Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/27/2022 6:51:05 AM EDT
Who sells good ones?  I will probably never shoot it,  but I want it to be real, to hang on the wall.

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 6:52:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Do you want to build it or buy it?
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 6:53:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Its hard to find traditional looking muzzleloaders anymore. Everyone wants the synthetic stocked ones that use shotgun primers.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 6:56:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Track of the Wolf
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 6:58:05 AM EDT
[#4]
I want a British Whitworth like Jack Hinson used….. Next time I'm up that way I'm going to pay my respects at his grave site.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 6:59:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 7:00:24 AM EDT
[#6]
I highly recommend going to their spring or fall shoot if you can.

https://www.nmlra.org/muzzleloader-kits
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 7:00:42 AM EDT
[#7]
TotW

Dixon's muzzleloading
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 7:02:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Long Rifle

Plenty of places that build traditional long rifles, just depends on what you want.  

Long Rifle Reading Book
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 7:07:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Track of the Wolf
View Quote

wow,  wasn't anticipating those prices.  3K is a little much.    

Anywhere thats like 1200?
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 7:10:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks all

Wanted something cool to decorate my basement bar,   thought about medieval swords or something,  alot of people look up their ancestor and get into that trying to find an identity,  but I'm American,  thats all the ancestry I want.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 7:11:12 AM EDT
[#11]
A Pennsylvania Long Rifle?
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 7:17:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Pedersoli will fit the bill.

You may want to try shooting it though.
They are super guns and cheap to shoot.Attachment Attached File

The top flintlock is a Kibler requires work to finish it but a really nice gun.

I handled the Pedersoli rifles they shoot good and need no finishing
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 7:18:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

ha,  yes.  I'm in Ohio so I would actually like something that would have been used in this area.

However looking at all these sites it looks like its very hard to just order one.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 7:49:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 7:52:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Exactly
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 7:56:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Its hard to find traditional looking muzzleloaders anymore. Everyone wants the synthetic stocked ones that use shotgun primers.
View Quote

Not really true at all. Supply chain issues have made it a little tougher, but plenty out there.

First OP, that's more of a generic term, but also a specific one. Do you want a lean Souther Mountain Rifle style, or a deeper bellied stock of a Kentucky or Pennsylvania? A Lancaster, or a Leman style? Colonial, or a "woods runner" type? And flintlock or percussion?

Traditions are basic, lower tiered models, but have served many well. Pedersoli makes good mid tier rifles, but have on occasion had troubles with the locks. Mine is fine.

If you're reasonably skilled with your hands, and it really doesn't take much, you can build a Kibler kit yourself, and have a great rifle.

Two I have right now. A Pedersoli Frontier (SMR), and a Traditions Tennessee rifle (shorty).

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/27/2022 7:57:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Pedersoli will fit the bill.

You may want to try shooting it though.
They are super guns and cheap to shoot.https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/80067/E61BFF4B-EB71-4CAA-A946-3674C2CBA940_jpe-2540984.JPG

The top flintlock is a Kibler requires work to finish it but a really nice gun.

I handled the Pedersoli rifles they shoot good and need no finishing
View Quote

@Chuck25 I need details on that display!

ETA: OP, are you planning on shooting it at all, or just a display? You could buy the cheapest swamp donkey off of GB if you just want a display. If you want a starter shooter, look at Traditions. Lyman and Thomson Cener are good beginners as well.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 8:08:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Kibler kit.  Build your own.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 8:10:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Its going to be mostly display,  however I want it to be a real rifle.   I mostly would want a rifle that would have been used in the Ohio area 1740s-1800.   Lots of good Ohio history then.    Seems like there is no place to just order,  have to go to a store.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 8:11:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

The only gun that needs a synthetic stock is the Ferguson which is weak b/c of wood removed  for the breech plug.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 8:12:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I want a British Whitworth like Jack Hinson used….. Next time I'm up that way I'm going to pay my respects at his grave site.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/27/2022 8:13:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hinson didn't use a Whitworth and my research showed that minie guns were not adopted by civilians.  There were some picket bullets used by target shooters.  Hinson's gun was round ball.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 8:13:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Don't discount smooth bores either. They were more common than rifles, and are usually cheaper. Clay Smith makes nice guns too, but they are pricey. Indian trade guns were very common in the 1740s-1790s, even for white settlers. Check out these trade guns for something unusual.

https://claysmithguns.com/Blue_Trade_Gun.htm
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 8:17:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Its going to be mostly display,  however I want it to be a real rifle.   I mostly would want a rifle that would have been used in the Ohio area 1740s-1800.   Lots of good Ohio history then.    Seems like there is no place to just order,  have to go to a store.
View Quote

A lot of "Ohio" style are half stocks, similar to a half stock Hawken.

