Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:03:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Get a barn cat. They are murder machines.
View Quote

They kill anything and everything then they shit in your garden and the barn and screech at night. No thanks.  Got rid of mine.  

Being clean wont help. I have a pole barn full of mice and there is zero food.  Been killing them for years.  Best strategy is to never let them in.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:17:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Home made 5 gallon bucket trap.

Works 24/7. Accepts multiple participants with no resetting. No poisons involved, safe around pets and kids.

Multiple YouTube vids with different designs.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:20:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Keep trapping, you'll get them.
View Quote

Put traps in every corner of your kitchen, pantry, and everywhere else they frequent.  They come in during the winter. You’ll get them.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:27:53 AM EDT
[#4]
The key is you need to keep them from getting in there to begin with.

Our home is in a heavily wooded area, with rock walls and rock piles everywhere and plenty of food sources. The first year we had mice, flying squirrels and bats and it was evident that mice had previously been an issue in the home based on all the droppings. It took some time and effort but I sealed up every possible place that just about anything can get in. Aside from the occasional small spider or bug we have been pest free. Of course depending on home construction this has varying levels of difficulty. It also helps to keep their habitat as far away from your house as possible.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:40:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:43:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Trapping is a bandaid.

Cheap Victor traps work well. Smear peanut butter on all sides of the trigger plate, including underneath. Also, where the plate and bar touch, as works as lube to help the cheap traps actually work.

As for the problem, you NEED to seal up your house. Door and window foam, mixed with steel wool if needed so they can't chew threw it, to seal everything up. You have to stop the source or you'll always have big issues.

For now, start trapping like a mofo.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:52:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:54:59 AM EDT
[#8]
I use molasses with a sprinkle of oats on snap traps. Sprinkle the oats on the molasses and around the traps.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:02:44 AM EDT
[#9]
We told ya you had more than one.

Good news is, you are catching them. You'll get one, then a fury of them, then one again, then none.  They will be back, keep the traps set and catch them as they find you.

You can't keep them out, but you can keep the numbers down by trapping.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:16:35 AM EDT
[#10]
BTDT

You have holes letting them in.
1. start by putting aluminum screen wire under all HVAC vents.  Lot of work, get to it.  Next do the air intake vents.
2. Mice are getting under your house.  If your house is on piers and completely open, find and enclose all openings from below.  Use metal screen or steel woll, then spray that nasty spray foam all around it.  
3. glue traps are your friend. Get like 20 and put them everywhere until you can find and close up the holes.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:19:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Do you have dog food bags loitering around?
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:34:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Trapping is a bandaid.

Cheap Victor traps work well. Smear peanut butter on all sides of the trigger plate, including underneath. Also, where the plate and bar touch, as works as lube to help the cheap traps actually work.

As for the problem, you NEED to seal up your house. Door and window foam, mixed with steel wool if needed so they can't chew threw it, to seal everything up. You have to stop the source or you'll always have big issues.

For now, start trapping like a mofo.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:35:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
We have cats, and the fuckers are too well fed and too lazy to the job.

OP, my wife got those little black box electronic shock gizmo thingys, and they always get 'em for us. We put peanut butter in them as bait.
View Quote
Easy solution for that.

And I'm not talking about Dachau-levels of starvation.  Just reduce their rations a bit so they get motivated to start looking for other means of income.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:50:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

the smell doesn't last more than a day or two.

Those of us in older houses that live near fields and woods generally have little choice but to use poison.

There are actually a few feral cats that prowl around here and I think I'll start making them feel more at home on my property by leaving some food and maybe a shelter out for them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Keeping trapping them. The only problem with poison is that they'll die in a corner somewhere and smell.

We get 2-3 a year coming in from the woods somewhere. I use those reusable white plastic traps that work awesome.

the smell doesn't last more than a day or two.

Those of us in older houses that live near fields and woods generally have little choice but to use poison.

