Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/29/2020 7:00:10 AM EDT
This has basically brought the bar business to a halt , I play in two bands , a blues and classic country . I really miss the gigs . Yeah its only local roadhouses and bars but its about the enjoyment I get from playin and seeing folks have a good time . Anyone else feel this way ?
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 11:27:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Ive been a gigging musician for 30 years and decided to stand down last year last gig being may 5th.
I really miss it. In some aspects its been nice though. Its hard to get back on the train once you're off thats for sure.

Im sure this virus has shut down that entire industry.
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 10:23:45 PM EDT
[#2]
OP, What are you doing to scratch the itch during this time?
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 10:47:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I’m usually in the clubs 3-4 nights each week and performing 2 nights each week.  I am bored beyond belief.

However some friends are doing gigs on-line and except for the sound quality, it worked out pretty well.  I expect to see more of this .
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 5:52:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I tell folks...
"Well, I used to play in a band.."
Everything in Maine is shut down, bars, concerts, festivals etc.. till further notice.
We just got our stay at home order from the dem gov.
Don't have the tech to jam remotely so fuck it..
I'm jammin with some of our sound tracks and you tubes..
Have a beef critter & chickens as well as honey-do list to keep me from total boredom.
Plus the shit posting here on ARF.
Hang in there.. better days will come.
Keep pickin!
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 3:52:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm usually in the clubs 3-4 nights each week and performing 2 nights each week.  I am bored beyond belief.

However some friends are doing gigs on-line and except for the sound quality, it worked out pretty well.  I expect to see more of this .
View Quote
I would like to see Bandcamp or Soundcloud (or other platform) come up with a way for folks to view live remote shows for minimal cost.  I would think it would be good as a lot of local bands could have exposure to folks outside their geographic (?).  I would pay to see some of my friends' bands on a livestream..
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 8:13:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
OP, What are you doing to scratch the itch during this time?
View Quote
Not a whole lot , I use to rehearse 2x a week , one with a country and one with a blues band . I been going over and trying to work out new songs for  the blues band .  The first gig back is going to be a welcome sight
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 8:15:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm usually in the clubs 3-4 nights each week and performing 2 nights each week.  I am bored beyond belief.

View Quote
Some of my friends have been doing weekly 30 minute live solo shows
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 2:31:04 PM EDT
[#8]
I started out in '63 playing for a living and did so until 1970, when I became a father and went to work at a real job for the health benefits. I did this until retirement but continued to play gigs, even six-nighters in the '70s/'80s. After retirement I continue to play and am in 3 bands right now. This is the longest I have been idle in all those years - I would PAY to play a gig! But, all you can do is do tele-playing and wait it out. I'll tell you one thing, when it breaks loose its going to be wild!
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 9:47:23 AM EDT
[#9]
I been playing in the saloons since the late 60’s.  Except for a short time out of the country I been playing.  Classic and blues.  This is driving me and the boys batty. None of us are sweet young thangs so we have all stayed home. Yep, I miss the anticipation and the excitement and watching people have a great time. Doing yard work, TV, and reading doesn’t compare  I am learning some new theory and tunes I will never use; just killing time til we can play again.
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 8:21:11 PM EDT
[#10]
The gang I play with, various very good freinds from college and HS spread across MI, get together a couple times a year, usually November and April, to have a guys weekend and practice some songs for the one or two low key gigs we play a year.  It's an excuse for the guys just to get together and have a fun weekend.  We were scheduled to get together last weekend and it didn't happen.  I'd been looking forward to it for months.  I'm going though withdraw because I have nothing to look forward to now.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 2:05:12 AM EDT
[#11]
I've had the same Tuesday night gig for almost 30 years, plus one Wednesday and one Thursday evening gig per month, then 3-4 weekend jobs per month. I have good full time day job, so I don't miss playing as much as I miss the few to several hundred dollars a month I had to blow as I pleased. What IS nice is I have more time than ever to shoot and I do so almost every day, and have plenty of time to keep the yard mowed, the garden taken care of, the cattle checked on. I almost dread when this all blows ever and the playing jobs, and the associated stress, start again.

I keep and fiddle, guitar and mandolin handy in my study and occasionally pick one of them up and goof around for a few minutes.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 7:33:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
This has basically brought the bar business to a halt , I play in two bands , a blues and classic country . I really miss the gigs . Yeah its only local roadhouses and bars but its about the enjoyment I get from playin and seeing folks have a good time . Anyone else feel this way ?
View Quote

Im torn....

Gigs were really my primary means of social interaction outside of work...So from that aspect I miss them.

What I don't miss is getting in at 3 am or later...

