Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 7/10/2024 10:16:54 AM EDT
Like the title says, I see no value in paying to borrow someone else's house to a place where the price of everything is inflated, spend at least the better portion of a day or 2 just traveling, going somewhere where i don't know anyone and everyone there is trying to fleece me for a dollar.

People tell me it's about the memories and the experience and what not. I can't think of anything much I can't do at home that I can't do anywhere else. I don't remember anything particularly special about any trip I ever took, other than how much it cost and how much everyone argued, and how I didn't have my comforts of home.

I realize nobody else agrees and I'm odd, but I wanted to get it out of my mouth to someone and you guys are the lucky victims. I will be going to a pointless trip at the end of the month to keep my marriage and relationship with my kids intact. But I think it's a colossal waste of time money and energy. Thank you for giving me an outlet. Feel free to flame
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 10:17:32 AM EDT
[#1]
You’re going on the wrong kind of vacations.
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 10:19:15 AM EDT
[#2]
FPNI
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 10:21:03 AM EDT
[#3]
I agree. My idea of taking time for myself is relaxing at home, going to the gun range while they're slow because everyone is at work, and riding my bike at dawn. I have everything I want to do where I am, I just need time to do it.
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 10:21:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By LittleBigHorn:
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/10/2024 10:22:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JBecker_72] [#5]
I'm at the lake house right now drinking a refreshing beer and watching my two year old son play with matchbox cars and rocks. We rented a pontoon boat yesterday and grilled a bunch of steak and seafood for dinner. It's a great time.

I'm going with FPNI!

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/10/2024 10:23:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Try going someplace you might actually want to visit.  Sounds like OP’s getting dragged along to finance someone else’s idea of a vacation.
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 10:24:08 AM EDT
[#7]
The older I get the more I appreciate hobbies closer to home.  I'll take "3 or 4 day weekends " and get more done , enjoy myself more, and be more efficient doing it over traveling long distances

I guess you're not alone in your thinking
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 10:24:30 AM EDT
[#8]
I get seeing new places but I hate traveling.  I need a day or two at home to feel relaxed afterwards.

I travel so my kids get new experiences, if it was just me I'd prefer to stay home.
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 10:25:37 AM EDT
[#9]
View Quote

This ^^^
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 10:25:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: governmentman] [#10]
View Quote

this!

We rent a house at the beach with my parents and my sister's family. It's a week of sun, sand, waves, and family. That particular section of the outer banks is pretty narrow and is mostly single houses, so the beaches don't get overly crowded.

My wife flying a kite on the beach with our boys (early evening)

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 10:25:47 AM EDT
[#11]
I agree with you OP. I don't want to go anywhere for vacation.
I'll make a weekend run on my motorcycle occasionally but no trips.
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 10:26:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: xerxes2695] [#12]
I can’t believe you have the Rocky Mountains and an ocean at home!  That’s super badass!
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 10:28:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Zak406] [#13]
I travelled enough playing hockey. Once I was done I don’t care to travel anymore.  Traveling with 20 of your best friends and staff members is fun but I enjoy home just as much.  

With that being said I live in pa.  It’s amazing to me people will drop 5 grand to go to Florida or Cancun but they never fully explored their home state.  With that all being said your money is your money spend it as you wish.
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 10:28:50 AM EDT
[#14]
I know what you mean.  But where are you going on vacation?  Lame places?  Have you ever been to Hawaii?
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 10:29:24 AM EDT
[#15]
We're on the same page OP.  They typical vacation to me is little more than wealth destruction.  Doing drugs sounds like a better way to spend time and money because at least you get to be high for a bit.
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 10:29:35 AM EDT
[#16]
I agree that vacations suck. Because you have to go back to work sooner or later and find all your work has piled up because no one did it like they were supposed to.

I would recommend retirement over vacations if at all possible.
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 10:30:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Rorshach1980:
Like the title says, I see no value in paying to borrow someone else's house to a place where the price of everything is inflated, spend at least the better portion of a day or 2 just traveling, going somewhere where i don't know anyone and everyone there is trying to fleece me for a dollar.

People tell me it's about the memories and the experience and what not. I can't think of anything much I can't do at home that I can't do anywhere else. I don't remember anything particularly special about any trip I ever took, other than how much it cost and how much everyone argued, and how I didn't have my comforts of home.

