Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/24/2021 11:18:29 AM EDT
I want to add a 12 volt compressor and 5 or so gallon tank, primary uses are airing up tires and some blow nozzle cleaning. I currently use a 120v 5 gallon pancake compressor for the blow gun work and it keeps up fine there's just not always an outlet available. I have cordless tools so no air tool use to worry about.

I'm looking at constant duty kits made by VIAIR and they seem like a good value with good reviews. Any other good recommendations?

I plan to mount the compressor and tank under the bed then run a line to somewhere for the air chuck. That's what I really need some help with, where is a good place to put an air chuck that will stay fairly clean and be less likely to get damaged?
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 11:42:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Why not add an inverter instead, this way you could power up anything 110/120v.

To answer your actual question, ViAir is good company,  I have their portable compressor I keep in my parts/ tool chest in back of K5.

You need to post year , make and model for ppl to help, not all vehicles are created the same,  what works for me , may not for you
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 11:43:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why not add an inverter instead, this way you could power up anything 110/120v.

To answer your actual question, ViAir is good company,  I have their portable compressor I keep in my parts/ tool chest in back of K5
View Quote

You can't power very much with an inverter.  Certainly not an air compressor.

ETA: Even a tiny compressor is going to draw 10 amps at 120 volts.  That would be around 100 amp load on your battery and alternator, and that's not counting start-up current.

Link Posted: 2/24/2021 12:01:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I run dual Viair 400s with a 1 gallon tank for airing up and powering a locker. For airing up tires, you don't need a tank, but it does help air up a bit faster as the compressors run while you move between tires. 5 gallons is way overkill for not running tools. My setup takes a little over a minute per 35" tire to go from 8psi to 30psi.

If I were to do it over, I would have gone with the dual ARB compressor for its size/packaging benefits. Smittybuilt also has a big compressor that people seem to like. The specs on the compressor you are interested in is CFM.

What vehicle, size tires, pressures, and how often are you planning to air down/up?
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 12:17:38 PM EDT
[#4]
The truck is a 2021 f250 PSD. I'm not airing up and down for off road use, just flats and low tires. Part of this trucks life is a service truck and the blow gun gets used a lot for short amounts of time.

I have considered an inverter but I'd really like to have something more permanently mounted and always available.  Its not out of the question though.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 12:32:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The truck is a 2021 f250 PSD. I'm not airing up and down for off road use, just flats and low tires. Part of this trucks life is a service truck and the blow gun gets used a lot for short amounts of time.

I have considered an inverter but I'd really like to have something more permanently mounted and always available.  Its not out of the question though.
View Quote

I'm telling you, an inverter is not the answer.  

1 HP = 746 watts.

Watts = Volts x Amps  

746 / 12 volts = 62 amps per HP load on your battery.  

Link Posted: 2/24/2021 12:53:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

1 HP = 746 watts.

Watts = Volts x Amps  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1 HP = 746 watts.

Watts = Volts x Amps  

Thats a big load, and my pancake compressor would likely pull 1200-1500 watts. I'd obviously want to keep the truck running when using the comp going either route but I doubt the alternator puts out 100+ amps at idle that the inverter would need. If it did it would be hating life.

Link Posted: 2/24/2021 1:22:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Any option for an engine drive compressor on the new trucks?
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 1:28:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Any option for an engine drive compressor on the new trucks?
View Quote

I didn't see it as a factory option, there may be AF set ups for it but it would probably be overkill for what I need.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 1:52:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I want to add a 12 volt compressor and 5 or so gallon tank, primary uses are airing up tires and some blow nozzle cleaning. I currently use a 120v 5 gallon pancake compressor for the blow gun work and it keeps up fine there's just not always an outlet available. I have cordless tools so no air tool use to worry about.

I'm looking at constant duty kits made by VIAIR and they seem like a good value with good reviews. Any other good recommendations?

I plan to mount the compressor and tank under the bed then run a line to somewhere for the air chuck. That's what I really need some help with, where is a good place to put an air chuck that will stay fairly clean and be less likely to get damaged?
View Quote
VIAIRs are great compressors...  I know so many guys that have them or had them to supply air for their bags. Hardley ever heard of any issue with them.
Just want to make sure its fused and you have heavy enough wire from the battery to the Compressor.
Also, don't run off just battery for long, say suck juice.  