There's also the fact that as time goes on, Im more interested in creating good music, and that always doesn't come from gigs (Most of mine were in jam bands which never rehearsed, so there was a lot of sloppiness).
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 10:18:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Last time i gigged was probably 89? I'll occasionally help a friend's band setup and breakdown at local clubs.  I've found that despite having moonlighted working in clubs for years, i can no longer tolerate the smoke. Right before this thing hit us, i found a local band that does absolutely incredible Allman Brothers covers/mashups at a local smoke free club... Mark Mays Band. They lit that small bar and grill up.  I couldn't find any clips of them doing Whippin' Post post but here's a recent one i found on YT.

Mark May and Band covering "Southbound" at Kenny Dorham's Backyard

Link Posted: 6/10/2020 4:13:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Local Road House opening up on the 18th , they got an outdoor pavilion - bar - stage - dining . The country band I play with will be there on the 20th , rehearsal tonight , cant wait  
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 5:54:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Local Road House opening up on the 18th , they got an outdoor pavilion - bar - stage - dining . The country band I play with will be there on the 20th , rehearsal tonight , cant wait  
View Quote

I'd love to see that just so i could say i saw a country band in NJ!
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 6:13:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We opened for Travis Tritt couple years ago , and  Confederate Railroad back in Sept at a club in upstate N Y
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 6:12:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Feel the same.    Gear is sitting idle in the house..
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 12:36:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
We opened for Travis Tritt couple years ago , and  Confederate Railroad back in Sept at a club in upstate N Y
View Quote

Almost famous!  Pretty cool!  

Good luck with the show.  I hope it's a success for the band and for the venue.
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 4:39:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ive been lucky over the years , right place right time , Im expecting a big crowd for this show , as much as the new occupancy law will allow anyway , my long time buddy who runs this band is a great entertainer , we pack them in
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 3:25:54 PM EDT
[#20]
I gigged pretty much as a second job for 20+ years. Loved parts of it, hated parts of it, but wrung that dishrag out completely.

I feel terrible for the guys who got shut down for all the COVID bullshit, but I'm happy as hell not to lug around equipment until 3am anymore.

Also pretty happy to never play songs I don't like anymore, made a vow I'd only write and play stuff that I really enjoyed from here on out, and although I do some rare showcase and live gigs, that will pretty much keep me out of the bars until I die.

Lol.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 4:02:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I gigged pretty much as a second job for 20+ years. Loved parts of it, hated parts of it, but wrung that dishrag out completely.

I feel terrible for the guys who got shut down for all the COVID bullshit, but I'm happy as hell not to lug around equipment until 3am anymore.

Also pretty happy to never play songs I don't like anymore, made a vow I'd only write and play stuff that I really enjoyed from here on out, and although I do some rare showcase and live gigs, that will pretty much keep me out of the bars until I die.

Lol.
View Quote
I understand the "songs I hate " thing . One band I play in is classic country , the other band I front is a blues/boogie band , we do stuff we like to play , most people never heard the songs , but they are drinking tapping their feet and dancing . A lot of folks ask for our set list after a gig so they can find them and download them . My worst fear is going out to see a local band and having them ask to get up and play a tune with them , 9 out of 10 times its roadhouse blues , I hate that fucking song with a passion .
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 4:19:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I understand the "songs I hate " thing . One band I play in is classic country , the other band I front is a blues/boogie band , we do stuff we like to play , most people never heard the songs , but they are drinking tapping their feet and dancing . A lot of folks ask for our set list after a gig so they can find them and download them . My worst fear is going out to see a local band and having them ask to get up and play a tune with them , 9 out of 10 times its roadhouse blues , I hate that fucking song with a passion .
View Quote

I love the STYLE of music that's popular in bars and clubs...classic rock, country, blues....it's all good. I just can't stand that the crowds can't tolerate anything but hearing yet another rendition of "Mustang Sally" or "Wonderful Tonight" so they can dance with their drunk assed wife and fall into my amp stand, lol. I mean, fuck, those songs were new at some point and a crowd heard them for the first time. It's like outside of a few streets of hipster bars, the only places that have live music are filled with people who jumped off the musical train in 1988 and nothing made after that can be listened to while they eat wings.

If I never have to strum the chords to "Simple Man" again in my life, I will consider that a victory.

Sometimes I'll sit down and "re-imagine" classic rock. Write a song or record it from the idea that I'm around in 1976 and opening for Bad Company or something, and this is the song I'm gonna open the show with it. I used to sneak those songs into our set sometimes, just to see who was paying attention. Made me happy when someone would ask who did that one, or guess (and it was wrong).
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 4:58:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wanna join my Nickelback tribute band?
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 5:05:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

The band that people want to hear even less than my original music!
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 7:43:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/12/2020 8:04:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

We can do it out of spite.
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 10:52:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

We can do it out of spite.
View Quote

I believe that was the idea behind Nickleback to begin with. They just hated people, and wrote accordingly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top