Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2021 4:57:12 PM EDT
Head canted to one side, seems disorientated and can't stand.  We went to a park she's familiar with and she wanted to walk but kept collasping.  The vet couldn't put her down today so it's 8 am tomorrow.
Link Posted: 8/17/2021 5:13:00 PM EDT
[#1]
That sucks.
Link Posted: 8/17/2021 6:09:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Ugghhh so sorry to hear that ??
Link Posted: 8/17/2021 6:18:04 PM EDT
[#3]
So sorry OP
Link Posted: 8/17/2021 6:18:33 PM EDT
[#4]
google old dog disease.
Do not put your dog down yet.
My vet wanted to put our dog down.
But dog seemed fine but just acted drunk as fuck.
Called a Vet friend. He said it was old dog disease.
Glad I called him.
My dog lived for 2 more years.

https://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/neurological/vestibular-disease-dogs
Link Posted: 8/17/2021 6:23:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I’m sorry.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2021 6:35:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Prayers.
Link Posted: 8/17/2021 6:38:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Prayers.
View Quote

That sucks, I’m sorry

Not sure why it quoted that.

Prayers for you.
Link Posted: 8/17/2021 6:45:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
google old dog disease.
Glad I called him.

View Quote

This is a real thing. A family member has a boxer that has a bad day every few weeks but for the most part still gets around well. Symptoms were very stroke like at onset.
Link Posted: 8/17/2021 7:04:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
google old dog disease.
Glad I called him.

View Quote

Quoted:

This is a real thing. A family member has a boxer that has a bad day every few weeks but for the most part still gets around well. Symptoms were very stroke like at onset.
View Quote

Thanks guys for giving me hope.
Link Posted: 8/17/2021 7:18:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Took me a minute, I thought you were talking about Palin.
Link Posted: 8/17/2021 7:26:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thanks for the laffs.  Sarah was named after the Biblical Sarah and not a politician.
Link Posted: 8/17/2021 7:37:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/17/2021 7:38:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
google old dog disease.
Glad I called him.

My GSP had it a couple times at about 12 years of age and was back to normal within a day.  Lived fine another 2.5 years w no residual effects.

Scary to witness

Used to work as a vascular sales rep and presentation was very strokelike.
Incapacitating vertigo and eyes were twitching horizontally appx 2x per second

Helped the dog feel more comfortable by putting him in the crook of a couch back/armrest so he was supported on 2 sides and didn't feel like he was falling.

See if you can ride it out

Link Posted: 8/17/2021 7:39:17 PM EDT
[#14]
So sorry
Link Posted: 8/17/2021 7:46:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Sorry about your pal, I hope it's something treatable.
Link Posted: 8/17/2021 7:46:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Sad. Sorry OP.
Link Posted: 8/17/2021 7:51:51 PM EDT
[#17]
I thought my Mal had a stroke, but it was vestibular disease, and he recovered fine.

Link Posted: 8/18/2021 1:37:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Any update on Sarah?
Link Posted: 8/18/2021 10:26:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Sarah was able to walk on her own and move into another room.  That gave me hope. The vet said I could give her 325 mg aspirin so I'm doing that.  She walked a little this afternoon and her head isn't as crooked.  It's a stroke,  but she may be able to recover.  Thanks everyone for your well wishes.
Link Posted: 8/19/2021 7:27:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Sarah was able to walk on her own and move into another room.  That gave me hope. The vet said I could give her 325 mg aspirin so I'm doing that.  She walked a little this afternoon and her head isn't as crooked.  It's a stroke,  but she may be able to recover.  Thanks everyone for your well wishes.
View Quote

Please keep us updated, prayers for a healthy recovery.
Link Posted: 8/19/2021 7:43:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Vestibular disease- most common cause is idiopathic, if it is benign she will be significantly better in1 to 2 days. Treatment is symptomatic, just controlling the nausea an anxiety and keeping them hydrated and fed.
Link Posted: 8/19/2021 9:36:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Lip on right side of jaw is sagging.  Doc thinks it's stroke.  

Threw up last night on her bed.  I had a movers' blanket on it so I just put the blanket outside, moved her to another room and cleaned up her paws.

