Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 11
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 8:22:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Anybody know how to freeze dry/dehydrate hot pockets? Asking for my mom.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 8:24:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Besides war time or the great depression, when has food ever been scarce in the US?
View Quote

We're on the brink of war + depression.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 8:27:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Considering how ridiculously cheap bulk food is - I'd be inclined to agree.

It's no different from any other form of insurance: You're paying for peace of mind, knowing full well that you probably won't need it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My dad has always been one for old folksy sayings.
There's an appropriate one for this discussion
Better to have and not need than need and not have

Considering how ridiculously cheap bulk food is - I'd be inclined to agree.

It's no different from any other form of insurance: You're paying for peace of mind, knowing full well that you probably won't need it.

First lesson learned when buying bulk food - Fuck the Food Bank; food is cheap. If people are starving, it's because they're lazy. I think someone said something about those who don't work should not eat....
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 8:30:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Food has been used by .gov to manipulate people for centuries.

Don't forget....stay gray.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 8:31:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Besides war time or the great depression, when has food ever been scarce in the US?

Looks like the left has set a date.

Link Posted: 11/1/2020 8:50:31 AM EDT
[#6]
I went nuts about all this crap this year.  We always have food on hand for storms and such.  Maybe a month's worth of food.  But this year in March or so:

- Got the tools to hand drill a well.
- Built a 6x8 chicken coop and am raising 30 chickens
- Bought 6 months worth of food
- Planted 1/32 of an acre of winter wheat last week
- Purchased $125 worth of seeds to create a survival garden
- Purchased thermal to protect it

Quoted:
View Quote

The population has skyrocketed and we only eat so much because of:

- logistics
- low cost
- gmos/pesticide/etc

I live in a rural area.  I have 30 people who live on my little road.  Everyone here does "prepping".  NONE of them make their own food.

We all know the basic law of biology that populations will increase to meet the food supply and will crash if that supply drops.  Ours is waaayyyyy too artificially high with how efficient we make food.  If anything interrupts that, it's going to get ugly.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 9:09:28 AM EDT
[#7]
I have food reserves, just picked up some more coffee and powdered milk, oh and some flour & yeast.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 9:09:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Plenty of items were scarce and/or in short supply this year. It doesn't take much.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 9:13:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm not too worried about shitbags in NYC and Chicago and SF cutting my food supplies.
View Quote

You don't know how the system works at all.

Just in time doesn't take much to kill.

Link Posted: 11/1/2020 9:13:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
As long as you're rotating stocks so you're not wasting food/money by throwing stuff away, there's no good reason not to keep an emergency stockpile.  None.  Even in relatively peaceful times.
View Quote
This.
We've got two years of the food we eat on the property.
Beyond that we're worried about waste.
Four propane tanks just filled. Well with two ways to get water out of it.
And, a couple of guns.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 9:13:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Is there any kind of long shelf life food that isn't all carbs?
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 9:19:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Those times are enough to demonstrate to me that an emergency supply is a good idea.

But also pretty much every blizzard and hurricane.

There were shortages here when the 'rona hit, too.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 9:22:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'm not too worried about shitbags in NYC and Chicago and SF cutting my food supplies.
View Quote

Plot twist. Those NYC & Chicago shitbags WILL BE your food supply.........
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 9:23:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Lady Rodent says I'm paranoid for stocking up, but at some level I think she's glad I do.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 9:28:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Food
Water
Medical supplies
Hygiene supplies
Bullets
Batteries
Pet food

Add to your stockpiles just as you would your retirement account.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 9:36:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Protein is the most expensive to store, and frequently also requires refrigeration.  We bought several bags of protein powder from My Protein, it’s not perfect, but it’s a great shelf-stable method of having stored protein that will keep your diet balanced out better.

Oils are tougher for sure.  Tuna in the oil is a great way to have both protein and fats, but we’ve successfully stored vegetable oil and olive oil for several years by keeping it in cool dark places.  Olive oil lasts quite well when stored this way, but it will go rancid almost immediately if stored in a hot garage.

Canned veggies and fruit are good and have a better variety of nutritional value, but this year they’ve been hard to get and expensive.  I’ve tried to get my hands on everything I can, but it’s just been really slim supply all year on canned stuff.

For dairy it’s even tougher.  Powdered milk is expensive, but Morning Moo is the best brand.  Also get powdered eggs, the powdered cheese is not very good, it’s like the cheese packet in a box of Mac and cheese.  Butter is tough, but ghee is more stable, Costco sells it.

