Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 11
Posted: 11/1/2020 3:10:21 AM EDT
I don’t trust our governments ability or willingness to stop leftists from making life extremely difficult for Americans.

It still, and maybe more every day, seems a good idea to stack food as deep as you can afford.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 3:16:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Interestingly enough the wife and I were talking about this after a trip to Costco today.

Saw no less than 10 freezers go out the door during that time. Pretty much every single cart had TP, paper towels and several cases of water. Lots of rice, beans and flour too.

Checked stock on those items as we wandered and sure enough it didn't look like there was enough to last the rest of the day.

We're pretty well stocked, but the wife agreed to spend some time down in our storage to inventory, organize and see what we can bulk up on.

Definitely planning on grabbing more rice, beans, yeast and flour.

ETA:

Our SHTF stuff is separate from our 'regular' food storage. We have a bunch of the freeze dried buckets (think Wise Company, Patriot Supply, etc.) that are strictly grab n go designated. Go bags are packed with MREs as well, we could go 30-45 days on what we have in grab n go gear depending on how far we want to stretch things.

This makes it easier to rotate stock around, since we're more apt to buy the type of stuff we'll typically use for food storage.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 3:23:12 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm not too worried about shitbags in NYC and Chicago and SF cutting my food supplies.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 3:25:22 AM EDT
[#3]
I got my wife to stock up  before the Covid panic hit. We have used some of it cause we bought most of what we use. I can’t convince her again due to the election.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 3:27:23 AM EDT
[#4]
@eesmith advised stocking up on food and fuel in her podcast. I did today, I have about 2 months of food stocked after today's Costco run.

https://open.spotify.com/show/2hkL95tgNvapO7FeDj52F3
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 3:28:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Finally convinced my better half. Picked up 75# morevrice and 15# more beans today.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 3:33:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm not too worried about shitbags in NYC and Chicago and SF cutting my food supplies.
View Quote

the panic spreads far wider than the actual destruction
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 4:02:19 AM EDT
[#7]
I grabbed a pack of tp today to insulate my bidet.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 4:02:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Besides war time or the great depression, when has food ever been scarce in the US?
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 4:23:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Besides war time or the great depression, when has food ever been scarce in the US?
View Quote

First time for everything.  I think its wise in this day and age to have some preps on hand.  Even a few weeks worth could make the difference if something bad happened.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 4:31:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

EXACTLY.

I was in the middle of the LA Riots, the big earthquake, the fires, and the fucking stores were all open like normal.

Yeah, you’re really gonna need 200#s of beans stored up.  Fuck, people in Sarajevo probably didnt need it.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 4:31:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I got my wife to stock up  before the Covid panic hit. We have used some of it cause we bought most of what we use. I can’t convince her again due to the election.
View Quote

Why would you have to convince her?  Just do it.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 4:33:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

My dad has always been one for old folksy sayings.
There's an appropriate one for this discussion
Better to have and not need than need and not have
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 4:36:45 AM EDT
[#13]
As long as you're rotating stocks so you're not wasting food/money by throwing stuff away, there's no good reason not to keep an emergency stockpile.  None.  Even in relatively peaceful times.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 4:42:08 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm good.

Americans are fat anyways. Can't hurt to go on a diet.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 4:56:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Have a Major Hurricane Supply, and since thankfully 'Space City' has avoided any hits or floods this season, I'm still pretty well stocked at the Hammer Haus.

Not a Mormon, but a big fan of their plan that every family should have months of food stocked up.   Way too many super market - corner store EBT FSA'ers who if the trucks don't run & computer don't release their payments, they don't eat.  

THAT is where the Trouble will come from...

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 5:05:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

My dad has always been one for old folksy sayings.
There's an appropriate one for this discussion
Better to have and not need than need and not have
View Quote

Considering how ridiculously cheap bulk food is - I'd be inclined to agree.

It's no different from any other form of insurance: You're paying for peace of mind, knowing full well that you probably won't need it.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 5:31:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Interestingly enough, I already did this.

Link Posted: 11/1/2020 5:46:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I don’t trust our governments ability or willingness to stop leftists from making life extremely difficult for Americans.

It still, and maybe more every day, seems a good idea to stack food as deep as you can afford.
View Quote

Good for you, just create more panic.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 5:51:54 AM EDT
[#19]
If you take meds don’t forget them. Also remember the four legged family member, Rover going to eat rice and beans? Dry food can be cheap.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 5:57:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Franks and beans!
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 5:58:17 AM EDT
[#21]
And what are y'all gonna do when your food stores run out?
I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but you need to think beyond that.

