Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2021 2:20:02 PM EDT
For my truck, the wife's vehicle and wheelbarrow tires.

The one I have is getting old and is slow as death, just adding 2lbs of air is an ordeal

I want small, and light weight.

DC powered from the accessory outlet

Digital would be nice

And faster than the one I have

Again, small enough to fit behind the seat in my truck

Amazon has a ton of choices, sometimes too many

Any recommendations?

Link Posted: 1/8/2021 3:27:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Good thing you 're in NC. I thought maybe this was you.
Compressor explosion rattles neighborhood
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 5:10:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I’ve got a small viair. It’s decently quick but needs to be connected directly to the battery. Not premium quality and I’ve had to do a self-repair when it stopped pumping properly. The company made it clear that they don’t want to repair these things since they charge a hefty fee to inspect. For the money buy a Chinese clone since they’re all built almost identically.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 5:14:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I have this one and it works pretty well.  Just set the pressure and start.  It will stop when it hits your desired pressure.  It is relatively quick as well.

MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Link Posted: 1/8/2021 7:39:50 PM EDT
[#5]
This might be too cheap for you or not good enough. But my Lowes was clearing these out for $13.50 I picked up two

12V compressor
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 11:56:45 PM EDT
[#6]
If you are filling truck and car tires, you want the type that connect directly to the battery with clips. The 12v charge port types are fine for lawn mower and power sports tires but you need more to fill auto/truck tires IMO.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 12:16:52 AM EDT
[#7]
You want one that clips to the battery, not run through the cig lighter outlet. An air compressor takes a lot of power to not be unbearably slow. Each of my on board air compressors draw 30 amps at 150psi.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 12:21:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've got a small viair. It's decently quick but needs to be connected directly to the battery. Not premium quality and I've had to do a self-repair when it stopped pumping properly. The company made it clear that they don't want to repair these things since they charge a hefty fee to inspect. For the money buy a Chinese clone since they're all built almost identically.
View Quote
The small ones are kinda crappy, like everything else cheap. Their larger compressors (over 300 model numbers) are fantastic. I have been running dual 400s for about 8 years and use them several times a week to fill 35" tires from 4-7psi up to 30psi.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 11:42:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Viair
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 11:50:20 AM EDT
[#10]
I suspect it’s correct about the higher dollar Viair’s. When i disassembled my ‘little’ Viair i found the only major difference between it and the far cheaper clones was how the flapper valve was attached to the pump piston. Screws vs clips. Otherwise same/same.  An issue to be somewhat concerned about is none of the small ones have ANY incoming air filtration. If your in a dusty/dirty/sandy environment your sandblasting the guts of your air compressor every time you use it.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 1:51:48 PM EDT
[#11]
What about getting one of those CO2 power tank adaptors that go on a 20 oz paint ball tanks.

Guys have made their own by using a paint ball remote adaptor and an air chuck.

Link Posted: 1/9/2021 7:18:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Any reviews on this ?  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 7:20:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Harbor freight compressor

Link Posted: 1/9/2021 8:52:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What about getting one of those CO2 power tank adaptors that go on a 20 oz paint ball tanks.

Guys have made their own by using a paint ball remote adaptor and an air chuck.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2694/2808/products/co2-bottle-power-shot-no-tire-repair-kit-matte-black-power-tank-main_1200x1200.jpg?v=1588623108
https://i.imgur.com/LhEZw.jpg
View Quote

I have one and it has a few issues why I don’t like them in general although they do work....somewhat.

If you fill a large tire, the rapid draw from the tank causes it to freeze up. When it freezes up, flow stops or slows to almost nothing. The only thing you can do is stop and wait for the tank to warm back up.

The valves on the tanks are notorious for leaking. It sucks when you have it sitting in your vehicle for awhile and then you go to use it and it doesn’t have any CO2 left to use.

I no longer use it and only use 12v compressors for use on the road. I use 120v and 240v compressors to fill tires (and other duties) around the house.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 8:55:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

I keep a few of those in ATVs and they work fine for that job. ATV tires are pretty low pressure (5-15 psi typically). I would not use that compressor to try to fill a car or even worse, a truck tire.

This is a better one for cars. I have these in my vehicles and they work well.

Link Posted: 1/9/2021 11:12:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've got that compressor and I've been pretty happy with it. Used it on bike tires, generator tires, donut spare tires and to top off car tires.

I bought it after seeing this review.

Which Portable Tire Pump is Best? Let's find out!

Link Posted: 1/10/2021 1:17:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Not exactly what you asked but I recently bought the Ryobi 18v inflator for $20 from HD for those kinds of uses (bike tires, mower tires, topping off car tires) and it works well for that. Cordless is handy.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 1:37:55 PM EDT
[#18]
I've been using one of these for about 10-12 years,it fills a truck tire up pretty fast.
https://masterflowair.com/products/mf-1050
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 2:01:04 PM EDT
[#19]
I have that exact compressor.  The hose crumbled.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 4:50:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Interesting.  How old was it?  Where did you store it, in a hot car?

I've had mine for probably close to 2 years and so far no issues... last used it a few days ago to top off bike tires.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top