Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2023 3:01:31 PM EDT
Im coming here as a last resort.  I think to get this off my chest as well as a desperate attempt to see if there is anything I can do.

I have a puppy named Jaeger, 6 months old, half GSD and half Coy-Dog.  cute as heck

His stools have never hardened up much throughout his life, but we werent too concerned, thinking it was the food, etc.  I have been feeding him Blue Diamond and I dont feed scraps, etc.  

About 5 weeks ago, he started throwing everything up.  Tried using a rice and beef diet and he seemed to tolerate it better, but was still throwing up.  

Took him to Vet 1.  They did X-rays, but found no blockages but did see air pockets in his system.  Put him on an anti nausea med... Canera?  I think and he was fine for the 4 days he was on it.  He ate better and seemed to keep it down.  When he came off of it, went right back to vomiting everything about 1-2 times a day.  He dropped from 35 lbs to 24 lbs rapidly.  The vet offered to try surgery, but with no clear indication that it is a blockage, and the cost, I could not make the decision.  I would hate to put him through that and have it not be the issue.

Took him to Vet 2, They did an EPI test for Pancreatic Enzyme and put him on a probiotic powder and another round of "Canera".  for 4 days, he ate well, and seemed to be doing better.  Also, they put him on something for hardening the stool.  the minute the Canera was out of his system, the vomiting is back.  He vomited this morning everything he ate yesterday.

I dont know what to do next.  Should I let them cut him open?  Is it a systemic disease and no cure?  do I need to put the poor guy down?  

I know it sounds like im a basket case and I kind of am.  I love the dog, but dont want the goofball to suffer.  I guess im looking for anything that might help.  Ive tried dry food, wet food, rice and beef and added probiotics.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 3:11:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cb4017] [#1]
I had about the same thing with a GSD I had.  He developed a pancreas enzyme deficiency.    For the rest of his life I had to sprinkle a powder on his food.  It was this stuff.  Probiotic supplements did not work but the Pancre Plus did.

About a half teaspoon a day kept him going until he died of old age.  Good luck.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 3:15:35 PM EDT
[#2]
they did the test for that very thing and it came back negative.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 3:18:20 PM EDT
[#3]
we don't feed our goldens any commercial dog food, all human foods sweet potatoes brown rice, chicken, pumpkin, beef, chicken or fish
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 5:58:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Raw chicken backs from a butcher.....but a little bit of oats on top.

I have no clue what a coy-dog can eat...never heard of that. But if you think of wild times a dog isn't going around and eating processed kibble as it doesn't exist in the wild. Watch videos on wild dogs and you will see that they kill prey and then almost immediately go for the gut to get a little bit of grain and other items in there. They are driven to eat meat and things that will clean them out. If you change to a raw meat diet you will notice a huge reduction of fecal matter in your yard as the majority of that stuff is filler and crap from the food that they cant process.

I have fed this diet to my dogs for a decade and it is simple....even the place they get boarded at will feed them the raw food. When we are at home we just put the chicken on a paper plate and in their crates. At another persons home or on the road we just put it on a paper plate outside and they eat.

DONT feed them cooked bones as they splinter
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 6:02:51 PM EDT
[#5]
i will try the pure meat diet.  do you feed the bones, uncooked, of the chickens as well?
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 6:12:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I've got a Ridgeback, and have fed him meat all his life, raw and cooked.  When he eats any kibble he gets the mud butt.  Rice and chicken are a good fix for that.  

IMO kibble is the devil
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 6:16:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Have you tried smaller portions and feeding more meals?  I've had a dog that when the portion was too much he'd get diarrhea.  I switched from one meal a day to three and it worked.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 7:41:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10999] [#8]
Inflamed bowel disease (not the same as irritable bowel syndrome/disease),

The symptoms you describe are almost word for word the symptoms my dog had, same ages. Mine also had significant attention problems, was almost untrainable.  Could be something as simple as a case of giardia, could be more serious like IBD.

