Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/14/2023 11:12:38 PM EDT
I’m “kind” of new to the cigar world when I’m on vacation in Mexico ill smoke 1 or 2 Cubans a night and here at home I limit myself to only smoking 1 or 2 on a Sat afternoon.  Anyway I have absolutely fallen in love with the Monetcristo 1935 anniversary and would like to have some put away in my own personal humidor.

I have looked some online but I haven’t found anything that stands out to me as superior high quality that is not made in china.  Preferable I want something with a high quality humidity gauge that I can see without having to open the lid and that holds 20 to 30 sticks.

I am not rich just a lower middle class blue collar guy but I’d rather buy quality once and have something that I can be proud of than buy multiple times over and over again and I don’t want to buy something cheap and spend big $$$$ filling it up and have something go wrong and have to throw out thousands of dollars’ worth of cigars.

What do you guy recommend?
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 11:51:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/15/2023 12:01:16 AM EDT
[#2]
If you actually live in Nevada, typical humidors are going to struggle maintaining humidity. Arid climates (I’m in one too), just suck for them. They aren’t pretty but your best best for a good, effective humidor is to buy a large Rubbermaid Brilliance container, clean it with baking soda and water, throwing a 69% Boveda pack in it with some Spanish cedar veneer and putting your sticks in it. It’ll maintain humidity great, and you don’t have to worry about losing a seal because of the dry climate. if you want a hygrometer in it, buy a Bluetooth Govee one, do a salt calibration and call it good.

Total, you’ll spend less than 50 bucks and have a humidor that works better than any “pretty” or display humidor out there

Rubbermaid Brilliance
Boveda
Hygrometer
Link Posted: 4/15/2023 6:54:53 AM EDT
[#3]
I use the smaller one of these for cigar storage: IRIS USA 26.5 & 44 Quart Combo... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B084TMY9GN?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

You just want to keep it fairly full as it’s easier to maintain with more cigars than fewer.
Link Posted: 4/15/2023 10:01:32 AM EDT
[#4]
I used a Pelican case and Boveda packs until I accumulated too many cigars. Now I use a clear top Husky tote with a rubber seal and a Cigar Oasis.

That being said, I acquire more cigars than I smoke as a rep so I needed additional storage.
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 5:42:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Attachment Attached File

I used this stuff off Amazon. $45-50 total or whatever. Nothing fancy, but works really well.
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 6:17:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote
Overpriced and tiny.
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 6:55:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Sistema + Boveda ‘nuf said.
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 8:41:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/74272/CC540F41-491F-41C5-94CC-848ABAA5A537_jpe-2785262.JPG

I used this stuff off Amazon. $45-50 total or whatever. Nothing fancy, but works really well.
View Quote

This is what I do, minus the Boveda caddy.
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 8:48:45 PM EDT
[#9]
I struggled with wooden himidors. Then I bought Sistema plastic storage bins, with gaskets, from Amazon and I struggle no more.

And Boveda is the berries.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 10:57:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Coolers and Tupperware are not sexy, but they are by far the best way to store cigars and will keep them in the best shape.  I have probably 7-8 hundred sticks and could never keep them healthy in a traditional humidor. Tabletop humidors may look nice, but they suck at maintaining humidity.  

The only other thing I would consider would be a wine cooler type deal, but it would have to be huge.  My basement stays at below 70 all year long and it’s ideal for cooleridors.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 11:13:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for all the reply’s guys.  I live in Vegas so there is no way my house is anywhere near 70 degrees in the summer as much as I would love to buy a Gryphon handcrafted humidor if it won’t keep the correct humidity in my climate what’s the point?  As beautiful as they are I don’t see a rubber seal on the lid so I don’t see how it’s gonna maintain the correct humidity.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 11:22:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If you actually live in Nevada, typical humidors are going to struggle maintaining humidity. Arid climates (I’m in one too), just suck for them. They aren’t pretty but your best best for a good, effective humidor is to buy a large Rubbermaid Brilliance container, clean it with baking soda and water, throwing a 69% Boveda pack in it with some Spanish cedar veneer and putting your sticks in it. It’ll maintain humidity great, and you don’t have to worry about losing a seal because of the dry climate. if you want a hygrometer in it, buy a Bluetooth Govee one, do a salt calibration and call it good.

