BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 7:30:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yep.  I hear it referred to as USPSA "Lite" now and it was better before the 2017 rule change.  Right I am using IDPA for gun handling and basics to get back up to speed after shooting a shotgun league for two years and having my pistol skills deteriorate. Also the squad I shoot on is a good group and not a bunch of FUDDS, most of them do or have shoot USPSA and mutigun in the past.
View Quote
Sad a city as big as Vegas don't have legit USPSA matches. It don't look like even Hurricane does either.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 7:31:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
There are over 100 people on Arfcom that have seen me shoot. Approximately zero would say it anything near inadequate.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's just something that people tell themselves to feel better when they get taken to the woodshed by a 63 year old C-Class shooter with a bad hip.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/241349/1952FC5D-7A66-4FDB-BE8B-053F616E74F1_jpeg-884386.JPG
There are over 100 people on Arfcom that have seen me shoot. Approximately zero would say it anything near inadequate.
That's nice. Good for you! You're special.
Glad you let us know just how awesome you are.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 7:43:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Sad a city as big as Vegas don't have legit USPSA matches. It don't look like even Hurricane does either.
View Quote
I think they do at a club that is a bit of a haul from my house, but the range near me only has IDPA for now.  USPSA was supposed to come back to my range in Feb I think; but sounds like they are still trying to get it going.  I give a lot of credit to the Match and Asst match directors for the time spent on managing a match along with all the volunteer stage planners and set-up/breakdown crew even though they get the match fee comped that is still a lot of time and dedication.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 7:48:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote
Everyone on Arfcom has seen you shoot. You can hardly even kill one pussy Terminator. Get over yourself already....
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 8:08:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's just something that people tell themselves to feel better when they get taken to the woodshed by a 63 year old C-Class shooter with a bad hip.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/241349/1952FC5D-7A66-4FDB-BE8B-053F616E74F1_jpeg-884386.JPG
This is getting exciting. Is that you Squatdog?
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 8:51:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yep.  I hear it referred to as USPSA "Lite" now and it was better before the 2017 rule change.  Right I am using IDPA for gun handling and basics to get back up to speed after shooting a shotgun league for two years and having my pistol skills deteriorate. Also the squad I shoot on is a good group and not a bunch of FUDDS, most of them do or have shoot USPSA and mutigun in the past.
View Quote
If they had done all the rule changes with the exception of scoring, it would have been good.  I'm generally the most accurate at a match but even I think 1 second per down is retarded.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 8:53:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
Neat-o... Still derpy.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 8:54:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

If they had done all the rule changes with the exception of scoring, it would have been good.  I'm generally the most accurate at a match but even I think 1 second per down is retarded.
View Quote
IDPA is gradually turning into Bullseye shooting with fishing vests.

Link Posted: 3/20/2019 8:58:48 PM EDT
[#9]
I now shoot IDPA since my local club has IDPA and the nearest USPSA match is a 2 hour drive. But I love USPSA. I've never taken it super seriously. I instead use it as a training tool. I shoot open with a weapon light/rmr equipped Glock 19 and an IWB appendix holster.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 9:02:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

IDPA is gradually turning into Bullseye shooting with fishing vests.

View Quote
Totally... IDPA has a very weird vibe that at its base is, "that's too fast/I don't like it/I think that's "gaming"/something something Founders Intent" so therefore, illegal.

Half second per point down felt about right and kept people from just hosing targets.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 11:44:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I now shoot IDPA since my local club has IDPA and the nearest USPSA match is a 2 hour drive. But I love USPSA. I've never taken it super seriously. I instead use it as a training tool. I shoot open with a weapon light/rmr equipped Glock 19 and an IWB appendix holster.
View Quote
They allow appendix carry at your IDPA matches?  Must be loose rules as that is against the rulebook for safety reasons.  Agreed it is a good training tool.

