Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Posted: 1/5/2022 3:38:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: R3L04D]
Not a GD thread

For a while now I've thought about getting a reptile for a pet. Something like a bearded dragon, gecko, chameleon, etc. No snakes  My wife was originally against the idea but I think has warmed up to it.

House situation - Wife, 3 kids (9 and under), 2 dogs. I'm hybrid WFH, wife is home all the time. Kids in school during the day. We travel several times throughout the year... Mostly long weekends but once or twice we all might be gone a week.  We do have family nearby that help with the dogs... And might be willing to help with a reptile depending on maintenance.

Tell me what I need to know. What's a good starter pet? I could envision each of my boys having one in their room when they are old enough. This one would be 'mine' and the kids would help take care of it with supervision.

I have a great local store that specializes in exotics and reptiles I plan to visit, but want to go in with some information ahead of time.

Things I'm most interested in are: the amount of 'gear' I'll need to buy to keep it alive, daily maintenance, how much/often they eat, how many times a week/month I'll need to plan to go to the store for specialty items, etc.

Thanks for any info you're willing to provide.

Link Posted: 1/5/2022 3:46:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: billth777] [#1]
Bearded Dragon is the dog of the reptile world. My son has one and we all love her.

EDIT

Habitat, she has a 40 gal tank (craigslist) and a UVB bulb and a heat lamp. Adults eat more veg than protein so she mainly eats things like dandelion greens, arugula, various melons and fruits, sweet potatoes, etc. The only protein source we feed is superworms because I have a good local supplier.

She will chill on your shoulder while you read/walk around. She isnt scared of the dogs and will chill in the floor with them.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 4:26:43 PM EDT
[#2]
When I was growing up we had a tarantula,  we got her when she was young and she was very friendly to us. With 4 boys in the house she was always being handled, she would climb up and across your face and sit on your shoulder or right on top of your head.
We fed her live crickets most of the time from the yard but in the winter we would buy her crickets.
Needless to say we were the coolest kids in the hood.
Not a reptile I know but really cool to have.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 8:09:41 PM EDT
[#3]
I didn't think I would like reptiles, but one of the kids has Bearded Dragons, Leopard Geckos, and some others.  

If you have the room for a 40gal tanks, I think the Bearded Dragon is the way to go.  If not, the Geckos are pretty neat and can make due with 10-15 gal tanks.

Both are pretty hardy creatures and once full grown don't need to eat every day and can tolerate being left for several days at a time without feeding, etc.  

Link Posted: 1/5/2022 8:49:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RinsableTick] [#4]
We had bearded dragon for about 4 years, and while he was a gentle animal, he didnt do much but eat, sleep, and poop.  Feeding him was a hassle.  I had to constantly buy fresh veggies and cut them up.  We also kept crickets, and having to constantly buy more crickets (they die easily), feed the crickets too, and dust them with calcium was such an annoyance.  His poop was pretty nasty, and cleaning the cage out was no fun.  If that sounds like your cup of tea, have at it, but we were glad to give him away.  Although the family we gave him to killed him in less than a month by letting the kids play with him too much.  That actually pissed us off pretty good, even though we didn't want the little monster anymore.  If you ignore the hassles, he was a good animal.  Never bit, not even once.  His claws got sharp, but I trimmed them.  We called him Chuck Norris.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 9:14:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Beardy by reputation, but I have no direct experience. Friend had chameleons, and some of them are pretty fragile. My daughter has two ball pythons, and they are the most boring pet. They are nocturnal, but generally very docile. Buying rats can be a burden, and isn't cheap. They take massive craps.

Totally off subject, but I had a cockatiel that lived for 24 years. He was an awesome friend and companion. I still miss him a lot. Very easy to care for, but you'd have to be careful with the dogs.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 9:27:04 PM EDT
[#6]
After doing some research I'm leaning towards a gecko since they don't get as big. Bearded dragons get bigger than I thought they did and those tanks take up a lot of space. But I appreciate the input thus far and welcome additional comments
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 9:43:08 PM EDT
[#7]
If you do go big with the bearded dragon, make sure to get the 40 gallon "breeder" tank, not the 40 gal "long" tank.  The breeder is 36x18x16 vs 48x12x16.  You want the wider breeder tank for the bearded dragon as they grow to ~22 inches long.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 9:59:48 PM EDT
[#8]
If you are considering a Bearded Dragon, reach out to me.  I have been breeding them for over a decade and can steer you in the right direction.

You can follow me on facebook Here

Or my main site here

There is a basic care sheet on my site under resources that may help answer some questions.

Link Posted: 1/5/2022 10:52:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mclark202:
If you are considering a Bearded Dragon, reach out to me.  I have been breeding them for over a decade and can steer you in the right direction.