This wouldn't be a bad way to start.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/946302195
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 8:19:23 AM EDT
[#25]
Start with googling Ed Rayl and go out from there.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 8:21:03 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

ha,  yes.  I'm in Ohio so I would actually like something that would have been used in this area.

However looking at all these sites it looks like its very hard to just order one.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you want Ohio specific from the flintlock era, you'd probably want whatever Indians were lugging around, which is going to be some sort of smoothbore trade musket.

Ohio gun makers didn't come until much later and are of a later design that probably isn't what you're looking for. Early flintlock rifles that did venture into 18th century, or very early 19th century Ohio almost for surely would have been made in eastern PA. That being said, if you're looking for an actual antique Ohio made gun, they will be much cheaper. But later.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 8:24:56 AM EDT
[#27]
I got mine on Gunbroker a few years back. I specifically wanted a .50 cal Kentucky rifle with a one piece stock. I stripped the shiny varnish and oiled the woodwork, aged the brass with ammonia and treated the barrel to some Birchwood Casey Plum Brown. I also made a full length ramrod.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/27/2022 8:25:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Pedersoli is a good starter rifle..   I got mine here years ago.  Cherrys
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 8:32:46 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

A German Jäeger Rifle?
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 8:36:52 AM EDT
[#30]
I’d like to find one too. It’s hard to even find authentic flintlocks that haven’t been converted to percussion over the years.

Sad thing is some real longrifles are almost the same price of having one custom built today. Last guy I talked to, a Fowler was running around $1,500 and rifles were $2,500. This was Pre Covid

I’d like to apprentice under somebody who custom builds.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 8:38:05 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

A German J eger Rifle?
View Quote

One of my next rifles!

OP, if you're wanting a full stock, this model is fairly well regarded, and this is a pretty good price, if you can get it at the starting price.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/949200953
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 8:41:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I'd like to find one too. It's hard to even find authentic flintlocks that haven't been converted to percussion over the years.

Sad thing is some real longrifles are almost the same price of having one custom built today. Last guy I talked to, a Fowler was running around $1,500 and rifles were $2,500. This was Pre Covid

I'd like to apprentice under somebody who custom builds.
View Quote

There's a number out there. You have to know where to look. And yeah, if you want a true 18th or 19th century, you're going to pay. And a lot of those you can't shoot.

What's your budget? Do you want a production, a kit build, or a custom build?
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 8:51:42 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I’d like to find one too. It’s hard to even find authentic flintlocks that haven’t been converted to percussion over the years.

View Quote

Real ones are way, way more expensive. Many sell in the six figures. Many mediocre ones sell for more than the most elaborate contemporary ones you could have custom built.

A well built custom contemporary version is going to be 5k plus. A nice kit like a Kibler is still going to be a couple grand, as that's mostly materials cost. Unless you want some Indian or Pakistani stuff.

On the upper end, this custom builder is a good friend of mine, Allen Martin. Some of these guys have waiting lists and the guns, last I checked ran 10k-20k.

Link Posted: 9/27/2022 8:51:50 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is the way
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 8:55:24 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

There's a number out there. You have to know where to look. And yeah, if you want a true 18th or 19th century, you're going to pay. And a lot of those you can't shoot.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd like to find one too. It's hard to even find authentic flintlocks that haven't been converted to percussion over the years.

I’d like to have a custom to make as an heirloom but I’d be happy with just a shooter. All I’ve ever wanted was something that would make Boone or Kenton, happy.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 8:57:11 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Real ones are way, way more expensive. Many sell in the six figures. Many mediocre ones sell for more than the most elaborate contemporary ones you could have custom built.

A well built custom contemporary version is going to be 5k plus. A nice kit like a Kibler is still going to be a couple grand, as that's mostly materials cost. Unless you want some Indian or Pakistani stuff.