8.5.1 Non-Permitted Holsters (Non-Inclusive list):
A. Cross-draw carry
B. Shoulder holsters
C. Small of the back carry
D. Appendix carry
E. Pocket carry
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 11:50:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Well, you will find out how much a second is worth while shooting.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 12:26:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

They allow appendix carry at your IDPA matches?  Must be loose rules as that is against the rulebook for safety reasons.  Agreed it is a good training tool.

A. Cross-draw carry
B. Shoulder holsters
D. Appendix carry
E. Pocket carry
View Quote
Think he's talking about USPSA and not IDPA in that case.

It's legal in Limited and Open.  With a light and RMR, he's running it in Open.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 12:48:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'm doing both, and find mixing the two can lead to problems.
I shot terribly last weekend in IDPA but was fast enough to finish higher than I expected. Still, misses in either really hurt you. Down 5 seconds for a miss that might have taken en extra half second to avoid isn't worth it.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 10:31:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I shot terribly last weekend in IDPA but was fast enough to finish higher than I expected. Still, misses in either really hurt you. Down 5 seconds for a miss that might have taken en extra half second to avoid isn't worth it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yep.

I shoot both, but shoot them at different speeds. In USPSA I blaze, while in IDPA I go slower and make sure I get the "0" penalty hits (for the most part).

Although some take the "0" zone too seriously. I've seen people take multiple seconds to make up a 1 second penalty- happens a lot actually.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 10:45:35 AM EDT
[#16]
I've been dry firing using Steve Anderson's books and Ben Stoeger's book along with listening to both of their podcasts for about a month now. It has made a world of difference with my pistol shooting already.

This past week I took Rio Salado's Practical Pistol Shooting Course. It was a ton of fun. I consider myself a decent shot and did well but it was still humbling. All of the guys that took the course with me were awesome and I'm looking forward to competing soon. I'll be shooting production with a Glock 19. Rio Salado is the home for some of the national champs including Rob Leatham so I'm sure I'll get stomped but I'm excited.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 10:46:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 12:13:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I've been dry firing using Steve Anderson's books and Ben Stoeger's book along with listening to both of their podcasts for about a month now. It has made a world of difference with my pistol shooting already.

This past week I took Rio Salado's Practical Pistol Shooting Course. It was a ton of fun. I consider myself a decent shot and did well but it was still humbling. All of the guys that took the course with me were awesome and I'm looking forward to competing soon. I'll be shooting production with a Glock 19. Rio Salado is the home for some of the national champs including Rob Leatham so I'm sure I'll get stomped but I'm excited.
View Quote
I like Ben's materials as well, books and podcasts and he as great scaled dryfire targets at his pro shop for cheap.  There are two other good podcasts that I listen as well, Shoot Fast podcast and Make Ready podcast.  Great info and helps me get through my commute.  Both on apple and other formats I think.

http://www.axonshootingsports.com/
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 12:16:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A. Cross-draw carry
B. Shoulder holsters
D. Appendix carry
E. Pocket carry

Ah that makes sense.  My IDPA club officially adopted carry optics this month, but I think weapon light are also a no go for IDPA. Lots of rules.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 12:33:50 PM EDT
[#20]
The type of SHOOTING you do in USPSA type matches is really fun and exciting. I used to shoot about 8-10 USPSA matches a year but have not done any for a few years for one reason basically:

THERE IS WAY TO MUCH WAITING AROUND AND THEY TAKE TOO LONG

I'm sure many will say I'm just being a baby, but when you reset plates, paste targets, and stand around for hours and hours usually in high deg. temps, all to actually shoot for a total of 2-3 minutes, that's not worth it to me.

It's good that it's gotten so popular here, but with the number of people coming out, it seems like damn near an all day ordeal to shoot probably 5-7 stages.

All that said, I just go to shoot, not socialize, so if you have buddies that go or you are very social/outgoing you will probably have more fun in the interminable downtime between shooting, but as for me, I'm out. I have been doing steel matches instead as they go a lot faster.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 12:43:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Who actually says that?