Or my main site here

There is a basic care sheet on my site under resources that may help answer some questions.

View Quote
You have some beautiful dragons on your website and FB page.  Thank you for reaching out.  A dragon may be in my future down the road if/when I have more space....but right now I don't think I can support such a large tank for it live in as an adult.
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 3:35:21 PM EDT
[#10]
I am currently working on setting up and getting a Crested Gecko. I keep a Bearded dragon now and he is a pretty picky eater. Crested Geckos are fairly low maintenance and easily available.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 12:10:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Blue tongue skink FTW. Beardies will always have a place in my heart as my first reptile, but skinks are much more enjoyable pets imo. Plus you can feed them a staple diet of dog/cat food and veggies which means no bugs if you aren't into mealworms and dubias.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 12:39:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By JoeMal:
For a while now I've thought about getting a reptile for a pet. Something like a bearded dragon, gecko, chameleon, etc. No snakes  My wife was originally against the idea but I think has warmed up to it.
View Quote

In my experience... the neatness is cool at first, but since they're really not personable... it wears off before long, and they're just a chore.

If you do buy one, you can probably find them cheap from other people who realized they were just a chore.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 11:31:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Snakes are cooler. And I think easier to care for.

I’ve got ball pythons. Love them.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 9:08:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By CLICKBANGBANG:
Snakes are cooler. And I think easier to care for.

I’ve got ball pythons. Love them.
View Quote

A ball python that is a good eater of frozen thawed is a pretty neat reptile pet.  A finicky BP that will only take live is a pain in the ass.

I had about a dozen at one point, and if I did snakes again I'd get a boa.

For the OP, you and the family need to subscribe to Clint's Reptiles on YouTube and start watching.  Imagine a goofy Mr Rodgers kinda guy who will give you specifics on every reptile breed you can imagine.  Good channel for learning and good for the whole family.  Snake Discovery is another very good YouTube resource.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 5:58:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Seriously considering another bearded dragon or possibly a uromastyx myself. My daughter wants a leopard gecko like we got for her classroom.

The cages do take up more space than you think, but as long as you’ve got the room and a reliable lizard sitter for vacations, they aren’t much trouble at all.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 1:08:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By drew5337:
A ball python that is a good eater of frozen thawed is a pretty neat reptile pet.  A finicky BP that will only take live is a pain in the ass.

I had about a dozen at one point, and if I did snakes again I'd get a boa.
View Quote

If you get a picky ball python you will eventually get a boa or carpet python or SOMETHING else that will eat what the finicky ball python doesn't.

That said, I think most captive snakes are way overfed and ball pythons are better at self-regulating.  My females get offered a feeder every two weeks, males every three weeks, and even then they don't eat every time.  I don't feed mine anything larger than a small live rat or medium frozen/thaw rat.  Still, it's rather disconcerting when the mature males all stop eating for the winter.

Other snake species are easier because they eat, but they also get obese and die early of fatty liver disease if you feed them as much as they want to eat.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 1:16:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Bearded dragon. Easy and won't run away from you. Lazy shits.

But.. They eat a shit ton.  I suggest front loading the cost and buying a bunch of dubia roaches and breeding them.  They just sit in a Rubbermaid bin with egg cartons. Give them fruits and vege scraps and some dry cricket food.

They grow fast. Goes from keyfob size to this in about a year.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/25/2022 2:52:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Bearded dragons are probably the best pet lizard you can get. I’ve never had one because their care isn’t the easiest, it isn’t horrible but it isn’t easy.

Snakes are easy…. Almost too easy.
Link Posted: 8/25/2022 3:01:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: StromBusa] [#19]
Link Posted: 8/25/2022 3:05:51 PM EDT
[#20]
For anyone that wants to consider a bearded dragon, reach out to me. I breed them and produce over 500 a year. It’s a pretty serious side hustle for me but I have some of the most colorful babies you can find on this continent.

I’m slow at updating my site but keep my Facebook going pretty good. I always list them on Facebook first before putting them directly on my site but ALWAYS work with people that work with me outside of my site that charges me fees.

https://www.mikesbeardeds.com

https://www.facebook.com/Mikesbeardeds

Seriously, if you are considering a dragon, I’m your guy!

