Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/9/2022 12:26:49 PM EDT
I've been looking at lathes for a long time. Long story short, I'm at a place in life right now where saving up for a PM is just not getting me anywhere. But I've got a little tax refund coming, and I kind of have my eye on the little machine shop 7x16. I'm sure that one day I will sell it to fund a bigger lathe, but that may very well be another 10 years.

https://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=5100&category=1271799306

I've also been keeping an eye on local machines selling used, but for the price point I'm not seeing much come up. There are some craftsman 6x18's that come and go for a little less money, but I'm not really convinced that a 50 year old hobby machine is going to be a better route to take.

Talk me out of it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 12:30:37 PM EDT
[#1]
The other thing that I think about is that there are a ton of 7x14's on Amazon under a plethora of names for $6-700 that I could also go with. This old Tony seemed to think that you should just buy the cheapest one since they are all the same and use the money saved toward upgrades. The LMS stuff seems realitevely well regarded though and a step up from the rest.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 12:35:17 PM EDT
[#2]
What kinds of things do you plan to make with it?

Will the work envelope supported by that machine handle it?

If so, having a mini-lathe is much better than not having one.

(Oh, you wanted people to talk you out of it - never mind…)

Full disclosure: I own a 7 X 14 mini lathe (and also own a larger 12 X 32 lathe which is not currently set up) but most of my hobby-level machining is done on a milling machine instead of on a lathe.

Link Posted: 3/9/2022 12:44:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a large one but am getting this one to play with after looking around:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B088PDG2DN
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 12:59:12 PM EDT
[#4]
What do you plan to make?

Do you have a mill?  Personally, I would buy a mill before I bought a lathe.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 1:01:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

How strange.  I had never heard of that company before this morning, and fifteen minutes ago, I ordered a hydraulic power unit from them.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 1:08:02 PM EDT
[#6]
9x20 ... minimum.

And you’ll want a QCTP of some kind. 4-tool posts suck major ass. And you’ll want to replace any plastic gears with with metal gears. Buy several belts.

And all that is just to have decently usable lathe.  You haven’t spent a dime on “tools”.  You’ll need live centers, feelers, calipers, depth gauges, steady rest, ... CUTTING tools.

Get indexible carbide. Indexible turning, threading, grooving, boring and parting holders are cheap as hell anymore.  You’re lathe won’t be precision enough or powerful enough to warrant spending more on the tool holders than you can just get on amazon or harbor freight.  Just DONT buy the cheapest chinesium inserts you can... mid-grade stuff will serve you well.  A basic grinder and a few HSS blanks or brazed carbide tipped blanks for that one off thing or so are nice to keep around in a pinch.  

Even for a cheap Chinese POS, you’ll be into it for $1200+ to have something workable.  Might be worth scoring one off craigslist That comes with a lot of tooling for $1500ish and you’ll be quality-ahead for the same cash outlay all at once.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 1:15:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Technically a lathe can do more than a mill.  If one were so inclined, you could make a mill or reproduce a lathe with a lathe... can’t do that with a mill.

You replace the tool post on the lathe saddle with a cheap vertical-travel 90-degree t-slot (for z travel) and you can mill reasonably well, or at least as well as a tiny harbor freight hobby mill (albeit with fairly limited vertical travel).  Google lathe milling attachment or something like that. Looks gimmicky, but it doesn’t not work.

No 4th axis no matter how nice can turn a regular manual 3-axis mill into a decent lathe facsimile.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 1:15:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Holy shit, yeah. That... looks a lot better for the price honestly. I'll look into this one a lot more.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 1:21:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Mostly, I just want to start "making". Definitely the long term goal is guns and gun parts(obviously being in this forum), but I'm ok with settling for a smaller machine that I can get going on sooner. I'm just a hobbiest so I don't have strict definitions on what I "need"

I was looking to get a lathe for a long time, and got overwhelmed and ended up buying a 3d printer instead. I love making stuff with it, but dammit I want metal parts. So many people into 3d printing spend a few thousand on printers, I'd rather keep ender 3 cheap and spend money on getting into metal.

Technically, I already have a lathe. It's a 1934 turret lathe and has a 10hp 3ph motor. I've been trying to find a phase converter for it, but in addition to that, I can buy a mini lathe and tooling for less. I know machining isn't a good hobby if you're poor, but these mini machines sure seem a lot easier to get tooled up and going that this big old thing in my garage.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 1:23:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

No, I don't have a mill, but I've also been looking at that as well. LMS seems to have a nice one for the same price range. There's just something about a lathe that holds my interest more, but I admit a mill is probably the wiser option.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 1:29:51 PM EDT
[#11]
some more options

https://www.toolots.com/machine-tool-industry/metal-lathes.html
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 1:59:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Holy shit, yeah. That... looks a lot better for the price honestly. I'll look into this one a lot more.
View Quote
This guy has a bunch of upgrades that can be done over time with the mini's:

20 Best Mini Lathe Upgrades And Improvements

Link Posted: 3/9/2022 2:48:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
This guy has a bunch of upgrades that can be done over time with the mini's:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVkWQLbPo60
View Quote

He's actually one of the channels that keeps inspiring me to get going on getting a lathe.

