Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 10:08:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

During WWII they started making them out of paper/cardboard type material. The Brits at least.
View Quote

The US had paper tanks, also.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 10:17:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
You have not lived until you have been stuck on a range detail, ran by a maniacal Spec5 from Guam, spending the day walking down Red Cloud Golf Range....winding up TOW wires.

Makes burning shit seem pleasant.
View Quote

was that a army requirement/ or a maniacal guamanian requirement??
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 10:20:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Tracked vehicles come along and clean the wires up.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/30/2021 11:17:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The wires are electrically cut inside the tube and fall to the ground.  As a general rule, we always hit the manual cut as a precaution.

I was part of a live fire demonstration in Germany back in 87.  I was forward in a screen when the scripted call for real arty came over the radio.  My cue to move back to a covered position closer to the observation stands. As I tucked between two trees, I saw a TOW wire slide up and over the canopy.

I was flying from the backseat and decided I better put it down, now, before the wire spooled up in the rotors.  I remembered an incident happening years prior where a OH58 got stuck up in a fence and the fence wire spooled up and the Kiowa flipped over.

Lots of dignitaries and visitors in the stands and I didn’t want to ruin the demonstration.  Also didn’t want live arty dropping on my head.  I accomplished a running landing then rolled the throttle back to idle in case we were tangled up.  I jumped out and ran around the a/c but didn’t find any wire.  I was very happy the Wire Strike Protection System did it’s job.

As I was strapping in, I yelled to the front seater to “Roll it up!” and we were out of there.

Total time on the ground, less than 2 minutes, no delays to the dog and pony show.  Requested to leave the range and straight back to parking to shut down and get a detailed inspection.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I had one of my squadron's Cobra's come back from shooting a TOW at 29  Palms with the wire wrapped around the rotor mast.   We were very fortunate with that one.  

TOW wire is fucking STRONG. We cut it off with bolt cutters.

The wires are electrically cut inside the tube and fall to the ground.  As a general rule, we always hit the manual cut as a precaution.

I was part of a live fire demonstration in Germany back in 87.  I was forward in a screen when the scripted call for real arty came over the radio.  My cue to move back to a covered position closer to the observation stands. As I tucked between two trees, I saw a TOW wire slide up and over the canopy.

I was flying from the backseat and decided I better put it down, now, before the wire spooled up in the rotors.  I remembered an incident happening years prior where a OH58 got stuck up in a fence and the fence wire spooled up and the Kiowa flipped over.

Lots of dignitaries and visitors in the stands and I didn’t want to ruin the demonstration.  Also didn’t want live arty dropping on my head.  I accomplished a running landing then rolled the throttle back to idle in case we were tangled up.  I jumped out and ran around the a/c but didn’t find any wire.  I was very happy the Wire Strike Protection System did it’s job.

As I was strapping in, I yelled to the front seater to “Roll it up!” and we were out of there.

Total time on the ground, less than 2 minutes, no delays to the dog and pony show.  Requested to leave the range and straight back to parking to shut down and get a detailed inspection.

There was a failure on the wire cutting squib.  

These were the last TOW missiles my squadron fired, December 2011.
TOW was a pain in the ass on AH-1Ws.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 11:55:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

was that a army requirement/ or a maniacal guamanian requirement??
View Quote

Definitely an Army requirement, but carried out with great zeal by SP5 Navvaro.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 4:32:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
the wires are attached till impact, then one of the crew members reels them in like a fishing pole.
View Quote

Wouldn’t that be a bit inefficient?
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 4:40:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
How thick are TOW wires?
Always wondered about that.
View Quote

I was about to ask the same thing, some of the posts indicate they are pretty thick, maybe like mechanic’s bailing wire, but not as soft?
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 4:46:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Huh.
"The wire from a TOW missile is secured at firing point 5 on range 19 at Fort McCoy, Wis., on March 14, 2016. "
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 4:47:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Attachment Attached File

ETA beat by a minute.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 4:49:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

They usually drop them empty. They just land where they land. So far every drop tank ever dropped off a plane has hit the earth 100% track record.
View Quote
Big if true.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 4:52:52 PM EDT
[#11]
I dont  know about choppers, but after our fight at Jalibah Airfield on 2-27-91, TOW wires were draped and tangled all over the outside of our Bradleys.