You'll need a pressure switch for the tank, a relay or solenoid and a dash switch as well.  

Link Posted: 2/24/2021 2:13:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
VIAIRs are great compressors...  I know so many guys that have them or had them to supply air for their bags. Hardley ever heard of any issue with them.
Just want to make sure its fused and you have heavy enough wire from the battery to the Compressor.

You'll need a pressure switch for the tank, a relay or solenoid and a dash switch as well.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Great to know! I'm leaning towards their 200 psi 100% duty cycle compressor kit. It comes wire, switches,, etc and a 2 gallon tank but I'll probably pick up a 5 gallon to use. Looks like there's enough room.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 3:51:02 PM EDT
[#11]
I put the ORO engine driven system on my Jeep...

Awesome system but $$. I dont run a tank..dont need to but it works with one as well.

Uses a modified York A\C compressor with an oil control ring and a finned head. 100% duty cycle.

Took really good care of me with a fitment issue I ran into.  
Ordered replacement parts over the phone for me at my local NAPA so I was able to get them same day.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 4:05:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Great to know! I'm leaning towards their 200 psi 100% duty cycle compressor kit. It comes wire, switches,, etc and a 2 gallon tank but I'll probably pick up a 5 gallon to use. Looks like there's enough room.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If possible, use a detachable portable tank, so you can fill it, and walk away from the truck with it.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 4:14:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

If possible, use a detachable portable tank, so you can fill it, and walk away from the truck with it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats a great idea.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 6:53:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Depending on how much use it will see a Power Tank or other similar high pressure deal might be your best best.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 7:03:51 PM EDT
[#15]
If you don't want it permanently attached check your battery tool brand to see if they also have a battery operated compressor.

I know for sure dewalt and Milwaukee have 2 gallon compressors available in their battery lineups.

For your use they would work.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 7:16:59 PM EDT
[#16]
I have the ARB single piston compressor on my Wrangler. it comes in handy.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:15:16 PM EDT
[#17]
I have the ARB single compressor. It can do short bursts if you wanted it to blow stuff off with a nozzle, but I would recommend the dual compressor. I'm not a fan of tanks.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 9:31:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Depending on how much use it will see a Power Tank or other similar high pressure deal might be your best best.
View Quote

Winner Winner . I have one for my Jeep ( and an onboard ARB ) . Long trips I throw the Power Tank in my Truck , wifes rig  , work truck , Snowmobile Trailer , Camp trailer  . You get the picture
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 10:22:39 PM EDT
[#19]
I’d say ARB is the way
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 10:45:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

OK.  A 5 gallon tank, at ~100PSI, will fill about *one* decent-sized truck tire, that's it.  Then you're waiting on the compressor.  Also, a 5 gallon tank doesn't run a blow nozzle for terribly long, then you're stuck waiting for the compressor.  Now if we were talking a 240V, multi-horse compressor, that doesn't matter.  But 12V units are a LOT less powerful, because...well, P=IV.

The reason I bring that up is that if you're going to be doing more than just topping tires off, filling *a* tire from flat, or blowing things for a couple of minutes, consider a bigger tank.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 11:50:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
A lot of tanks are only rated to 150, so check specs. A blow gun will empty a 5 gal tank pretty quick (as mentioned above). I would put a regulator on it and turn it down to the minimal pressure you can get away with.

If you mount a quick connect outside, it needs to be covered or the elements will destroy it quickly. 1/2" hydraulic dust caps fit well and are cheap.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 12:06:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Winner Winner . I have one for my Jeep ( and an onboard ARB ) . Long trips I throw the Power Tank in my Truck , wifes rig  , work truck , Snowmobile Trailer , Camp trailer  . You get the picture
View Quote
They won't listen.
short of a dedicated air system (think big truck with air brakes) if you want  portable air a high pressure tank is the way to go unless it's something you use often then it's gonna get expensive and bulky
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top