Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2020 12:44:18 PM EDT
[UPDATES are in-line below for Day 5 and Day 6]

Resetting my body, flushing things out.  Since Tuesday at 8PM, the only things I've consumed are a LOT of water, one zero calorie 28oz Powerade per day and a daily multivitamin; absolutely nothing else.  I do not get headaches very often - my entire life, I've probably only had a dozen (I'm mid-40's).  I mention that because most people do get a headache when their body going into ketosis - but I don't, for some reason.  I've generally been fit.  I'm 6'2" and usually weigh about 210.  I lift weights 3 days per week, swim 1.5 miles per day 5 days per week and mountain bike one day a week (about 17 miles).  Last year, I hurt my arm and my ability to exercise was significantly impacted if I wanted to fully let it heal.  It got me out of habits and my eating worsened as well.  So as a result, I gained a lot of weight.  Last Tuesday morning (I always weigh myself in the morning), I clocked in at 260.6 lbs.  

This is not my first time doing this type of fast; I've done it before for 6 days.  That experience pretty much mirrors this one so far.

Day 1 is not too hard, but typical "I'm hungry" feelings and stomach growls.  Cravings for food.  Had to keep myself out of the kitchen all day, or quickly do what needed to be done in the kitchen.  Keeping myself super-busy is critical.  Went to bed about 9pm.

Day 2 is by far the hardest.  Hungry all day, lots of stomach growling.  Required intense focus to keep busy on things and not even think about food.  Day 2 has always been the hardest, so I spent most of the day working on projects.  No issues with focus or concentration.  Went to bed at ~9pm.

Day 3 was over the hump and very easy.  Not hungry at all.  No stomach growling.  Obviously in ketosis at this point, so body using stored fat for fuel.  Ketones test strips confirmed.  Felt very good all day.  Didn't need to keep super-focused on other things to continue.  Easiest day.  Morning weight was 251.8.

Day 4 is pretty much like day 3 - easy, no issue.  Stayed up a bit later than usual watching a movie with my wife (to 11 pm), and had some stomach growling at that point, but minor.  No effect on sleep.  Pretty much like day 3.

Day 5 is starting out like day 4, but a few stomach growls - though I don't feel hungry.  Should be fairly easy as well.  Weighed myself this morning at 245.5.  I feel like I could go longer than a week, but I am going to stick to the plan.  
[added after day 5 conclusion]: Towards the end of day 5, I definitely started to feel weaker, less energetic and was feeling pretty hungry.  Good thing it fell on a 'lazy' Sunday; took a nap and went to bed a bit early.

Day 6 is pretty much the same as day 5 in the morning - a few stomach growls, but definitely a 'hunger' which is not normal for me in the morning.  Get the feeling that today will be a bit more difficult and am glad I will be eating later this evening.  Weighed in at 241.2.  That'll be the bottom number since I will be eating tonight - so 19.4 pounds came off in less than a week.  So pretty much about 4-5 pounds per day are dropping.  I realize that despite drinking a lot of water, that's still probably about 50% water weight that I am losing.  When all is said and done, I expect that I will gain back another 8-10 pounds (hopefully less) over the next few days as my body re-accustoms to eating and restores its supplies and reserves, and then begins dropping again as I resume my planned calorie-deficit eating plan of about 1600-1800 calories per day.

When I start eating again, I usually go with something very light - homemade chicken soup and expect to consume about 1000 calories on Day 6 when I break my fast.

It's mostly about keeping busy during this; and staying out of the kitchen.  I didn't need to sleep longer than normal and I am able to keep my daily activity at a normal pace.

When I do these extended fasts, it benefits me in that my stomach shrinks a bit, I remove all my cravings and it's much easier to get back to 'zero' with regard to the food I typically was eating (healthy).  

AMA?
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 2:16:23 PM EDT
[#1]
So are you going to do keto after the fast and get back down to 210?
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 2:40:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So are you going to do keto after the fast and get back down to 210?
View Quote
That's the plan.  I've done keto before, but my issue is that I don't find keto to be a permanently sustainable option for me.  Now that my arm is healed, once I drop my weight a bit, I will get back into lifting and cardio.  My goal here is to get back to where I was and eliminate all sweets and avoid the trap of "just one cookie/candy/etc" again.  That was my downfall over the last year or so - and I developed a craving/addiction for them, so I need to get rid of that - this is the first step to help me get a boost.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 6:04:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like a good plan.

Best of luck.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 7:28:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Very impressive results!

I’ve been wanting to do something similar. I’ve done Keto with great results. Probably will do intermittent fasts.

I’m holding off trying water only fasts for now after what Dr. Peter Atta said here.
https://www.zerofasting.com/fasting-and-covid-19/
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 8:18:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Very impressive results!

I’ve been wanting to do something similar. I’ve done Keto with great results. Probably will do intermittent fasts.

I’m holding off trying water only fasts for now after what Dr. Peter Atta said here.
https://www.zerofasting.com/fasting-and-covid-19/
View Quote

IF is a good way to introduce the idea to your body. I sort of eat that way anyhow but find it does help when I’m trying to lose a few lbs and I’m strict about it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 10:31:04 AM EDT
[#6]
[Updated my original post for day 5]

Yeah, I did think about that before I started (no food for that long = a weaker body and immune system), but my exposure is extremely limited and I felt that it was a justifiable risk to help accelerate a 180 degree turn on my health direction.
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 6:42:42 AM EDT
[#7]
What are you doing for activity during all this?

I would be feeling like the walking dead trying to work without food.
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 8:51:40 AM EDT
[#8]
I've never done a complete fast but I did cut out sugar and carbs. That first week is tough but worth it. Anybody who doesn't believe sugar/simple carbs are addicting has never tried to stop.
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 10:28:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I've never done a complete fast but I did cut out sugar and carbs. That first week is tough but worth it. Anybody who doesn't believe sugar/simple carbs are addicting has never tried to stop.
View Quote
For me, that is more difficult than just stopping eating ALL food.  Probably more of a mental thing for me though.  Once I have gone several days w/o food though, processed sweet foods like cookies, candy, etc - have ZERO appeal to me; and that's what I am after when doing this.
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 10:28:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What are you doing for activity during all this?

I would be feeling like the walking dead trying to work without food.
View Quote
My experience has been that I don't really start losing steam until after about 4 days w/o food.  Granted, my day job is sitting in front of a computer, but I did spend the remainder of my time during this fast doing yard-work, cleaning out my garage, working on cars (oil changes, etc) and didn't feel any loss of energy until day 5.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 10:35:43 AM EDT
[#11]
If I go more than 10 hour without food I'm starving but I burn about 3500 cals a day.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 12:39:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Not sure if I'd do one that long (just personally) but I love to do 18-36 hr fasts on occasion. Just sort of...reminds myself I can be disciplined with food, and resets how I think about it. More mental for me than anything.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 1:56:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If I go more than 10 hour without food I'm starving but I burn about 3500 cals a day.
View Quote

You're not starving, you are really hungry.

Link Posted: 4/26/2020 12:57:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Not sure if I'd do one that long (just personally) but I love to do 18-36 hr fasts on occasion. Just sort of...reminds myself I can be disciplined with food, and resets how I think about it. More mental for me than anything.
View Quote

Thats the only reason id even consider starving myself.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top