All that said.....  a good hard white wheat will be about 15% protein.  If you allow it to sprout and eat the young sprouts you will get a large amount of vitamins, in the Ukraine during Stalin’s purge people who stuffed their handful a day of wheat into their cheeks and allowed it to sprout were able to survive.  Simply eating the same wheat kernels did not have enough vitamin content to keep them alive.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 9:37:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Some of us have thought that for decades.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 9:39:00 AM EDT
[#18]
One of my life long buddies is a major league prepper.

Over the years he has spent a ton of money and time to prepare for a collapse that never happen.

He is in his 70s now and I suspect he will live out his life and never have to use what he has been preparing for.

I honestly think he has spent his money for peace of mind although I suspect that if the SHTF things not would necessary go the way he would hope.

Living in hurricane prone Florida I have enough food and other supplies to get by for a couple of months if need be.  However, if there is a real SHTF after that it will just be barter of my ammo fort to get food.

I am at an age now where I am not going to worry about it.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 9:39:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Canned meats like tuna, chicken, and others like these:

Lard is a pretty good LTS fat, Red Feather butter.

Had the same questions myself as a keto "prepper".  Learning home canning can help a lot in keeping the budget under control.

ETA:  And a laying flock of chickens.  
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 9:49:00 AM EDT
[#20]
And learn to grow your own. Hard decisions are coming.

If you want Employment, food or utilities you’ll comply or go without.

It might be a few months or a few years, but they’re coming.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 9:51:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

You should be worried about the globalists that own the food supply.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 9:53:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
As long as you're rotating stocks so you're not wasting food/money by throwing stuff away, there's no good reason not to keep an emergency stockpile.  None.  Even in relatively peaceful times.
View Quote

That’s just insane!!!
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 9:54:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

You should be worried about the globalists that own the food supply.
View Quote

And their extremely well published plans to end global capitalism.  Very, very soon.

Billions will die in that effort, from starvation and war, which is fought for food and resources.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 9:54:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I don’t trust our governments ability or willingness to stop leftists from making life extremely difficult for Americans.
View Quote

Gee, I don’t know what would make you say that?

End
Sarcasm
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 9:55:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Canned meats like tuna, chicken, and others like these:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/219829/keystone_PNG-1293010.png

Lard is a pretty good LTS fat, Red Feather butter.

Had the same questions myself as a keto "prepper".  Learning home canning can help a lot in keeping the budget under control.

ETA:  And a laying flock of chickens.  
View Quote

Plus, those chickens will take the place of your wife and or girlfriend if something happens to her......chickens need love too.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 9:56:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Wayyyyy ahead on that one.

Of course, the second fridge's compressor suddenly went to sounding like a diesel engine idling when it runs (broken springs) so we'll see how long it lasts.  Lots of food in the pantry...We can make it a while.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 9:57:20 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
And what are y'all gonna do when your food stores run out?
I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but you need to think beyond that.

Think of what you can grow and harvest in your yard, or even your own house/apartment. Things like alfalfa sprouts are delicious, nutritious, and can be grown indoors with only water.
Make sure you can harvest seeds from your crop, this means no hybrids, as usually hybrids seeds are infertile.

Think beyond two months, and no, its unlikely *most* of you will find a deer, or return from looking for one if a civil war or something big does happen.
View Quote

Great post.

A table spoon of seeds in a mason jar in a window is better nutrients than a multivitamin. Anyone can do that. Just rinse every day & keep in the fridge when they fill the jar or stop sprouting.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 9:58:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 10:01:42 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Noone is disagreeing with you
The food stores are a stopgap measure. Let's say that SHTF in December. Noone is growing anything until spring in that scenario. You need something to get you through the cold dark months.

And rightfully, stored seeds and such without the experience of what to do with them isn't enough either.  You need some practical experience on how to sustain yourself outside of going to the local grocery store if it's a real world collapse
View Quote

If you’ve got a fluorescent or LED desk lamp & indoor temps are above 60°F you can practice sprouting seeds in pots or even start them early for spring. It’s good practice to see how much water to give them before they rot or dry out.

Get seeds NOW! Hybrids for learning, heirlooms & open pollinated for experienced growers & saving seed each year.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 10:02:03 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Not disagreeing with you in any way BUT to take your stance one step further for the non believers.... What happens if you have a bum crop in the following spring/summer due to a late or early frost (OR summer of 1816)? Old country houses had, wood sheds, chicken coops, all those glass jars, large pantries and root cellars for a reason! My Dad told me in the depression, you could hardly find a deer or wild creature anywhere as they had mostly been eaten. The only way they survived was eating what they could grow. For the beans and rice crowd, think about "food fatigue".
View Quote

All  valid concerns.
Stack it deep.
Not a particularly religious guy anymore, but I think Josephs advice to Pharaoh on the issue of salting away food supplies for the lean times is timeless.

