really well for smaller squad level actions. Not as sold on it for tank battles.

I like the alternating unit activation mechanism rather than the 40k style "my whole army goes and shoots half yours off the board, now it's your turn " play style.

The US Army seems like a pretty balanced force with good mobile firepower and decent morale.
View Quote
Never saw the appeal of Warhammer or D&D.

But I'm a history buff and the units in bolt action are tied to reality.  I've watched a couple of play through on YouTube and it seems fun.

But then I've never done this before.
Dunno if I should attend a game session or just drop a couple hundred and start painting miniatures.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 11:53:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

But I'm a history buff and the units in bolt action are tied to reality.  I've watched a couple of play through on YouTube and it seems fun.

Dunno if I should attend a game session or just drop a couple hundred and start painting miniatures.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like the alternating unit activation mechanism rather than the 40k style "my whole army goes and shoots half yours off the board, now it's your turn " play style.

Warhammer and D&D are completely different.  One has heavy RPG elements with a very rich story you are playing through (think video game story) and the other is pure combat.  Basically D&D is a role playing game with combat, crafting, trade/bartering, and various other stuff.  Warhammer is a war game.  Yes there's campaigns and all that but it's not a RPG.  You setup and you fight.  That's it.  

40K combat had taken a while for me to get my head around coming from D&D games and others like Twilight 2000.  But I do love the models and the lore.  But bolt action draws me in due to the basis in reality and history.  Two totally different ends of the spectrum I suppose, but both are attractive to me for those reasons.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 2:23:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Back in high school we played on an 8x12 foot gaming table.  Basically 3 sheets of plywood we could "scroll" as the battle moved on.

We used 1/72 scale models and infantry.

The unique part was the way the guy who ran the game ran the game.

He had a two boards that were copies of the map.  Each side would plot their moves on one of the small maps.  He would then put chips on the large board to represent sounds.  Once a vehicle was spotted he would place it on the large map.  It really made the fog of war an issue when playing.  We began using sounds just to set up ambushes. Or we would do like Saving Private Ryan (15 years before the movie) and run a "rabbit" out as bait.  It was quite stressful never knowing fully what you were up against.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 2:27:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would try to find a local game store (LGS) and see if they have any scheduled gaming nights for historicals. Unfortunately a lot of LGSs seem to only have Warhammer 40k for tabletop miniature gaming nights but some places will hopefully have an expanded player base.

It would be better to try a few small games with someone that knows the rules and has models you can try out to see what forces / play styles suit you best before dropping a lot of coin on models. But you could definitely buy a squad or a starter box and start painting up a few to begin with.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 2:49:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I would try to find a local game store (LGS) and see if they have any scheduled gaming nights for historicals. Unfortunately a lot of LGSs seem to only have Warhammer 40k for tabletop miniature gaming nights but some places will hopefully have an expanded player base.

It would be better to try a few small games with someone that knows the rules and has models you can try out to see what forces / play styles suit you best before dropping a lot of coin on models. But you could definitely buy a squad or a starter box and start painting up a few to begin with.
View Quote
I used to do 1/35 scale dioramas. Now I have kids and no space for them.

But I figured making and painting miniatures would be fun and using that to play with against other people would be fun.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 10:08:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Just got my first kit today.
Attachment Attached File

Sherman firefly inbound.

Link Posted: 4/11/2022 9:16:49 AM EDT
[#11]
I play 40k. Bolt action looks fun, but you may have a problem finding people to play.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 3:03:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I play 40k. Bolt action looks fun, but you may have a problem finding people to play.
View Quote
There's a place called sci-fi factory near my house that hosts games.
So I'm going to crash one of those.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 1:52:01 PM EDT
[#13]
There is also Flames of War.  I do Warhammer Kill Team as well.

Link Posted: 4/16/2022 3:42:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Got started.
Attachment Attached File

Kit bashed a radioman.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 12:20:57 PM EDT
[#15]
The Aussie museum of armor just had a video on this game.

Link Posted: 5/28/2022 9:00:28 PM EDT
[#16]
INNN!!!

Just saw this post,

I have a shiiiiit-on of the Flames of War books, a few bolt action and have started printing collecting the models.

Too bad you're in Houston and I'm over by Ft Hood.

