Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/4/2022 10:33:31 AM EDT
Four posts, two sets of j-hooks or pins, safety pins, a pullup attachment, and plate hangers.  Also needs to have tubular support on the bottom, ie, not need to be bolted down.

I keep seeing bad reviews for "discount" brands like Titan etc.  We have Rogues at work which are awesome, but I can't drop $3k on a rack.  I also realize the $199 amazon specials aren't what I'm looking for either.

I've kept my eye on craigslist locally, but I'm just not sure which brands are reliable.  A fully welded setup might not work as it needs to be able to fit in my home and standard doorways, so a bolt-up setup might be the ticket.

Anyone have any suggestions in the sub-$1500 range (complete, with all attachments I've listed above)?

thanks.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 11:15:16 AM EDT
[#1]

I DIY'd mine for a couple hundred bucks. Welding was required so that may be a deal breaker.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 11:29:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Four posts, two sets of j-hooks or pins, safety pins, a pullup attachment, and plate hangers.  Also needs to have tubular support on the bottom, ie, not need to be bolted down.

I keep seeing bad reviews for "discount" brands like Titan etc.  We have Rogues at work which are awesome, but I can't drop $3k on a rack.  I also realize the $199 amazon specials aren't what I'm looking for either.

I've kept my eye on craigslist locally, but I'm just not sure which brands are reliable.  A fully welded setup might not work as it needs to be able to fit in my home and standard doorways, so a bolt-up setup might be the ticket.

Anyone have any suggestions in the sub-$1500 range (complete, with all attachments I've listed above)?

thanks.
View Quote

check rogue again - I have this exact setup in my basement, it will last forever

$795 for the half rack
$215 for plate storage
$195 for spotter arms

https://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-hr-2-half-rack
https://www.roguefitness.com/monster-lite-plate-storage-channel-pair
https://www.roguefitness.com/saml-24-monster-lite-spotter-arms-pair

eta -

$92.50 for the extra set of J-cups per the op
https://www.roguefitness.com/j-3358-monster-lite-j-cups

All for under your $1500 limit

Link Posted: 8/4/2022 3:24:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I've had no complaints with my titan purchases. I own a 6 post T3, and most of the attachments available.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 3:36:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a Fitness reality one that’s going on about 2 years now. No complaints but I did have to buy the plate storage rack separately.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 3:43:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a Titan T2 that holds more than I can lift.

If I was buying again I would get their T3 without hesitation.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 10:50:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a rogue rack and a lot of other rogue gear. It’s overpriced. Titan stuff is perfectly good at a way lower price point.

hindsight being 20/20, I’d probably go with titan.
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 12:11:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Sounds like you would do well with a RML-390F. Should fit the bill for what you want/need.

https://www.roguefitness.com/rml-390f-flat-foot-monster-lite-rack

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 8:57:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote

no on rack plate storage with that option
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 9:15:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

People add weight storage pins all the time.

(None are my pictures, I don’t store weight on mine)
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 9:27:23 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a T3 rack and it’s been great, but it’s bolted to a deadlift platform. Can’t go wrong with Rogue. Look at Garage Gyn Reviews on YouTube. Great resource for information on the various racks and equipment on the market.
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 11:25:25 AM EDT
[#11]
I have racks from both Rogue and Titan. I'll probably catch shit for this but frankly the current Titan racks (X-3 and up) are every bit as good as the equivalent Rogue racks right now. The differences will be in the quality of attachments. Rogue will outshine Titan there although I have had less-than-perfect fitment on Rogue accessories as well.
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 1:13:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

You can add

Link Posted: 8/5/2022 1:52:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have a rogue rack and a lot of other rogue gear. It’s overpriced. Titan stuff is perfectly good at a way lower price point.

hindsight being 20/20, I’d probably go with titan.
View Quote

The one big thing though, is that Rogue is made in the USA, or at least the steel and iron stuff is.

I've been very happy with Titan's stuff, but I hate supporting China now more than I did when I bought it years ago.

That said, you have to look at cost to value, and for what you get it's a very good value.
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 4:11:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Facebook Marketplace is filled with commercial weight equipment most of the time.

I see "old school" racks from Cybex, Icarian, Bodymasters, etc for around $500 quite frequently.

If you have a truck and a bit of patience, you'll find what you need without dropping a lot of coin.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 10:08:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

thanks.
View Quote

@tucansam

What did you need up going with?
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 2:45:08 PM EDT
[#16]
I've been more than happy with all my Titan racks. I own the T3 four post. The T3 tall squat stand. The T3 yoke.

If you want something future proof, look at their X3 (3x3) or their Titan series (3x3 with 1 inch holes)

I've never understood the need for super expensive racks with fancy paint jobs. It just holds your barbell.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 10:34:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I've never understood the need for super expensive racks with fancy paint jobs. It just holds your barbell.
View Quote

Some people chose to support American companies and aren’t looking to buy cheap imported goods when they have a choice.

Edit: hello fellow 09’er with same post/feedback
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 7:38:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

@tucansam

What did you need up going with?
View Quote

Nothing yet, been watching Craigslist like a hawk and working on other projects.  If something doesn't pop up, I'll likely go with a mid-range Titan.  I'm 45YO and the days of me trying to reach the 1500lb club are over.  I want a quality rack, but I don't need something capable of handling competition weight.