Total, you’ll spend less than 50 bucks and have a humidor that works better than any “pretty” or display humidor out there

Rubbermaid Brilliance
Boveda
Hygrometer
View Quote

Your links aren’t working but I found this hygrometer on Amazon how do you go about “salt calibrating”?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Y36FWTT?tag=arfcom00-20
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 12:06:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Your links aren’t working but I found this hygrometer on Amazon how do you go about “salt calibrating”?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rubbermaid Brilliance
Boveda
Hygrometer

Standard bottle cap level with salt. Dampen it, don’t soak it, with distilled water, put it and your hygrometer into a ziploc for 24hrs. Hygrometer should read 75%, if it doesn’t, adjust it until it does and throw it in your humidor

Sorry the links didn’t work. I just switched to iPhone and I’m getting used to it. The one I recommend is a small white square with no display. It’s 16.99
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 2:07:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Standard bottle cap level with salt. Dampen it, don’t soak it, with distilled water, put it and your hygrometer into a ziploc for 24hrs. Hygrometer should read 75%, if it doesn’t, adjust it until it does and throw it in your humidor

Sorry the links didn’t work. I just switched to iPhone and I’m getting used to it. The one I recommend is a small white square with no display. It’s 16.99
View Quote

Is this it?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R586J37?tag=arfcom00-20
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 6:34:50 PM EDT
[#15]
My cigars smoked like absolute shit when I had 69% Bovedas in my Sistema containers, I usually had to dry-box them for a bit. 65% is where it’s at
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 12:21:55 AM EDT
[#16]

I have 4 govee and they are fine.  Not perfect, and they sometimes require adjustment.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 12:26:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
My cigars smoked like absolute shit when I had 69% Bovedas in my Sistema containers, I usually had to dry-box them for a bit. 65% is where it’s at
View Quote

I agree with you, but we probably have different experiences partly based on local climate and humidity. If I were in the dry southwestern climate, I’d start with 69.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 12:29:23 AM EDT
[#18]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is this it?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R586J37?tag=arfcom00-20

That’s the one. I’m at a work training this week and have my travel humidor with me. This is the display when I pull up the app on my phone. I got to where I trust the boveda packs more than the hygrometers but I have them all set to give me an alarm if it dips below a certain humidity so that’s why I have them. You’ll notice my travel hygrometer isn’t calibrated

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/21/2023 8:12:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks guys for all the replies I’m gonna piece together something from all the suggestions.

On another note I would like a 3 or 4 premium leather cigar travel case.  I found this one from King Ranch
https://www.krsaddleshop.com/Cigar-Holder-Two-Finger?custcol_leathertype=102

but it only holds two. What is out there that is of premium quality made with real leather not PU that holds 3 or 4 sticks?
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 8:35:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Rubbermaid Brilliance
Boveda
Hygrometer
View Quote

This is the way
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 9:19:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Look at Diamond Crown for both quality humidors and genuine leather cigar cases.
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 11:14:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Another dumb question for you guys.  What is the purpose of the cedar tray & humidity pouch holder?
What would happen if I just threw the cigars and the humidity pouches in the container without the cedar?
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 11:18:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Another dumb question for you guys.  What is the purpose of the cedar tray & humidity pouch holder?
What would happen if I just threw the cigars and the humidity pouches in the container without the cedar?
View Quote

Realistically nothing. The idea of using the cedar is it may help age them a bit better but even though my brain has me use cedar, I’m fairly certain it’s mostly placebo
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 12:40:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

You don’t need either. I just wanted a tray that I could lift out all the sticks at one time. And it keeps them a little more organized. Smells good too. I used the boveda holder because I wanted to keep the pouch out of the way…. More room for cigars.

Edit: I should add, I used double sided tape to stick the boveda caddy to the top of the box. As well as the hygrometer. I can see it through the top without opening the lid.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 8:28:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Cedar helps to balance and maintain humidity levels and avoid moisture buildups.
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 8:42:30 AM EDT
[#26]
1st class humidors have some small cabinets that are nice. I have one.

I put a cigar oasis in it. The small electronic humidifier. Boveda sucks, but ill use them for travel.
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 8:56:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 12:02:13 AM EDT
[#28]
So for those of you saying that a plastic container and Boveda packs is all you need.  I’m curious how to you regulate temperature which from my understanding is just as important as RH?

I have been looking at electronic humidors that have a compressor to regulate the temperature and that seems like the way to go for me but like I said earlier I am new to all this?  
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 9:48:42 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
So for those of you saying that a plastic container and Boveda packs is all you need.  I’m curious how to you regulate temperature which from my understanding is just as important as RH?