Nice to know your buddies were shooting TOWs all will-nilly over the battlefield.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 4:56:55 PM EDT
[#12]
I've fired a Javelin....

oh wait...

wrong missile.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 4:58:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Red Cloud Golf Range...
View Quote

Now thats a name I haven't heard in a long time.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 4:59:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Wire guided TOW are so 1970s.
RF guided TOW are so hot right now.

Kharn
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/1/2021 5:06:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Wire you asking?
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 5:08:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Drop tanks, they hit whatever.  Plenty of stories from WWII and Vietnam both about drop tanks smashing houses.  

I like the various alternate uses of drop tanks over the years: make shift Kegs, ambulance tubes, luggage storage.  On the ground they've been used for crazy make shift hot rods and motorcycles, boats, etc.

I've also wondered about the wires, and figured they just drapped across whatever between the shooter and the target.  Wonder if a cable ever snapped in flight, and what happens to the now-uncontrolled missile?  I presume some kind of fail safe kicks in, maybe straight and level into the ground?  Off to wiki....
View Quote

They also got creative with cluster bomb containers.

Link Posted: 8/1/2021 5:14:36 PM EDT
[#17]
What if it's fired from Marine 1?
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 5:19:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Kharn
View Quote

Doesn't the W in TOW literally stand for wire? I guess maybe it stands for wireless.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 5:21:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Doesn't the W in TOW literally stand for wire? I guess maybe it stands for wireless.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kharn

Yep. should be TORF.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 5:25:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

There you go…
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 5:25:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

They usually drop them empty. They just land where they land. So far every drop tank ever dropped off a plane has hit the earth 100% track record.
View Quote

There was that one time. And if you didn't actually see it git, did it really?
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 5:26:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Sorta along the same lines...What happens when a fighter jet that has external fuel tanks jettisons those tanks?  Are their parachutes in the tanks?  Or do they just crash/explode into the ground?
View Quote

They freefall to the ground.
They don't "explode".
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 5:29:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Those wires can cut the shit out of your legs when you're walking around those ranges wearing shorts.

Link Posted: 8/1/2021 5:30:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Wire cutters

ey, get me the wirecutters, ese
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 5:34:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Kharn
View Quote

that's wouldn't be a tow then, it would be a torf. you do understand what the "w" means, right?
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 5:35:32 PM EDT
[#26]
TOW wires

FORT MCCOY, WI, UNITED STATES
Photo by Jamal Wilson
Fort McCoy Multimedia Visual Information Branch  
The wire from a TOW missile is seen at firing point 5 on range 19 at Fort McCoy, Wis., on March 14, 2016. The BGM-71 TOW is a Tube-launched, Optically tracked, Wire-guided anti-tank missile currently manufactured by Raytheon. Photo by Jamal Wilson
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 5:39:28 PM EDT
[#27]
This is what an empty drop tank looks like after it "fell" off of an Indian MiG-29K.

Link Posted: 8/1/2021 5:48:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I've fired a Javelin....

oh wait...

wrong missile.
View Quote
You kids and your Javelins. In my day, we fired Dragon Missiles and we were glad to have them.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 5:56:52 PM EDT
[#29]
So question I always assume or question or what. But I've never heard a legit answer.

Where does the spoiled wire come from? Does it come from the rocket or from the launch tube.

If it's the launch tube wouldn't that shit get hung up on bs? I just didn't know.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 6:05:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Tanks drive around and collect them in their tracks
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 6:58:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
So question I always assume or question or what. But I've never heard a legit answer.

Where does the spoiled wire come from? Does it come from the rocket or from the launch tube.

If it's the launch tube wouldn't that shit get hung up on bs? I just didn't know.
View Quote
It's in the missile, which is contained in a throw-away tube that has the wires terminated in it.

The wires have to be recovered from any ranges because they are a deadly hazard to anyone who happens to be a head higher than they are - and they tend to be strung over trees.