People who haven't raised food aren't going to magically plant seeds and have Jacks beanstalk spring up out of the ground to feed them. Its going to be a long haul.
In WW2, a time when many Americans were still much closer to the agricultural past than we are now, many Americans had to be taught how to properly raise Victory gardens

As far as food fatigue, also a real thing. The Irish made it for years on potato crops and not much variety because the cash crops were being shipped off to England, which is why the potato blight hit them so hard
It will suck for people who are used to a diverse menu.
Look at the recent thread where NYC residents who had fled that city went back because they claimed to not have decent sushi in the places they spent the summer hiding out from Covid.
People will adapt. If Scotch broth is all they have, it might get boring but it beats looking like a starving African child in a Sally Struthers commercial.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 10:02:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
being self sufficient for 30 days should be a no braininer for all of us if for no other reason than weather or natural disasters. been doing my normal stuff. got a load of apples in the freeze dryer now.
View Quote

Agreed.

But I’m not talking about 30 days.  I’m saying it behooves Americans to stack as deep as they can afford.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 10:03:13 AM EDT
[#32]
I always tell people there are 3 rules to preparedness.

1. Have access to clean water.
2. Have access to a food supply.
3. Have the means to deter others of 1 and 2.

I don't care in the least if someone chooses to not be prepared. I also don't care what they think about me being prepared.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 10:03:28 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 10:04:10 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Controlling the food supply is probably the most effective, direct way to control human beings.

When they want us to comply with something, they will make food scarce. "Wear the mask, or no going into the grocery store." "Get the vaccine, or you can't keep your job or go to school." Eventually it will be: "Submit to the new rulers and bow down and worship them, reject your Christianity, or take a trip to the camps." The masks are evil. They are literally a tool to train people to accept slavery. If only more people could see them for what they are, and where this is all leading us...

This is why we should be self-sufficient, live in small, tightly-knit, ideologically homogeneous communities, grow our own food, raise our own animals, and generally not need the government for anything.

Self-sufficiency is freedom.
View Quote

More crazy talk.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 10:05:32 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Who would have thought we live in a time where just wearing an article of clothing supporting the current President would get you labeled as a racist, assaulted and possibly murdered.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 10:08:16 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Chicken, tuna, corned beef, spam, vegis
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 10:09:23 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

when has .22 or 9mm been scarce?
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 10:09:54 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

That’s where currency and banking is controlled
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That’s where currency and banking is controlled

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 10:10:24 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Lady Rodent says I'm paranoid for stocking up, but at some level I think she's glad I do.
View Quote

This spring my wife told me how happy she was because of who I am and while moving in july was annoying we never went without anything
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 10:12:48 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No kidding. I hope he was goofing on us.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 10:15:28 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

That’s just insane!!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That’s just insane!!!

Just like ammo, buy it cheap - stack it deep. I’m currently using rice I packed in mylar from 2008.

Side note, I stopped by the grocery Friday to top off a few things. Place was packed, people are scared - it’s just like back in March when the Kung Flu first hit.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 10:18:21 AM EDT
[#42]
Why when you can have Liberals delivered?
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 10:21:01 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Looks like the left has set a date.

View Quote

It’s a fucking trap. Don’t leave your family.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 10:21:29 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Welcome to the US. Those of us that have lived here more than 6 months saw food shortages.
Don’t believe it can happen again?  Don’t believe it can be worse?  I hope you’re right. Not a bet I’m willing to make.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 10:24:00 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Whey, powdered eggs & dried meat.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 10:27:38 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I don’t trust our governments ability or willingness to stop leftists from making life extremely difficult for Americans.

It still, and maybe more every day, seems a good idea to stack food as deep as you can afford.
View Quote

I'm not buying into this yet. Maybe you're right... but I'm not doing what I did back in early march again.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 10:28:25 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
If you take meds don’t forget them. Also remember the four legged family member, Rover going to eat rice and beans? Dry food can be cheap.
View Quote

I’m an adult onset type 1 diabetic.  My insulin fort is amazing.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 10:29:20 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

And their extremely well published plans to end global capitalism.  Very, very soon.

Billions will die in that effort, from starvation and war, which is fought for food and resources.
View Quote

I think the only way they push fast is during chaos, otherwise it moves so slow most people don’t see it change.

Could go either way or both ways.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 10:30:27 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

Get some good protein powder - no, it’s no complete. But makes a great supplement to everything else you should have on hand. Lots of other options, canned chicken/tuna/etc. Ideally you should be stocking things that are close to your normal diet/food rotation.

Link Posted: 11/1/2020 10:30:47 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

To be fair when was the last time all toilet paper was sold out everywhere... 2020 is just built different.
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top