Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/20/2023 9:12:53 AM EDT
Not shitty autozone chinesium junk (I’ve thrown two of those in the trash because they’re junk) but one that will actually click somewhere around the desired setting.

Please give me your recommendations.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 9:32:04 AM EDT
[#1]
I bought one a few years ago, made in Taiwan.

No way to test it but seems about right.

MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Link Posted: 3/20/2023 9:33:45 AM EDT
[#2]
I use a CDI. Pricey though
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 9:38:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

www.amazon.com/dp/B00C5ZL2EG

View Quote

Granted this is in the car section.

If you also want one that also works for RDS on pistols, that will not go low enough.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 9:40:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

If you also want one that also works for RDS on pistols, that will not go low enough.
View Quote

If you want it for RDS just get a fix it stick and the appropriate torque part. I have 15# one and the variable one
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 9:42:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Inch pounds are so low, I just have a beam wrench I grabbed when I needed one. Only caveat with this one is it's a 3/8 drive. Park is a name in the bicycle world that I recognized and that's been around a while so I figured it was a fairly safe bet.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09JB5N6K9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 9:47:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 9:50:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

If you want it for RDS just get a fix it stick and the appropriate torque part. I have 15# one and the variable one
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Certainly no argument from me there.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 9:54:55 AM EDT
[#8]
This is what I use, but have not verified.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 10:12:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

www.amazon.com/dp/B00C5ZL2EG

Yeah I have a fat wrench for scope rings and RDS stuff, but it doesn’t go high enough for automotive stuff, and my 1/2” drive ft-lb torque wrench doesn’t go low enough.

My 1/2” drive is a tekton that seems to do alright, so I might give this one a try.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 10:14:27 AM EDT
[#10]
I always recommend Proto torque wrenches.

Snap On quality at half the price.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 10:16:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Fat Wrench?
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 10:43:58 AM EDT
[#12]
I have tested my 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" drives in a NIST certified lab (yearly). They are all within +/-3%
I won't list the brand but 99% of the folks know where I bought them.

Link Posted: 3/20/2023 10:47:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have tested my 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" drives in a NIST certified lab (yearly). They are all within +/-3%

View Quote

Call me part of the 1%
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 10:48:15 AM EDT
[#14]
The Tekton one listed above is excellent for the price. It also works both directions, i.e. can set torque on reverse threaded fasteners which is why I bought one.

I've had one for about 3 years now and use it mostly for bicycle and high performance motorcycle engine work (very finicky fasteners in soft, incredibly expensive materials). Works great.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 11:17:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Why do you not want to list the brand?

Link Posted: 3/20/2023 12:52:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Fat Wrench?
View Quote
Wheeler Engineering. They call it that, but it looks more like a Big Fat Yellow Screwdriver with changeable bits..
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1017290554?pid=508605

I've had one for years.  Never calibrated or tested it, but it seem too do what I need it too do.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 1:01:59 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a 0-75 in lb proto dial wrench that I like.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 4:26:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Guessing Harbor Freight and didn't want to list because OP didn't want china brand

I have read decent things on their torque wrenches
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 4:57:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Guessing Harbor Freight and didn't want to list because OP didn't want china brand

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’m mainly trying to avoid snapping screws off in my transmission valve body again because the in-lb torque wrench I bought at the parts store was a nonfunctional piece of shit, but made in anywherebutchina is a big selling point too.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 4:58:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

They are Harbor Freight.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 5:14:50 PM EDT
[#22]
harbor freight actually tested well.
carcraft or hotrod tested the big name brands and hf tools and found it was just as accurate, or more so than some.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 5:51:13 AM EDT
[#23]
For automotive I use Kobalt from Lowe's. I had a really bad experience with the Harbor Freight and don't recommend their torque stuff.

For stuff that goes bang or what not I use FixIt sticks or the Fat Wrench, mine is digital...
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 6:27:35 AM EDT
[#24]
I have a Tekton as mentioned above, and I also have a dial indicator torque wrench in inch-pounds that I use on my plane.
The dial indicators aren't cheap.
The Tekton is a very good wrench.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 2:51:38 PM EDT
[#25]
I had a Craftsman ft/pound torque wrench for over a decade assuming it to be calibrated from new.  I later bought two more, one in inch-pounds but never had the need for either.

Then about six years ago I took the two new unused ones into the missile assembly building and tested them on their torque testers- both were so far off I'm glad I never used them.  Went to Sears and they were useless- torque accuracy is not part of the unlimited warranty, even from new.  

So a few days later I took the big one I had been using and tested it, and it was off by 10# low.  So the score at this point is three Craftsman torque wrenches that I can't use for anything more critical than a wheel torque.

Last year I bought a HMMWV and the hub torques are very important (well, they are if you want the wheels to stay on) so I asked around to find a place that would calibrate them all.  It was cheaper to buy new ones, at the same time recognizing that the new ones might not be any more accurate than the old.

I found several videos describing how to use weights and calibrate them at home, and I did all three.  Last month I used a Harbor Freight coupon to pick up a ½" torque converter, and used that to test the two ft/pound wrenches and they came to within 1# of each other.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 4:47:54 PM EDT
[#26]
How low do you need to go?  

It sounds like you would be better served with a 3/8” not a half inch.
17 years doing this for a living and I can count on one hand how many times I needed a 1/4” torque wrench.

I have snap on tech angle I’m 3/8” and 1/2” since they came out.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 5:37:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Proto or CDI

<------ Used to work in a Calibration laboratory
Harbor Freight isn't bad either. I have tested a bunch of them.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 6:26:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
How low do you need to go?  

It sounds like you would be better served with a 3/8” not a half inch.
17 years doing this for a living and I can count on one hand how many times I needed a 1/4” torque wrench.

I have snap on tech angle I’m 3/8” and 1/2” since they came out.
View Quote

50 in-lb to 155 ft-lbs

The 1/4” tekton showed up yesterday afternoon.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 6:34:31 PM EDT
[#29]
For future reference my 3/8” will do 60-1500 inch lbs. that’s why I think you didn’t need a 1/4”
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top