I have been looking at electronic humidors that have a compressor to regulate the temperature and that seems like the way to go for me but like I said earlier I am new to all this?  
View Quote

Typically the HVAC system in my house does it for me. I keep them in my closet, so they’re out of direct light and tear round they basically stay at 65 degrees
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 10:50:07 AM EDT
[#30]
Mine stays at ambient room temp. Which in my house is 68-70f. Remember, as long as the humidity and temp numbers add up to 135 to 145 you are usually good to go. Doesn’t have to be exactly 70/70.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 11:18:20 PM EDT
[#31]
I live in Vegas so my house is hotter than a lot of you guys.  In the summer my temp is 78-81 and in the winter I’d say I average 74-76 so even in the winter time my house is too hot to just throw them in a Rubbermaid container with some humidity packs.

I found a nice electric unit on amazon for $250 I’m gonna try out.  I just don’t want to invest in a bunch of cigars and then have them go bad on me.  And I found one in particular that I really LOVE and I want to stock pile a few boxes of them.  I appreciate all the help guys.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 9:54:39 AM EDT
[#32]
Get a wine cooler.
Or better yet, a cigar cooler (basically a wine cooler with more cedar and humidity control)
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 8:52:56 PM EDT
[#33]
So I have a box of cigars coming and need to store them. Is a Rubbermaid container with a gasket and a Boveda pack good enough?
Link Posted: 8/3/2023 8:37:49 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
So I have a box of cigars coming and need to store them. Is a Rubbermaid container with a gasket and a Boveda pack good enough?
View Quote

That should work.

I bought a Sistema one off Amazon and a couple of cedar shelves. A hydrometer wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Just make sure the plastic doesn't smell. That'll make your cigars smell/taste bad.
Link Posted: 8/3/2023 10:07:05 AM EDT
[#35]
Yeah wash it good first. I break up cigar boxes for the cedar and put it in.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 2:25:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Im in Florida so Im dealing with temp and humidity.  I have a Needone 48L humidor from Amazon and I love it.  Stays 68F and with 4-5 69% Bovida Packs, it maintains 67-68% humidity.

Needone Humidor
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 5:29:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Do you guy take cigars out of the plastic wrap when you put them in a humidor?
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 5:32:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Personal preference. The plastic is cellophane, which is made from natural materials and is permeable.
Link Posted: 9/1/2023 12:42:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

leaving them on helps prevent damage to the cigar - from handling, the abrasive effect of the wooden trays, etc

I'm not sure if they use to come without cello, or if the cello had been lost, but I watched a brand new Atabey explode in my hands as I cut. $35 thrown in the trash. I had been saving it for months, and I can only assume that shuffling it around in my humidor was the cause. They come in cello now
Link Posted: 9/1/2023 1:45:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

leaving them on helps prevent damage to the cigar - from handling, the abrasive effect of the wooden trays, etc

I'm not sure if they use to come without cello, or if the cello had been lost, but I watched a brand new Atabey explode in my hands as I cut. $35 thrown in the trash. I had been saving it for months, and I can only assume that shuffling it around in my humidor was the cause. They come in cello now
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats a humidity issue, not a protective wrapper issue
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 1:49:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Thanks for all the reply’s guys.  I live in Vegas so there is no way my house is anywhere near 70 degrees in the summer as much as I would love to buy a Gryphon handcrafted humidor if it won’t keep the correct humidity in my climate what’s the point?  As beautiful as they are I don’t see a rubber seal on the lid so I don’t see how it’s gonna maintain the correct humidity.
View Quote

A good wood humidor will be fitted so tight it doesn't use a rubber or other seal.   They work well, the issue is constantly having the humidity slowly drop in arid climates.  

If you have heat as well as humidity issues I would buy a used wine cooler and turn it into a wineador.    Easy enough to set it at 65 and with some boxes in it, and using the box lids / cedar spacers / bottoms as single stick storage it will work perfectly with boveda packs.   Plenty on the internet / youtube about doing this.   Its going to have to sit it out in the sun to off gas the plastic if you buy new or if a used one has any odor.  

I have one that holds a few boxes I bought new and it was relatively cheap at a big box store but they are all over facebook marketplace used.
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 3:49:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Im in Florida so Im dealing with temp and humidity.  I have a Needone 48L humidor from Amazon and I love it.  Stays 68F and with 4-5 69% Bovida Packs, it maintains 67-68% humidity.

Needone Humidor
View Quote

Bought one, thanks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top