I also play ASL, D&D and a bunch of other games. (does not playing in 5-10 years still count )

My HS group that I DM'ed for all went SJW ao I lost all those friends.

No Hijacking but I was just thinking today about seeing if I could get something online or in person going for... anything

I have a program for ASL that works pretty damn well, D&D or other RPGS can be done fairly well over skype / discord.

Edit--- My only gripe (if it even counts) is before I started buying for Bolt-Action, I read some review that said it was the same scale as Warhammer, which I was totally psyched about. But alas, its a bit smaller. If anyone is curious I'll take a picture in a bit.
Edit Edit--- "But alas, its a bit smaller." -That's what she said!

Maybe we could just hangout in Discord and paint models for the moment or something.
I'm going to make my own discord server for games here soon, but of anyone wants to chat send me an IM!
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 5:44:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
INNN!!!

Just saw this post,

I have a shiiiiit-on of the Flames of War books, a few bolt action and have started printing collecting the models.

I also play ASL, D&D and a bunch of other games. (does not playing in 5-10 years still count )

No Hijacking but I was just thinking today about seeing if I could get something online or in person going for... anything

I have a program for ASL that works pretty damn well, D&D or other RPGS can be done fairly well over skype / discord.

Edit--- My only gripe (if it even counts) is before I started buying for Bolt-Action, I read some review that said it was the same scale as Warhammer, which I was totally psyched about. But alas, its a bit smaller. If anyone is curious I'll take a picture in a bit.

Maybe we could just hangout in Discord and paint models for the moment or something.
I'm going to make my own discord server for games here soon, but of anyone wants to chat send me an IM!
View Quote
Never really played D&D or Warhammer.

But I've always loved history and cane across these.

I'm hooked and its super fun, especially building the models.

Here's a game me and my boys played.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/30/2022 6:07:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Epoxy Resin Diorama - U-Boat meets her demise.

Thought ya'll would find this as cool as I did. The explosion looks amazing
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 6:47:11 AM EDT
[#19]
I think my old high school buddy is into Bolt Action - he's down in Henderson.
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 12:03:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXaaoLc85vs

Thought ya'll would find this as cool as I did. The explosion looks amazing
View Quote
Been watching A Lot of scale modeling.

It's relaxing and fascinating.

Here's some terrain I did:
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/30/2022 6:30:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The Aussie museum of armor just had a video on this game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzQ5vVA4eoQ
View Quote

It reminds me of Company of Heroes board game-ized
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 10:59:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
INNN!!!

Just saw this post,

View Quote

Shocked to hear that.  When I lived in Cove (grew up there in the 80's) our local hobby shop had wargaming on the weekends (microarmor).  We also had a hobby club in Killeen that also put on wargames and hobby shows.  Granted that was a VERY long time ago.  We also had a gameboard in a friends garage made out of 3 4x8 sheets of plywood with roads and rivers that no matter how you aligned the boards they matched up.  It allowed us to have scrolling battles using 1/72 scale armor.  Although the rules we used were crazy detailed.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 12:21:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Cool post . I too used to play a lot of war games , dnd and a game we simply called “ Melee “ I think it’s really called “ The Fantasy trip “ mark jackson .

That game rocked . Like DND but less magic and much faster moving w simpler rules also rpg .

Also a lot of the Avalon hill games , I actually am setting up a solo “ Rise and Decline of the Third Reich game “

Another favorite was with 72 nd scale model miniatures . We played on a 4x8 ( minimal ) or larger board . The club I was had their own set of rules and data cards for at least 100 WW2 vehicles . Front armor flank armor speed gun penetration etc . Modifiers for crew exp and movement , terrain etc .
Infantry rules also .
Man those were the days .
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 2:55:49 PM EDT
[#24]
I've finished my first army and won my first league game

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/25/2023 10:12:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/231252/20230115_165138_jpg-2683858.JPG
View Quote

Those turned out great.

Even if you choose the dirty comimes
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 10:38:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/231252/20230115_165138_jpg-2683858.JPG
View Quote

Nice chad KV-2
Link Posted: 1/28/2023 6:27:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Nerds
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 9:25:18 AM EDT
[#28]
Working on British Paratroopers and some Nazis to be OP forAttachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/29/2023 9:50:48 PM EDT
[#29]
My American army is now complete
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top