Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/18/2019 10:38:25 PM EDT
I had to disconnect the steering shaft. I was able to get the rack and shaft to line up correctly but the pinch bolt wont thread.

I have tried to thread it by hand and with a ratchet. No dice.

It is hard to see in this picture but the male end from the rack is full inserted into the U joint.

Link Posted: 3/18/2019 10:43:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Probably need to pull it back just a bit.  There is a groove all the way around male end of the steering rack.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 10:44:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Are you saying you can't get the bolt threads started, or the threads are stripped and won't tighten?
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 10:46:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Pull the bolt, clean/burnish with a wire wheel. Make sure first thread looks good, if not redress the end so you have a good thread to start.  Bore brush the female thread. Try again till you whip it.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 10:48:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Probably need to pull it back just a bit.  There is a groove all the way around male end of the steering rack.
View Quote
That is what I was thinking but there is no room to do that without doing major disassembly. I have alignment tools, I will see tomorrow if I can get one in.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 10:52:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Is there a flat or groove on the column shaft that the bolt is interfering with? I made this mistake while reassembling one time
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 11:12:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Is there a flat or groove on the column shaft that the bolt is interfering with? I made this mistake while reassembling one time
View Quote
Not that I can see.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 11:30:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Is it acting like it is stripped or like the bolt is too short to pass through the non threaded half and engage the threads?

Could the peaks of both splined areas somehow be resting on one another?

Also, check for grease//dirt/mung in the splines, might not be allowing them to settle in. Was the shaft difficult to get in?

Weird problem. I have only done a handful of racks/steering boxes but have never had issue with them.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 11:31:52 PM EDT
[#8]
JB Weld?
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 11:41:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That is what I was thinking but there is no room to do that without doing major disassembly. I have alignment tools, I will see tomorrow if I can get one in.
View Quote
The male end shouldn't be inserted into the female (u-joint) end all of the way.  Causes discomfort in the female end.  :D

But, seriously, pull the u-joint end back just a hair.  You should see the grove through the bolt hole on the male end that the bolt will fit through.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 11:59:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Can you stick a rod in there to help get it aligned perfectly so the bolt will start?

I wouldn’t try anything else but to keep trying to start it by finger.  When the parts are slightly misaligned like that it’s easy to get it started cross threaded.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top