Without correct food, if he actually has IBD, he won’t get better.  Our dog has been on a hydrolyzed protein diet for 16 months, he’s over two years old now and doing as well as any other dog.  Before a vet figured it out though (when he was in the ICU), he had two bouts of aspirational pneumonia (due to the throwing up) and six days in an ICU.  We were sure he wouldn’t make it.

Ask your vet about IBD.  It’s usually confirmed by a biopsy, but doesn’t have to be.  Tell him you want to try a hydrolyzed protein diet to see if it helps.  It has to be ordered.  Results are quick, 3-4 days if that is his problem. If not, you haven’t lost anything and you’ve checked off another thing it isn’t.. Not denigrating any other advisors here, Our last dog was on a raw diet, just know this is what worked for us and the answer for us didn’t come easily or cheaply.

I read your post to my wife.  She said it sounded like us talking about our dog 16 months ago.

Picture of food:Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/1/2023 10:14:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks!  I appreciate it, I will talk to the vet
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 12:20:24 PM EDT
[#10]
i am currently feeding very small amounts several times a day.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 12:44:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Persia had intestinal issues her entire life. It took years to figure out. The only thing that really helped was having her on a daily dose of prednisone. It's a bit of a balancing act though. We had her down to a quarter tab a day, but would increase it as needed for anything that came up. Fortunately, prednisone is cheap and effective.

Link Posted: 2/1/2023 2:02:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By apmonte:
Persia had intestinal issues her entire life. It took years to figure out. The only thing that really helped was having her on a daily dose of prednisone. It's a bit of a balancing act though. We had her down to a quarter tab a day, but would increase it as needed for anything that came up. Fortunately, prednisone is cheap and effective.

View Quote

Prednisone can be dangerous.  Yeah, you're right it is cheap and can be effective for certain ailments but I'd still be hesitant. A single dose can trigger an auto-immune response.  I only found this out after our 5 yo GSD passed away suddenly.  The only out of the ordinary things that went into him was his rabies vaccination months before and a dose of prednisone only a week before.  I can't be certain but afterwards I did some digging and did find that it is possible.  I'm just giving you food for thought.  The amount of guilt I feel for giving him the pill is immense.  The prednisone was prescribed to our other dog for an allergy.  When our 5 yo was itching one night I figured why not, now well, you can figure out how it feels.  Sure, I'm not 100% certain but I'm firmly in the caution camp from now on.  The pisser is that prednisone is one of the drugs prescribed to treat auto-immune responses.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 11:53:49 PM EDT
[#13]
We had a dachshund that was having digestive issues. The vet diagnosed it as an allergy to chicken. After changing the diet, it cleared up.  Years later, another dachshund developed digestive issues, and we just changed his diet to avoid chicken and sure enough, the symptoms cleared.

I am not saying that your dog has this, but food allergies do happen to dogs.
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 1:26:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Multi-Tool:
We had a dachshund that was having digestive issues. The vet diagnosed it as an allergy to chicken. After changing the diet, it cleared up.  Years later, another dachshund developed digestive issues, and we just changed his diet to avoid chicken and sure enough, the symptoms cleared.

I am not saying that your dog has this, but food allergies do happen to dogs.
View Quote

I've dealt with a similar issue.  For years, our dog is 7, almost 8, we watched our dog itch.  As I mentioned in my previous post we had her on prednisone for allergies.  When the prednisone wasn't as effective anymore we tried a cytopoint shot.  In the meantime I removed chicken completely from her diet.  Even had to stop giving her Nubs, her favorite treat, because they're "made with real chicken."  Well, it's been night and day.  The shot was over two months ago and all the paw licking and scratching has ceased.  Just to help things I've started supplementing her diet with vitamin E and fish oil.  That should help too.  Chicken is such a common allergy, plus chickens are so pumped up with antibiotics nowadays it's no wonder our dogs itch.
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 7:40:17 PM EDT
[#15]
We do have a vet on the board in TX I think...

I hope you get it figured out
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 6:46:00 PM EDT
[#16]
How is Jaeger doing?
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top