There are actually a few feral cats that prowl around here and I think I'll start making them feel more at home on my property by leaving some food and maybe a shelter out for them.
Excellent idea.  Please try to trap them, get them fixed and then release them again.  It will be much more healthier for the cats, reduce fighting (and the noise and pissing that comes with it) and reduces feral cat over populations.  The local Spay Neuter Clinic should only charge $30-$40.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:52:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

They kill anything and everything then they shit in your garden and the barn and screech at night. No thanks.  Got rid of mine.  

Being clean wont help. I have a pole barn full of mice and there is zero food.  Been killing them for years.  Best strategy is to never let them in.
View Quote
Sounds like they're not fixed, because that's one of the problems with intact cats: they fight, piss and howl at night for mating purposes.  Neutering them fixes all that.

I have 12 shop cats; except when they jump up on my lap, all you ever hear from them is their purring.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:11:14 AM EDT
[#16]
trap until they are gone, then two things to do in future years.  Get the bait/poison things that you put in the plastic container and put those out in October around your yard where mice might be as they migrate towards your house in fall.  This poison takes several days of repeated eating to kill them (in order to be safe for other animals) so it has to be in good spots.  Second is to seal up every crack you find.  Look for places previous owners have done work, where services come through walls, door frames, etc.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:13:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Have you guys ever hunted with animals before? Terriers are really effective rodent-killers, so are minks/ferrets. I had a ferret specifically trained to hunt rodents in the barn, much more effective than any other trap. I do agree with the previous guy; animal traps are a band-aid solution if you don't control the root of the problem. Discouraging by making sure there's no food and water and shelter around is a first step, exclusion is key - something like a mouse can fit into a hole as tiny as your pinkie finger.

Quoted:
The three on the glue trap were burned up in fire.  
View Quote

So you burned them alive? Why? What is your major malfunction? If they're still alive on the trap, a shovel to the neck and it's all over. Quick and clean. Yet you went out of your way to waste lighter fluid and take a photo of what is effectively torture? Killing them is fine; torture isn't.

I could hurl a lot of adjectives at you, none of them positive. You're not impressing anyone with this sadistic shit.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:28:38 PM EDT
[#18]
I’ll agree with the comments about sealing up your house. When we first moved into the house we have now, we had mice in the attic. Started looking around the house and found several spots. Where the water faucets came through the brick to outside hookups were loose. Someone had replaced the original ones and didn’t backfill with mortar or anything. Same thing around all the copper piping going into brick from central unit. Way too much room for mice to crawl in.

I actually used spray foam to fill all my spots. I was wondering how it would hold up if they decided to chew it. I came back a few days later and found 7 dead mice outside my brick near the faucet that was foamed. I haven’t figured that one out yet. Not sure if they tried to eat the foam and it killed them dead on the spot or what. No more mice issues though.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:31:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Also watch for things they might eat that you might not think of. I had mice, but only in the basement. They ate part of a candle, chili peppers I had dried from the garden, and the rice from a homemade heating pad / rice sock.

Obviously chili peppers and rice are food, but they weren’t something I was really thinking about until mice had already gotten into them. Plus they didn’t just eat the rice, most of it they moved into shoes, so even if you don’t think there is a food source, they may have gotten into something and hid it somewhere else.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:33:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Seal up your house?
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:33:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The three you caught in a glue trap you lit on fire? I hate rodents and wish death to any that enter my house, but you are a sick fuck if you killed them in that manner.
View Quote

This.

Jeffrey Dahmer used to do this sort of shit before he got bored and moved to bigger prey. I'll have no issue stepping on a mouse with my heavy workboots, but setting a live mammal on fire is beyond fucked up. Possible felony animal torture too.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:37:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Have you guys ever hunted with animals before? Terriers are really effective rodent-killers, so are minks/ferrets. I had a ferret specifically trained to hunt rodents in the barn, much more effective than any other trap. I do agree with the previous guy; animal traps are a band-aid solution if you don't control the root of the problem. Discouraging by making sure there's no food and water and shelter around is a first step, exclusion is key - something like a mouse can fit into a hole as tiny as your pinkie finger.

So you burned them alive? Why? What is your major malfunction? If they're still alive on the trap, a shovel to the neck and it's all over. Quick and clean. Yet you went out of your way to waste lighter fluid and take a photo of what is effectively torture? Killing them is fine; torture isn't.