On the upper end, this custom builder is a good friend of mine, Allen Martin. Some of these guys have waiting lists and the guns, last I checked ran 10k-20k.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/277223/5C5C50B2-411B-4463-BDEB-400E49467C3F-2442361.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/277223/5C5C50B2-411B-4463-BDEB-400E49467C3F-2442361.jpg

Jesus H. Ok well the local guys charge around 3k they’re probably not master gunsmiths like the guys who charge 10-20
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 9:00:52 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

To be fair, you can get into a fully serviceable rifle, and not have an Indian clone, for reasonable money. Even a Kibler can be done for less than $2K.

The examples you posted in that pic are clearly at the very high end of custom builds.

Here's a good senior custom for a fair price, under $1500.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/948427857
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 9:01:06 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

@Chuck25 I need details on that display!

ETA: OP, are you planning on shooting it at all, or just a display? You could buy the cheapest swamp donkey off of GB if you just want a display. If you want a starter shooter, look at Traditions. Lyman and Thomson Cener are good beginners as well.
View Quote

The wood is from sin reclaimed boards on the farm.  I screwed them into studs.

The top rifle is a Kibler Colonial 50 caliber
No. 2 is a Springfield Trapdoor 45-70
No. 3 Pedersoli Sharps 45-70 Q down under
A colt navy and a cap and ball single shot.

Also a tradition Hawken.

Link Posted: 9/27/2022 9:04:25 AM EDT
[#39]
Depends where you are at and how far you want to drive and how much you want to spend:

Dixons Muzzleloading Shop Kempton PA.  They have a weekend meet where loads of makers come and you can buy or get custom work.  Their shop has loads of rifles and other stuff.

https://www.facebook.com/dixonmlshop/

Cabelas at Hamburg is only a couple of miles away also.

Link Posted: 9/27/2022 9:04:49 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I’d like to have a custom to make as an heirloom but I’d be happy with just a shooter. All I’ve ever wanted was something that would make Boone or Kenton, happy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Something ugly like this, and probably a smooth bore. This was an actual gun used on the frontier in the F&I war as well as the revolution. Smoothbore. Backwoods no frills stock. Frankengun of european musket parts. And also rifle sights. Sling swivels. This gun was at the battle of point pleasant, pretty close to Ohio. No doubt it went there. The guy it belonged to went into KY before Kenton and would likely have been with him, as well as Boone on many occasions. I think the real life frontier guns were pretty salty.

This is actually the original powder horn and strap that was with the gun since the 18th century:

Link Posted: 9/27/2022 9:09:53 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

To be fair, you can get into a fully serviceable rifle, and not have an Indian clone, for reasonable money. Even a Kibler can be done for less than $2K.

The examples you posted in that pic are clearly at the very high end of custom builds.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My kibler.

Link Posted: 9/27/2022 9:13:01 AM EDT
[#42]
Look here for an a kit that is very well regarding in terms of quality parts, and absolutely the easiest kit on the market to build. Many a novice have built one in little more than a weekend.

I'll be getting a SMR in a week or two.

Kibler's Longrifles

ETA: @LawyerUp is that the standard maple, or fancy? I'm going to ask Jim if he can find me a burl maple.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 9:13:36 AM EDT
[#43]
I plan to build a Kibler Colonial or Woodsrunner next year.  Kibler looks like the most accessible way to get an authentic American Long Rifle.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 9:22:47 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Look here for an a kit that is very well regarding in terms of quality parts, and absolutely the easiest kit on the market to build. Many a novice have built one in little more than a weekend.

I'll be getting a SMR in a week or two.

Kibler's Longrifles

ETA: @LawyerUp is that the standard maple, or fancy? I'm going to ask Jim if he can find me a burl maple.
View Quote

I have no woodworking talent, so I'm not sure, as I bought it from the guy who built it. I think I paid like 1750 for it and it cost him like 1500 IIRC.  I'd say it was fancy, as the reason I wanted it was that I liked the wood.

I looked into copying this Virginia rifle, which I own, and which is currently in the colonial rifle exhibit now in Lancaster, PA. The consensus, from names you would know, was to hire someone to go off a Kibler colonial. Which actually made it a reasonable prospect.