She ate quite a bit of cooked chicken breast this morning. It was coated with PetOPC and an aspirin was snuck inside of it.

Anyway, after breakfast Sarah got up and walked from one room to another.  She needed to go potty.  I carried her outside and left her standing so she could squat and go.  She fell after a few steps so I carried her back inside.  She refused her dried chicken treat (local lady freezes chicken breast, slices it thin on a deli/meat market type slicer, cooks them in broth and then dries them in the oven.  Sarah loves those chicken treats too.
Link Posted: 8/19/2021 7:00:51 PM EDT
[#23]
More prayers.
Link Posted: 8/19/2021 7:25:01 PM EDT
[#24]
I had to use a towell to hold her hind legs up so she could pee amd not fall over.
I had to carry her up/down the stairs.

It took a few days at least before she got better.
They have to reestablish their equilibrium.  

Prayers for Sarah

Link Posted: 8/20/2021 11:16:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Took Sarah out today and we went to a rest stop she is very familiar with.  She was very happy to be out of the house and in a place she liked.  We stayed for about twenty minutes and then it was dinner!
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 3:02:55 AM EDT
[#26]
Prayers, OP.
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 3:15:37 AM EDT
[#27]
I had a dog that actually did have a stroke once.   Whole right half of his face (and ear) went limp, he had some coordination issues that seemed like weakness on that side also.   Made what seemed to be a full recovery in about 3-6 months and lived 2 or 3 more years.   Each situation and medical event is unique, but seriously don't give up hope yet.
Link Posted: 8/26/2021 5:13:46 PM EDT
[#28]
We went to her favorite park today (Friday) and she got to splash once in the river.  I kept a rolled up beach towel around her waist to help support her when she began to stumble but she did really good and was very happy to be out of the house and in a park she likes.

Then I ruined her day by taking her to the dog wash (coin operated) and bathing her.  She smells like soap - exactly how a dog should smell like.
Link Posted: 8/26/2021 5:15:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Terribly sorry. Prayers sent.
Link Posted: 8/26/2021 5:15:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/26/2021 9:59:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
We went to her favorite park today (Friday) and she got to splash once in the river.  I kept a rolled up beach towel around her waist to help support her when she began to stumble but she did really good and was very happy to be out of the house and in a park she likes.

Then I ruined her day by taking her to the dog wash (coin operated) and bathing her.  She smells like soap - exactly how a dog should smell like.
View Quote

OP, I've read the updates. Glad things are improving!
Link Posted: 8/26/2021 10:33:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Thanks for the laffs.  Sarah was named after the Biblical Sarah and not a politician.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

God also said to Abraham, "As for Sarai your wife, you are no longer to call her Sarai; her name will be Sarah. I will bless her and will surely give you a son by her. I will bless her so that she will be the mother of nations; kings of peoples will come from her." Genesis 17:15–16, NIV)

Link Posted: 8/28/2021 11:21:02 AM EDT
[#33]
Glad you're hanging in with dear Sarah, 4v50.

We've had countless dogs who, one minute seem at death's door, and than--POOF! a miracle happens and they get better. Most don't come back 100% but often they do. Stick with her.

You're a GOOD MAN! Sarah really appreciates all you're doing for her.
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 8:11:37 PM EDT
[#34]
I've been using a rolled up towel to help Sarah get up.  So, I bought a PetSafe harness that has carrying handles front and rear.  On Sunday Sarah pulled away during a walk to get away from a laundrymat (ever since she saw some older white guys in there she's scared of the place) and fell between the sidewalk and a parked car.  That handle made it real easy to help her up and now she knows why I have it.  It really saves on the back (she's about 65 lbs) and the knees (don't have to squat, keep back straight, then stand up to lift her).

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/4/2021 9:59:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Sarah and I did a two mile hike today.  She didn't want to get into the car and wanted to keep walking.  Me?  I had it.  Time to call it quits and to go home.
Link Posted: 11/5/2021 7:59:01 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Sarah and I did a two mile hike today.  She didn't want to get into the car and wanted to keep walking.  Me?  I had it.  Time to call it quits and to go home.
View Quote

Great update. Glad to hear Sarah is getting along well.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top