Think of what you can grow and harvest in your yard, or even your own house/apartment. Things like alfalfa sprouts are delicious, nutritious, and can be grown indoors with only water.
Make sure you can harvest seeds from your crop, this means no hybrids, as usually hybrids seeds are infertile.

Think beyond two months, and no, its unlikely *most* of you will find a deer, or return from looking for one if a civil war or something big does happen.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 5:59:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Two reasons.

1.  Some leftists are planning, or at least claiming, to disrupt the supply chain. Can they? Yeah, in some places.  

2.  Why plan on shopping during a hurricane, flood, fire or riots? Having a little food let’s you stay home and enjoy Netflix instead of playing Mad Max.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 6:03:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
And what are y'all gonna do when your food stores run out?
I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but you need to think beyond that.

Think of what you can grow and harvest in your yard, or even your own house/apartment. Things like alfalfa sprouts are delicious, nutritious, and can be grown indoors with only water.
Make sure you can harvest seeds from your crop, this means no hybrids, as usually hybrids seeds are infertile.

Think beyond two months, and no, its unlikely *most* of you will find a deer, or return from looking for one if a civil war or something big does happen.
View Quote

Noone is disagreeing with you
The food stores are a stopgap measure. Let's say that SHTF in December. Noone is growing anything until spring in that scenario. You need something to get you through the cold dark months.

And rightfully, stored seeds and such without the experience of what to do with them isn't enough either.  You need some practical experience on how to sustain yourself outside of going to the local grocery store if it's a real world collapse
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 6:08:37 AM EDT
[#24]
We've got enough of everything to go 3 months or so without leaving home. If SHTF to a degree beyond that we're all screwed anyway.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 6:10:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Nothing going to happen - they are scared shitless.
If they riot it will be in the obvious places.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 6:17:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

2.  Why plan on shopping during a hurricane, flood, fire or riots? Having a little food let’s you stay home and enjoy Netflix instead of playing Mad Max.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 6:19:45 AM EDT
[#27]
80k acres of hogs, deer, turkey, sandhill cranes, cows.

60k of night vision shit.

Closets full of #10 cans

700 gallons treated water

meh

ETA:  and a pissed off attitude
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 6:33:33 AM EDT
[#28]
I have enough frozen pizzas, ammo, and genny fuel to last through the dark winter.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 6:44:20 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've always been of the mindset that the primary concern is sudden lack of income, not necessarily the sudden disappearance of food in stores.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 6:44:47 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I have enough frozen pizzas, ammo, and genny fuel to last through the dark winter.
View Quote
Oh forgot about 16 cans of gas, 3 generators and 4 solar units that are portable.  

200k ammo in all calibers

Ive been prepping for a while

ETA:  10 tanks of propane
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 6:51:26 AM EDT
[#31]
I'm with TC556Guy. Better to have it and not need it than the other way around.

But that's just me.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 6:53:04 AM EDT
[#32]
Controlling the food supply is probably the most effective, direct way to control human beings.

When they want us to comply with something, they will make food scarce. "Wear the mask, or no going into the grocery store." "Get the vaccine, or you can't keep your job or go to school." Eventually it will be: "Submit to the new rulers and bow down and worship them, reject your Christianity, or take a trip to the camps." The masks are evil. They are literally a tool to train people to accept slavery. If only more people could see them for what they are, and where this is all leading us...

This is why we should be self-sufficient, live in small, tightly-knit, ideologically homogeneous communities, grow our own food, raise our own animals, and generally not need the government for anything.

Self-sufficiency is freedom.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 6:55:59 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
@eesmith advised stocking up on food and fuel in her podcast. I did today, I have about 2 months of food stocked after today's Costco run.

https://open.spotify.com/show/2hkL95tgNvapO7FeDj52F3
View Quote

Thanks for posting this. I wasn’t aware Erin had a podcast, I’ll check it out. The topics look very interesting, especially the Bolivian revolution series.

If anyone is interested in this topic, there was a thread from earlier this year I had bookmarked. Very interesting perspective from a member who experienced it first hand, and something I hope we never experience
https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/The-Great-Bolivian-Bogaloo-of-2019/5-2336897/

Link Posted: 11/1/2020 7:03:10 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Perhaps your area didn’t feel the hit this spring/summer, but our AO was out of many things while the supply chains struggled to keep up. We definitely had a meat/chicken shortage due to Covid sweeping through various meat packing plants.

