Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/23/2021 11:27:10 PM EDT
Long ago, I ripped all of my CDs, and uploaded them to the google play music cloud.  I made playlists.  I had a "recently played" list.  I could put those playlists I played all the time locally on my phone so I didn't blow through data.

Then, Google Play Music went away.  YouTube Music showed up.

What a shitshow.  Now I have to watch an ad before I listen to the content I own!?!?!?!

Is there some sort of "PLEX, but for music" out there? I want to leave all my music on my Synology, and stream it over my cell connection.  OR, have the option to store the most-played stuff on the phone and play that musis.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:53:00 PM EDT
[#1]
umm looks like plex has that too https://www.plex.tv/your-media/music/

or can try emby.

or http://ampache.org/
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:10:11 AM EDT
[#2]
It's called a bigass sd card.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 9:19:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This. Just copy them to an sd card. I've got a few thousand on my phone.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 9:43:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Most phones don't have SD cards anymore.
Phones are coming with stupid large amount of storage built in, though.  Even the budget ones are showing up with 32 and 64GB of storage.  Push a couple GB worth of music to the phone.  Roughly 1000 songs per 3GB of space.  How long does it take you to listen to 1000 different songs?  Most people wont go through them in several years.  It'll be time for a new phone by the time you run out of songs.

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 9:59:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Plex Amp

Plex spun out a separate app just for music. Works with your existing plex library, but is a much better experience for music listening compared to using the regular plex app on your phone.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:36:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is what l did. I too used Google music and was annoyed when it switched to YouTube music. I found a free app called musicolet that works good for stored songs SD card and it has zero ads.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:02:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Phones are coming with stupid large amount of storage built in, though.  Even the budget ones are showing up with 32 and 64GB of storage.  Push a couple GB worth of music to the phone.  Roughly 1000 songs per 3GB of space.  How long does it take you to listen to 1000 different songs?  Most people wont go through them in several years.  It'll be time for a new phone by the time you run out of songs.

View Quote

This is why my selection criteria ALWAYS includes a micro SD slot and a 3.5mm audio jack.

PS:  Fuck Apple.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 3:23:08 AM EDT
[#8]
just remembered "subsonic" may be what you are looking for.

http://www.subsonic.org/pages/index.jsp
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 3:56:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Synology has an app for this, if you run a Synology NAS.
If not Synology, Plex Amp is probably great.  I use regular Plex for this occasionally.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 12:33:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

This, or regular phone storage.  The idea of paying for data to stream something I already own is...peculiar.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 1:20:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Loving PlexAMP!
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 8:11:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got a 128gb mSD card in my Samsung.  Got like 4p gigs of music on there
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top