I've been shooting USPSA for years and I've never heard anyone say this.  It's always, "start shooting Production with whatever you have to get started."
View Quote
The closest USPSA/IDPA club to me is a clique of guys who are pretty toxic to new shooters.

I watched them DQ a new guy (new to that range, not new to shooting sports) for "reaching past the muzzle of his gun".  The stage was over and he was under a barricade (cardboard on top of two barrels with a space between them for shooting).  After clearing his gun, he put his magazine on top of the plastic barrel above his head. The magazine was no farther forward than the back of his collar.  New guy packed up his gear and told them to pound sand.  Way to grow the club.

They announced a BUG match one week.  I arrived with my 642, IWB holster and a pocket full of speedloaders.  Everyone else had their usual USPSA rigs, open holsters, extended mags, full-size guns, no concealment.  I pointed to the BUG MATCH on the white board and was told that they wanted everyone to be able to shoot.    Fine, whatever.  FIRST STAGE: I get a procedural called on me because my toe was sticking out past cover.  Nevermind the guys hosing the targets with 15 rounds from a CZ Shadow II, can't have that toe sticking out.

I've found another place that is farther, but much more friendly.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 1:18:41 PM EDT
[#22]
USPSA is a ton of fun. Show up and just pay attention to not getting DQ'd. Running around with a loaded gun is new to most people and can be a bit nerve wracking. After you shoot a couple matches and understand the safety rules start focusing on getting better.

If I was shooting SS I'd find some 8 round mags though. The maximum number of rounds from one location of view is 8, so in typical USPSA fashion a lot of time you see 8 round arrays. The maximum number of rounds for stages at level 3 (area) and level 4 (nationals) matches is 32. Level 1 (local) and level 2 (sectional) don't have a cap, but most people limit their stages to 32 rounds.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 1:26:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
USPSA is a ton of fun. Show up and just pay attention to not getting DQ'd. Running around with a loaded gun is new to most people and can be a bit nerve wracking. After you shoot a couple matches and understand the safety rules start focusing on getting better.

If I was shooting SS I'd find some 8 round mags though. The maximum number of rounds from one location of view is 8, so in typical USPSA fashion a lot of time you see 8 round arrays. The maximum number of rounds for stages at level 3 (area) and level 4 (nationals) matches is 32. Level 1 (local) and level 2 (sectional) don't have a cap, but most people limit their stages to 32 rounds.
View Quote
Running and gunning sooooooo much fun....

Me, Last night.

DAPS Wed night match 3-20-19
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 1:37:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Me, Last night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5DnDZu4qNs
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me, Last night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5DnDZu4qNs
Looks like you shot nothing but white "no shoots".

Nice shooting.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 1:40:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Looks like you shot nothing but white "no shoots".

Nice shooting.
View Quote
Thanks, screwed it up though.....2 on paper. On the double up I put 3 on one and 1 on the other, missed it by 2" LOL

Not too shabby for being 50 years old, huh?  

P.S. Most racist sport ever:

Shoot brown targets

No penalty for shooting black targets

Can not shoot the white ones.

Link Posted: 3/21/2019 1:49:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I actually thought about trying to enter the revolver division too, with my 4.25" S&W 69. But then I remembered that I don't have any speed loaders and no one makes a holster for it. Maybe I'll get around to it in the future.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP you will enjoy it, don't listen to the the haters.  Its a lot of fun, usually a great bunch of people, and you will learn a lot of great gun handling skills, far quicker and better than just about anything else you have done with your handgun.

https://i.imgur.com/SzrxMHOl.jpg
Limited is fun

https://i.imgur.com/r7RdpAul.jpg
But nothing's better than beating the bottom feeders with the round gun.
I actually thought about trying to enter the revolver division too, with my 4.25" S&W 69. But then I remembered that I don't have any speed loaders and no one makes a holster for it. Maybe I'll get around to it in the future.
The model 69 is an L-frame.  Any holster that fits a 686 of similar barrel length should fit your M69. Life would be hard in Revolver division with a 5-shot revolver. Most of us are now using 8-shooters after the rule change in early 2014.  The 929 is the current king of the division with the 627/327/R8 a fading second place.  The 6-shooters are all but gone but when it was a 6-shooter division is was about 80% 625 and 15% 610 and the balance some type of 38/357.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 1:51:09 PM EDT
[#27]
I have no idea, I hope you enjoy it.