We were glad to have frozen chicken breasts for in the freezer

Edit: to be clear, our “preps” (if you want to call them that) won’t get us through a war or famine, but will help fill in supply chain gaps for several weeks if the Dems start fear mongering again
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 7:13:18 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

do you not know where the food store is?
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 7:14:39 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Nothing going to happen - they are scared shitless.
If they riot it will be in the obvious places.
View Quote

And I believe this time, it's not going to go the way they hoped.

Trump will kick some commie ass post election.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 7:15:23 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

that is exactly why people are stocking up
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 7:17:42 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

...march
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 7:24:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Noone is disagreeing with you
The food stores are a stopgap measure. Let's say that SHTF in December. Noone is growing anything until spring in that scenario. You need something to get you through the cold dark months.

And rightfully, stored seeds and such without the experience of what to do with them isn't enough either.  You need some practical experience on how to sustain yourself outside of going to the local grocery store if it's a real world collapse
View Quote

Not disagreeing with you in any way BUT to take your stance one step further for the non believers.... What happens if you have a bum crop in the following spring/summer due to a late or early frost (OR summer of 1816)? Old country houses had, wood sheds, chicken coops, all those glass jars, large pantries and root cellars for a reason! My Dad told me in the depression, you could hardly find a deer or wild creature anywhere as they had mostly been eaten. The only way they survived was eating what they could grow. For the beans and rice crowd, think about "food fatigue".
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 7:35:22 AM EDT
[#40]
One of the best things about living in the sticks is my private 12 acre lake. It's hard to find, difficult to get to and paid for. I can , EVERY DAY, walk fifty yards and catch a mess of crappie or a bass big enough to feed us both. Ducks on the pond every day. Frogs are easy to gig. Pigs feed around the edges of the lake. Deer between us and the lake.

I'm not really a "prepper" but we have an enormous stockpile of all things we might need. Meds, fuel, ammo, parts, tools, skills and more and more. I started using a dehydrator a few years back with good success. Freezers are full. Whole house generator with auto-transfer switch. Additional gas fired gensets in the shop. It's probably time to do a battery buy though as we use quite a few. We keep at least five full propane bottles at all times anyway. Gate is locked at all times and we have the ability to physically blockade the entrance to our place. Firewood supply is set for this year and we'll be getting more for next year as the weather cools. 120 acres of timber for fuel.

For a couple our ages we're in good shape physically and barring serious accidents we're pretty self sufficient medically. Our med kit is good through sutures and more. Weapons/ammo check. Transportation is good with 4x4 and a CanAm for work around our place. Tractor is two years old with only 40 hours on it. Diesel storage is good. Chainsaws are in top condition along with a full compliment of Stihl tools.

I guess we'll just keep on keeping on. My best asset is my wife. Strong and sure, after 45 years I suspect we'll be ok.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 7:35:26 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Good for you, just create more panic.
View Quote

Good thing that doesn't apply to ammo and mags, right?

One should have contingencies for all of life's obstacles whether it's a flat tire, unemployment or Marxist insurgency.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 7:39:33 AM EDT
[#42]
fun fact of the day: squirrels are edible.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 7:41:50 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

That’s where currency and banking is controlled
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 7:48:32 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

OH I don't know maybe a few months ago when the Grocery stores had bare racks for meat.

Can't remember ammo being this scarce either, dumb fucking outlook on things if you ask me.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 7:56:59 AM EDT
[#45]
I've 28 acres of woods and a pond full of food. Wife won't like it, but we won't starve.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 8:04:29 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I grabbed a pack of tp today to insulate my bidet.
View Quote
This man is a smart man.
America fights over TP while the civilized world uses water.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 8:05:39 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

The whole concept of "being prepared" is to be ready for the unexpected.  Any damn fool can get ready for events they can easily foresee.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 8:08:36 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
As long as you're rotating stocks so you're not wasting food/money by throwing stuff away, there's no good reason not to keep an emergency stockpile.  None.  Even in relatively peaceful times.
View Quote

This! You never know when something may happen.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 8:15:39 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
fun fact of the day: squirrels are edible.
View Quote

Tastes like chicken.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 8:16:43 AM EDT
[#50]
I follow Grainmaker Mills on FB (bought one of their mills back at the start of the pandemic) and they have been shipping mills by the pallet recently.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top