I realize nobody else agrees and I'm odd, but I wanted to get it out of my mouth to someone and you guys are the lucky victims. I will be going to a pointless trip at the end of the month to keep my marriage and relationship with my kids intact. But I think it's a colossal waste of time money and energy. Thank you for giving me an outlet. Feel free to flame
View Quote

Agreed. Preparing for one now, imposed by the wife.  The amount of hoops and shit I have to have done before leaving is stressing me out, business and personal.
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 10:32:04 AM EDT
[#18]
I can't think of anything much I can't do at home that I can't do anywhere else. I don't remember anything particularly special about any trip I ever took
View Quote

First, it's okay to not like something. But I will say that based on this you're not going on the right kinds of trips. The whole point is to go somewhere and do something you can't do at home. So...go somewhere different. See something new.
Second, a lot of it is about your own attitude. Yours is bad. You need to adjust your outlook and commit to having fun. Traveling can be tough, but try to be the kind of person that will have a good time anywhere. Life is a lot better that way.

Link Posted: 7/10/2024 10:32:58 AM EDT
[#19]
That isn't even going into the main problem which is dealing with the inevitable disasters that occur when you're gone.
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 10:33:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bohr_Adam] [#20]
Hey guys, not sure what the big deal is about getting laid.

I mean, every time I've hooked up with a fat chick with a stinky cooch, and she clipped clothes pins to my balls and nipples, and charged me by the minutes, it sucked.

Sex is overrated.
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 10:33:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Accountant30339] [#21]
It's a big beautiful world. Go see some of it....

For me, personally.... sitting on a beach is torture. I need physical activity; so a hunting trip, hiking trip, canoe trip, ect... is my kind of adventure / time off from work. When I come home, I want to be absolutely worn out; so I can take my "vacation" sitting at my office desk pushing paper.

As always, FPNI.
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 10:34:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Schedule multi-day rafting trip through the Grand Canyon and it'll change your mind.  

We used Western River Expeditions.
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 10:34:26 AM EDT
[#23]

I don't remember anything particularly special about any trip I ever took, other than how much it cost and how much everyone argued
View Quote

You keep mentioning money, but it sounds like that might be the real problem.  I enjoy spending time with my wife and kids, so money isn't an issue.  If the kids want a $12 ice cream or a $35 t-shirt, who cares.
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 10:34:34 AM EDT
[#24]
I have the Appalachian mountains here at home, and every beach I've been to is the same. Sand everywhere and about 15 yards of water I can explore. Otherwise it's just stores and crap I can see anywhere. Especially since I can be I pigeon forge in 45 minutes.
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 10:34:49 AM EDT
[#25]
I had my young sons running on the beach at dawn, and then watching the sun go down over the north georgia mountains, all in the same week. I've all but forgotten the car ride and the expense already but the pics and their stories are worth it to me.
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 10:34:52 AM EDT
[#26]
If I had the means and the time, the wife and I would spend a year just seeing the US in an RV.
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 10:35:35 AM EDT
[#27]
The only thing that sucks is I am back to and stuck at 3 weeks since changing jobs.    
So there is not enough vacation time, and it tends to go too fast
That’s the only thing about vacations that sucks to me.
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 10:36:01 AM EDT
[#28]
I have the Appalachian mountains here at home, and every beach I've been to is the same. Sand everywhere and about 15 yards of water I can explore. Otherwise it's just stores and crap I can see anywhere. Especially since I can be I pigeon forge in 45 minutes.
View Quote

There's a lot more to the world than mountains, beach, and stores. Those are 3 places I never go when I travel, or I never travel in order to see those things I should say.
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 10:37:14 AM EDT
[#29]
I agree Op
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 10:37:20 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 10:38:07 AM EDT
[#31]
Then don't go. If you are nothing but a grumpy old man who complains about something that hasn't even happened yet, stay home.
Let your family go without you instead of having Mr. Grumpy to drag along.

Me, I enjoy exploring new places and having fun in countries and states that I never visited before. I especially enjoy seeing the smiles on my families faces when we travel for vacation.
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 10:38:35 AM EDT
[#32]
Most of my vacations as a kid were spent at my parents lake cabin 45 minutes away from home.

Now I would rather spend time at our own lake place 75 minutes away than deal with a crowded cruise ship, airports and score of other people.

Call me a stick in the mud if you want.

Link Posted: 7/10/2024 10:39:32 AM EDT
[#33]
You're doing it wrong.