I could hurl a lot of adjectives at you, none of them positive. You're not impressing anyone with this sadistic shit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:43:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

@Ausbang

Something I didn't know until a month or two ago...

The 'glue traps' are also poison. So they SHOULD already be dead, unless OP got to them really quickly. It's sweet, so they eat at the 'glue.'
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:46:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

@Ausbang

Something I didn't know until a month or two ago...

The 'glue traps' are also poison. So they SHOULD already be dead, unless OP got to them really quickly. It's sweet, so they eat at the 'glue.'
View Quote

That's a head-scratcher, 'cos they're often marketed as non-toxic and people use them as an alternative to snap traps because kids or pets might get a hand or paw in one of those. OP also said they were still alive when the photo was taken.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:49:51 PM EDT
[#25]
You need a hunter killer cat. get a female kitten. and If possible get one with stray cat blood line (ask any body shop business or similar in any bad neighborhood).
That kitten will protect 24/7your place against rats (some even might say bad spirits too). because she will see your family as her children to protect.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:55:02 PM EDT
[#26]
El gato loves this kind of work.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:57:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Looks like you need some prevention.  I used the Tomcat bait stations for years at our old home.  I rarely got mice provided I kept them filled.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:00:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Have to find where they are coming in. Otherwise your just going to be chasing your tail(and theirs).
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:03:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Don't use poison.
If the fuckers are in the house it's a good bet they are in the walls and attic.
What do animals do when they are sick and dying?
They crawl off into a nice space where they can die.

When they die inside of your walls or attic they'll start to stink for a couple of months.
It's fucking nasty.

Keep setting traps, look for how they are getting into the house (hint, look at where your gas pipes come into the house, behind the dryer and the stove.
Look at electrical junction boxes, unscrew the faceplates and look inside of the junction box.

Get a cat or two.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Crawl space? Seal up so dogs and cats cannot get in, poison those bastards.

Don't use poison.
If the fuckers are in the house it's a good bet they are in the walls and attic.

When they die inside of your walls or attic they'll start to stink for a couple of months.
It's fucking nasty.

Keep setting traps, look for how they are getting into the house (hint, look at where your gas pipes come into the house, behind the dryer and the stove.
Look at electrical junction boxes, unscrew the faceplates and look inside of the junction box.

Get a cat or two.

Only their not sick and dying, they've been poisoned. They go looking for water, the baits are a blood thinner which makes them terribly thirsty.

The fuckers ate through the side of a 10lb bag of havoc blocks and rarely if ever(once maybe) have we had a dead one in the wall.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:05:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Anything other than sealing your house is a waste of time.

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:16:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
So the torture of a glue trap (fear, trapped in an uncomfortable position, starvation) is OK but chucking them in the fire is a nogo?

Fucking peta members.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:18:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

This.

Jeffrey Dahmer used to do this sort of shit before he got bored and moved to bigger prey. I'll have no issue stepping on a mouse with my heavy workboots, but setting a live mammal on fire is beyond fucked up. Possible felony animal torture too.
View Quote
Lol!

Just gives them a stern talking to!

Are your "Heavy work boots" shaped like clown shoes by chance?
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:40:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
So the torture of a glue trap (fear, trapped in an uncomfortable position, starvation) is OK but chucking them in the fire is a nogo?

Fucking peta members.
View Quote

Is reading too hard for you? As long as you swiftly kill the animal, yes, it's better than being set on fire. Wow.

Good luck finding a PETA member who suggests a shovel and ferrets.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:43:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:43:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Are you dirty?
View Quote

I'd suggest "NastyNick" for a new screen name.  
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:45:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Goodnature mouse and rat traps, I have killed hundreds at my duck club
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 2:18:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Only their not sick and dying, they've been poisoned. They go looking for water, the baits are a blood thinner which makes them terribly thirsty.

The fuckers ate through the side of a 10lb bag of havoc blocks and rarely if ever(once maybe) have we had a dead one in the wall.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Crawl space? Seal up so dogs and cats cannot get in, poison those bastards.

Don't use poison.

