Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/7/2022 8:58:17 PM EDT
I need another hobby.
The last time I turned wood (spindle) was half a century ago in high school and I enjoyed it.
I currently have absolutely no wood power tools at all so I have to start buying stuff (I do have access to a band saw and table saw).
I'm looking at this PSI wood lathe, does anyone use one or have an opinion (I'm trying to keep this entry level at ~$500) and I'm not interested in big project turning?
https://www.pennstateind.com/store/KWL-1018VS.html

I'm also considering carbide tools since I currently have no way of sharpening traditional gouges, eventually I plan on having both - thoughts?

Link Posted: 7/7/2022 9:44:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Wood turning is a good and sometimes frustrating pastime. I started with pens. Learned on readily available wood, walnut, maple and a friend had a blown down sycamore. When I got experienced with CA glue finishes and preventing color bleed, I started getting into exotics. I like making segmented pens with three colors/species of wood in each. I sold several pens but it took three fun out of it for me. My biggest frustration is the difficulty finding quality pen kit hardware. Most pencil kits are fragile, only the titanium gold plating is worth buying, clear coat over plating isn't durable enough for my liking. Berea Hardwoods, Exotic Blanks and Woodturningz were my main sources. I did make a Chess set for my daughter. I bought the duplicator attachment from Penn State to make the pieces using my own patterns. I also made some decorative but houses.Attachment Attached File
I tried turning small bowls, but my midi lathe doesn't have the power to do hardwood much more than 3 inches, but the grain in the North Carolina live oak piece I did was intriguing.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/7/2022 10:16:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I started turning two years ago, somewhat on a whim. It was probably a pandemic thing, but I turned out to really enjoy it. I intended to turn a baseball bat, since I play baseball. That was a pretty ambitious first project.

I bought this:

https://wenproducts.com/collections/lathes/products/wen-34027-12-inch-by-15-three-fourths-inch-variable-speed-multi-directional-wood-lathe

...along with an extension table that would let me turn something the size of a bat. The first thing I did was turn a small spindle that has been my daughters' "magic wand" for the last two plus years. The second thing was a bat. This one, actually:

Attachment Attached File

Since then I've been turning lots of things - the salt and pepper shakers we use every day, bottle openers, wine stoppers, salt and pepper mills, bowls, you name it. I would recommend a "budget" lathe before you spend the money on a good one. Though honestly I'm still using the WEN and I have had absolutely zero problems with it.

Other than that, yes, get carbide tools. I bought a few chisels and gouges as part of a set to start with (HSS) and they got dull very quickly. I went to carbide quickly and have never looked back. Only my parting tools are HSS and I'll probably replace those soon too.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 1:10:45 PM EDT
[#3]
For that money, I'd likely go with Rikon if I was buying new.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 1:34:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For that money, I'd likely go with Rikon if I was buying new.
View Quote

Yeah, I'm looking at the Rikon also.
The main reasons I'm leaning toward the PSI KWL-1018VS is because it has a 3/4hp motor instead of a 1/2hp and it also has an electronic variable speed control.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 10:30:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Get one with enough diameter capacity to turn some bowls - 12"
And you can still make pens
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 11:48:00 PM EDT
[#6]
I've been thinking about it too. I came across Jack Mack on YouTube. He doesn't speak. He just turns wood. It seems relaxing and gratifying. Like blocking out a car before paint.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 11:02:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've been thinking about it too. I came across Jack Mack on YouTube. He doesn't speak. He just turns wood. It seems relaxing and gratifying. Like blocking out a car before paint.
View Quote
Yeah, I've watched some of his vids.
Oliver Gomis is another one of those guys that just turns wood into some fabulous pieces - https://www.youtube.com/c/OlivierGomis/videos
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 1:20:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Its been one of my favorite things to do.   If you can skip buying astronomy stuff for a month or two and get a laguna midi, I love mine.  

You can get a grinder for $45 to sharpen the tools and its not too hard.   I’ve buy using Sorby tools and really like them.

I stop by the local dump for yard waste once a week to grab free wood for bowl turning
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 1:42:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm also considering carbide tools since I currently have no way of sharpening traditional gouges, eventually I plan on having both - thoughts?
View Quote

Aren't carbide tools all scrapers?  Screw that, a sharp gouge and skew are soooo much better than scraping.  A sharpening system is part of the price of admission.  Also, lathes should be free... they just get you in the door, then they take you to the cleaners on chisels.

Quoted:
Other than that, yes, get carbide tools. I bought a few chisels and gouges as part of a set to start with (HSS) and they got dull very quickly. I went to carbide quickly and have never looked back. Only my parting tools are HSS and I'll probably replace those soon too.
View Quote

Well, you're dragging the chisel over as much as a MILE of wood per minute, so yeah, they dull.  But not all HSS is the same... if you buy "M2 HSS" turning chisels from Harbor Freight and some M2 HSS turning chisels forged in Sheffield, England, there is night and day difference.  And cutting is soooo much better than scraping.  Watch the Alan Batty and the Alan Lacer videos on the skew, and be prepared to be blown away.  Sure, sharpening takes a little time, but it's super worth it.  You want to be slicing and throwing long shavings all over the place at a ridiculous rate, not scraping.
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 5:49:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yeah, I'm looking at the Rikon also.
The main reasons I'm leaning toward the PSI KWL-1018VS is because it has a 3/4hp motor instead of a 1/2hp and it also has an electronic variable speed control.
View Quote

I own a Rikon and do a lot of business with Penn State.

If I needed a lathe to get into the hobby today, I'd go with the one from Penn State.  

When I upgrade my lathe I'm looking at a Harvey but that's outside of your budget.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top