Having fun is cool.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 9:46:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I like Ben's materials as well, books and podcasts and he as great scaled dryfire targets at his pro shop for cheap.  There are two other good podcasts that I listen as well, Shoot Fast podcast and Make Ready podcast.  Great info and helps me get through my commute.  Both on apple and other formats I think.

http://www.axonshootingsports.com/
View Quote
I have Ben's scaled targets. They're great around the house. I'll have to check out those other podcasts.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 12:50:05 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
I do plan on getting some 8-rounders, but I’ve been putting a lot of money into expanding my reloading setup lately and I just can’t swing the expense of ordering a whole new set of Wilson 47-D’s right now. I’ll just embrace the suck with my 7-rounders this time and plan to upgrade before the next match.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 12:54:38 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The model 69 is an L-frame.  Any holster that fits a 686 of similar barrel length should fit your M69. Life would be hard in Revolver division with a 5-shot revolver. Most of us are now using 8-shooters after the rule change in early 2014.  The 929 is the current king of the division with the 627/327/R8 a fading second place.  The 6-shooters are all but gone but when it was a 6-shooter division is was about 80% 625 and 15% 610 and the balance some type of 38/357.
View Quote
I’d never expect to beat anyone with my 5-shot. It’s still fun to shoot though, and damn accurate with some .44 SPC handloads.

It will technically fit a 686 holster, but being a five-shot cylinder, the flutes don’t line up the way they need to with a “boned” holster that contours the cylinder. Kind of limits the options if you want it to fit correctly. I currently use a big generic Sticky holster for IWB carry.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 11:54:14 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I do plan on getting some 8-rounders, but I've been putting a lot of money into expanding my reloading setup lately and I just can't swing the expense of ordering a whole new set of Wilson 47-D's right now. I'll just embrace the suck with my 7-rounders this time and plan to upgrade before the next match.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do plan on getting some 8-rounders, but I've been putting a lot of money into expanding my reloading setup lately and I just can't swing the expense of ordering a whole new set of Wilson 47-D's right now. I'll just embrace the suck with my 7-rounders this time and plan to upgrade before the next match.
In that case go out and have fun! It's a great sport filled with great people. Remember that when you're next to shoot you can do a quick walkthrough when they're resetting the stage. After you shoot you can go reload your mags. Any other time you should be helping reset the stage.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 1:10:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Not to be a downer but
Shooting a 5 or 6 shot revolver is not going to be fun for anyone in that game, not the user or the viewer.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 1:39:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Not to be a downer but
Shooting a 5 or 6 shot revolver is not going to be fun for anyone in that game, not the user or the viewer.
View Quote
Sorta disagree. There's a guy who shoots a wheel gun in our USPSA matches that's pretty impressive to watch. He's an M level shooter though, so that probably has something to do with it. His reloads are cool as hell to watch.

But yeah, I don't want to watch a C level shooter plod through a course 6 shots at a time with 3 second reloads.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 1:47:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Sorta disagree. There's a guy who shoots a wheel gun in our USPSA matches that's pretty impressive to watch. He's an M level shooter though, so that probably has something to do with it. His reloads are cool as hell to watch.