It's fucking nasty.

Get a cat or two.

I had a rat problem when I had horses, the feed attracted every rat in the tri-state area. I went to my local farmer supply store and asked what they recommended. They sold me a 4 or 5 pound pail of rodent bait. I confirmed with neighbors the bait worked wonders.

I placed a handful of the bait chinks near a rat hole in the ground, and covered the hole and bait with a metal bushel basket. The plastic bucket containing the rest of the bait was closed and placed on a small box about 10 feet away from the bushel basket.

The next day I went out to see if the scattered bait had been eaten and was I in for a surprise. The rats had eaten the scattered bait, dug a slight channel to get out from under the metal basket, and then chewed away a portion of the bait bucket's lid and an entire side of the bucket. Not a trace of the actual bait was to be found. They loved the stuff, but there was still a bit of activity, so I bought another bucket of the stuff and that took care of the problem for awhile.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 2:26:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Are your "Heavy work boots" shaped like clown shoes by chance?
View Quote

Mate I don't really know what your problem is. I offered advice and a way to actually dispatch them on the trap, that you interpret this as some PETA-level shit is a mystery to me.

Bottom line is, burning an animal to death after you catch it is completely messed up, dunno what's funny about mentioning setting animals on fire as a possible felony or misdemeanour, because in some places it is whether the animal in question is vermin or not. So you can continue to converse like a child, or a rational adult. Your call.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 2:33:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Copper mesh stuffed in cracks and around pipes. UV tracking dust. Close gaps. Trap Trap Trap. Game camera at suspected entry points. Don't use poison. Get a cat or 2.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 3:00:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
.22 birdshot

Whiskey

Profit
View Quote

Was watching a movie at midnight a few years ago...saw a flash of movement over in the kitchen. A huge rat was on a dining table chair. It leaped up on that table and tears into a loaf of bread like he owned the place. A WTF rage set in. The sucker did not even flee until i fully stood.

Ballsy sucker.  This was my first and only rat. Seeing how possessive he was, i deduced he'd be back for seconds. Put a pellet in the Crossman and gave it ten pumps. Placed torn loaf in front metal teash can i stow dog food in (backstop for possible pass through). Inside of 15 minutes he was back.  Ten pumps on the air fifle was more than adequate. Dead rat, blood splatter and pellet dent in the can proved it. It was a very satisfying sniping.

It was not alcohol fueled, but i highly recommend this type of ambush.

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 3:15:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Get a few cats

Greeted by my herd of black cats
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 3:30:00 PM EDT
[#42]
I use these. I'll catch about a half-dozen when the first cold snap rolls through, then an ocasional one throughout the winter.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 3:54:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
My friend got a cat to deal with his mice problem.

That cat killed them all. Only problem is, the cat would chew the heads off in the night and then puke parts of them back up all over the house. Turned one mouse into four! Living in North Dakota they came in from the fields so it was never ending.
View Quote

My daughter has the same problem, lol.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:02:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Killing them is just a bandaid and not a solution.

That being said, the bucket trap is a fantastic way of killing them.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:08:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Is reading too hard for you? As long as you swiftly kill the animal, yes, it's better than being set on fire. Wow.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fucking peta members.

You sound .... triggered! I don't give a fuck what you think anyway.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:10:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Used to get a ton in the pole barn but got a cat and haven’t seen any sense. Best investment ever
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:16:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I use these. I'll catch about a half-dozen when the first cold snap rolls through, then an ocasional one throughout the winter.
http://amgrowcorporate.net.au/barmac/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2016/01/33500-tomcat-mouse-traps.jpg
View Quote

I bought some of those too, but mice are avoiding them for some reason.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:17:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Used to get a ton in the pole barn but got a cat and haven’t seen any sense. Best investment ever
View Quote

A guy down the street has a female Tabby who has a litter once in a while. He gives the kittens away. I'll talk to him and see if he has any available.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:21:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:23:29 PM EDT
[#50]
City people have strange ways - all of your traps and poisons. We keep a pair of chicken snakes in the house and never have to worry about rats and mice. They even crawl up and take care of bird nests in the attic.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top