Luckily Range Control has electric reels that wind that shit up, but it sucks when they break.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 7:01:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Huh.
"The wire from a TOW missile is secured at firing point 5 on range 19 at Fort McCoy, Wis., on March 14, 2016. "
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/145185/R90F1D-2036233.jpg
View Quote
You have to wrap the spent wire around a stick, cut the wire from the tube, then wrap that wire on the red range pole so the recovery detail can find them when it's time to reel them in.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 7:10:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
It's in the missile, which is contained in a throw-away tube that has the wires terminated in it.

The wires have to be recovered from any ranges because they are a deadly hazard to anyone who happens to be a head higher than they are - and they tend to be strung over trees.

Luckily Range Control has electric reels that wind that shit up, but it sucks when they break.
View Quote

I can tell you that this device was non existent in 1984.... Unless this device looks like a PFC with a stick....

Link Posted: 8/1/2021 10:48:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

that's wouldn't be a tow then, it would be a torf. you do understand what the "w" means, right?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kharn

Institutional momentum is a hell of a thing.

Raytheon calls it "Tube-launched, Optically-tracked, Wireless-guided" to still give it the TOW acronym.

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 10:55:24 PM EDT
[#35]
For us ground based TOW gunners, wire recovery on a TOW range, especially with movers,can be a miserable part of range clearance. Range control is never happy

I would think that the air crews never have to deal with wire. It's just gone and snapped off and drapped over the countryside below
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 7:05:12 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I can tell you that this device was non existent in 1984.... Unless this device looks like a PFC with a stick....

View Quote

We sometimes used the telephone wire reels, if we had some on our vehicles
Otherwise it was a stick
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 7:24:39 AM EDT
[#37]
IIRC the wire is pretty thin but ridiculously strong. The stuff I had to unwrap from the drive sprocket and final drive of an M-60 was a reddish-copper color like the hair of a pretty Irish  redhead girl. That stuff is the devil though. It cut through the oil seal of the final drive and deadlined the vehicle.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 8:22:35 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Lmao yep you win this thread.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lmao yep you win this thread.

Tracks are wire magnets.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 8:41:02 AM EDT
[#39]
They went, "Sproooiiinnnggg".
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 8:49:08 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
How thick are TOW wires?
Always wondered about that.
View Quote

So much so that they are issued a girth certificate. Ladies love them. The wires on the Japanese Apache fired TOWs are not nearly as girthy or long. That's why Japan can't field
an offensive military.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 9:04:38 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
IIRC the wire is pretty thin but ridiculously strong. The stuff I had to unwrap from the drive sprocket and final drive of an M-60 was a reddish-copper color like the hair of a pretty Irish  redhead girl. That stuff is the devil though. It cut through the oil seal of the final drive and deadlined the vehicle.
View Quote

holy shit that's bad
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 9:18:08 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Sorta along the same lines...What happens when a fighter jet that has external fuel tanks jettisons those tanks?  Are their parachutes in the tanks?  Or do they just crash/explode into the ground?
View Quote

Saw a YouTube video where the locals make them into canoes.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 9:25:24 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Kharn
View Quote

If it's RF guided is it still a TOW or is it a TORF or something?
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 3:16:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kharn

Tube Launched, Optically Tracked, Wireless.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 3:32:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I've heard that if you overlube them, they do. But i also hear the Italians like to use maranara as a cable lube, and have no issues.
View Quote

So... deadly to the enemy AND a tasty snack.  Nice.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 3:35:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Yes, but to clarify for others.. During peacetime or not in a hostile area they are rarely dropped.  They are reused and maintained regularly.  They would only be dropped in an emergency.

During an actual confilct or mission etc, they could/would be dropped after emptying.
View Quote

I remember seeing an article of picture a while back about the Vietnamese using them to make canoes/boats
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 3:45:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

During WWII they started making them out of paper/cardboard type material. The Brits at least.
View Quote

And the fronts fell off.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 3:49:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

They don't "explode".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They don't "explode".

They should release them while inverted.....no worries about them hitting anything if they go up
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 3:57:16 PM EDT
[#49]
They get hung up in the rotor shaft

It's called flying with wire
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 3:59:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

There's big fluffy pillows that pop out of the bottom of the external tanks to cushion the landing.  They wouldn't want to hurt anyone that they just bombed.  
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top