You linked the 8.7x16, but I see the same company also has a 8.7x29. Any reason not to go with the bigger machine? Looks like all of the reviews are similarly 50/50, but I was anticipating rebuilding a fair amount of whatever mini lathe I get anyway, so that's not the most frightening idea.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 2:55:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

He's actually one of the channels that keeps inspiring me to get going on getting a lathe.

You linked the 8.7x16, but I see the same company also has a 8.7x29. Any reason not to go with the bigger machine? Looks like all of the reviews are similarly 50/50, but I was anticipating rebuilding a fair amount of whatever mini lathe I get anyway, so that's not the most frightening idea.
View Quote
I don't see why not. I needed one as short as possible so that was what I was searching for. I just wanted the highest watt motor and largest bore and this one seemed like a good enough one. They have mini mill QCTP for only $40 that will bolt right on but I added these to cart and know I will have to fit them but I have a mill. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B071HW2HTF/
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 3:21:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I don't see why not. I needed one as short as possible so that was what I was searching for. I just wanted the highest watt motor and largest bore and this one seemed like a good enough one. They have mini mill QCTP for only $40 that will bolt right on but I added these to cart and know I will have to fit them but I have a mill. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B071HW2HTF/
View Quote

Thanks for the help! The x29 has a smaller motor than the x16 which seems odd... but 1.5" spindle bore is pretty excellent. No doubt it'll need some tinkering, but these kind of look like winners for my needs.
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 9:13:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Technically a lathe can do more than a mill.  If one were so inclined, you could make a mill or reproduce a lathe with a lathe... can’t do that with a mill.

You replace the tool post on the lathe saddle with a cheap vertical-travel 90-degree t-slot (for z travel) and you can mill reasonably well, or at least as well as a tiny harbor freight hobby mill (albeit with fairly limited vertical travel).  Google lathe milling attachment or something like that. Looks gimmicky, but it doesn’t not work.

No 4th axis no matter how nice can turn a regular manual 3-axis mill into a decent lathe facsimile.
View Quote

I respectfully disagree.

A mill can also function as a lathe. Neither one does the other well. The envelope when milling with a lathe is ridiculously small, the envelope when turning on a mill or milling round parts can actually be pretty sizable depending on fixturing.

I happen to agree with the poster that says a mill is far more useful than a lathe. I have both, I started with a lathe but that's because lathes are cheap and plentiful. I paid under $300 for a fully operational 10" South Bend. My mill was quite a bit more and took more searching.
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 9:28:04 AM EDT
[#17]
They can be very useful tools used within their limitations.  They can be modified and improved an become even more useful.

You can quickly double the price just getting needed attachments and accessories.

Link Posted: 3/10/2022 11:24:33 AM EDT
[#18]
I have that lathe in a different brand but they are all made by seig.  

It turns non-ferrous stuff okay but it doesn't have the hp or rigidity to do ferrous.  It will sort of cut cast iron.  I bought mine used off craigslist and tbh it really wasn't worth buying.

You have a better machine already, spend the money on that
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 12:26:11 PM EDT
[#19]
I'd shop around for something a bit more substantial.  Ask around, they're out there still.
I paid $400 my a 1024P Jet.
Just sold a 10x36 Sheldon with a taper attachment for $400.
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 12:31:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'd shop around for something a bit more substantial.  Ask around, they're out there still.
I paid $400 my a 1024P Jet.
Just sold a 10x36 Sheldon with a taper attachment for $400.
View Quote
I have been shopping for a month lol. I have a LeBlond and just got it back going but needed something small that I can dedicate only to threading. I posted the link above on the one I was getting but ended up getting this one (Just to save since it comes with so much). https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07T7JPSRC I have been watching tons of vids on the issues they have and for me I look forward to upgrading and working them out.

@OP, if you do get a mini I am not sure if it is what you need but I also got this to bolt it too so I can slide it around when not in use since I am so limited on space with other machinery.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B001UE7JP4/
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 4:54:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Dude look on Craigslist for a clapped out old lathe they’re literally a dime a dozen you’ll be much better off in the end
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 4:59:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Dude look on Craigslist for a clapped out old lathe they’re literally a dime a dozen you’ll be much better off in the end
View Quote

Clapped out old lathes near me still go for $900
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 7:34:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

In many parts of the country this is true.

My SB 10" was $300 and needed minimal repair.

My long bed Leblond was very lightly used but had some abuse and needed significant work. I paid $1500 for it. I've put 200+ hours into a full, proper restoration; boring and sleeving worn journals, stripping years of swarf and repainting, replacing chipped gears, rescraping worn & galled cast iron cross-slide, compound, and taper, refitting the tail stock with a new quill (not yet done with that yet)...

But that's a "Cadillac" full size lathe (15 x 78 turning envelope) with automatic feed stops, high spindle speeds, central lube on the carriage, etc so will be quite valuable when finished.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 1:11:59 PM EDT
[#24]
There are certain regions of the country where manufacturing of metal components were more common and thus there are mills and lathes available in more volume in those areas.

