Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/11/2022 5:10:29 PM EDT
I can't say I've ever seen or heard anyone do this, is there a reason why I shouldn't duct cool basement air up to the upper hotter floors? The place I'm renting has a basement, since I'm there short term and don't want to install anything permanent, I was thinking to save on air conditioning costs this summer I could just get a small ducted fan and some flexible duct to blow cool air up the basement stairway. The only problem I can see is if you had a humid damp basement, that humidity would be in your living areas. Good idea or no? Redneck engineering? Absolutely, but the only thing I have to impress are the governments spy drones.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 5:17:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Might be cheaper to get a small ac unit after looking at costs for material, and approval requirements from landlord.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 5:23:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Ehh, cost wise, it will be $30 of flexible duct laying to one side of the basement stair steps and $30 for an inline fan if I don't make the inline fan myself. I'll leave the landlord out of it.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 5:29:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I wish there was a way to do that in my house. I have thought about it many times. A lot of times it’s too hot upstairs and too cool in the basement. I have actually had the AC running up and the heat running downstairs. If there was a way to circulate the air it seems it would cut down on our utility bills.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 6:02:55 PM EDT
[#4]
That's old school.

You ain't the first one to have this idea...

Open a basement window and put a fan in it, blowing in... Crack open a top Floor window..heat rises and creates a draft.

Keep all windows except those 2 shut during the hot part of the day.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 6:14:00 PM EDT
[#5]
If you have cold air returns in your basement, you can buy a thermostat that does a recirculate, which means the fan on the furnace runs every 10 minutes or so, not just when the AC or furnace kicks on.  That will bring some of the cooler air in the basement to your upstairs.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 6:15:33 PM EDT
[#6]
perfect conditions to grow mold
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 6:25:24 PM EDT
[#7]
My old house came with a whole house fan in the ceiling of the top floor. You’d turn it on and open the door to the basement/garage for it to pull that colder air up though the house.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 6:36:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 7:17:40 PM EDT
[#9]
At my old house we cut an opening in the basement ductwork where it would pull basement air into it and push it out upstairs.  Apparently that's pretty common.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 8:44:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Do it yourself radon mitigation.

By the time you add a dehumidifier upstairs as well as the basement your burning nearly the same power as a window AC.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 9:02:38 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a 4" filter on my furnace. This time of year I take the door off the filter box and run the furnace fan on constant and pull the cool air in the basement and blow it through out the house. When the humidity gets high I turn on the A/C
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 10:10:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Cold surfaces in basement cause moisture in makeup air to condense and mold to grow.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 10:14:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Where are you located? This is a bad idea unless you're in a very arid climate.

If you recirculate the warm air down the relative humidity will rise as it cools, possibly condensing moisture into the basement causing mold problems.

If you do an open system (allowing fresh air into the basement and hot air out of the upper level) the fresh air coming in from outside will cause the same problem.
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 1:28:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Where are you located? This is a bad idea unless you're in a very arid climate.

If you recirculate the warm air down the relative humidity will rise as it cools, possibly condensing moisture into the basement causing mold problems.

If you do an open system (allowing fresh air into the basement and hot air out of the upper level) the fresh air coming in from outside will cause the same problem.
View Quote

The Midwest, it's kinda humid summer months. From what I'm told this basement does leak a small amount when it rains really heavily too.
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 6:28:27 AM EDT
[#15]
I wouldn't be all that concerned about mold.  I think it's overblown.

Like before mold was discovered how did people keep their houses cool?
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 7:02:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 8:50:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
My old house came with a whole house fan in the ceiling of the top floor. You’d turn it on and open the door to the basement/garage for it to pull that colder air up though the house.
View Quote

We had one of these growing up.  Works well if you live in the country and have cool nights.  Not so well in a city heat island.
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 3:16:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I wouldn't be all that concerned about mold.  I think it's overblown.

Like before mold was discovered how did people keep their houses cool?
View Quote

You mean before mechanical refrigeration gave us the ability to mitigate mold?

People dealt with it as a normal part of life, just like scurvy, diseases, etc. People died younger too. Ignorance is ignorance, until you learn better, then continuing that is just willful ignorance. People simply didn't know better but once they did they changed their habits, at least the smart ones did.

Just because people USED to tolerate things that could harm them and damage their homes doesn't mean we shouldn't try to mitigate them to lead a more healthy life, or better protect our homes from the elements. That argument is asinine.

Homes were also built differently then too.

You also must keep in mind that opening an entire home up to natural ventilation (what would have been done in that time period) doesn't create such extreme temperature and humidity differentials. Selective ventilation like OP is describing will create moisture condensation, especially in the midwest.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 9:45:31 AM EDT
[#19]
What if OP runs a dehumidifier in the basement?
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 3:55:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
What if OP runs a dehumidifier in the basement?
View Quote

Somewhat counterproductive.

As moisture is removed from the air the air temperature goes up (for a closed system without external energy inputs).

Additionally, a dehumidifier is basically just an air conditioner that dumps the heat back into the room. OP is trying to avoid running the A/C due to cost. Running a dehumidifier will get him a warm, dry room that is nearly the cost of running A/C.

Running it in the basement where some of the heat can escape into the surrounding walls/earth helps but it's still not a great solution to keep him cool for really low cost.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 7:44:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Just move into the basement?
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 8:25:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Just move into the basement?
View Quote

I did this the first summer after I bought my house. Mine is a walkout, so it has a door and windows.

Now that I have AC on main floor I leave basement door open in summer, it removes humidity from the basement. My basement is also the man cave so I am there often.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 8:50:05 AM EDT
[#23]
I think you are really overthinking this. Especially for a temporary situation.
I have a Stanley squirrel cage fan, like a smaller industrial air mover.  I put it at the bottom of the basement steps and shoot the cool air up the steps when it gets really hot. Another small fan near the top of the steps pushes that into the living area.
I notice the central air doesn’t run as often when I do this so it must be doing a little good.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 9:47:35 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I think you are really overthinking this. Especially for a temporary situation.
I have a Stanley squirrel cage fan, like a smaller industrial air mover.  I put it at the bottom of the basement steps and shoot the cool air up the steps when it gets really hot. Another small fan near the top of the steps pushes that into the living area.
I notice the central air doesn’t run as often when I do this so it must be doing a little good.
View Quote

Hot air goes up, cold goes down.
You're fighting convection.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top