Link Posted: 8/25/2022 3:08:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/25/2022 3:09:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Sulcatta owner here.  Tortoises are cool and until they get as big as mine then they are all manageable.
Link Posted: 8/25/2022 3:20:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By deerranger:
When I was growing up we had a tarantula,  we got her when she was young and she was very friendly to us. With 4 boys in the house she was always being handled, she would climb up and across your face and sit on your shoulder or right on top of your head.
We fed her live crickets most of the time from the yard but in the winter we would buy her crickets.
Needless to say we were the coolest kids in the hood.
Not a reptile I know but really cool to have.
View Quote

Easiest pet ever:  Chilean Rose Hair
Link Posted: 8/25/2022 3:41:57 PM EDT
[#24]
I've heard that they taste like chicken...
And if you have enough lizards that the tails break off (geckos), it's considered self regenerating survival food.

Question: Just how many of these little lizards do you need to have to keep a family of 5 fed?
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 4:07:21 PM EDT
[#25]
For anyone that wants to consider a bearded dragon, reach out to me. I breed them and produce over 500 a year. It’s a pretty serious side hustle for me but I have some of the most colorful babies you can find on this continent.

I’m slow at updating my site but keep my Facebook going pretty good. I always list them on Facebook first before putting them directly on my site but ALWAYS work with people that work with me outside of my site that charges me fees.

https://www.mikesbeardeds.com

https://www.facebook.com/Mikesbeardeds

Seriously, if you are considering a dragon, I’m your guy!

https://i.imgur.com/kTPBVNn.jpg
View Quote

After taking my kiddos to a reptile show today they want beardies.
I had one in my past single life and he lived to be 14. You'll be hearing from me.
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 3:17:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Do it. Get a dragon. I love mine. They are funny creatures. Mine will literally give me shitty looks for reasons lol. They love Dubias. As mentioned, plan on keeping a colony of Dubias for them you will go broke paying for them. Luckily they are pretty easy to keep also.
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 3:49:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Cressida:
I've heard that they taste like chicken...
And if you have enough lizards that the tails break off (geckos), it's considered self regenerating survival food.

Question: Just how many of these little lizards do you need to have to keep a family of 5 fed?
View Quote

They don't grow back.  That's one of the downsides to geckos; eventually it may well be tailless.  Geckos can also be assholes... they're not all as cultured as the one hawking insurance.

OP:
Bearded dragons are indeed docile, but not particularly exciting.  May as well have fish.

Chameleons are way cool, but will need even more space than the BD's. More complicated too; really need a water drip system to keep them happy.  Females can also get egg-bound and suddenly you have no chameleon.  Overall they're one of the most interesting reptile pets if you're willing to put in the work, though.  Hatched this lil guy from an egg:

Amphibians can be neat too.  We've raised poison dart frogs on and off for 25+ years, but they're more of a hobby than a pet.  Have also raised Red-Eyed tree frogs, which are gorgeous but pretty boring during the day since they're nocturnal.

Honestly I think the dragons would be the way to go for someone just getting into it.  Bite the bullet and make some space if you really want to do this.
Link Posted: 1/29/2023 11:59:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Nice job on the bearded dragons.

I haven’t had a snake since I was maybe 12.

20 years later I think I’m going to get a Kenyan sand boa.  I’ve been doing lots of research and about to order an enclosure.  

Some say downside to them is they are buried in the substrate all day, and might only see them cruising in the dark.  I think I’m okay with that.  They look cool, are derpy, and stay small.  

Thinking about a nicer tub type enclosure from focus cubed.
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 12:23:37 AM EDT
[#29]

Or my main site here

View Quote

Nice! Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 6:29:33 PM EDT
[#30]
No one has suggested alligators.  That would be my pick if they were legal here and the weather was more friendly like Texas.  I had them as pets for a long time and they always fascinated me.  I felt like they were as close to owning a dinosaur as I could get.  The only reason I ever gave mine up was getting transferred to GTMO.  I wanted to bring them but couldn't figure how to smuggle them onto base.
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 2:50:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: EP429] [#31]
If you haven't pulled the trigger a year later - Another tortoise vote here.
Redfoots are great. They're a fairly gregarious species, don't dig and don't get terribly large. With their temperature tolerances it's easy to keep a grown redfoot in the back yard for about 75% of the year in Texas & they're more than happy to chow down on some native plants you might have in your yard.
They aren't a brumating species however, for winter I just set up a modestly sized plywood-walled enclosure in the garage with heat lamps & a warmed plastic dog house.

If you're looking for an indoor reptile, tortoises need a lot of space relative to their size & for most people generally not a good candidate. If you're willing to do outdoors, they're great little reptilian dogs.
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 1:18:05 PM EDT
[#32]
We got a bearded dragon back in November, think she's almost a year now. Bathtime seems to be her favorite thing to do.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 7:02:57 PM EDT
[#33]
A Gila Monster!
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 11:23:41 AM EDT
[#34]
My neighbor has a bearded dragon she takes on walks with her dog. Pretty cool little guy. He just hangs around... on a lizard leash most of the time lol
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top