Link Posted: 8/17/2022 9:47:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Nothing yet, been watching Craigslist like a hawk and working on other projects.  If something doesn't pop up, I'll likely go with a mid-range Titan.  I'm 45YO and the days of me trying to reach the 1500lb club are over.  I want a quality rack, but I don't need something capable of handling competition weight.

View Quote
Just a little food for thought. The cheapest rack out there will likely be more than strong enough for your weights. The differentiating factor is really what accessories are available to interface with the rack. You will eventually want to add some variety even if the big lifts are your bread and butter.
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 4:37:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Just a little food for thought. The cheapest rack out there will likely be more than strong enough for your weights. The differentiating factor is really what accessories are available to interface with the rack. You will eventually want to add some variety even if the big lifts are your bread and butter.
View Quote

This, plus both titan and rep's cheapest rack are available with just about every attachment worth getting.
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 10:49:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Where are you located?
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 10:11:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I have a Fitness reality one that’s going on about 2 years now. No complaints but I did have to buy the plate storage rack separately.
View Quote

I will second the Fitness Reality rack. Was perfect for me, and cheap enough that you can add all your extra attachments and still be well within your budget.
IIRC there's a channel on YT where that rack was tested by dropping 800# on the pins and it held up.
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 1:46:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I will second the Fitness Reality rack. Was perfect for me, and cheap enough that you can add all your extra attachments and still be well within your budget.
IIRC there's a channel on YT where that rack was tested by dropping 800# on the pins and it held up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Garage Gym Reviews, Coop tested it and was rather impressed.

Dropping 700+ LB Bar on Cheapest Amazon Squat Rack!
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 6:27:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Honestly I have a HulkFit one from Amazon (a little beefier than the one in the video above) and it has a lat pull and low pull. I got it during covid when nothing else was available, but I couldn't be happier. For about $500 I have literally everything I need.

Steel is steel. You're wasting time being picky when you could be lifting.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 7:55:06 PM EDT
[#25]
In case anyone is still following this, I managed to find a very nice Titan X-2 with some accessories locally.   $400, and considering what I got, I feel good about the deal.  I'm going to sell some other equipment that I now likely won't use so I can purchase a few more accessories.

Thanks to all who replied.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 9:10:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
In case anyone is still following this, I managed to find a very nice Titan X-2 with some accessories locally.   $400, and considering what I got, I feel good about the deal.  I'm going to sell some other equipment that I now likely won't use so I can purchase a few more accessories.

View Quote

Awesome!! Once everything is setup post in the picture and discussion thread!

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Official-Arfcom-Home-Gym-Pic-and-Discussion-Thread/113-2422099/
Link Posted: 11/21/2022 11:40:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

+1 My T2 is great. I have a short, it was all they had in stock. The only downside is having to bend my knees on pullups, but adding the pullup attachment should fix that.
Link Posted: 11/21/2022 5:50:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Unfortunately for you, Titan discontinued the X-2 rack, so you're unlikely to find accessories for it, unless you find them used, or get them custom made.

On the plus side, the X-2 is a 9 gauge rack, with welded sides.
Link Posted: 11/21/2022 7:24:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Unfortunately for you, Titan discontinued the X-2 rack, so you're unlikely to find accessories for it, unless you find them used, or get them custom made.

On the plus side, the X-2 is a 9 gauge rack, with welded sides.
View Quote

The rack came with two safety pins with covers, two j-cups, four plate holders, a dip attachment, and three pulleys, a cable, and a weight stack adapter and rope for rows and pulls.  I'm pleased overall with the setup.

Its 2x2 with 5/8" pin holes, and there are tons of accessories on amazon for it.  Chinese made of course, but then again, so is the rack.  All I really need are some cable attachments, two more j-cups, and maybe two safety arms.  
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 5:36:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Its 2x2 with 5/8" pin holes, and there are tons of accessories on amazon for it.  Chinese made of course, but then again, so is the rack.  All I really need are some cable attachments, two more j-cups, and maybe two safety arms.  
View Quote

Look more carefully, those 2x2 accessories on amazon are for 1" hole racks. The only other 2x2, 5/8" hole rack I know of is EliteFTS, and they don't sell attachments for that rack individually.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 7:36:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Look more carefully, those 2x2 accessories on amazon are for 1" hole racks. The only other 2x2, 5/8" hole rack I know of is EliteFTS, and they don't sell attachments for that rack individually.
View Quote

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B18C3979/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_17?smid=A17XTVDWM0RE42&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09V2T9NDH/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_20?smid=A8V63EHNJMK99&th=1

I believe these are 5/8" and 1/2", respectively, according to the descriptions.  