Like so wrong.
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 10:39:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NCPatrolAR] [#34]
Vacations are what you want them to be. You dont have to go anywhere special or do anything special if you dont want.  I rarely take time off from work other than a day here or there and thats usually to cover getting something done or to cover a class Im taking or teaching.  I am taking a week off this month, mainly because Im tired of everyone else being gone for a week or two at a time, and dont plan on going anywhere.  Im going to hang out with the GF, go to the range, do some BJJ, etc.  Basically what I normally do just without having to go to work.
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 10:40:03 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By xerxes2695:
I can’t believe you have the Rocky Mountains and an ocean at home!  That’s super badass!
View Quote

And he has all inclusive resorts, and historic sites .
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 10:40:04 AM EDT
[#36]
How to vacation:

Link Posted: 7/10/2024 10:40:06 AM EDT
[#37]
I mostly agree. I have no desire to go visit national parks or anything like that. I'm happy to go on local hikes and explore what's in our general area. With that said, I've been to Hawaii once and am glad I did it but don't have any motivation to do it again. I expect I'll go to Europe once in the future just to see what it's like, but that may always be 'next year' and might never happen.
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 10:40:06 AM EDT
[#38]
View Quote

Or you have the ideal life.
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 10:41:08 AM EDT
[#39]
Careful OP. GD is the place of millionaires with unlimited vacation time and unlimited budgets.
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 10:42:02 AM EDT
[#40]
when the kids were younger vacations were great, rent a cabin at a lake for a week, swim, fish, boat go out to eat, campfires and so on.
Providing and watching the kids have a blast was the big reason to vacation.
But now when older and its just me and the wife I don't really want to go anywhere.
Flying is a royal pain, driving isn't as enjoyable as it one was, staying in motels/hotels sucks and so on.

I'm retired so escape from work isn't an issue, in fact going away keeps me from getting things done around the home/land that I value more.
In fact now I'm to the point if I never go anywhere again in my life I'd be fine with that.

So just like about everything in life it all depends upon your situation, and for me OP is right.
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 10:42:21 AM EDT
[#41]
I had fun once, it was awful
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 10:42:53 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 10:43:01 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By slimslade:
Careful OP. GD is the place of millionaires with unlimited vacation time and unlimited budgets.
View Quote

Alternatively some of us use our vacation days efficiently, travel cheaply, and/or have gone a lot of places on Uncle Sam's dime.
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 10:43:30 AM EDT
[#44]
"I will be going to a pointless trip at the end of the month to keep my marriage and relationship with my kids intact. But I think it's a colossal waste of time money and energy."

Wow, I can't imagine why you are having trouble with your life OP. But I'm sure whining about it on GD is a first step is making everything all right.
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 10:43:51 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By fxntime:
I agree that vacations suck. Because you have to go back to work sooner or later and find all your work has piled up because no one did it like they were supposed to.

View Quote

This is the way.
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 10:46:56 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By wildearp:
How to vacation:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/41996/IMG_2160_JPG-3214379.jpg
View Quote

used to be in the car scene, people always telling whats wrong with your car, dudes with their never ending dick measuring "may car is faster"  crap, clowns telling that so and so used to have a car exactly like that and on and on.

No thanks

Just sitting in a chair and listening to it gets repetitive and boring after awhile.
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 10:47:22 AM EDT
[#47]
I agree to an extent. I don’t go anywhere, it’s just me, why would I go anywhere? Flying is FUCKING TERRIBLE. Travel is horrific.

First, plane tickets. Prices wildly fluctuating by hundreds of dollars, the fuck is this shit. Hotels, same shit as plane tickets although to a lesser degree. Getting to the airport? Terrible no matter what. Take an hour long Uber? Pay out the ass for parking? TSA? Jet lag?

All for what? It can be fun to be at a different place with the right people. But the process is a PROCESS.

And you come back from “vacation” more exhausted than when you left. How about nah. I’ll just stay home.
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 10:47:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Michaelson] [#48]

View Quote

I pretty much agree with you.

Although I do have fun on vacations, I much prefer laying in bed or on my couch reading a good book with the occasional snack. Like I'm doing now.

I'm lucky in that my pleasures are cheap.
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 10:50:21 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By fxntime:

View Quote
Get both!
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 10:50:55 AM EDT
[#50]
I can't even remember tye last time I went anywhere on vacation. I always just chill at home and don't do shit. Don't even see anyone. Just go into hermit mode.

The shitty part is going back to work the next week.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top