But yeah, I don't want to watch a C level shooter plod through a course 6 shots at a time with 3 second reloads.
View Quote
There's some good ones here, but they use 8 shot 9mm.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 1:49:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

There's some good ones here, but they use 8 shot 9mm.
View Quote
I had a great time shooting the 625 in USPSA Revo,  but then the rules changed and let the 8-shot guns take over.  Didn’t feel like dropping another grand or two to keep playing.  
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 5:45:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Ah that makes sense.  My IDPA club officially adopted carry optics this month, but I think weapon light are also a no go for IDPA. Lots of rules.  
View Quote
Lights are a go in IDPA if the stage calls for it. Weapons mounted lights are a no-go because not every pistol supports a weapon mounted light.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 5:52:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Lights are a go in IDPA if the stage calls for it. Weapons mounted lights are a no-go because not every pistol supports a weapon mounted light.
View Quote
They're a no-go in IDPA because it's full of derpy rules and 1980's flashlight doctrine.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 6:29:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Sure you're right.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 6:38:50 PM EDT
[#39]
When I shot USPSA I had 3 or 4  8 rouind mags and one 7 round mag as a loader.  There will be plenty of help at the matches if you ask for it.  Walk the stages so you can plan your reloads.  Remember muzzle direction and keep your finger off of the trigger when not engaging targets and there is no such thing as perfect double.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 6:46:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I still shoot both, not so much because I enjoy the rules of IDPA as much as I do USPSA, but because our local IDPA program is AWESOME. Great group of volunteers that set up fun stages with all sorts of challenging props. If that wasn't the case, I'd probably only do USPSA and multigun.
View Quote
Pioneer? Great folks.
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 6:57:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:... and there is no such thing as perfect double.
View Quote
I got one once.

paster called a MIKE ( miss )

I walked up with the RO

He gave it to me, said target was too close for Derek to miss.

It was almost close enough to touch with my muzzle

Link Posted: 3/23/2019 8:56:40 PM EDT
[#42]
I'm gearing up for my first match in nearly 20 years. I'm still waiting on my actual belt to arrive. Next will be some real mag holders, but the blackhawks will have to suffice for now. The holster is a Stoger BOSS set up for a CZ75.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 3:59:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I got one once.

I walked up with the RO

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:... and there is no such thing as perfect double.
I got one once.

I walked up with the RO

I watched Hwansik Kim get one at Area 1 last year. The video showed the impacts in the berm behind the target. The RO had to call a mike and Hwansik didn't disagree. Still won CO though.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 11:27:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I watched Hwansik Kim get one at Area 1 last year. The video showed the impacts in the berm behind the target. The RO had to call a mike and Hwansik didn't disagree. Still won CO though.
View Quote
That's why I usually go for A D, so I won't have that problem.
Link Posted: 3/25/2019 1:06:29 AM EDT
[#45]
IDPA > USPSA

Prove me wrong
Link Posted: 3/25/2019 1:17:36 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
IDPA > USPSA

Prove me wrong
View Quote
It's nowhere near as much fun.

Also, fishing vests.
Link Posted: 3/25/2019 1:44:57 AM EDT
[#47]
I'm also looking to get involved. I just purchased an M&P 2.0. 9mm Performance Center today and look Into magwells. I plan on throwing a Vortex on it soon, but am having trouble finding a good holster for it. What's everybody using?
Link Posted: 3/25/2019 6:21:24 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I'm also looking to get involved. I just purchased an M&P 2.0. 9mm Performance Center today and look Into magwells. I plan on throwing a Vortex on it soon, but am having trouble finding a good holster for it. What's everybody using?
View Quote
Comp-tac or Blade-Tech.
If it's a ported barrel you have to shoot open division btw. It's fine to get started and try it out though.
Link Posted: 3/25/2019 6:25:27 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
IDPA > USPSA

Prove me wrong
View Quote
IDPA’s POHR reload rules alone prove you wrong.
Link Posted: 3/25/2019 7:42:17 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
IDPA's POHR reload rules alone prove you wrong.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
IDPA > USPSA

Prove me wrong
IDPA's POHR reload rules alone prove you wrong.
This. Also...
If IDPA is supposed to be a sim for defensive scenarios, then each stage should only be 1 to 3 targets max.
Prove me wrong.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top