In other parts of the country, wood lathes can be found for the low prices many of you are talking about but not metal working lathes.

I think I'm in the same boat as OP in that whatever is available to turn metal in my area starts at $3000, is in need of a at least 100 hours of repair/servicing and at least $500 in parts[Which may not be available anymore]. There also almost always large production machines that will take up a massive amount of space and are setup for 3 phase.

All that said, can someone explain what makes LittleMachineShop.com's lathes that appear to be the same specs as the some of the other china lathes so much more expensive?

For example:
https://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=7500

...doesn't look to be to far away from this unit with more travel:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/264996323539

Yet the LittleMachineShop unit is $1,700 more after shipping. Does LMS do a complete teardown and rebuild to make sure everything is squared away or is it the same unit with a ton of markup but US based customer support?
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 2:11:46 PM EDT
[#25]
If on the fence about a mini. This guy makes a very compelling video in favor of owning one. I think it is safe to assume any of them will require tweaking and tuning.

What happened to hobby Chinese lathe Metal Master MML 1830 V in two years?

Link Posted: 3/14/2022 6:46:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
If on the fence about a mini. This guy makes a very compelling video in favor of owning one. I think it is safe to assume any of them will require tweaking and tuning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOSc5WcwHoo
View Quote

Just to be clear, he did far more than tweaking and tuning. He rescraped a significant number of the mating surfaces. That alone takes thousands in tools and many hours in labor.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 10:41:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Just to be clear, he did far more than tweaking and tuning. He rescraped a significant number of the mating surfaces. That alone takes thousands in tools and many hours in labor.
View Quote
My primal urge to fix often overpowers my financial prowess. -This Old Tony
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 6:06:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
My primal urge to fix often overpowers my financial prowess. -This Old Tony
View Quote

Haha, I have the same problem, and I like classic American iron. And things always "seem" cheaper before the list of deficiencies is 100% discovered and formed. I found far more problems with my Leblond than i thought it had when i bought it. I probably would have walked away if i knew them all.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 6:16:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Haha, I have the same problem, and I like classic American iron. And things always "seem" cheaper before the list of deficiencies is 100% discovered and formed. I found far more problems with my Leblond than i thought it had when i bought it. I probably would have walked away if i knew them all.
View Quote
I also have a Leblond I have been working on for over a year. Made the first cuts with it last week. I did not know enough when I bought it or I also would have passed on it but I am glad I have it now that I have invested enough money and time to make it worth a new TL-1660.
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 9:50:28 PM EDT
[#30]
@op I pushed the mini I got to the limits. I'm impressed with it. Of course it had a mountain of chatter and the motor didn't quite have enough torque but after making this plug gauge (8tpi) for my big one I'm happy with it.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/25/2022 12:26:12 PM EDT
[#31]
I wouldn’t discount the craftsman 6inch lathes. Pretty capable if you take small cuts and don’t try and run it like a big powerful lathe. I have had one for several years and they are great to learn on for those of us with limited room.

I’m not doing production work or making pieces of space shuttles but for smaller stuff they are great.
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 12:46:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
9x20 ... minimum.

And you’ll want a QCTP of some kind. 4-tool posts suck major ass. And you’ll want to replace any plastic gears with with metal gears. Buy several belts.

And all that is just to have decently usable lathe.  You haven’t spent a dime on “tools”.  You’ll need live centers, feelers, calipers, depth gauges, steady rest, ... CUTTING tools.

View Quote

^^^^^^
This post. End of discussion.

Just upgraded from a Grizzly 9x19 to a Clausing Colchester. Started with a 7x12 and found the 9x19 much easier to work with.
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 12:58:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Talk you out of it?  Ok.

They fucking suck and are only a hair better than a proper assortment of hand files.  Lacking any real rigidity, your cuts will be shallow and ugly, like your ex girlfriend.  They don't enough power to hurt themselves...or any alloy steel.  The tail stock quill fits like a trailer hitch and the body is painted in like fashion.  1 drive belt?  Well, that makes a nice clutch....which they don't have.  Real lathes have clutches, at least 3.  Single phase....gay.  

Luckily they're light enough to be placed in the garbage without hurting your back.

How'd I do?  
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 1:07:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Talk you out of it?  Ok.

They fucking suck and are only a hair better than a proper assortment of hand files.  Lacking any real rigidity, your cuts will be shallow and ugly, like your ex girlfriend.  They don't enough power to hurt themselves...or any alloy steel.  The tail stock quill fits like a trailer hitch and the body is painted in like fashion.  1 drive belt?  Well, that makes a nice clutch....which they don't have.  Real lathes have clutches, at least 3.  Single phase....gay.  

Luckily they're light enough to be placed in the garbage without hurting your back.

How'd I do?  
View Quote
Bravo lol
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 11:29:54 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Talk you out of it?  Ok.

How'd I do?  
View Quote

Spot on!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top