Would these not work with my 5/8" rack?  Or am I reading something wrong?
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 10:13:53 PM EDT
[#32]
I have 2 cheap Amazon type racks in my gym, don't remember the name. One is 14 years old, TDS I think. They lift just fine. I guess if you are an elite lifter pay the big bucks fir Rogue, etc. I have 14 people lifting at my place every week.
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 5:30:05 PM EDT
[#33]
I’m going to pull the trigger on a REP PR-4000 that will be pretty nice for about $1250.  Has 3x3in uprights and 11g steel.  Plenty of accessories from REP and other brands that can bolt on to for the future.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 7:24:15 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Came to post exactly this. Very happy with my T2.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 1:33:32 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have a Fitness reality one that's going on about 2 years now. No complaints but I did have to buy the plate storage rack separately.

I'm gonna give it a third.  I love mine.

If you have the coin to get something else, fine.  But for most people it's gonna do well and you can spend $1K on other stuff.
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 8:24:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
Great advice. I went with the cheap Fitness Reality 810xlt. It does everything I need and I was able to do quite a few upgrades to it...
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/6/2023 12:40:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Great advice. I went with the cheap Fitness Reality 810xlt. It does everything I need and I was able to do quite a few upgrades to it...
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/411079/received_1350222412415697_jpeg-2659598.JPG

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/411079/received_1350222412415697_jpeg-2659598.JPG

I’ve considered getting a cheap set of jammer arms for my rack (3x3), but not sure if they are worth it or not. Some people say yes, some people say no. What do you think? What do you use yours for?
Link Posted: 1/6/2023 5:06:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I’ve considered getting a cheap set of jammer arms for my rack (3x3), but not sure if they are worth it or not. Some people say yes, some people say no. What do you think? What do you use yours for?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They're worth it if you have GAS and love for your rack to look pretty.  They don't do anything a $20 landmine can't do.
Link Posted: 1/6/2023 5:44:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

They're worth it if you have GAS and love for your rack to look pretty.  They don't do anything a $20 landmine can't do.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like I’ll just stick with my landmine lol
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 6:14:56 AM EDT
[#40]
REP PR-4000 came today so I hauled the boxes down to the basement and bolted everything together.  Can’t wait to start using it.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 11:48:59 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
REP PR-4000 came today so I hauled the boxes down to the basement and bolted everything together.  Can’t wait to start using it.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/359239/5BD50E54-DD92-497D-BB23-9FD9DA98972C_jpe-2668261.JPG
View Quote

Very nice setup. I’m waiting on Rogue RM3 to come in. What cable machine is that on the right? What adjustable bench?
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 7:28:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Very nice setup. I’m waiting on Rogue RM3 to come in. What cable machine is that on the right? What adjustable bench?
View Quote

The bench is a REP AB-4100 in army green of course. The cable machine is a Hoist V1 or V2.  It’s about 12-14 years old.  It’s still a great cable machine and you can do a ton of great exercises on it.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 1:40:16 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

The bench is a REP AB-4100 in army green of course. The cable machine is a Hoist V1 or V2.  It’s about 12-14 years old.  It’s still a great cable machine and you can do a ton of great exercises on it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looks well built. I had a hard time deciding what size rack and from which company. Many choices and once you start adding on features and accessories they really jump in price.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 7:44:32 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Looks well built. I had a hard time deciding what size rack and from which company. Many choices and once you start adding on features and accessories they really jump in price.
View Quote

Exactly.  I really wanted to get Rogue stuff from my home state of Ohio but a similar rack from Rogue would’ve been around $2k.  I paid $1350 for the ‘designed in Colorado, made in China’ REP rack.  Already bought some Rogue accessories to give them some of my money.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 6:08:21 PM EDT
[#45]
I've been looking at racks too.  Have not decided on one yet.

This guy has reviewed a few and I might follow his advise:
https://gymcrafter.com/recommended-gear/recommended-racks/
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 12:46:52 AM EDT
[#46]
Titan is great. Rogue is more great. Save your money unless you squat 1k lbs.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 8:17:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don’t get the hate for Titan. Some Rep racks use 14 gauge steel while I think all Titan racks use 11.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 8:21:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I don’t get the hate for Titan. Some Rep racks use 14 gauge steel while I think all Titan racks use 11.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well for one...China.

For two, they developed a reputation of being pretty rough quality when they were first getting started...then Alan Thrall tossed them under the bus in a video where he explained that the rack he bought and then put in a commercial gym wasn't up to snuff.

I've ordered a rack, comp bumpers and a few small things like carry implements and a deadlift jack. All have been good value, not the highest quality, but very high value for the money.

They also have a rewards program which is handy, and your account can be used with their implements site as well. I ordered some skidsteer forks from them and then used the points I earned towards bumpers on the other site...that was nice.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 8:33:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

Buy enough titan stuff and you'll realize their QC is all over the place. Some of it really is as good as the US made competitors. Some of it is just terrible, and lots of it are in between. It's a roll of the dice what you're gonna get. I bought 2 racks at the same time, and they looked like they came from different factories. One was finished significantly nicer.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 10:10:46 PM EDT
[#50]
After watching/reading many reviews, it did not make any sense to choose china when I could afford a few hundred more for made in USA. So I bought the Rogue RML-390F Flat Foot Monster Lite Rack. Everything arrived in perfect condition and looks great. I downloaded and am using the Starting Strength App since I am an old guy now.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top