One thing I've realized though is that you will not be able to get your money out of the contemporary guns, if you want to, or need to. The antiques. You can. If they're not junk.

Link Posted: 9/27/2022 9:33:32 AM EDT
[#45]
This is a neat gun as well. This is probably what you would have seen in the backwoods frontier, mid 18th century.

We like to visualize them using rifles. But a smoothbore would have made much more sense. And were widely available. They wanted this gun at the Fort Pitt museum to show what likely came through there in the F&I period.

It could probably be reproduced pretty cheap.

https://scavengeology.com/the-flintlock-the-early-virginia-frontiersman-likely-would-have-carried/
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 9:34:17 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Something ugly like this, and probably a smooth bore. This was an actual gun used on the frontier in the F&I war as well as the revolution. Smoothbore. Backwoods no frills stock. Frankengun of european musket parts. And also rifle sights. Sling swivels. This gun was at the battle of point pleasant, pretty close to Ohio. No doubt it went there. The guy it belonged to went into KY before Kenton and would likely have been with him, as well as Boone on many occasions. I think the real life frontier guns were pretty salty.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/277223/48D0DE4B-8117-4944-936A-4B5DD001ED12-2541049.jpg

This is actually the original powder horn and strap that was with the gun since the 18th century:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/277223/6BCD4690-3901-488E-84BC-00FBDE9B9442-2541051.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/277223/48D0DE4B-8117-4944-936A-4B5DD001ED12-2541049.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/277223/6BCD4690-3901-488E-84BC-00FBDE9B9442-2541051.jpg

That is badass. I’d love to have something just like that.

The pretty custom rifles are cool but as far as being salty, you’re absolutely right. Boone and Kenton and all of the frontier guys went through many rifles.

There is a story of Boone in Ky by himself while his brother went back to Virginia. Middle of the night he is awoken by an indian hunting party. They take all of Boones skins and his nice rifle. The natives did not “steal” they “traded” him a worn out trade musket.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 9:45:39 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

The pretty custom rifles are cool but as far as being salty, you’re absolutely right. Boone and Kenton and all of the frontier guys went through many rifles.

There is a story of Boone in Ky by himself while his brother went back to Virginia. Middle of the night he is awoken by an indian hunting party. They take all of Boones skins and his nice rifle. The natives did not “steal” they “traded” him a worn out trade musket.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you haven't read the Allen Eckert books, I would recommend those. How closely they track real history doesn't matter, IMO. They sparked my interest in this stuff. It's a very small time period of American history that is just awesome. A lot of it is centered around Ohio too.

I'm a part-time metal detector. I'm in some FB groups with some guys from Ohio and Michigan. They find all sorts of cool Indian stuff. Musket parts, scalping knives, silver, etc. You can piece together a pretty good picture of what they were using. No doubt that included stolen rifles, as parts are found. I have another "rifle" that is pretty well known, no doubt made for an Indian chief. Very early. People disagree about which Indian chief. But this is probably my favorite rifle of all time. It's also been pretty widely reproduced by people.

This also could be reproduced pretty cheaply and is 100% right for the entire time period. Just got this back after it being on display at the fort pitt museum for 2 years. There's a guy who even sells kits I believe, with the actual brass mold hardware and repro barrel style.

https://scavengeology.com/the-rca-19-rifle-an-epic-mid-18th-century-flintlock-smooth-rifle-with-an-exciting-history/

More pics here: https://scavengeology.com/photos-from-our-private-tour-of-the-pittsburgh-virginia-exhibit-at-the-fort-pitt-museum/
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 10:05:39 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Start with googling Ed Rayl and go out from there.
View Quote

I had him rebore a rusted old barrel out to 20 gauge once. It shot fair with round balls out to ~50 yards. Certainly would have smacked a deer, but at the end of the day I just like rifled barrels better, so I sold it.

Also:

https://www.tvmnatchez.com/

Link Posted: 9/27/2022 10:10:33 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

You could order the parts and make one yourself
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 10:42:00 AM EDT
[#50]
While not a flintlock jts an original Potsdam used by Ohio in the Civil War. So you wpuld have an original weapon actually issued and used by Ohio troops

https://www.lodgewood.com/M1809-Potsdam-Conversion-Musket_p_5678.html
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top